Gabbypie64

Aster World Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What Should I do for the storyline of my first game a simple story like an old Final Fantasy game or should I aim hire am making my own custom tilesets for this so any advise

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Gabbypie64 It's always easier to finish a game when the storyline is simple and you're just using the RTP. If you don't mind taking years to finish your dream game, then you can aim a little higher.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to get people's opinion on Vampires...
What element(s) would a Vampire be resistant to besides Dark/Shadow?
Choices are: Fire, Ice, & Lightning

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From those three, I'd go with Ice. Fire has this mythological point as being used to purify (burning witches etc) and lightning does, more or less, the same thing to our body as fire. Ice would make more sense considering what vampires are active during nights, which are far cooler by default.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ice! As in, vamps are already cold as corpses. :biggrin: According to traditional western storytelling, anyway. (Unless ya going with them Slavic vampire watermelons, in which case ice would probably wilt them!)

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, guess I'll have to change Werewolves to be resistant to something besides Ice then. I had initially given them the Frost Resistance cuz they had fur to keep warm lol. What resistance should I give Werewolves: Fire or Lightning?

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK so this has been a dilemma I've been having while making my first RPG. In my combat system I'm trying to subvert the typical JRPG formula of having the "3 spells with the same name and function but each stronger than the former" kind of spell-making. So for all of my characters every time they level up they will get themselves instead a new and unique spell as they level up. Though I was afraid that this formula might not worked and I might be forced to just follow the JRPG spell formula since that's what people want.

My only question here is if my formula could ever work and is it unique enough?

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'd be surprised that many people actually find the "3 spells with the same name and function but each stronger than the former" formula rather boring. I've totally avoided going that route in my game. Each spell/skill has its own unique effects and are viable even up to end game, including the early game ones.

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's great! Good thing I'm not alone with that implemented mechanic and that people actually think that formula is boring. I actually have a select few skills that sorta follow the formula but there are differences.

The starter spell for my Hunter, Silver Bullet, does Physical Holy damage. It's a reliable alternative for your basic attack and it's also good against undead and evil creatures.

These spells I am going to make in the future but they're basically a sort of upgrade for Silver Bullet. Golden Bullet does pathetic damage to normal enemies but does insane damage to evil enemies. And then the direct upgrade, Divine Bullet, does more damage than Silver Bullet but its more expensive in mana cost and has lesser accuracy. It also doesn't crit unlike Silver Bullet. I bet this could at least give the players a late game option while also not making them the "3 spells with the same name and function but each stronger than the former" formula. Cuz in my games, I want the players to not forget Silver Bullet and for them to make it their go-to undead-slaying tool.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The way I handled my Archer class is this: Bows will have an "augment" slot called Arrows, which will allow you to use different types of arrows that adds an extra element or effect to your attacks. So similar to your example, if I were to put "Silver Arrows" into that slot, your attacks w/ the Bow will deal Holy + Pierce (all Bows naturally deal Pierce damage, and I use Yanfly's ElementCore to give it multi-elements) damage.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, guess I'll have to change Werewolves to be resistant to something besides Ice then. I had initially given them the Frost Resistance cuz they had fur to keep warm lol. What resistance should I give Werewolves: Fire or Lightning?
Not sure. Do the werewolves have to have a resistance? Suppose they didn't have an elemental resistance, but were just really buff or something? Like, they'd have additional physical defence or summat? Or just more HP?

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure. Do the werewolves have to have a resistance? Suppose they didn't have an elemental resistance, but were just really buff or something? Like, they'd have additional physical defence or summat? Or just more HP?
Hmm, I guess it'll be easier to just give all 3 of my playable races no elemental resistances lol.

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The way I handled my Archer class is this: Bows will have an "augment" slot called Arrows, which will allow you to use different types of arrows that adds an extra element or effect to your attacks. So similar to your example, if I were to put "Silver Arrows" into that slot, your attacks w/ the Bow will deal Holy + Pierce (all Bows naturally deal Pierce damage, and I use Yanfly's ElementCore to give it multi-elements) damage.
Cool! In my games a character will gain new skills depending on the weapons they equip. My Hunter class can equip pistols, shotguns, and knives, and equipping pistol and shotgun grants you access to Silver Bullet and all other gun-based spells. Each weapon also have an element that makes them effective against a certain armor. Pistols do pierce damage, shotguns do blunt damage, and knives do slash damage. Though in my Silver Bullet's case I decided to not give it either pierce or blunt element and just have its elements be Physical and Holy cuz in my design its like an alternative basic attack and it can't be both pierce and blunt and either. However my other spells like Wild Barrage are Physical Pierce and Loud Roar is Physical Blunt. I kept each spell at 2 elements at most to avoid nuance to my design. I too have Yanfly's Element Core to help me with multi-element damage.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is "physical" an element in your game or are you referring to Hit Type (Certain/Physical/Magical)?

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is "physical" an element in your game or are you referring to Hit Type (Certain/Physical/Magical)?
Yeah, I made Physical and Magical elements in my game so that I could make enemies who have general resistance to either of those elements. For example my spell Fireball is Magical and Fire, Silver Bullet is Physical and Holy. There are enemies who resist magical damage and the class Shaman has a natural resistance to any magic in general.

And as I mentioned before I match each weapon element to counter certain armor while some armor also resist it. For example pierce is effective against magic armor but weak against light armor. I have 4 armor types: light, medium, heavy, and magic,equipped by the Hunter, Cleric, Paladin, and Shaman respectively. I made magic its own element that is weak against the magic armor but effective against heavy. To have some sort of mix and match with how enemies interact with each characters and for the player to make sure that the main tank won't get overwhelmed by the element he's weak to.

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hai hai!

I'm making a game with only two party members and one major dungeon. I'm a bit stuck on how I can make game-play "riveting" with such minimal... qualities?

What would be a good battle system? I keep thinking of games like Paper Mario or Mystery Dungeons - which usually have a two-person team. I'm not sure I could do a Mystery Dungeon though.

Should I make the major dungeon long (almost like an old-school dungeon crawler) or have other, small-ish areas the party could travel to?

Thanks for any feedback!

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
U can make puzzles that require teamwork! I believe Hime has a plugin that allows for the party to be split. So maybe actor1 needs to stand on a button while actor2 goes to pull a lever or something, idk.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GoodSelf, seems a cool idea. There's already games that ignore the overworld, and games that have towns as dungeons; having a game that's *just* overworld could be novel. What ideas didja have in mind in place of dungeons, towns, et cetera?

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@GoodSelf, seems a cool idea. There's already games that ignore the overworld, and games that have towns as dungeons; having a game that's *just* overworld could be novel. What ideas didja have in mind in place of dungeons, towns, et cetera?
Towns are open, with walls surrounding them, and dungeons are a series of battles split across branching paths with dialouge thrown in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The nick "Toeuia" that I'm using comes from a, idk, you okay the chess game while chit chatting them. The first two are students. Then you know, finally, the champion, and then the champion's sensei. I played like this so many times until suddenly there's another chess master. Very naive but super smart. After he lost, he kinda advised me not to give up on chest. Because the next one was never seen beaten. Touya.
I'm currently playing Ara Fell - I can see why it's had generally good reviews. The exploration aspect is pretty strong and the writing is passable.

The game auto-saves and offers an option to turn back just before each major combat, and immediately brings the player back to the last position saved when there's a TPK. Convenient at the very least.
This is Krizzirk Toeuia Aeslan, I'm picking up transmission. Draftwingeds on, duty on, exhaust ready. 310 Immulicationsers approaching. I'll take the cake and----hold it!!! My Cosvere Radar detected 3001 of them!!
11 hours of programming... Only to add two more zoom levels.
Well, that's what happens when you decide between minimap and zoom too late.

It's my cute little ghost~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerdiPanther