QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What Should I do for the storyline of my first game a simple story like an old Final Fantasy game or should I aim hire am making my own custom tilesets for this so any advise
You'll never go wrong with "four heroes foretold by prophecy save the world from an evil clown/wizard"!

How do you all feel about an rpg that takes place entirely on the world map?
Love it. Would just aim to make the world map art varied enough to stay interesting.

I am testing a similar idea in a science-fiction project I'm toying with -- when a player "lands" on a planet (via an overworld "space" map) they are placed on an overworld "planet" map where they can find locations to visit (e.g. cities, factories, etc.), and then when they access those locations, they are prompted (if it's a big enough area like a city) to choose the more specific location they would like to visit (e.g. particular locations within the city) which then have interior/exterior maps. Hoping it facilitates creating a larger game and gives the illusion of a larger world because I only need to map the specific locations players will visit (e.g. a bar, or an apartment, or an alleyway), as opposed to, say, a whole city. And I can also make certain locations only appear as options when the player learns of them or has a mission there, etc.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's an idea that I'll do when MZ comes out, titled Fall of the Bastion.

Setting: The Bastion is the last stronghold of the Gilded Empire. It is beset by evil from all sides, but is nearly impenetrable thanks to the elite Gilded Army and the tangled network of ruins that surround it, forcing attacks to be small amounts of minions at a time. Inside the Bastion lies the Glimmer of the Heavens, a gemstone that is prophesized to destroy all evil when the Empire’s need is dire. This gem is the target of the Abyssal Guild, a group of villains that have combined their forces to take down the Empire once and for all, before the prophecy comes true (self-fulfilling prophecy much?)

You are a small-time villain, with barely any coin or minions to their name (can be male or female). You have been tasked to find a way into the Bastion, and can go two different ways: The Outer Ruins, or the Sewers. Each has several areas that you must fight through before attacking the Bastion itself. The Outer Ruins is the remains of the Gilded City, the remains of the outer walls of the Bastion, and the open fields before the Bastion, where the grass underfoot is swollen with blood and covered with decaying corpses, left for the crows. The Sewers is where the runoff of the Empire flows through, and connects to a different part of the Gilded City. This part is much closer to the Bastion, and blocks many shots from the Empire’s archers and other ranged forces due to the remains of houses and other buildings. There are numerous traps in each zone, so these can cut your attack short if you’re not careful.

Gameplay:

You can choose a variety of minions each excursion. If all of them die, the game is not over, it just goes back to the Abyssal Guild’s base camp, a conquered castle near the Bastion, and you can choose your next hapless group. There’s a wide variety of minions, some easily killed while others can take a lot of hits, and range from lowly Imps to the mighty Champions of Evil. There’s a variety of items to buy that make your journey easier, and you can buy equipment for your minions.

When you choose what zone you want to attack, there are random chests in preset locations that spawn. Each chest can contain gold, Heroic Relics, Evil Relics, and other items. They are grouped into Old, Gilded, Legendary, Vaulted (Evil Relics only) types. There are also lootable containers like Dusty Bookshelves, Forgotten Crates, Forgotten Pots, Old Furniture, etc. All gold you find goes into your coffers, and Relics have a variety of uses. They can be equipped to your minions if they are Evil Relics, while Heroic Relics can be melted down into gold or turned into Evil Relics. Both types of Relics can be traded to a Scholar of Heresy for stuff I haven’t figured out yet.

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
space fantasy game

The base concept of this game is basically a fantasy setting that has reached the early space age and is now in the early phases of colonizing a new planet and discovering its secrets. No, I am not talking about fantasy with a sci fi coat of paint like space elves wielding lightsabers and psionics; I am talking about literal elves, dwarves and beast men wielding (relatively) mundane swords and explicitly using magic and going into space.

For an example look up Spelljammer or Gloryhammer’s Space 1992.

To this end, various concepts associated with both can be reinterpreted to fit the setting:

Robots are easily replaced with golems and cyborgs are called demi-golems.

Space colonies are reinterpreted as floating continents as opposed to something like an O'Neill cylinder.

On the more fantasy/mythology side of things reinterpreted, a structure like the Tower of Babel could be a space elevator.

On a spell list basis light spells could include the user conjuring up lasers for example, while fire/electric spells could include plasma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Small Update for myself:
>Two Dungeon maps are done, Dungeon 3 is in progress. Dungeon 4 needs work.
>4 characters set up out of a possible 6 but those come later.
>Hub area needs work.
>Game completion..., 20-25% maybe?
Does anyone else find writing dialogue hard?
You guys want more tutorials? Well not only are we doing new video tutorials with Driftwood, we've also brought in two contributing authors for the blog to get a new tutorial every week! First one here from @Avery
https://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/tutorial-mapping-interior/

Next week we'll get something from @hiddenone
Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ighjku