QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What Should I do for the storyline of my first game a simple story like an old Final Fantasy game or should I aim hire am making my own custom tilesets for this so any advise
You'll never go wrong with "four heroes foretold by prophecy save the world from an evil clown/wizard"!

How do you all feel about an rpg that takes place entirely on the world map?
Love it. Would just aim to make the world map art varied enough to stay interesting.

I am testing a similar idea in a science-fiction project I'm toying with -- when a player "lands" on a planet (via an overworld "space" map) they are placed on an overworld "planet" map where they can find locations to visit (e.g. cities, factories, etc.), and then when they access those locations, they are prompted (if it's a big enough area like a city) to choose the more specific location they would like to visit (e.g. particular locations within the city) which then have interior/exterior maps. Hoping it facilitates creating a larger game and gives the illusion of a larger world because I only need to map the specific locations players will visit (e.g. a bar, or an apartment, or an alleyway), as opposed to, say, a whole city. And I can also make certain locations only appear as options when the player learns of them or has a mission there, etc.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's an idea that I'll do when MZ comes out, titled Fall of the Bastion.

Setting: The Bastion is the last stronghold of the Gilded Empire. It is beset by evil from all sides, but is nearly impenetrable thanks to the elite Gilded Army and the tangled network of ruins that surround it, forcing attacks to be small amounts of minions at a time. Inside the Bastion lies the Glimmer of the Heavens, a gemstone that is prophesized to destroy all evil when the Empire’s need is dire. This gem is the target of the Abyssal Guild, a group of villains that have combined their forces to take down the Empire once and for all, before the prophecy comes true (self-fulfilling prophecy much?)

You are a small-time villain, with barely any coin or minions to their name (can be male or female). You have been tasked to find a way into the Bastion, and can go two different ways: The Outer Ruins, or the Sewers. Each has several areas that you must fight through before attacking the Bastion itself. The Outer Ruins is the remains of the Gilded City, the remains of the outer walls of the Bastion, and the open fields before the Bastion, where the grass underfoot is swollen with blood and covered with decaying corpses, left for the crows. The Sewers is where the runoff of the Empire flows through, and connects to a different part of the Gilded City. This part is much closer to the Bastion, and blocks many shots from the Empire’s archers and other ranged forces due to the remains of houses and other buildings. There are numerous traps in each zone, so these can cut your attack short if you’re not careful.

Gameplay:

You can choose a variety of minions each excursion. If all of them die, the game is not over, it just goes back to the Abyssal Guild’s base camp, a conquered castle near the Bastion, and you can choose your next hapless group. There’s a wide variety of minions, some easily killed while others can take a lot of hits, and range from lowly Imps to the mighty Champions of Evil. There’s a variety of items to buy that make your journey easier, and you can buy equipment for your minions.

When you choose what zone you want to attack, there are random chests in preset locations that spawn. Each chest can contain gold, Heroic Relics, Evil Relics, and other items. They are grouped into Old, Gilded, Legendary, Vaulted (Evil Relics only) types. There are also lootable containers like Dusty Bookshelves, Forgotten Crates, Forgotten Pots, Old Furniture, etc. All gold you find goes into your coffers, and Relics have a variety of uses. They can be equipped to your minions if they are Evil Relics, while Heroic Relics can be melted down into gold or turned into Evil Relics. Both types of Relics can be traded to a Scholar of Heresy for stuff I haven’t figured out yet.

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
space fantasy game

The base concept of this game is basically a fantasy setting that has reached the early space age and is now in the early phases of colonizing a new planet and discovering its secrets. No, I am not talking about fantasy with a sci fi coat of paint like space elves wielding lightsabers and psionics; I am talking about literal elves, dwarves and beast men wielding (relatively) mundane swords and explicitly using magic and going into space.

For an example look up Spelljammer or Gloryhammer’s Space 1992.

To this end, various concepts associated with both can be reinterpreted to fit the setting:

Robots are easily replaced with golems and cyborgs are called demi-golems.

Space colonies are reinterpreted as floating continents as opposed to something like an O'Neill cylinder.

On the more fantasy/mythology side of things reinterpreted, a structure like the Tower of Babel could be a space elevator.

On a spell list basis light spells could include the user conjuring up lasers for example, while fire/electric spells could include plasma.

Nekohime1989

Nekohime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have decided to do something rather interesting. I tried to assemble a more interesting party then normal. I'm aiming more fore comedic value here.

Anyways Girl Power!

Sonia: The only spell caster in this game. (Yes I'm that mean) also the main character. She learns spells from spell books. (This mechanic is inspired by archies spell mechanic from Tales of Phantasia)

Tessa: An elf-poser that harbors bloodthirsty thoughts that her exile failed to quell.
Her skills involve bloodlust, archery, and just plain torture.

Amelia: A incredibly brave (or incredibly stupid) knight that has a habit of running off head first into danger ruining the parties hard planning) Reminds me of that guy from WoW.
Her skills involve plain stupidity.

Bianca: A immortal bandit. (She dies a lot during the course of the game, some times on purpose, other times are just an accident) (this is a reference to cannon busters MC of course.
She has an auto revive mechanic and some of her skills use HP. Heck her most powerful skills One shots herself but inflicts massive damage to one enemy.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

Nekohime1989, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

NeoArashi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After making this topic last year: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/academia-legends-working-title.106445/#post-950586

I realise I'm going way over my head, so I've had these two small ideas.

1-A legend of Zelda RPG. The party would consist of Link, Zelda, and two other characters. They would traverse through about 3 dungeons, after which Link would get the Master Sword, after doing more dungeons (around 5 ot 6 more) Link would get an ''awakened'' Master Sword (so he'd have a more powerful sword at the end) And then there would obviously be a final dungeon where the party defeat the main antagonist (wether or not it's Ganon). To mimic the usual ''start with 3 hearts, ends with 20 if you get al pieces of heart'' Each characters would start with 300 HP, and each time the party finds 4 or 5 pieces of hearts (or defeat a boss) their HP would permanantly increase by 100, up to a max of 2000. Also, for the MPs, since Link usually has a specific set of MPs in Zelda games that have a magic gauge, the party would start with 0 MP but several magic crystal would increase their max MP by 2 permanantly (up to 100, so there would be 50 magic crystals). All the other stats (defenc, attack, magic and speed) would increase via traditional level up. In a sence, that part would work like Zelda 2 (Strenght, Defence and Magic cost were improved via level up, while max HP/MP were increased via collectibles)

2-A game that has the obligatory ''chosen one that must gather the magic crystals'' or something like that. HOWEVER, instead of having the main protagonist or one of his close friends be the chosen one, the chosen one would be one of the MAIN antagonist for the entire first (and perhaps second) act(s) of the game. The reason for this would be that he is fully aware of being the chosen one, but the prophecy involving him also involve a possible cataclysmic demon to defeat, so he chose to try to stop the party who are in search of the ''magic crystals'' and the chosen one to prevent that part of the profecy to be fulfilled. And during mid-game, I could pull a Dragon Quest XI and have the guy who opposed you all this time join your party after **** started up. EDIT: If that proves to be an equally too big of an endeavor as the link I posted, I could simply make the part before the ''chosen one'' joins teh party as a first game, and the rest as a second.

Last edited:

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably not an entirely original idea, but what is anymore?

Also it is just that. An idea.
I honestly have no intention of making a game following this.

Mostly just throwing it out. If someone has creator's block about a game idea and likes this idea feel free to use it.

The classic RPG follows the formula of 4 heroes of light defeating a force of darkness.

Reverse it.

You start as a the weakest RPG enemy around. A slime.

Our humble slime embarks on a journey as he is the chosen slime of destiny.

Along the way you recruit a goblin, an evil wizard, and other standard RPG enemies. Eventually even a demon god.

Your goal is to maintain the balance between light and darkness, by restoring darkness.

Our villains are 4 heroes of light who have become pompous and arrogant
after saving the world some time back.

A basic RPG turned on its head idea.
I know playing as the villain has been done before. But not enough in my opinion.

I think there's material for a light hearted quirky RPG of sorts here.

Edit Actually looking back through the thread this is a bit too similar @cthulhusquid 's idea.

Never mind.

Last edited:

GMDev997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bianca: A immortal bandit. (She dies a lot during the course of the game, some times on purpose, other times are just an accident) (this is a reference to cannon busters MC of course.
She has an auto revive mechanic and some of her skills use HP. Heck her most powerful skills One shots herself but inflicts massive damage to one enemy.
That immortality mechanic actually sounds pretty cool, and using it for the narrative could either make for some seriously funny or seriously dramatic moments. Don't have much to say for the others, but I like the Leeroy Jenkins reference. Could be another fun character!

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have this idea for a druid game, but I can't seem to motivate to work on it beyond graphics at this stage. 1599881218724.png
And not even standard sizes, like 20px canvass size.

Basically you're a druid who has kept a tree from sapling, and it's now struggling to continue growth. You have to find a mandrake to discover a secret curse. that's about it.

I thought maybe the druid would have beast speech, and more rp related aspects, and basically no real combat involved. More decisions matter to a point of extreme.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been testing out making a game, probably a relatively short game (1-3 hours long) where you control a king who has to balance resources (Support, Military, Gold, etc) by making choices (For example, a rival kingdom burned down a mans farm. Do you use Gold to help him rebuild or turn him away?)
At the end of the day, you can either gain or lose resources based on choices made along with other upgrades.
You can also buy upgrades at the end of the day with Gold.

Haven't really decided what the overall plot should be, though.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Idea; Mech RPG. You can swap actors out of machines and equip the machines with weapons and gear. Addtionally, combat is based around managing resources like bullets and misslies along with keeping everyone's Heat to a managable level. Max Heat leads into an Overheat state that lowers your stats, but some skills may interact with it (Such as a Super Heated charge, an attack that's only possible in overheat for high damage)

MetalKing11417

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Idea; Mech RPG. You can swap actors out of machines and equip the machines with weapons and gear. Addtionally, combat is based around managing resources like bullets and misslies along with keeping everyone's Heat to a managable level. Max Heat leads into an Overheat state that lowers your stats, but some skills may interact with it (Such as a Super Heated charge, an attack that's only possible in overheat for high damage)
Did you get that from battletech/Mech Warrior?

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you get that from battletech/Mech Warrior?
While I have played Battletech, Overheat in that setting is almost always univerisally bad as I understand it.

The spin I'm thinking makes a player weigh the choices of going into Overheat or not depending on the pilot, machine or parts you have.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
While I have played Battletech, Overheat in that setting is almost always univerisally bad as I understand it.

The spin I'm thinking makes a player weigh the choices of going into Overheat or not depending on the pilot, machine or parts you have.
Ah so like Robo ky from guilty gear than (as overheat makes him better but if he doesnt lower the heat he explodes). I realize it isnt really one to one but its just an example of a similar idea, and i like it.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah so like Robo ky from guilty gear than (as overheat makes him better but if he doesnt lower the heat he explodes). I realize it isnt really one to one but its just an example of a similar idea, and i like it.
Basically. Entering Overheat would probably cause the numbers to have a greater effect; higher highs, lower lowers.

Overheat might give you far more poweful attacks to use, or maybe a heal that cycles you out of the condtion, but staying in it for long periods can result an lowered stats and thus more damage incoming.

The idea would be figure out when are good times to Overheat, what skills/items could help manage it, and quite possibly, forcing the enemy into or out of Overheat themselves.

I'm testing it now a bit with the "Vent" command, reflavored Defend, and seeing how it feels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"I want custom, more lively looking grass for my forest map."

"Just set overworld grass as outside grass."

--RM Wisdom--
Any thoughts on my hexagon map system?
Idk where this post would go, so how do you change the font of the choice selection window? I have a different font for the game so it looks a little odd could someone tell me where this would go on the forum?
RPG Maker MZ demo -project with some new features:
I don't really have a use for this guy, I just wanted to build a plague doctor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loomer_