Idle Battle Actions Idea

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by MrKiwi, Jun 20, 2019.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi No Flying Bird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I was thinking about making battle system more "dynamic" (At least, that's the idea :kaoswt2:), I think an ATB system would fit for this.

Okay, lets say we're in a battle (ATB based), so whoever charges its action gauge gets to attack, heal or whatever, but, there are is a time when none of your characters are able to move (Assuming you have a party rather than 1 fighter), the thing is, could we give him something to do meanwhile?

This is my idea, those "idle" fighters (Both actors and enemies) could use a Defend/Dodge/Counter/Charge command or just stand normally.
    - The Defend command: this would be the normal defense command. The only difference would be when you use it. Reduces physical damage.
    - The Dodge command: Its no perfect, just increases your dodge chances for physical attacks until it gets his turn again.
    - The Counter command: Like above, increases your counerattack chances for physical attacks.
    - The Charge command: The character charges MP but lowers its DEF, this charge is constant until its next turn starts.
    You can choose only one of these, or none, per "idle turn".

What do you guys think about this? :kaopride:

2. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MrKiwi It would be cool :cool: if you can find a way to implement it :unsure: to have players select one of these as the preferred command for a character as their "inactive" response to incoming attacks while awaiting their "active" turn, and resuming until the end of the battle turn. I could totally see players choosing Defend for characters with low DEF, Dodge for characters with high AGI and/or Evasion Rate, Counter for characters with high ATK, or charge for magic users. Counter would probably gain popularity across the party as the enemy troop HP dwindles. Of course, these can be used in other circumstances and scenarios as well, but I'm just highlighting some of the ways I see it giving "pop" to gameplay. That being said...is there an enemy offset, or any downside to these? They seem like no-brainers that every player would rather pick at least one per character as an advantage. Also, based on how you describe them, Defend, Dodge, and Charge still seem...pretty static. Actively selecting Counter to force a counter-attack brings life to a defender, but the rest are, as you say, just like the standard with stat bonuses, so...how are they more "dynamic"? Don't get me wrong...I like the idea. :smile: I'd say toy with it a little more. Maybe Defend reduces physical damage, but makes being hit more likely. Maybe dodge makes being hit less likely, but gives a higher damage when hit. Maybe counter increases your chance for counterattack, but if activated slows your ATB gauge so you have to wait longer (get pushed back in the attack order) before your actual "active" attack (if not already made). I think you already had the right idea with Charge...lowering DEF...you just need something on the downside for the rest to make these actual strategic decisions for the player. That will make the experience more interesting. Then just try to find a way to make Defend, Dodge, and Charge more "dynamic" and the whole system would, imo, make the game more fun. :wink:

3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I assume that when you say "ATB" in this context, you are talking about an ATB system where time will continue to flow, and enemies will continue to attack, while you're browsing menus, etc.? Because if not, it would just bring up oddities like "when is the player allowed to give this command?", and it would be better to just speed up the time when no one is acting to light-speed.

The way I would probably handle something like this is a continuous ATB is to have the defense commands work for just a second or two, rather than until the player's next turn (forcing the player to stay aware of what's happening and react quickly), but make them reliable (100% dodge/counter/etc. if timed right, not "higher chance"). If it seems like the player would be able to avoid everything too reliably, then you could add cooldowns on each command (which would also be cool because it would force the player to utilize each type of defense).

4. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't think there should be "downtime" in turn-based systems.

Any time not spent either in a menu, inflicting a state, a buff/debuff, healing, nor inflicting damage seems wasted.