If an intruder came into your home

Qeej

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
An intruder came once and this is what happened...

john-cena-aa-fu-the-rock-o.gif

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
I my country we usually don't keep guns in our flats. They are heavily restricted so this is not really an option. The crime rate regarding home invasion is not that high here. It happens, yes, but at least currently it is not something you have to worry about every day. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful tho.

How would I react? Most of the times intruders also do not have guns. It is still a gamble however. When I am home alone I would lock the door to the bedroom and call the cops. No reason to risk my life for some BS that is insured anyway.

Different story when my fiancee would be there. Gotta protect my family. I'm a trained kendo and iaido fighter and I keep my iaido sword in my bedroom. I would strongly prefer not to but if I am forced to I can probably cut down a man before he knows whats up. So if there are "only" one or two intruders present I hope that I could neutralize them. However, there is still a chance to screw up and I would prefer not to get into this situation at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I think there is a large difference in what I would do if I was home alone versus what I would do if my family was there.

RoseofCrimson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Depends on the circumstances...

Are they in need of help or running from someone?

Is there malicious intent?

Are they armed, am I armed?

Can I intimidate them? Is there some sort of serial killer on the loose?

AceTheMad

Village Madman but Upgraded
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beat them down with a frying pan, chainsaw them, and possibly defenestrate them. And to finish it off, call the cops. Self defense.
Did I mention incinerating them? That would do it.

AceTheMad

Village Madman but Upgraded
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The irony though, is that statistically speaking, gun owners are more likely to be killed in home intrusions than non-gun owners.

What people don't seem to consider is that most intruders are not in your house to kill you - they are there to steal your

valuables. However, if they start thinking they aren't going to be able to do that and get away with it, many of them will ramp

up the amount of force they're willing to do to avoid consequences (especially in places like the U.S in states with

three-strikes rules).

If somebody comes into your house, and you just sleep on, they're likely to leave once they have what they came for -

However, if you alert them you might very well have an encounter on your hand, and that encounter might just as well

end in your death as in the death of the intruder.

While I generally don't like 4chan logic, the statement "trying is the first step to failing" rings true in this scenario,

because failure is a true option even with a gun, and it's much easier to avoid by simply not trying in the first place.

What's more important to you? Your things, which you can have insured? Or your life?

Fact of the matter - you don't know who's in your house if you hear something. It could be one unarmed hungry hobo, or

it could be 2-3 guys in a burglary ring armed with anything from 9mms to crowbars.

You take out your pistol, and start going down the stairs.

Maybe you shoot one of them, and then another of them shoots or hits you in the back. Now they're in a frenzy and looking

to get rid of witnesses before leaving your place so they kill your family too as insurance.

Now, is this a likely scenario? Not very. However, every burglary is a Schrödinger's death-trap waiting to happen,

and it's more likely to happen if you take out your gun thinking to play the hero of the day.

Just saying - and I'm "just saying it" as a person who's worked in the private security sector, as among other things,

a body-guard (I'm willing to put up credentials if you find that hard to believe given the forum we're on).
CLEARLY, you haven't met my sister. She IS the Illuminati, the Mafia, the Yakuza, and any other crime organizations you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garsto

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm going to assume that the intruder has bad intentions, haha!

In which case I sneak around the intruder very ninja-like, looking for something big enough to knock him out with, then ambush him. :D

KockaAdmiralac

Cube-shaped garbage can
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
N/A
It is very rare here in Serbia, supposing that your house is locked, to have a thief in your house.

It happened to my family about... 2-3 years (I forgot :) ) ago that my sister left doors unlocked (closed, but unlocked) and some random guy entered, and picked up something that he thought it was a wallet from my dad. Parents were cleaning the house, so they didn't hear because of the vaccuum (vacuum? vaccum?) cleaner. I saw him exiting, and I didn't realize that was the thief until I noticed all of family members are currently in the house.

So, after I told that to my dad, he just called the bank to block his credit cards.

Fun thing is that he didn't even pick up something that is worth money.

He picked up something that was looking like a wallet but was containing father's and mother's driving license and an iD card, and some credit cards that got blocked immediately. After realizing that, he tossed the thing he thought it was wallet somewhere and some random man found it and returned it.

And I still can't imagine his face when he opened the "wallet" :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Daz3D has the weirdest number scheme for model generations...
Genesis 4 is the 4th generation and oldest currently available, Genesis 1 is the 5th generation, Genesis 2 is the 6th, 3 is the 7th.... And then it goes Genesis 8. So 4, 1, 2, 3, 8. So when looking through there store you have to remember that sometimes they'll say 6 but they mean 3, and vice versa. :kaoswt:
Would opening a topic with the tutorial be interesting?
Just finished my first Slip into Ruby since last July! It'll be up and added to the main post tomorrow, along with a new Jump into Javascript.
to pass the time.pngTesting out making boxes and packs of items. These things are always fun to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captainness