IF. [Demo now Available!]

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Culture and Religion: (This is huge, so I put it in a spoiler. And it really is a spoiler.)

Terrafidemism

This religion features many gods and goddesses ruled by one god known as Rexus, god of lords and kings. Rexus created the world through an egg. This event is known as the Hatching. Rexus created the lower gods and asked them to perform actions for him. Fortitudo, the god of strength, shaped the earthlands with his great hands. Herba, goddess of plants and animals, made the first grass grow upon the earthlands. Legem, the god of law, created things such as gravity, a 24 hour day, and cycles and behaviors to animals. Vita, the goddess of souls, being particularly fond of the animal man, gave them souls, and separated them from animals and beasts. Then Rexus created the lower gods. Fortuna, goddess of luck, Affectus, god of emotion, Revero and Illusio, gods of reality and illusion, and others.

Omnimortemism

In this religion, it is believed that those who do not worship the idol known as Homourata must die immediately, as they are not of sound mind. Wherever Homourata is, he is always by a few followers who exalt him. They believe that he shall come to life one day as Persona Finis, their messiah.

Homo Spiritus

Homo Spiritus is the human race of this world. Their body may die from injury, but their soul will live until it dies of old age. Medicine has been made to resurrect the body and thus give life back to some who fell in battle. If the soul dies of old age, then the body dies with it. The body will not be resurrected if the soul is dead. Homo Spiritus are born without souls. When they are born, a tumor is born with them. This tumor holds the soul. The soul must be transferred to the body within one minute, or the tumor will rot. When the tumor rots, the soul dies. In this case however, the soul will have never belonged to the child; therefore, if the soul dies without being housed in the child first, the child will live and grow up without a soul. These children will grow up to be things like sirens, harpies, orcs, goblins or imps. Some people choose not to give their children souls, resulting in an abortion of sorts.

Homo Spiritus are unique like people, but some are born to a certain “body type.” These body types are categorized by a letter system i.e. body type A, body type B, etc. Then there are those that have been born “unique.” These people are not born to a specific body type. In some chapters, this is incredibly attractive, while in others, those who are unique are considered freaks.

Souls

A soul of a Homo Spiritus is the source of their life. When destroyed through a ritual, Anima Vastitas, or old age, the body dies immediately. When the body is dead but the soul is not, it is possible for medicine to revive the body.

Essencizing

Essencizing is an ancient spell that removes the body, turning it to dust, leaving the soul behind. The soul, having no body to host, becomes a visible ghost, and thus can be taken hostage. There is only one way to retrieve the body once it has turned to dust, and that is via a spirit note asking for a body back. However, most of those essencized have no ability to write a spirit note. Those with telekinetic powers may write a spirit note. There are some, however, that choose to remain a ghost until their soul dies. Practically no one knows about essencizing, and there are even fewer who can actually essencise. A side effect of essencizing is that stains on your soul may be spotted. However, these stains can be wiped clean. In fact, certain people have essencized themselves to wipe their souls clean, and thus enabling entrance to the second floor of Alypsum.

Anima Vastitas

In Anima Vastitas, the soul is drained from the victim’s body and absorbed into the user’s. The soul is then killed to be converted to energy. This gives the user the strength of two souls, and an unnatural lifespan. This makes the user’s bodily functions super-powered, and no food or water is necessary to survive. The user can then only be killed by bodily harm.

Selling Souls

In this land, man can freely give up his soul for whatever he wants. He may offer it up to man or god alike, and may receive whatever he asks for it. In order to sell your soul, you need to have a contract known as a spirit note. The spirit note states that you have promised to sell your soul, what you want in return for it, and who you are going to give it to. Your desire shall be granted, unless it is unpleasing to the gods, i.e. selling your soul to become a god, asking for the powers of gods, asking for more souls. What you receive depends on whom you sell your soul to. You cannot ask for worldly goods from a god, and cannot ask for ability or bodily alteration from a man.

Spirit Notes

A spirit note is like a receipt that someone must make in order to sell their soul. Spirit notes can be made on any sort of paper. To make a spirit note, you must first promise to sell your soul. Then you write who to sell it to. After that you must write what you want in return for it. Finally, you must end the note with: Ego quaerere mundi. When the spirit note is complete, you must give the note to the person promised, unless you sold your soul to a god, whereupon you must burn the note in a holy bowl. If the note is burned otherwise, the soul will die.

Festival of Souls

During the festival of souls, people trade their soul for other things via the use of spirit notes. They can exchange souls with men or even gods, but in order to exchange your soul for something with a god, it must please the god, and you may not anger the god without losing your soul. People can provide you with worldly things, such as very good weapons and armor, money, etc. while gods can provide you with good luck, strength, etc. This event is seen as a great festivity.

The Bank of Souls

This is a place for people to put their souls so soul thieves may not steal them. They have many different souls, all organized by body type. They are kept in orbs made of soul glass, which is the only discovered material known to hold souls. Unfortunately, this glass is fairly easy to shatter.

Miraculum

Miraculum is a type of supernatural ability that is stored inside of an item or person. The ability is a random one, but it is unique. No power is like it. Miraculum is an incredibly rare occurrence in anything. It is usually found in items, but it can be found in things like animals, or even rarer, homo spiritus. The main character usually comes in contact with miraculum in all the chapters. (With the exception of SAVE ME, where it is only mentioned.)

Moon Wisp

A Moon Wisp is a small, flame-like wisp that comes out at night. They do not burn if you touch them, but they are strangely solid. They only appear on the surface, never going into caves or normally dark places. Some say this is due to their love of the moon. Typically you will see them in groups, they almost never appear alone. When the sun rises, they “go out”. It could be that the light of the sun is bright enough to make them invisible, but most likely they are just following the moon.
Story:

The story is not complete yet, so bear with me.

In the beginning of the game, a man is seen talking about his "treatment" that everyone comes to him for. Soon, another person (you) walks in. He gives you a strange thing called a pill. As he calls it, it's the Internal Frustration pill, or just IF pill. After you're knocked out, his secretary comes in and asks about the IF pill. According to the doctor, you only have a 3% chance of surviving the treatment.

You wake up in a wood, (In-game called Fantasia Wood) and you see a clock, a bed and a bookshelf. The bookshelf only has one book with writing in it. The chapters are written in a clue-like manner. When you sleep in the bed, Chapter 1 begins.

The game is played in chapters, five of them to be precise. Each chapter is spliced into 2 parts.

The chapters each are their own paralell worlds, and only some events are connected. This is important to know when playing the game.

Screenshots:

From Chapter 3 - Searching for Light

This game looks beautiful in motion. (Demo coming soon.)

Gameplay:

This game is similar to the Zelda series in terms of combat and puzzles. Your main weapon is not a sword, but a knife.

You do not "level up" in this game. You have to hunt down levels yourself. People can award them to you, or you could find them in chests.

There is no game over in this game. If you die or make a mistake, you are sent to a place known as Defunctorum. The only escape from this place is to select the "Return" option in the menu to return to Fantasia. You then must restart the chapter from the beginning.

This may seem annoying, but there are ways to get through the chapter quickly. For instance, each of the cutscenes are optional. You may only trigger them by interacting with the blue sparkle found on bookcases and items.

This is only scratching the surface of this game. There are many colorful characters in this game as well, but if I told them here, it would spoil some of the game. In short, this game is all about atmosphere. It's about finding beautiful things and discovering secrets in an interesting world.

Support Me!

If you like this game, go ahead and show it by putting this little button in your signature:

Demo V1.0 (No RTP Included):

Known Bugs:

• Don't kill an enemy in front of a chest. You won't be able to interact with it.

Credits:

Scripts:

Khas

Yanfly

Yami

Moghunter

Music:

TAM Music Factory

USAGI

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Usagi

Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, so this is the wonderful game I've been composing for! There is a lot of writing yet I'm glad you've gone into detail about the culture. I love learning about the worlds or the back stories of games. I've never heard of searching for levels in chests and being rewarded them before. That's an interesting feature. I'm interested to see more. ^_^

Νύξ

"AVE DISCORDIA"!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Ah, so this is the wonderful game I've been composing for! There is a lot of writing yet I'm glad you've gone into detail about the culture. I love learning about the worlds or the back stories of games. I've never heard of searching for levels in chests and being rewarded them before. That's an interesting feature. I'm interested to see more. ^_^
I agree. a little detail goes a long way but alot of detail will get you all the way there. ^_^

Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chocobo
Primarily Uses
Anything new?

This game seems interesting........Any idea when the demo is coming?

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The homo spiritus kinda made me a bit sad that the children are just common enemies in RPG games...what if...what if all of the enemies were children? Anyways IF sounds good, and I'll give it a try once the demo comes out.

Emmych

forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Anglais~
Primarily Uses
That's quite a bit of Fantasy Vocab! It kind of makes my brain hurt, and is honestly a huge turnoff when looking for games to try. Not a total dealbreaker (ahahaha if it was I would've given up the genre long ago), but still something I side eye.

I mean, I might say "homo spritus" and you'd know exactly what I was referring to, but what about the player that downloads your game, plays for an hour, then comes back to it in a month? They'll have all these words that mean nothing to them cluttering up dialogue boxes and confusing the **** out of 'em!

I'd suggest cutting down the made up terms by AT LEAST half, and consider shortening (and there by making them easier to remember and recognize) some of the larger terms. I mean, cool that there's a name for getting your soul absorbed, but why can't you just say "YO THIS GUY ABSORBS SOULS; IT MAKES THEM STRONG". And why not name the people something easier to remember (and also doesn't sound like a really gay christmas card greeting), liiiike... I dunno, "Spiritlings" or "Soulfolk" or something?

The concepts here sound super cool, though! I'll be interested to see where this goes. :3

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow guys! Thanks for your replies and help! I was in the middle of making the special demo adventure, but then I started the Mysterious August contest. Now that my entry is finished (http://forums.rpgmak...5017-aftermath/) I can spend some quality time developing IF. I'll take your advice Emmych and cut some terms. In fact most of the terms here won't be featured in the demo.

(Note I said "terms" not "concepts". There will still be plenty of soul killing and Miraculum!)

Expect the demo near the end of September. (Possibly early October.)

Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chocobo
Primarily Uses
Cool!

Excited..The game seems very unique

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Demo progress: All maps and database in the demo are FINISHED. Just need to finish events and demo version 1.0 will be ready.

Expect it by the 14th if all goes well.

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Update: Added demo!!! :)

BTW, this demo is a separate story that you will not see in the final game.

P.S. Wanna know some of IF.'s secrets? Check out my blog for the scoop.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D
Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cinar