If I made a sequel, what monsters should I include and what are some good plot ideas?

Raypixel

The self-insert shopkeeper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Title says much: I’ve been thinking about making a Runia Story sequel that’s made in MV and obviously gonna bring back most of the monsters but also include new ones. What monsters would people like to see tho? You can suggest about anything but would prefer monsters that aren’t already in rpg maker as stock assets but also kinda prefer typical folklore or mythology creatures and characters. Yeah it’s a weird preference but that’s my thing

The other thing I included in the title, plot ideas. Anyone got good ideas? I’m kinda split if I wanna do a separate universe with barely any connection to the first or the same universe as the first game but in a different part of the world

This is probably stupid to ask but thought I’d ask none the less

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
IMO having the same or different monsters shouldn't matter in the series of games, unless you just want a fun callback. But it's nothing I would stress about.

Plot ideas there's really two ways to go about it. Did you solve all the mysteries/most of them in the world? And would making a game that tries to expand on the same world actually improve it?

Like in Final Fantasy, almost none of the world are connected at all, with very few exceptions (Gogo, FF7/10, FF2/9) So the name just brings the old crowd back which is pretty good.

Then in Final Fantasies you have the continuation games FF4 the After Years, FFx-2, FF13-2/3, All of Ivalice to a lesser extent. But let's be honest, FF4/10 their second game didn't really expand on the universe, and everything was already solved and finished by the time their games ended. So they just had to make up stuff on the fly and hope it worked.

Tl;dr : who cares about monsters except for fun callbacks, Plot shouldn't be force onto same world if the lore isn't already established in the first game. If the World is already complete, don't make new stuff.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Game Ideas & Prototypes. Thank you.

A description of your original game might be helpful.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Honestly, I think it would be awesome if there were playable monsters. You don't see them in a lot of games anymore outside mon-collectors.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So knowing nothing about the existing enemies or story....

If possible you can reskin existing enemies to suit the change to your plot.

Examples include:
Suddenly dark magic is covering the land? Take existing enemies and make them bigger and more aggressive looking with a wilder look in their eyes.

Radiation/mutagenic substance leaking out in specific parts of the world? Time to have sickly and deathly looking versions of existing enemies in certain spots!

Brand new empire/kingdom/Nation state taking over rapidly? Well hey now is it time for MORE RESKINS. Lol....
But this time, say you had some rabid animals. Now they have barding like a horse, the logo branded onto their armor or hide, and are accompanied by the new group's soldiers. So enemies your player once fought are now seen as subordinate to this new enemy. Heck you can even do that with any type of old enemy. Intelligent enemies like bandits? They've been pressed into service.

And of course throwing in brand new enemies is always an option but these are all small examples on how to have nods and winks to previous works while still helping immerse your player into your new setting.

They can go, "Hey, I remember fighting that guy! Eh? Wait a minute...he's a bit different this time around." And it helps to sell the theme of the sequel.

Raypixel

The self-insert shopkeeper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly, I think it would be awesome if there were playable monsters. You don't see them in a lot of games anymore outside mon-collectors.
May be a bit late to say this (kinda taking a small break from rpg maker stuff before I decide to make a new project) but that was kinda a thing in my game where you could have playable monster allies

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
May be a bit late to say this (kinda taking a small break from rpg maker stuff before I decide to make a new project) but that was kinda a thing in my game where you could have playable monster allies
That's awesome. I might have to check your game out, then.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I oughta set up my itch.io, but I'm like, uugghhh I DON'T WANNA. :kaocry: Why does errything feel like such a chore right now? I don't wanna just complain tho, so y'all got any hot tips for how to make a really pretty, sexy, sweaty, flowery itch.io page? BEST TIP WINS. :kaoluv:

Also here's a beautiful nymph to liven up the day for y'all! (No it's not me.)

alice_nymph(old).png
Hello again, guys! Today, I come to you with not one, not two, but THREE new emotion busts for Ramona!
RAng2FPS.gifRAng5FPS.gif
Anger

RWin2FPS.gifRWin5FPS.gif
Wink

RCry2FPS.gifRCry5FPS.gif
Crying
Feels like I've been butting heads with people more often, especially on here. Hoping I'm not being unreasonable, I've been trying to be more honest about how I'm feeling.
SF_People2.png added!
index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonlightCrystal