If I make a game demo and post it on here, will other people steal my idea?

Is it better to post a demo and risk it being stolen, or not post the demo and receive no criticism?

• Don't release the demo!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm hoping not, because I've got a great idea for a game... So what will happen if I post an alpha demo to hear people's opinions?

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If other people can't put forth the effort to come up with their own ideas, they will not put forth the effort to copy someone else's game.
True lol, where would I even go in the forums to post it though?

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- If it's a very detailed and delicate plot, and you have planned everything out then you should be worried.
Else, honestly I don't think people'd care much. Demos, in general are short, and mostly are short enough to not unveil everything out of the water.
- And even if your demo has an opening narrative that tells player the whole plot, you should be ok cuz as I said, it's not detailed enough, and ideas like that people have posted tons on here. The point is to ask: are people willing to do it and are they capaple to make it a good game from your idea as a reference.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
- If it's a very detailed and delicate plot, and you have planned everything out then you should be worried.
Else, honestly I don't think people'd care much. Demos, in general are short, and mostly are short enough to not unveil everything out of the water.
- And even if your demo has an opening narrative that tells player the whole plot, you should be ok cuz as I said, it's not detailed enough, and ideas like that people have posted tons on here. The point is to ask: are people willing to do it and are they capaple to make it a good game from your idea as a reference.
Well said lol, luckily my demo isn't long enough or detailed enough to really give anything away... So I guess I'll upload it :)
Ugh I just hope people think it's not trash lol

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Even then people are so caught up in their own grand design that they couldn't really bother stealing other people's story (most of the time).
However, I have borrowed fun mechanics from games I've played. But I mean, who hasn't.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even then people are so caught up in their own grand design that they couldn't really bother stealing other people's story (most of the time).
However, I have borrowed fun mechanics from games I've played. But I mean, who hasn't.
Lol funny you say that, this is EVER so slightly borrowed from another fun mechanic of another game... Like... It's a small amount of borrowing... Like the root of the idea, if that... More like the water that goes into the roots, with a TOTALLY different concept...
And actually... Now that I think about it, I scrapped an idea just a while ago where I actually gave away the entire freaking plot just in the single alpha demo XD PHEW! Glad I scrapped that. Thanks, past hyper... You weren't a complete failure :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ideas are cheap, the problem is the workload for implementing them.
And that is not only a lot of work, it also needs creativity for the details.

Anyone who has that creativity also has enough own ideas not to need to steal other people's ideas. And anyone who doesn't have that creativity and needs to steal ideas has no real Chance of ever implementing a stolen idea at anything remotely looking like quality.

So don't bother about it...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just look at what history says. Usually when a successful game is released, everyone tries to mimic it, and fails miserably. Look at all the Wizardry clones we got at one point in time. Or the Dungeon Master Clones. Or the Diablo Clones. Or the Warcraft Clones. In all cases, many tried to use the same idea, but had no idea how to make it work, and we got grade A garbage as a result.

And actually, a story on that. When I was 12 I got a game making engine in DOS and for my first game I made a clone of the game I had just played. Except...mine stunk. See, I had no idea what they had done to make it work well, so mine felt like I took all their ideas, put them in a blender, hit blend, and saw what came out and went with it. So, yes, I agree with the others that it is not worth worrying about.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just look at what history says. Usually when a successful game is released, everyone tries to mimic it, and fails miserably. Look at all the Wizardry clones we got at one point in time. Or the Dungeon Master Clones. Or the Diablo Clones. Or the Warcraft Clones. In all cases, many tried to use the same idea, but had no idea how to make it work, and we got grade A garbage as a result.

And actually, a story on that. When I was 12 I got a game making engine in DOS and for my first game I made a clone of the game I had just played. Except...mine stunk. See, I had no idea what they had done to make it work well, so mine felt like I took all their ideas, put them in a blender, hit blend, and saw what came out and went with it. So, yes, I agree with the others that it is not worth worrying about.

Well I'm glad everyone was able to put my mind at ease about this... I'll post the demo at some point, hopefully it's well received...

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, they will.

I released a "Ninja game" on Steam, and a few months later I saw a flood of "Ninja games" there (Actually, this happened even before, during Desura release time, but I saw only two copies of my idea at that time).
Even major AAA companies decided to re-release and remake their Ninja games after that.

The same happened with my Metroidvania game, and you can be sure the same will happen with my Fantasya Final Definitiva too.

The point is: Who cares? They might have stolen my idea, but not my creative mind. Besides that, the fans I gathered for my games won't stop purchasing my games because someone else tried to copy me.

Just keep doing your work and forget the competitors. Leave then competing alone. :biggrin:

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, they will.

I released a "Ninja game" on Steam, and a few months later I saw a flood of "Ninja games" there (Actually, this happened even before, during Desura release time, but I saw only two copies of my idea at that time).
Even major AAA companies decided to re-release and remake their Ninja games after that.

The same happened with my Metroidvania game, and you can be sure the same will happen with my Fantasya Final Definitiva too.

The point is: Who cares? They might have stolen my idea, but not my creative mind. Besides that, the fans I gathered for my games won't stop purchasing my games because someone else tried to copy me.

Just keep doing your work and forget the competitors. Leave then competing alone. :biggrin:

That's slightly unsettling... but not too much. It's good to hear I've got nothing to worry about... I'm currently waiting for the post I made posting the game to be moderated... Honestly, I feel like the only thing I have to worry about now is... If I released the demo at the right time. I got most of the bugs and kinks but... Idk... We'll see lol

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you gave 10 people the plot to your story and they all actually released a game, you'd have 10 games that are mostly unrecognizable except for the plot outline.

Each game maker would put their own spin on the concept and it would come out totally different. Likely completely different from what you would make.

Even a simple plot like:

Princess gets kidnapped by Evil Knight and Hero has to slay a Dragon and the Evil Knight to rescue her

has potentially dozens of variations on it.

You could make a game where you only play as the hero and you go directly to the Dragon and the Evil Knight boss fights.

You can make a game where you recruit party members and challenge the Evil Knight's henchmen and obstacles and work your way through dungeons.

You can flip the script and play as the Prince and your lover, a Dragon was kidnapped by the Heroine because you rejected her advances and she's recruited the Evil Knight as an ally.

So you should worry less about people ripping off your ideas and focus more on making a good game. If feedback from players helps make a better game or gets you new people helping on the project, then putting out a demo is a good idea.

hypershadic11

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you gave 10 people the plot to your story and they all actually released a game, you'd have 10 games that are mostly unrecognizable except for the plot outline.

Each game maker would put their own spin on the concept and it would come out totally different. Likely completely different from what you would make.

Even a simple plot like:

Princess gets kidnapped by Evil Knight and Hero has to slay a Dragon and the Evil Knight to rescue her

has potentially dozens of variations on it.

You could make a game where you only play as the hero and you go directly to the Dragon and the Evil Knight boss fights.

You can make a game where you recruit party members and challenge the Evil Knight's henchmen and obstacles and work your way through dungeons.

You can flip the script and play as the Prince and your lover, a Dragon was kidnapped by the Heroine because you rejected her advances and she's recruited the Evil Knight as an ally.

So you should worry less about people ripping off your ideas and focus more on making a good game. If feedback from players helps make a better game or gets you new people helping on the project, then putting out a demo is a good idea.

Well noted, got a good point there. I'm just waiting for my demo to be able to be released... It's currently under moderation.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even if it happens, the copy will most probably be bad and forgotten.
Because if someone can't start with an idea of their own, chances are they're not going to make something good with it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamikun95