If no one cares about your game does it make sense to keep making it?

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Side note- You say you can't get anyone to play your game, and that made me think 'I should give it a play, see what it's all about!' But you didn't link to it in your post or your signature, so I didn't have any way to go to your game. If people can't find your game, they can't play it.
This thread in a nutshell.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it doesn't help that us gamers also set the bar pretty high sometimes. Like I won't play games made with default RTP assets. There just not as interesting to me because they are used in so many other games. I always find it's best to think like a gamer and this way you might even care less about negative feedback as its to be expected in this industry.

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think you need to think about what you feel. Not so much what your goal is. I think it's rather clear that it is important to you that people at least care about your game. It seems to me that what scares you is the part about being rejected. And this is a very, very common fear.

But what you need to consider is this. If you want people to pay any attention to your game. You will need to do some posts about it. Try the section on the right in this site called "Latest profile posts".
1637673586156.png

Post a screenshot, talk about a feature or a concept in your game and ask for opinions. Get people involved. Because people won't say it's bad, they wont reject you. But they will perhaps give you constructive feedback. I think it is important to request "honest feedback" if that is what you're truly after.

However, the most important aspect of your conundrum is this. Do you want to regret never even trying to market it or do you want to remember having a game that you tried your best at releasing? Because if fear is what holds you back, you will only have regrets.

ThomasBellissimo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh man, here's one I would have liked to write. These are the types of posts that explode.

Ok here's my answer... Who cares? Make your game, don't make your game. It matters to no one.

What do you want though? Do you want to make this game? Be honest with yourself, truely honest. You need to know what you want from your game.

If you want to make the game, then do it. Don't worry about if others will notice it because it doesn't matter.

I ran a Kickstarter for Escape Castle Death Loop, I now sell it on itch.io. Did people know about my game? Did they notice it? Of course not. Any interest, any purchases, any plays, I drove.

I made the game because I wanted to. I used RTP assets because I wanted to. I ran a Kickstarter because I wanted to.

The people that bought the game I'm grateful to, the person that reviewed the game, also grateful to. You know what though, none of that matters. I did it for me and if I got nothing for it, or had reviews that trashed it. It wouldn't matter.

Don't make RPG Maker your career, you won't succeed. Make it a hobby and enjoy it. Anybody that tells you otherwise is... Garbage ;)

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bishiba 100% agree! If it weren't for the latest profile posts sidebar, how else would we have known about AI generated Christmas cookie recipes? The wonders of technology. :)

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bishiba 100% agree! If it weren't for the latest profile posts sidebar, how else would we have known about AI generated Christmas cookie recipes? The wonders of technology. :)
Life is, finally, complete! :)

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several factors that makes game not interesting for player:
#1 - If potential customer will see it's made with RPG Maker game (doesn't matter which version) he/she will skip it and look for other games, people are tired of crap games made with RPG maker with default assets.

#2 - Game assets, if you are using default assets - no thank's, I'll pass - I recommend to invest some cash to either buy assets (graphics) or hire some artist who will make decent tilesets and other assets.
(Music not necessarly, there are milions of free for commercial usage sounds and music you can use)

#3 - Game mechanics, if you don't come up with something interesting and simplified, customer probably will pass and ignore your game.

#4 - Advertisement, doesn't matter whetter your game is free or paid, look at facebook, how many ads with (pseudo) free games facebook displays to us, users, youtubers with +1M (less also) subscirbers also advertise someone's games - (Last time when I saw that kind of ad, where youtuber promoted a game in a middle of movie I almost smashed my display...) I cannot give you any advices about promotion, because I'm to introvert to promote game. I posted my game here on board, responses where very low - 4 people, but their feedback was priceless, so now we get to 5th point.

#5 - Feedback, even if just one person, just one will give you feedback aboutyour game, listen to him and do, what he/she suggest. That player will eventually return to check did you listen to him or not and he will tell about your game to another person: "Hey, check this game, it's RPG Maker game, but developer keeps working hard to make it better" and slowly like train interest in your game will speed up.

#6 - Scenario, it doesn't have to be something epic, simple rescue the princess might be interesting, but the story must be sensible written and also heroes bio. You don't need to think about it so hard, look around your friends in real life and adapt their personalities to your heroes. (for example: Edge Lord, Womanizer, Silent friend, there you got three heroes with different personalities.)

So, in overall, yes, if your game has very small interest there is sense in making it, because as long at least one person want to play it, keep making it. If you simply quit, that follower will lose trust for your person and potential next games will at the begining bad reputation, because you quit:
"Aah... It's him, he was making game some time ago, but he deleted it, now he's making another one? Nah... It will be the same, also delete it and quit again."

Look at me... I'm making game wich has no interest and I don't solicit about comments, good reviews and promotion. I just telled I'm making game, if you want to play it, go ahead, if no, then no.

Don't force yourself, take a break, rethink your game, ask people what they would to see in your game and what to remove. Give people game what they want, not what you want. Check professional gaming press about current RPG standards and adapt them to your game, Don't make another Gulpy Gulpy, Arcane Rise, Steel X Sand, Throttle, Ao oni, Lily's Adventure, Red Moon, etc... (all mentioned games are VX, XP and perhaps older Makers)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's extremely unlikely that literally nobody will play your game if you post a project thread on these forums, if you upload your game on rpgmaker.net and if you ask let's players to play your game. You're pretty much guaranteed to get at least a number in the double digits to try your game if you follow the basic steps.
If you're expecting people to come to you and beg you for downloads just because you put something together in RPG Maker and that they'll all shower you with feedback after having played it, you're getting it wrong. You have to work to convince people to play your game, and work even harder to get peoples' opinions about your game.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just have fun with it! I've been working on a game for a long time now, but I'm not going to be surprised if no one plays it. I know that I have created something that I can enjoy myself or for just one person in the world to play. I'm lucky to have friends that support my development and even help out with it, but even if they didn't care, at least I tried, right?

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I begun making games with RPG maker XP (20 years ago!) and I was in your position few years ago (2019), having the same questions:
"Why am I still doing this?"
"Who will care for a game that looks like this?"

So I quit, yes I quit forever, or is it what I thought, one year later playing random videogames I noticed some features in the game I would like to add in my game in a better way, and then I asked myself again:
- "Why do I keep thinking about that?"

the answer was:
- "because I like it, it's fun"

and the other question also appeared.
- "but nobody will play it"

and my answer was:
- "I don't care, I want to do it"

I think quitting could be good, sometimes you need some time.

For me, quitting was the best, now I am working much better, my goals are better defined than before, the developing time is reducing, and the results are getting better, because I am doing it for fun AND ALSO for them (the possible players).

If you make your game with love, and if anyone plays it, they will notice that effort, as a gamer I notice when a game is made with love or for profit.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Granny.gif
Nap! Knit! Read! Repeat!
Granny's got a busy life now :3
Бас Лого.png
Reflections on the topic of choosing the path of the main character )
Now I want to change back to a Class system again xD Around and around we go!
Progress on the title graphic:
titledemo3.png
titledemo2.png
I'm still looking at the best way to do the subtitle.
I haven't touched the forum or my project for months because a few people were being a little aggressive when I asked for help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SirMortanius