If there is one, and only one work (game, movie, book, etc) you can recommend to others, which it would be?

48Tentacles

Entertainment and Escapism Consigliere
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've seen various pieces of art in one or different mediums, be it videogames, movies, anime, books, even table top games if we're going in an extreme. Yet surely one caused more resonance on you, an unforgettable experience, even much more long lasting memories than the others for one reason or another.

I've seen people go "Oh you should watch this, and play this and read this and also watch this other one" but I've also seen them hesitate when I ask them to recommend me only one work they value.

So if there is one work you loved most, much more than the others, something you can recommend strongly, which it would be, and why?

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Only one thing?

If it were to be a game, I'd have to recommend Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's my personal best game of all time. No game has ever come close to being as good, in my opinion. Nor has any other game had such an impact on me, shaping my very idea of what an RPG should be. Not blind to its flaws though, but I adore it all the same.

If I were to recommend movies it'd have to be the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the extended editions. Again, no other movies have had such an impact on me, and I could watch these movies till the end of my days. They pretty much introduced me to the fantasy genre, and made me fall in love with not only Middle Earth, but fantasy and world building in general.

If I were to pick a book, it'd again be the Lord of the Rings. Though I read them after watching the Peter Jackson films, I still loved them. I loved all of the descriptions, the themes, etc. If you want a good story of mercy, good and evil, and other uplifting things then you can't get much better than these books.

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oof. That's a tough one. One; just one, across all media?

Twin Peaks.

Yeah, the second series dragged a little bit with the General Lee insanity, but overall all three series are simply superb.

And that ending of series 3... What a gut punch.

Brilliant.

Why this show?

Ostensibly, it's about the FBI investigating the murder of a young woman in a quiet, rural all-American town.

The town happens to be the cinematic king of the "all is not what it seems" trope.

It takes the risk of never truly explaining itself properly, and it pays off.

Conversely, FBI agent Dale Cooper accepts that anything may be true, and never throws anyone's ideas out as garbage, no matter how wild they may be. He manages to do so without ever coming across as patronising or disingenuous.

It also paved the way for Deadly Premonition, which is a game full of flaws and outdated mechanics, that would never ever work as a polished release. The fact that Deadly Premonition plays like it does, looks like it does and controls like it does, only helps strengthen its characters, story and dialogue.

If you ever want to "play" Twin Peaks, that's the game to play.

Last edited:

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger I'm pretty sure the point of this thread is for you to pick only one of those to recommend. Do you want to recommend for them to either play the game, watch or read those?

For me, even though I love the Spiderman movies, absolutely adore the Persona game series, I would recommend watching the anime One Piece, because it's such an adventure. I'm fond of it mostly because its my childhood, but it's still such a great story. :kaothx:

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a helluva question. Only one thing, huh?

Well, I might consider something else come tomorrow, but my pick would be The Walking Dead: Season One video game. It may not be perfect, but it tells a good story of a man and a young girl forging a strong bond as they strive to survive the zombie apocalypse together with multiple others.

Watching them go from strangers to basically father and daughter is touching, and the ending is pretty emotionally powerful.

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a helluva question. Only one thing, huh?

Well, I might consider something else come tomorrow, but my pick would be The Walking Dead: Season One video game. It may not be perfect, but it tells a good story of a man and a young girl forging a strong bond as they strive to survive the zombie apocalypse together with multiple others.

Watching them go from strangers to basically father and daughter is touching, and the ending is pretty emotionally powerful.
It's pretty much the perfect game. Not technically of course, but as a story driven experience, it's wonderful.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's pretty much the perfect game. Not technically of course, but as a story driven experience, it's wonderful.
Man, Clementine was so great in Season One.

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Really hard to pick one thing from all mediums. It wouldn't somehow feel right no matter what I picked. The interest in and emotion toward some media I absolutely loved for years has faded in the background in my mind.

If I have to answer the OPs question, then let's say the manga Berserk, because I loved that for years. Picking one from each medium is hard enough. Probably:

Game: The Last of Us 2 // TV-series: The Wire // Manga: Berserk // Anime: Rurouni Kenshin (1996 version, excluding 3rd filler season)

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Man, Clementine was so great in Season One.
Shame the games slowly became crap as the seasons went on. By the end I barely recognised her.

@Kirri I know what the point is, and my answer was one based on the things this hypothetical other person actually enjoys doing. Do they like playing games, reading, or watching films?

Tamsyn548

️‍⚧️ Proudly trans! ️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. My favorite book of all time. Wins out over any games or movies, etc.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. I've nigh read the covers off my copy, and it's been my go-to for graduation gifts since high school.

Tamsyn548

️‍⚧️ Proudly trans! ️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. I've nigh read the covers off my copy, and it's been my go-to for graduation gifts since high school.
Ah, now that book... is interesting xD

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
The Neverending Story, as in the book.

I read it in three days because I couldn't put it down, and is of course superior to the film (though I will forever love that one). So many characters, situations, the adventure shift after half of the book... It spoiled me so much that, blasphemous as it may sound, the Lord of the Rings felt short by comparison.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The TV Series Dark.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An detailed Encyclopedia.

Else the most used one in my life would be the English - German Dictionary.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Dragon Quest XI. It isn't my favorite game of all (although it is the best DQ alongside VIII), but it has my beloved husbando, and everyone must stare at him because I say so. So I guess technically it is both not my loved most in a way but also my loved most in a way?

Latest Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Muzel007