If we were to release RPG Maker 2003 in English would you buy it?

Will you buy RPG Maker 2003 if it was in English?

• Total voters

Nyara♥

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Of course yes, I'll spend my money on purchase a legal copy of the maybe my favorite program of all times! I'm able to spend 50$ USD for a translated and legal copy of RPG Maker 2003, also, I want to make a future comercial game on the RPG Maker 2003, so, I need of the legal copy for do that, and my japanese is still not good enough for just purchase and use the original japanese version.

If the program can be fixed and improved a bit: better! For example, I suggest a increse on the number of max image usage of 50 to at least 99 or 255, and some actually not necesary limitations of that style, for example, a decimal variable system on place of the fixed number could be magnificent. But well, I'll buy it even if not fixed or arranged a bit, RPG Maker 2003 is just the best RPG Maker for me, at least.

Note: Also, thanks Nemau for posting this on "Comunidad RPG Maker"!

Last edited by a moderator:

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If there was some scripting functionality added to it, sure.

But as-is, it was good for its time but anything it can do, other RPG Makers can do (with the right scripts), and then some.

Rogue Knight

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What is wrong with having more resources that is accessible to XP above
Nothing, but with what history of RPG Maker and their releases they seem to go backwards rather then forwards in some aspects of software development.

and the purpose being is to make a game and have more materials for games?
Yes, nothing wrong with that. It seems you got butt hurt over my opinion and needed to attempt to prove me wrong...

Engine doesn't define how good your game is nor does it make your game alone.
Captain Obvious....

v/Respectfully.

Rogue Knight

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
v/Respectfully.

Rogue Knight
I don't think you know what respectfully means. If you have a problem with an argument, disagree with the argument. Don't insult the person putting it forward.

There is no reason to tell someone they are "butthurt" or to sarcastically use terms like "Captain Obvious" to try to undermine them. You don't agree with what she says, disagree with it, argue the argument, don't just start **** with personal attacks.

See, respectfully would have looked like this:

[First section is fine]

Second Section: That wasn't what I meant though. I think you misunderstood what I said.

Third Section: Well, yes, that is true, but it is relevant to what I'm saying.

See how that is your same argument. Respectfully.

RyanA

Happy Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've voted for yes, only if the price is reasonable, maybe offer it at a cheaper price than XP, as it is quite outdated now (or so I have heard)

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wasn't "butthurt" over anything and just trying to understand what you're saying Rogue Knight so please don't jump into assumptions, I wasn't even sure what was going on until I went back here. o_O

But Touchfuzzy already said what I was going to say way better so :D

As for the RM2k3 agility bug, I was looking over a few weeks ago and found out that it was fixed in V 1.09. The most commonly used one is 1.08 which still has this error. But yeah, I just wanted to brought up the discovery.

Lethrface

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So has someone taken the initiative to post this on the popular gaming websites like gamespot, IGN or anything? It's been well over a month since the big jump in interest and we are still only at 459 signatures. How about a facebook group maybe considering people can spread something like that far easier than a link (considering the notice to join a group stays on the home page for a while until it is declined or hidden) and also adding it to stumbleupon would be pretty wise too. Reddit would be a good place to post it as well. So yeah, has anyone posted this yet to any of those?

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is why I don't think this petition will ever go anywhere, and why (after 3 months of progress) it has yet to collect even half the signatures.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3208-replacing-default-tilesets/

Here we have a newbie asking for help on an official site for an illegal (RM2K3) maker, and then double posting to say he solved his problem by re-installing the illegal RM2K3 software. And a mod was kind enough to close the topic "due to being solved", but yet not a single comment or reprimand against this guy (that I know of) for his admission to using illegal software.

Now, I know people have stated that not everybody knows RM2K/3 programs are illegal outside of purchasing a Japanese version (personally, I find that a bit too convenient myself), but at least have some common sense. I mean, aside from the fact that RMWeb does not currently support RM2K/3, you'd think he'd have a bit more class than coming to an official site and admitting to using something illegal.

If that's not a slap in Degica's face, I don't know what is. If anything, this sends the wrong message to Degica that people will continue to use the illegal version of the program and there's nothing anybody can or will do to prevent it.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@amerk: that's going off topic here.

Probably some of it can be blamed on the fact that it's an old program, and most people are busy with Ace or VX.

Blair Pendragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There was a time I wanted this more than anything. (Honestly I want ALL of its features in the next RM)

but since my main talent is my artistic abilities, the lower resolution would prevent me from buying it.

Never got to make anything on the old RM2003 because all the versions I found were messed up.

just used 2000.

Now that I own XP and Ace, I'll just make do with those. (Unless you manage to make a 2003 in HD, er, I mean, in the same resolution as XP and up, with maybe some of additions from Ace (such as scripts, and automatic events like chests)

Rafael_Sol_Maker

Almighty God Jabu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some months ago, I improved the translation of some of the texts here, that were posted in an Brazilian RPG Maker community. Some people there liked the idea.

I definively think it's a must-buy software for retro-makers (well, in Brazil we have some of them!), and costing around $15 (considering the XP costing $30) may worth its value (including bugfixes and some bonuses =D).

How the idea is going? It was dropped? 526 signaturess left in the petition website... Let's do it, guys and girls!

thejamesmcornett

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know I'm a bit late coming to the discussion, but considering that I've always been a fan of the side battle system more than the front (which actually works more for the kinds of games I'd like to make), I would be estatic for RM2K3 to be released officially! PLEASE DO THIS!

ADDENDUM: If this really is going to happen, I would suggest that there be a RMW-exclusive Graphics Pack that would include RM2K3-style variants of the VX/A or XP RTPs, or at least updating the program so that the current resolution and styles of graphics could be used. If nothing else, that would give those of us who had the illegal variants of RM2K3 an incentive to purchase the program.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, mostly for the resources as well.

Link

Hero of Slime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Engrish
Primarily Uses
I know I'm a bit late coming to the discussion, but considering that I've always been a fan of the side battle system more than the front (which actually works more for the kinds of games I'd like to make), I would be estatic for RM2K3 to be released officially! PLEASE DO THIS!

ADDENDUM: If this really is going to happen, I would suggest that there be a RMW-exclusive Graphics Pack that would include RM2K3-style variants of the VX/A or XP RTPs, or at least updating the program so that the current resolution and styles of graphics could be used. If nothing else, that would give those of us who had the illegal variants of RM2K3 an incentive to purchase the program.
Isn't owning a legal and correctly translated version of the program incentive enough...?

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think you should include it in with the purchase of Ace as a marketing tactic. So, anyone who has bought Ace gets the English copy of it for free. It may convince me to buy Ace after all. :)

HamPants

Ayyy!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For 20$? Absolutely. The only question for me, is when, depending on my financial situation. But absolutely!

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm totally up for RM2k3 being $20, but I don't have a job so damn.

Just can't believe there are people out there who choose RM2k3 because of JUST because of the default sideview battle system.

Must be those non-Dragon Quest players...

Rafael_Sol_Maker

Almighty God Jabu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To suggest some updates, besides the bug fixes, I would want support for graphics in 24-bit PNG, OGG/MP3 playback, and maybe screen resolution of 640x480 pixels with updated RTP graphics. This would worth the full $20, or maybe up to $25.

My recommended price in the actual state is $15, if XP is priced $30, a half of the price is more than sufficient and adequate. The half of price is symbolical, as the game resolution is half, graphics and sounds are more limited and it doesn't have a built-in script editor.

2k3 would be not hard to translate at all, and may be a good money incoming for Enterbrain/Degica.

thejamesmcornett

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Isn't owning a legal and correctly translated version of the program incentive enough...?
NOT necessarily. With RM2K3 as freely available as it has been the last decade, there would have to be something else put in, a kind of "This is why you should get it from us". deal. Sure, being able to legally make games is a good thing, but compared to the other engines Enterbrain has released lately, the engine as it stands now is dated.

I'm totally up for RM2k3 being $20, but I don't have a job so damn.

Just can't believe there are people out there who choose RM2k3 because of JUST because of the default sideview battle system.

Must be those non-Dragon Quest players...
Honestly, I've never really been a fan of the DQ style. The original Dragon Warrior kinda messed me up a bit with the way it handled battles, and by the time I was introduced to it, I was already too familiar with the intricate workings of Final Fantasy and other SBS games.

To suggest some updates, besides the bug fixes, I would want support for graphics in 24-bit PNG, OGG/MP3 playback, and maybe screen resolution of 640x480 pixels with updated RTP graphics. This would worth the full $20, or maybe up to $25.

My recommended price in the actual state is $15, if XP is priced $30, a half of the price is more than sufficient and adequate. The half of price is symbolical, as the game resolution is half, graphics and sounds are more limited and it doesn't have a built-in script editor.

2k3 would be not hard to translate at all, and may be a good money incoming for Enterbrain/Degica.
This is exactly my point in my addendum. Thank you, RSM, for explaining it better than I did.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LAB00M