BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you very much for the lovely comments. I'm slowly getting better each day :)
Sadly still some lingering double vision which might need surgery to fix it, although it might lessen in due time as well.
In the meantime I've ordered a script to make the dialogues more visual-novel style. The way I coded the dialogues were.. quite cumbersome, haha. Very time consuming. Should be a lot faster when I get the script. Will be the firts time I'll start working on the game again since my surgery. Been a while :o

Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just finished the game. Very fancy work, especially if you did it in a month. I envy you your work ethic. c:

Unfortunately I didn't find the fourth playable character nor did I full use of the stuff that I got for free from NPC's - because I'm both a miser and conveniently forgot you said the gameplay is about an hour long - but I had a lot of fun with it. The main issue I had with the game mechanically was that Seyfer will never not lag behind in terms of EXP - things got a little hairy with all these bandits in Aldwyn Cave because he just couldn't keep up.

...incidentally, I don't know how I would manage the boss without Mortal Strike. There doesn't seem to be any other skill in the game that removes debuffs, and it's only available if you put on an item. It's not exactly hidden, true, but managing 200 hp of regen a turn could be a little hairy, especially since she summons the slimes all that time.

Regino

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just finshed the IGMC Version
LUMIA CARRIED ME SO HARD
Mutated Crocodile Woman has waaay too much health but it's not impossible
I loved it nice job!

eDeus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
Just finished the game.
Cheers! I expressed the same opinion to Janice about Seyfer lagging behind, since he joins after quite an extensive grinding session through the forest. (that's not a spoiler, I guess?) So I think some sort of unified party leveling system is in the works.

As for the MS skill, I've done some serious rework to the battle system. But theorycrafting is easier than the implementation of said ideas, so I'm not sure how well Janice can handle the intended changes. But from what I've seen, things are looking bright. Every character will have some unique interactions between their two different power pools. Anyway, Mortal Strike effect is moved to being a baseline skill (not sure if it's still called MS or a different skill). And the same effect is given to another character too to have a choice for those moments when Seyfer isn't around. There's also a tutorial for this kind of stuff now, because working around the certain mechanic during the last boss is a crucial part of the fight, and this stuff really needed to be vocalized better for players.

Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I think some sort of unified party leveling system is in the works.
Wouldn't a simple variable suffice so that he's the same level as the girls/one level above/below? He's the experienced character out of the three, so I guess it would make sense for him to actually be a level or two higher.

Reactions: BCj

eDeus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
Wouldn't a simple variable suffice
Yeah, it's a simple fix. The way I see it is that everyone should be kept the same level as the main character. So that when the party members change, they're all still relevant as soon as they join.
But it all depends on Janice's vision of things. I'm here just to draw portraits, write some dialogues, and make combat overly complicated and borderline unplayable. :)

Y2J1014

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
中文
Primarily Uses
Other
Wish you a happy new year
I will continue to wait for updates of this game!

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I come bringing gifts! Well, sort of :p
I started working on implementing the new VN-like system. If you know the IGMC version, ou'll spot more dialogue here.

Here's a sample:

This one is with the dynamic lightning (a bit bugged here) and a widescreen sample, which I may use in the future, but would require overhaul of UI assets/maps, which is something I'd do AFTER the demo.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello all! It has been a while, but I am finally able to start working on Escalia again. Despite the eye still being wonky, especially when I get tired :p

So what have I been up to? First of all, I finally finished implementing the portrait system for all the dialogues I had. I've been rewriting some parts of the story. Now everything is pretty much done, except that I need to implement the dialogue for when the events in Aldwyn Cave end. The demo will stop after that, as the player can't leave Aldwyn. The worldmap isn't implemented in the upcoming demo.

eDeus and I have also started world building. Several storylines have been thought up, more information regarding new (and old) places. Some samples of what is to come:

And yes, our dear Innkeeper finally has a face :) the plan is to eventually have all named NPCs to have a face, but there might be a running gag here and there. Who knew all weapon shopkeepers were related, right?

Yes, you will meet her more often.

I have also finally added a codex, and got rid of the evented tutorial book. It was way too much work to get it to look right, and hard to edit if things needed to change, as the tutorials were all images.

Aside from that I've been cleaning up a lot of events, back when I started to work on this game for IGMC I prety much had no clue what variables were used for and used sooo many switches to get everything done. E.g. Caelmor laughing = on, Caelmor casting = on, Caelmor hunched over = on, Caelmor dead = on. I think I got rid of 30 switches already. I also started cleaning up the databases, although I still have states and skills left to clean up. eDeus also worked some more on the new skills for me, which also still need to be implemented (they're in a seperate project).

I also added a few soundeffects, so when you get close to a waterfall, you actually hear one. The same goes for fireplaces and clocks.Turns out I literally had no background sound effects in my IGMC version. Woops.

And as you probably have noticed, I have a new GUI! Here it is in action:

Now, this is future stuff, but seeing as sadly, the tilesets I'm using at the moment won't be expanded by the creator, I'm going to see if I can combine at least the exterior tiles with a different interior tileset.

This is a very rough edit, and I might have to go with 3 tile walls, seeing as the tileset is slightly larger, or edit the tileset to be a bit smaller. Either way, I'll map with placeholders and swap things along the way.

For now I'll finish writing the dialogues, get some sprite edits in, add the skills and everything should be ready to betatest. Finally. After that I'll start work on building the worldmap, Mireglen, the royal library (where Fayhe wants to head first to look up data about magical inheritance) and so on :D

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi all,
As I'm nearing completion of the new demo, I am looking for betatesters.
I'd prefer people who has also played the IGMC version, but this is not required.
I am especially looking for feedback regarding the storyline, the newest added features and the battle system.

Changes in this version:
System
  • A new playable character.
  • Monsters finally respawn after 5 minutes of in-game time.
  • Added System category in the Menu.
  • Hover Alerts, if you get close to something that you can interact with, an icon will pop-up. This can be disabled in the Menu, under System.
  • Lootable sparkles removed.
  • Backtracking enabled.
  • Added tutorials (Accessible in the menu via the Codex).
  • Added optional Battle tutorial.
  • Items gained from lootable objects are no longer random.
  • Changed prices of droppable items and added some new rare ones which are worth more.
Battle
  • Added HP bars for enemies.
  • Added State Icons for enemies.
  • Added Order Gauge.
  • Gave several skills and healing items priority.
  • Fixed the Scan screen.
  • Overhauled most abilities.
  • Added a 10% chance to not get knocked out once HP reaches 0. In the future this might be expanded with a Morale System, giving you (de)buffs.
  • Added graphics for Ambush/Pre-emptive strike.
  • Holder Entry Pose now works.
Maps
  • Seyfer has a home!
  • Some maps revisioned slightly.
  • Maps added to exit Aldwyn (though one currently cannot exit to the worldmap in this build).
Graphics
  • New Logo by Julianastorybored and eDeus.
  • New GUI for the Menu and the Battle.
  • Changed portraits of Seyfer and Lumia slightly.
  • Several Named NPCs now have portraits.
  • New Icons made by Avery.
  • Battle Result screen has gotten a little overhaul, same for the Level-Up screen.
  • Changed the menu slightly.
  • Custom Magic font made by Unity.
  • Changed Game Over screen.
  • Minor modifications to some sprites.
Miscellaneous
  • More flavortext.
  • Changed several dialogues and added new ones.
  • Changed the intro to clarify the situation a bit more.
  • New descriptions for playable characters and enemies.
  • New descriptions for Weapons/Armor.
  • Bad guys have names now. And backstories!
  • Several BGMs now loop.
  • New Game Over BGM.
  • Removed several scripts and added some new ones.

And probably more things that I've failed to document.

I have also posted a thread in the Recruitment section. Please PM me or post here/in the recruitment thread if you'd like to betatest.

Y2J1014

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
中文
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello all! It has been a while, but I am finally able to start working on Escalia again. Despite the eye still being wonky, especially when I get tired :p

So what have I been up to? First of all, I finally finished implementing the portrait system for all the dialogues I had. I've been rewriting some parts of the story. Now everything is pretty much done, except that I need to implement the dialogue for when the events in Aldwyn Cave end. The demo will stop after that, as the player can't leave Aldwyn. The worldmap isn't implemented in the upcoming demo.

eDeus and I have also started world building. Several storylines have been thought up, more information regarding new (and old) places. Some samples of what is to come:

And yes, our dear Innkeeper finally has a face :) the plan is to eventually have all named NPCs to have a face, but there might be a running gag here and there. Who knew all weapon shopkeepers were related, right?

Yes, you will meet her more often.

I have also finally added a codex, and got rid of the evented tutorial book. It was way too much work to get it to look right, and hard to edit if things needed to change, as the tutorials were all images.

Aside from that I've been cleaning up a lot of events, back when I started to work on this game for IGMC I prety much had no clue what variables were used for and used sooo many switches to get everything done. E.g. Caelmor laughing = on, Caelmor casting = on, Caelmor hunched over = on, Caelmor dead = on. I think I got rid of 30 switches already. I also started cleaning up the databases, although I still have states and skills left to clean up. eDeus also worked some more on the new skills for me, which also still need to be implemented (they're in a seperate project).

I also added a few soundeffects, so when you get close to a waterfall, you actually hear one. The same goes for fireplaces and clocks.Turns out I literally had no background sound effects in my IGMC version. Woops.

And as you probably have noticed, I have a new GUI! Here it is in action:

Now, this is future stuff, but seeing as sadly, the tilesets I'm using at the moment won't be expanded by the creator, I'm going to see if I can combine at least the exterior tiles with a different interior tileset.

This is a very rough edit, and I might have to go with 3 tile walls, seeing as the tileset is slightly larger, or edit the tileset to be a bit smaller. Either way, I'll map with placeholders and swap things along the way.

For now I'll finish writing the dialogues, get some sprite edits in, add the skills and everything should be ready to betatest. Finally. After that I'll start work on building the worldmap, Mireglen, the royal library (where Fayhe wants to head first to look up data about magical inheritance) and so on :D
Long time no see, great creator

How are you doing recently?

Does your eyes feel better?

I have a question, I always keep it in my mind, I want to ask you
If the game is officially released after the release
Will you set or classify this game as a ~commercial game?

I'm curious what will you do when this game masterpiece is officially completed?

And will there be any actions to cooperate with game manufacturers?

Thank you !

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Long time no see, great creator

How are you doing recently?

Does your eyes feel better?

I have a question, I always keep it in my mind, I want to ask you
If the game is officially released after the release
Will you set or classify this game as a ~commercial game?

I'm curious what will you do when this game masterpiece is officially completed?

And will there be any actions to cooperate with game manufacturers?

Thank you !

Hello!
Considering circumstances, I'm pretty good.
I still suffer from some eyeproblems (e.g. double vision and some distorted peripheral vision) which gets worse if I'm tired. But I can zoom my webpages to 150% and then I can read well. I could read on 100% zoom too but that is more exhausting for me (my double vision gets way more noticable) so I try not to do it.

After this demo I am planning to release it on Steam eventually, yes. Why? Because I think there's too many custom assets not to. Considering the amount of response I've gained so far, I think it also would be a good idea. I would of course, still require betatesters now and then. I do playtest my game a lot (as does Edeus) but there's still bugs or problems escaping us at times :D

I might see if I can find a company that could help me for distributing/marketing and such. But I would do that at a later state of the game, when there's more to show than now. I've had some offers of people trying to buy my game, but they wanted me to revoke all rights to it. I don't want that.

Out of curiosity, would you like to betatest too?

Y2J1014

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
中文
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello!
I still suffer from some eyeproblems (e.g. double vision and some distorted peripheral vision) which gets worse if I'm tired. But I can zoom my webpages to 150% and then I can read well. I could read on 100% zoom too but that is more exhausting for me (my double vision gets way more noticable) so I try not to do it.

After this demo I am planning to release it on Steam eventually, yes. Why? Because I think there's too many custom assets not to. Considering the amount of response I've gained so far, I think it also would be a good idea. I would of course, still require betatesters now and then. I do playtest my game a lot (as does Edeus) but there's still bugs or problems escaping us at times :D

I might see if I can find a company that could help me for distributing/marketing and such. But I would do that at a later state of the game, when there's more to show than now. I've had some offers of people trying to buy my game, but they wanted me to revoke all rights to it. I don't want that.

I hope your eyes are better and better

Please continue to do rehabilitation exercises and work, do not give up
Regarding the game, I think what you said is a good idea

You really should do this because this is a very special RPG GAME
I have never seen a game like this one developed and produced by you on the market

This is your original creation, it is really special

if it is possible
Of course, I also want to be able to participate in the betatest
But my expression and presentation skills are not very good
In addition to the difficulty of language communication
I think I may not be qualified for this job and task!

• Love

Y2J1014

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
中文
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello!

I hope you can successfully find a company that can help you with distribution/marketing, etc.

You said you received some offers to try to buy your game, but they want you to revoke all rights to it.

I sincerely recommend that you never do this because this game is the brainchild of you and Edeus

This is about copyright law and copyright

If you plan to release it on Steam in the end, I will look forward to buying the game to play

I hope you can officially publish the completed version before the official end of this year

I will continue to wait for any good news from you about making this game with Edeus!

eDeus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
I will continue to wait for any good news from you about making this game with Edeus!
Just dropping by to thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to us, as this little game has been a part of our imaginary family for quite a few years already. It's like a baby you never wanted, but actually got and you are now forced to raise it because euthanasia is still illegal in your country. Then you find out that the baby wasn't even yours, to begin with. That's when you decide to leave your promiscuous girlfriend with that child, but realize that you have no job and no skills, and you kind of depend on her to buy you food and the monthly World of Warcraft subscriptions... Wait, where was I?

In all seriousness, after a looong hiatus Escalia is finally moving somewhere. Lately, BCj has been on her magical mushrooms of inspiration, and that's enough to inspire me as well. I even started drawing busts again, small steps, but steps nonetheless. Yay!

In addition, we're fleshing out the world of Escalia: geography, political systems, history, etc. Even if most of this won't ever be in the game, it helps tremendously with forging different stories and might, or might not, lead to further development. So yeah, hopefully, we can move out of this silly little fishing village and see the exciting continent of Escalon in all of its glory.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
It will be a while before I can publish it on steam. I'm not sure this year will be manageable, seeing the amount of things we have left. We have started world building though, which helps immensively with plot structure as well. So hopefully soon I can start on fleshing out the new things :D

Y2J1014

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
中文
Primarily Uses
Other
Just dropping by to thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to us, as this little game has been a part of our imaginary family for quite a few years already. It's like a baby you never wanted, but actually got and you are now forced to raise it because euthanasia is still illegal in your country. Then you find out that the baby wasn't even yours, to begin with. That's when you decide to leave your promiscuous girlfriend with that child, but realize that you have no job and no skills, and you kind of depend on her to buy you food and the monthly World of Warcraft subscriptions... Wait, where was I?

In all seriousness, after a looong hiatus Escalia is finally moving somewhere. Lately, BCj has been on her magical mushrooms of inspiration, and that's enough to inspire me as well. I even started drawing busts again, small steps, but steps nonetheless. Yay!

In addition, we're fleshing out the world of Escalia: geography, political systems, history, etc. Even if most of this won't ever be in the game, it helps tremendously with forging different stories and might, or might not, lead to further development. So yeah, hopefully, we can move out of this silly little fishing village and see the exciting continent of Escalon in all of its glory.
It will be a while before I can publish it on steam. I'm not sure this year will be manageable, seeing the amount of things we have left. We have started world building though, which helps immensively with plot structure as well. So hopefully soon I can start on fleshing out the new things :D
Please two of you continue to work hard
Please keep good great work
I will always pay attention and wait
Thank you both, bless you!

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
So the bèta's been going on for a while. Here's some things we've changed based on feedback:

- Fixed some collision/mapping issues
- Fixed some typo's
- Rebalaced some skills

Added some new features:

(Still thinking about the size. I tried making it transparent but it doesn't look so good)
Also added a selection cursor, since some testers found it hard to see who's turn it was.

Colorized some texts which are important:

Colors change, based on continents (green), places (blue), and people/organizations (yellow).

Some other stuff added:

And added some scripts to make eventing quicker for me.

Waiting on the last few to issue feedback and squash some eventing errors and then an upload should be coming in the next weeks.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
online pvp when? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is it strange that dropping acid is improving my game development?
I'm starting to wonder if I should go the Half Minute Hero route with my game. The character's main weapon is logistically way too strong. So I can't really let the player continuously grow it.... But if they had to build it up each time like HMH, that could work. Also it lets me take advantage of my randomly generated maps so much more. Hmm... This could work! :LZSexcite:
std::vector, std::map and std::string. Three reasons why I'd take C++ over C. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutsackjack