[IGMC 2015] Jayce and Stacy RUIN the IGMC for EVERYONE!

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
I played and finished the game. The strongest point about this game is the dialogue.

The only, ONLY thing that really made me not enjoy it is the presentation. There's a lot of issues like message boxes not disposing which makes me lost on the scenes, awkward transition from scene to scene, the font readability, etc. Which is a shame since it has so much potential to be a solid comedy. But I think at this point, I'm just parroting everyone else.

I'm unsure about the plot since I can't get into humor where I would forgive an AI that caused deaths of so many people, but that's probably just my moral compass.

Last edited by a moderator:

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Here's my thoughts for this game from another topic. A lot of it is what everyone else has already said, but this game was a nice break from the other contest entries I've been playing! Looking forward to seeing how the game starring these characters turns out. :)

Joyce and Stacy Ruin the IGMC for Everyone is a fun text-driven game where the only gameplay seems to be dialogue choices (that I'm pretty sure don't change anything?) and a terrible music section that was funny at first but wore thin by the third time. The game itself is a riot and if this is the humor that will be used in the designer's other game "Wheels and the Leg Girl" then hell yeah I'm looking forward to that. I came across a few odd transitions and scene glitches which is surprising from such a short game but what was here was great. This game is enjoyable for those looking for a fourth-wall breaking little bit of humor. It's not going to win any awards I think but overall, people should get a kick out of it

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my thoughts for this game from another topic. A lot of it is what everyone else has already said, but this game was a nice break from the other contest entries I've been playing! Looking forward to seeing how the game starring these characters turns out. :)

Joyce and Stacy Ruin the IGMC for Everyone is a fun text-driven game where the only gameplay seems to be dialogue choices (that I'm pretty sure don't change anything?) and a terrible music section that was funny at first but wore thin by the third time. The game itself is a riot and if this is the humor that will be used in the designer's other game "Wheels and the Leg Girl" then hell yeah I'm looking forward to that. I came across a few odd transitions and scene glitches which is surprising from such a short game but what was here was great. This game is enjoyable for those looking for a fourth-wall breaking little bit of humor. It's not going to win any awards I think but overall, people should get a kick out of it
Thank you, I hear that a lot about it being a break from the other types of games submitted.  I'm surprised it stood out like that.  I'm glad it was a good thing.

Yes this is the same style and demeanor in which Wheels and the Leg Girl is written.  I'm just one bad guy portrait and a few puzzle resources away from a demo now, so I hope you enjoy that as well.  Much more dialogue choices there to be had which have harder impact.

I played and finished the game. The strongest point about this game is the dialogue.

The only, ONLY thing that really made me not enjoy it is the presentation. There's a lot of issues like message boxes not disposing which makes me lost on the scenes, awkward transition from scene to scene, the font readability, etc. Which is a shame since it has so much potential to be a solid comedy. But I think at this point, I'm just parroting everyone else.

I'm unsure about the plot since I can't get into humor where I would forgive an AI that caused deaths of so many people, but that's probably just my moral compass.
Yay!  Dialogue.  Yes, I think I know what to do now.  I'd need a common event to clean up those displayed pictures between scenes dedicated just to erasing left overs before transitions.

Oh wow, thank you.  I was just trying to make it funny so people would get a pleasant experience.  I'm not as experienced with the mechanical side of things, but this was a great exercise to do in the limited time.  I am glad it had some positive exposure.

Yea, I think I was too intrusive.  I may change that piece of the good ending for Mana and have her just make an A.I. from scratch rather than salvage Terry.  

The game is funny and the characters are injected with a lot of personality that makes them all unique, the plot of the game while utterly absurd is perfectly suited for what experience you were trying to offer the player. I enjoyed your references to other things, for example the show reboot; when I read that I was sent into a spiral of childhood nostalgia (I loved that show as a kid).

Suggestions for improvement:

-The font is awkward in my opinion, maybe its just the all caps?

-When you first meet iggy, you move the sprites of some characters (Jayce and Iggy I believe) but don't erase Iggy's picture first. This lets me see how the picture is cut off and is a little unprofessional in appearance. Displaying artwork the right way is important, especially in this type of game where that is one of the main draws.

-The music game was not really enjoyable, it wasn't broken or glitchy at all but it wasn't fun either. This type of music game is something I've seen in slight variations in plenty of games before. Kudos for using it to progress elements of the story though.

-In the credits of the game there is a textbox present the entire time, obscuring a large section of the credits thus making it difficult to see some of the people you are actually trying to credit.

-If you do more with the project I think it would be wise to let the player have some manner of control and investigate things in the computer world for themselves.

-Admittedly by the ending sections of the game its premise was starting to lose its charm mostly because of the fact there wasn't anything breaking up the text and story.

Over all I think the game achieved for me what you set it out to do, by the end I felt it was a nice break from the other IGMC games I've been playing and was ready to tackle some more again. Also Scythuz if you are reading this I am a musician now!

May I ask which RM games you've seen the music mini game in before?  I'd like to compare.

I agree with the aspect of control, I didn't think people wanted so much hands on exploration in a visual novel.

Well the problem happened due to each scene being tested individually, and then all patched together.  I ran things through via another person's computer and had them test the game.

Since they didn't bring up those issues I quickly cobbled together a credit section (botched that too) and made it to the deadline.  It is understandable as they are a scripter and probably weren't focused on those types of problems.  I admit I should caught that too it was added after the test since I didn't think I forgot to erase elements from the previous scene.

Thank you I keep hearing that and it seems to be a positive thing =3

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I didn't mean RPG maker games specifically for the music mini-game I just meant games in general; its a common type of puzzle thrown into rpgs (for example) like the tales series or etc... You just see it every now and then and its not exactly new; sorry if I wasn't clear.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I used to see it a lot in older PC games too. I know one or two of the Kings' Quest games had them and a few other games like that, and all those junky Disney activity pack things (Lion King one had one for sure). Trying to remember an RPG where I saw that sort of puzzle and one isn't coming to mind, but it wouldn't surprise me. xD Strangely enough, I think both the lion king one and one of the kings' quest ones involved playing music on bones. oo spooky.

I do not recall, personally, playing another RPGmaker game with one either though.

Bonkers

Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't mean RPG maker games specifically for the music mini-game I just meant games in general; its a common type of puzzle thrown into rpgs (for example) like the tales series or etc... You just see it every now and then and its not exactly new; sorry if I wasn't clear.
That's fine, but it's the first RPG maker game I've ever seen it in; and the script is unique.  Of course it isn't new, it's basically Simon in it's current state. 

I used to see it a lot in older PC games too. I know one or two of the Kings' Quest games had them and a few other games like that, and all those junky Disney activity pack things (Lion King one had one for sure). Trying to remember an RPG where I saw that sort of puzzle and one isn't coming to mind, but it wouldn't surprise me. xD Strangely enough, I think both the lion king one and one of the kings' quest ones involved playing music on bones. oo spooky.

I do not recall, personally, playing another RPGmaker game with one either though.
Yeah it was something I wanted to be easy enough to do for Mundy in the time remaining, but hadn't been done with the maker before.  I'm considering a few other mechanics for the kids atm.  I'll run them by you when I have the array done.  

Bonkers

Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got an interview and review:

I don't think English was his first language, but he did conduct it well and highlighted the good qualities of the game.

http://novanokingigmcreview.over-blog.com/2015/08/test-interview-jayce-and-stacy-ruin-the-igmc-for-everyone.html

I disagree with him about the music.  I feel it makes a huge part of the game.

So since there is some interest in getting things back up to snuff and it has been clear what needs to be done let's go ahead and make some plans.

I'll be able to work on things again come Sunday. (due to another 56+ hour week till Winter Shut Down sadly).

Version 2 will get rid of the assorted bugs and fix those transitions and behaviors that didn't work off the bat

as well as open up the "bad ending" properly.  I hope to have it up before the end of the month so I can curry more favor.

EDIT: This will also include an optional introduction to both pairs of teenagers and their backgrounds.

Since this worked well with other submissions, votes for content added.  Simply vote on the contest page if you want to see this progress further than it has:

25 Votes: Princess Claudia and the Princess Claudia ending.

I'll commission Makio to remake Claude's bust properly tiara and all

Castle Adlez for the Player to explore

A special VN style boss for the player to vanquish without the sequencer

50 Votes: NaruStacy and the Ninja Ending

Village hidden in the Drama for the Player to explore

A special VN style boss for the player to vanquish without the sequencer

75 Votes: HD Background/Desktop for supporters.

This will feature the 4 characters as well as Iggy as a special thank you.

Multiple sizes will be made

100 Votes: A new Mechanic added to the existing one for the player to interact with the enviroment and conflicts.

I'll talk more about it and how it works if we get this far.

EDIT:  Maybe too big.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An Iggy background? We all need it.

JeffPAWA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey there 

so I'm confused as F***, meaning i've played you're game and liked it!

I also made a Let's play of it if you feel like watching here it is!

So heres a written review just in case celebrity takes too much of your time, which is possible.

WTF i did not expect this but hell am I satisfied! 

-liked the characters a lot they're really something else!

-i think you're right when it comes to music, it's fine the way it is, sometime the transition is meh but i'm really nitpicking right now.

-you did some good jokes in there nicely done!

-so. much. gud. muzic.

there's a few things i didn't like too much (and it might be because i've downloaded it as soon as you had i up, maybe it's fixed now)

-sometime the characters picture/name don't match the text. It happened quite a bit so I had a tougher time than usual to read everything

-since the text box is almost always there and the character picture take so much place in the screen it's often hard to see whats going on with the sprites, for exemple i only saw Terrabytes avatar in the end...

-a few bugs here and there, but hey! who is perfect? no one so i won't be a streaming water :p

Oh i almost forgot, I totally didn't know that Wheel and Leg girl was a real thing... sooo i've made fun of it not knowing that, sorry! On the plus side, it's gives me another game to play....hah..haha...aaa.....

Anywho Good luck with the IGMC 

and have a good one!

Bonkers

Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the Let's play, it's hilarious.  I loved how you did the voices and were vivid the entire time.  I didn't expect this many people to enjoy it, and hopefully it means I stumbled on some good points.  I am very happy you were satisfied with the characters and music =3

That's okay, it is my fault for not doing a proper intro for the two duos.

Again I was very taken by your style of Let's play, thank you for this it really made me laugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Pretend you were telling, reading, or listening to a very serious, slightly scary story about witches. Would a witch doing the stereotypical flying on a broomstick thing ruin the mood?
Yeseylon wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
All Hail Storm Crow, the Blue Eyes White Dragon of MtG!
I love these real life Oblivion videos:
I'm playing DQ:XI DE in 2d mode with the synthesized soundtrack, the only way a RPGMAKER creator should play it. :D
:/ it really get on my nerves reading stuff about how to write a resume and they say things like "turn your failures into wins!!!" ... no interview Ive ever had cared to hear anything about my failures, and why would they :( ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpysquid