[IGMC 2015] Recommended games list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Indrah, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IGMC 2015 Recommended Playlist

I wanted to compile a list of games from the 2015 contest to play that are neat in some way, or simply hilariously bad (let's be honest those are fun to play sometimes too).
    Personally I want to get to record Let's Plays of them in a week or so, but there is just NO WAY I am going though the entire submission lists, so I thought putting together stuff as a community would work faster.

+Simply state the game title, link, and genre.
    +If you want to recommend a game you can write a short review pointing out why people would like/dislike the game. No scores necessary (and don't review your own game). 3 paragraphs or so max (any longer belongs in the game's page, which you should comment on anyway). Please make a note if you recommend or not the game by saying somewhere the tag (RECOMMEND/NOT RECOMMEND/MIXED). I'll put it on bold for quick access under the review. (I'd rather not have to make a guess from your reviews, just in case I mess it up. Just say yes/no/mix.

Games you can submit to the list:
    -Your own
    -Any game you feel is neat and worth checking out (doesn't have to belong to a forum member)
    *Games MUST be finished and comply the contest rules (have a working game download).

============================LIST============================​
    (Sorted by Genre->Alphabetical order)
     RECOMMENDED= 2 or more postive review score
     NOT RECOMMENDED= 2 or more negative review score.
     MIXED= Conflicting Reviews
     Video Avaliable= Link to video LP/vid below

RPGs

Adventure

Puzzle

Action

Strategy

Platformer

Shooter

Simulation

AVOID!
    Credits (troll entry)
    Magus Rising, Year One (crash)
    Slave Master (crude and pretty horrible looking. Not sure it isn't a troll/drunk entry

User Reviews:

A Fading Dream

[by TerminusEst13] NOT RECOMMENDEDIf only one vice could be said about me, it's that...well, I'm immature as can be. I'm foul-mouthed, I'm not shy of low-brow humor, I'm flirty, I'm often quite contrary, and I tend to dance around subjects most people don't like dealing with. But if I had another vice, it would be that I'm a sucker for a good harlequin. It's perhaps not "appropriate" of me, but I can't help it! I love me a cheesy, feelgood, romantic X-meets-Y story. A Fading Dream is supposed to be a tragic twist on this, with a story of two madly-in-love young adults, their best friend, and a heartfelt beginning with a cruel twist at the end.

I'm not going to spoil it here, but you really should already be able to guess what the cruel twist is.

I went in hoping I'd be able to sate my palette with some LEWD AS sheep HAND-HOLDING but unfortunately was left hanging. The story tends to bounce back and forth from plot point to plot point, as we go from romance to police duty to low-stakes adventure to ancient ghost fantasy to heartbreak to one of the three endings, which each cover a different genre spectrum depending on how you play your cards. There's some neat ideas here and a few dangling plot points that seem like they could go somewhere (what's going on with the mysterious shadows? What about the crazy bandits?), but they're never really expanded on. I'm all for flirtin' back and forth with a pretty lady, but once we kissed we just kind of knocked our teeth together and that sheep ruins pretty much any mood. Don't Recommend.
    A Hole in the Martian Sky

[by nana7] RECOMMENDED
    Nice music and Cowboy Martian mood from the brown/dark orange color scheme. The enemies are challenging while the players have several skills to chose with varying hit rates, damages, buffs or debuffs. The style and genre are not my cup of tea but it is still well done

[by Indrah] NOT RECOMMENDED
    Played 30 minutes, could not be assed to continue.
    -Visuals and general presentation are poor (personally I don't like the tile style at all, but even beyodn that the mapping is very bare and empty, with passability issues).
    -Characters do not have any distinct persionalities, the story was told in passing like a hit and run, and overall I have no idea of what I'm doign or why I should care. Writing overall is mediocre with a lot of punctuation, grammar, and typo mistakes.
    -Eventing and overall progression is very shaky and feels like the developer is a newbie or very inexperienced.
    -It does not feel like the future AT.ALL. I understand it's partially a resource/style choice but it's just awkward.
    -Plot progression is very awkward and feels very incomplete (suddenly we're with a man! Suddenly we're in a tunnel! Suddenly fireworks! WHAT IS GOING ON?!
    -Can't talk about the gameplay because I was simply not invested at all. It didn't crash, I guess?
    -Did not see any "growth" theme, but I stopped early so who knows if it's there later.
    Overall it feels like a mediocre, early shaky attempt game. I could not find any specific aspect to latch on to continue through the game (but I'm a jaded old woman who's very demanding of games, so there's that. )
    Don't recommend the game. The overall impression is shoddy.

A Stranger Comes to Shore
    [by Makio-Kuta] RECOMMENDED
    This is another entry to the contest with wonderful visuals. They aren't complex to look at, but they certainly add a LOT to the atmosphere of this game and I found myself staring at their paper-like drawing quality a lot. Couple that in with the music, and we have something beautiful here. Gameplay wise, this game is similar to the creators entry from last year, Oh! Ko!, but in terms of tone and mood and storytelling - vastly different. If you are looking for the lighthearted revelry of last year's entry, this is not it. The game oozes with melancholy, the atmosphere is heavy and gloomy and, most excitingly, seemingly sentient. By far my favourite aspect of this game was the sheer power it felt like my choices had in branching dialogue. I wasn't just picking a response, I was shaping the story itself. I have yet to experiment with other paths to see JUST how much impact my choices truly had - but even the feeling of control was fantastic and different and okay, this game was just great. PLAY IT. Talking about it does not do this interesting piece justice.
    Recommended. (Especially if you like unconventional artsy fartsy things.)

[by dinkledaberry] RECOMMENDED
    I love the art and the exploration aspects of the game. The flashback scenes and (I think) player-created choices to the story were nice. The game is shorter than an hour since it took me about 30 minutes and that was with consistent wandering and wondering what to do next. The puzzles were relatively simple and more intuitive which I enjoyed. Ultimately, I wasn't the biggest fan of the story itself but there's enough here to recommend to anyone looking to play an adventure game with an interesting art style. I'm sure others will appreciate it more than I did.

[by Indrah] MIXED
    Let me get this out of the way:
    THE WORLD MAP SUCKS AND SHOULD BE RIPPED OR HEAVILY MODIFIED. It destroyed any mood the game could have by making me stop dead in my tracks after every scene. Bad game, bad.
    With that out of the way, this game is...peculiar. And I'm pretty sure I “didn't get it”. As far as I can understand this is all about making of the game whatever you want and building your own version of the story, since it has little exposition and clarification of it's own.
    But...I'm not a deep person. I have no shame in admitting that. I am not good at extracting my own meaning from vague stuff like this, so this game went largely over my head and I had no idea what was going on or what the game was trying to say or make me think.
    Try this game by yourself and you may like it. BUT! If you're not the type who wants or likes to take your own view on a game, this is not for you. MIXED

Afromeda
    [by Makio-Kuta] RECOMMENDED
    Recommend it. Doesn't take long to play, but it's an entertaining few minutes. (even if the bosses are a bit lackluster and easy.) It's got Scythuz music~~ So you know you want to spend a few minutes with it, right?

ashugh - աշուղ
    [by Lucy Fox] NOT RECOMMENDED
    The idea behind this game is nice. It's also nice to look at and the music is great.
    But the technique doesn't really seem to work. The tree just grow and grows and grows and then.. game over. No matter what you do....
    Maybe it is fun, if it works... but at the moment it doesn't :/

Baby-making time!
    [by Indrah] MIXED 
    It's meh. You have to pair up couples by making them meet in specific places and navigating a complicated map. You spend 10 minutes just TAKING IN the cluttered mess that is the map to try and bring two people together. There are also a lot of ways to mess up (especially with the foot items to feed the dogs, msot of which do absolutely nothing).

Once you've had a couple fall I love, you've seen everything. Even between characters there is not much dialog and certainly nothing worth spending much time on. Characters are not compelling and there is absolutely no plot. The ending does not exist, it's just someone saying “good job, try again next time”.
    I don't recommend this, but I won't tell people to stay AWAY either. It's just there, not particularly good.

[by Ms Littlefish] NOT RECOMMENDED
    "Baby-Making Time" is a game that features a cast of socially inept adults who have severe personality flaws and have no business being in committed relationships, let alone rearing children. Many are in very demanding careers, are still in university, overworked, underemployed, or plain unemployed. So obviously the absolute best idea is become a parent, sometimes even to five children.
    While there could have been some enjoyment in how outlandish the premise and the characters are; the controls are clunky, the mechanics are annoying, and the music doesn't even loop completely.

[by nana7] NOT RECOMMENDED
    The human race is in danger. Their numbers are dwindling because love is losing its power. So it's up to cupid to save the day! Dang. I really wanted to like this one. The premise of the game had so much potential and the intro was hilarious. The humor was on-point from what I saw of the romantic conversations I was able to unlock. But the bulk of the game was too boring after awhile. Instead of letting us bring people together there's many minor fetch quests that must be performed to move people out of the way. Traveling around a map looking for tiny, new pixels so you can move an NPC out of the way to get to the main game wears thin real quick. It doesn't help matters that you have to manually pull each and every couple to each and every destination one step at a time. The music that plays during the game started to grate on me and I felt myself losing interest and just wanting the game to end. Others might be able to keep with it and complete the game but I had to tap out because the combination of flying aimlessly with a single, grating loop of music playing, all while looking for the next item to move the next NPC so I could finally get to the fun part of the game...was too much. Might try it later.

[by dinkledaberry] NOT RECOMMENDED
    The human race is in danger. Their numbers are dwindling because love is losing its power. So it's up to cupid to save the day! Dang. I really wanted to like this one. The premise of the game had so much potential and the intro was hilarious. The humor was on-point from what I saw of the romantic conversations I was able to unlock. But the bulk of the game was too boring after awhile. Instead of letting us bring people together there's many minor fetch quests that must be performed to move people out of the way. Traveling around a map looking for tiny, new pixels so you can move an NPC out of the way to get to the main game wears thin real quick. It doesn't help matters that you have to manually pull each and every couple to each and every destination one step at a time. The music that plays during the game started to grate on me and I felt myself losing interest and just wanting the game to end. Others might be able to keep with it and complete the game but I had to tap out because the combination of flying aimlessly with a single, grating loop of music playing, all while looking for the next item to move the next NPC so I could finally get to the fun part of the game...was too much. Might try it later.

Beanstalk
    [by nana7] RECOMMENDED
    The battles in this game require lots of thinking on your feet. Spamming one or two skills will not cut it. And one starts the game with a good number of skills and items. Satchel items are unlimited, only needing CP to use, same as the weapon skills. The mobs are challenging and I died in my first fight against 2 enemies. I am not usually one to bother with debuffs or stuns but in this game I do. The only real negative for me; my eyesight is not so good so some of the text is hard to read, maybe more contrast or darker outlines for the letters would help? The music is nice too, starting with more traditional at the start and then sounding more rock n roll in the clouds (at least that is how it sounds to me).

Another game with wonderful custom art. Though the storyline from what I saw of it was simple, the characters were likable enough to get around that. I really enjoyed the premise of this and how it ties into the growth theme. Due to time constraints, the titular character is lacking in any visual panache, but the custom enemies and character art make up for this in spades. Combat is a lot of fun, though some slow animations bog it down at times. Nice work overall!

Blacksword Chronicles
    [by Makio-Kuta] MIXED
    Blacksword is the first game for this contest that I've played where the gameplay outshines everything else. Not that everything else is bad, this battle system is just dang fun! We're given a great first impression with the title screen, sadly I felt that impression was instantly killed by the first map and a lot of the atmosphere was lost. For me, this was obviously not my cup of tea - the writing is very dry and didn't really pick up until other characters were introduced down the line. This is another game where we get the sense that we're dropped into a world and everyone freely talks about things that we, as the player, have no knowledge of, but where it failed in another game and worked here is that our player character, Dust, is seemingly operating on that same level. He doesn't have his memories, and doesn't honestly look like he has much place or direction in this world in his own head. We're on equal footing, so rather than Giles' conversation about his historian stuff coming across as overwhelming or confusing, it instead comes across as "this guy is rambling, and Dust and I don't care enough to ask for details." Which is fine, because my character and I are on the same page. This is another game that I could not finish in the 1/2hour I was giving myself, so I cannot say where the writing will go from here.
    Recommended for the battle system, but in terms of story, hard for me to recommend.

[by Indrah] RECOMMENDED
    Game has a strong core (engaging active gameplay with one-on-one (or two, or three!) combat). Biggest problem are the bad mapping conveyance and the high skill level required.
    Imporant note! If you want to enjoy this game but do NOT possess the reaction time to play it, simply cheat our the wazoo like I did: to stop time (and thus have all the reaction time in the world) simply play in windowed mode and click outside the game screen. Click inside again to resume.
    Whether or not you're capable of reacting at a good pace (naturally or by stopping time) will determine if you can like the game or not (otherwise it will frustrate you). The story and characters are decent, nothing spectacular but they serve the two hour runtime well and they don't give any fuss. I recommend this to anyone, but also recommend you cheat as I pointed above if you're not very skilled like myself.

Chroma Wheel
    [by dinjledaberry] RECOMMENDED
    Control the google chrome logo and collect colors. Wait come back! This is actually fun. Like a four-sided Ikaruga (but without any shooting). I spent a little bit of time with it but it's a fun time-waster. It's web-based so you don't have to worry about downloading it at all. It's going to be ported to mobile it seems where it would be a perfect fit I think.
    Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast

Right away, the artwork in this game is stunning. From the title screen right into the game itself - you can tell a lot of effort went into making this game's style and aesthetic. Now, sometimes that means the game doesn't weigh up to the same standards, but with Dead and Breakfast the writing and characterization continued to be solid. A half an hour of time was only enough to get half way through the second day - so in terms of gameplay I'm still unsure. We have an almost harvest moon-y grow a garden, sell flowers, buy stuff to make more flowers mini-game going on behind the scenes. So far it's tied in well to the story rather than being something tacked on, but I cannot know if that will carry on through the rest of the game.
    Recommended. (Especially if you enjoy text heavy games with light gameplay, good characters, and nice visuals.)

[by dinkledaberry] RECOMMENDED
    I just finished Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast and it was SO good. From the title screen to the cute little credits I really enjoyed the simple nature of the game. You play as an aspiring writer who helps watch a closed bed and breakfast house for an older woman when she ends up ill in the hospital after her son passes. After a few days in the house you start to realize that you're not the only one in the house. The story covers your stay over the course of a week in game-time. You get to grow flowers in the meantime to sell to make money and stop by the grocery store to buy breakfast foods. Trust me, that sounds odd but it's awesome in this game. Everything from the hand-drawn graphics to the sweet narrative really did it for me. The first game I played for IGMC 2015 and I already feel like I have a favorite. You guy should check it out.
    Crystal Fate
    [by Vox Novus] NOT RECOMMENDED
    Game is fairly well mapped, art is great looking and the hud really pops in battle and stands out,music selection is nice and well placed. Dialogue is well written most of the time and the characters have a decent amount of charm put into them and for the most part the story is intriguing. There are no game breaking glitches or anything and only a couple errors with skills. Over all the game is otherwise incredibly solid and a decent playthrough.
    Only problem is this game is easy, not just normal easy easy but ludicrously easy. You can go the majority of normal encounters just spamming attack if you wanted, status ailments exist but are almost never applied to your characters and at times you get hit for a whopping 0 damage. Remember those status ailments? the one time they really hit me was when I had one character and got inflicted with confuse and sleep and thus couldn't heal if I wanted to; there is also no way to prevent status ailments so there is no avoiding this scenario. As an rpg this game fails at it's most fundamental level in game mechanic design.

Dungeon Bachelor
    I almost swear this is a joke game like Credits. This game is like Pokemon...but with chicks. You pick a team of girls at the beginning, walk around winning battles and then choose one of the girls in your team to marry. It uses the Old School Modern resource pack but the dialogue is all over the place and events are very confusing. The game doesn't take itself seriously which makes me think this is a first project by a young teenager. The humor is weird and pretty bad. At one point a famous male celebrity is revealed to be a chick and so his fans...riot against him? Like what? Wasn't a fan myself. The battle system was the best part of the game but was also very out of balance.

Escalia
    [by Indrah] NOT RECOMMENDED
    Overall disappointing. Has some nice presentation but no real core content. Plot is bland and aimless, has long intro cutscene that has nothing to do with the main game, ending is a joke that amounts to nothing. Gameplay fine but resource costs were very stingy, most sidequests were missable and had to be done before even gettigg the third party member, and overall there were shoddy design choices (sometimes items shine, sometimes they don't. Just pick one and stick to it!).
    The last boss is an exercise in patience and anger management unless you fight most combat and do the sidequests (which I did not). It took me THIRTY MINUTES (not joking) to defeat the last boss by spamming the exact same action (boss never changed its tactics) only to see a very disappointing ending.
    Overall, it feels like more time was spent on minor polish in the menu and visuals than the core of a rpg (gameplay and story). And I'm sorry, but I'd rather play an game with an interesting story or gameplay with the default menus than a game with pimped out menus and very bland and pointless content. And the last battle was a disaster that made me angry.

Everything is Going to be Okay
    [by Makio-Kuta] MIXED
    This game suffers in that although it has interesting concepts, they are being hindered by an unfortunate lack of balance. I couldn't beat a boss in this game and that prevented me from finishing it as much as I really wanted to. It's another great game for setting an example for atmosphere though, as both visual and sound design in this game were handled nicely. I think it's just a case of running out of time - Did encounter a game crashing bug, but it never seemed to happen during the gameplay itself and was usually on the title screen, so not a super big deal. It's a shame, because I think with a bit more time to properly balance and stomp out some little glitches, this could have been a very interesting game. Storywise, from what I saw of it, it was another case of piece it together yourself; I may be mistaken though, as I never did beat it.

The music and graphics are great. Lends the game it's own feel. Keeping track of health and thirst while wandering the desert is a great mechanic though I had a few issues with it. There were a few times where my thirst seemed to change drastically for no reason. Near the beginning it didn't change at all from 55 and then suddenly BOOM 23. Yikes. The story didn't really work for me but I can see other people enjoying it. The battles were kind of disappointing. It seems most enemies only had one attack (except for item stealing kangaroo rats) and the character's skills all boiled down to "hit them until they die". This resulted in me skipping most of the battles later on which made the final boss fight annoying since I was under-leveled at that point. I had also spent all my stamps and there was no way to leave the final room to level up. The final boss was disappointing as well since it was just the same as the rest. Attack (or rather comfort) until dead and the boss did the same. This seems like the kind of game that would benefit greatly (to me at least) from either no battle system or a more unique, revamped one. I don't recommend this one personally, but I'm sure it has its audience out there.

Ghost Shards Inquisitor
    [by Makio-Kuta] MIXED
    In this game you play the role of an inquisitor and from what I gathered from the story you're fresh into the job after someone else more talented and favourable lost it. This game felt a lot like spying on someone else's life that you're not a part of - hearing things that rise questions but not being able to find the answers because this isn't a person you know, this isn't a life you know. That made a lot of things the characters said a bit hard to follow, especially since it's readily obvious that this game -IS- a smaller part of a bigger whole. Right down to there being far more town then was needed for the actual story of this game. In terms of the actual gameplay, we're playing a detective here and given the task of solving a crime that just happened. Talk to people and gather evidence and then confront the angry knight guy with the truth. This was a fine enough system and it worked well. The logic was never too hard to follow, even if I was very bad at spotting that one clue haha! The New Evidence system was very slow though, and you could complete the entire investigation before it all popped up on the screen easily. The character artwork was a nice treat, especially our leading man's.
    It's hard for me to recommend this game, as again it really felt like I was attending a party I was never invited to.
    Growing Pains
    [by tlst999] NOT RECOMMENDED- but has potential to be better
    The game play, unfortunately, is a bit lacking and could be better but it's actually not as horrible as it could have been. It has the usual downfall of many RPGs of being a bit too reliant on battle grinding and for the first few fights all you have is attack. It does get rather boring after awhile due to using Ace's default EXP scheme, but I think that's actually for balance reasons here rather than due to dev laziness. (Well, also due to the contest setup, but at least not just laziness)
    My only other concern is one of the skills you get (which is named the same as the game title) is fairly overpowered, but since you don't really fight anything that strong in this it just really makes the game feel a bit more grindy due to spamming that before using attack (and I'm not going to say exactly what it does due to believing that games need to be experienced rather than simply talked about, though I do like how the main skills are tied into the story rather than just simply there when you level. It make them feel important and ties the mechanics and story together a bit better)
    From an aesthetics perspective, the RTP actually works a lot in the game's favor; the light colors fit very well with the game's theme.There was a point where the battle music got a bit annoying, but that's no fault of the game dev (it happens even with the best RPGs, unfortunately) I will say that it might have looked better if the busts used for Tom Thumb and Thumbelina were cropped down to the proper faceset size first rather than simply resized down (they looked a bit awkward) though that might be just a personal thing (they are supposed to be “smaller” than everyone, after all)
    (full review is in a comment on the game's page)
    Homeless
    [by tlst999] RECOMMENDED
    This game is simple, but it's really immersive. It kinda shows how the homeless are treated in society.
    The game's really easy once you played it once. You can get the best ending even without taking the easy mode treasure chest.
    There's the innkeeper who kicks you out the moment you enter the inn. There's the scumbag item shop owner who wants you to work for him and kicks you out without a cent once you're done. There's the blacksmith who's actually a lot nice. He gives you a part-time job but doesn't pay you much because he's not doing too well himself.
    Plus two other colourful characters. Not spoiling anything.
    Overall, thumbs up for immersive gameplay. It's worth my one vote.

An interesting premise for a game that is marred by average characters and story-telling, but the gameplay itself is short and put together well enough to keep one entertained throughout. I beat it twice in one sitting in less than an hour. The game consists of working hard to make money during the day before resting at night. The player can spend money on food and items to restore health and energy or a bed at the end of the day for either him, his sister or both. Sleeping on the street is bad for your health so it's interesting to manage all these factors at once. I feel the game could have benefited more from a modern day setting, as the medieval setting kind of detracts from the message the game was trying to deliver. Ultimately, the game is good enough to check out. Just don't expect to be blown away.

[by nana7] RECOMMENDED
    This is the best entry I have played so far! I hope it wins one of the prizes. The game is very engaging with characters I cared about and some NPC I really disliked, which is better than not feeling anything for an NPC. I played through and died from exhaustion but loaded a save and made it to the good ending. One minor thing about the saves, the 1st one shows the main character but the 2nd and 3rd ones show someone else with green hair.

[by watermark] RECOMMENDED
    This is less of an RPG and more of a simulation game in my opinion. This is a time management game where you must keep you and your sister alive for 10 days. During this time you can take odd jobs during the day and be offered shady but lucrative deals during the night. I played the "good boy" route so I didn't take any of the shady deals, so don't know what happens with those, but it proves that you can beat the game and get Ending 1 (best ending?) by not doing any of the "night quests." Personally, I would've liked if the odds jobs came paired with mini games to increase or decrease the payout, but the dev was going for an overall strategy feel. Also there could've been more random quests I think. Still, it was fun, I enjoyed it. Oh, and the menus are beautifully done!

Irrational Secrets: Another Story 
    [by nana7]  NOT RECOMMENDED (may recommend a later, fixed version)
    I love the concept, visual novel combined with the map animations, The portraits and expressions are really well done too. Unfortunately the game crashes for me when trying to leave Lillith's room and I tried replaying through with a few different choices.
    Aside from that it would be nice to be able to save at any point especially immediately prior to making a choice so we do not have to click through everything again to reach that point. Being able to undo and return to last decision point would also be nice. And being able to skip to the next decision point would be nice for replays.
    I liked what I saw but it ended too soon. 

Jayce and Stacy Ruin the IGMC for EVERYONE!
    Alrighty, I'll be up front, my point of view here might be jaded as I helped with the character art work for this game. This game largely feels like one of those 'hate it or love it' sort of things. It's got a little memory music game that is integrated nicely into the story at first, but then falls victim to forced integration later on, but the mini-game is so not the highlight of this game - it's the characters. And what characters they are! The writing in this game is very solid and it shows a strong sense of understanding characterization and how to bring life to the exchanges between everyone. I love that kind of stuff, so for me the characters were a total treat. It's unfortunate that the pacing of the story shows obvious signs of being a bit rushed, especially as we reach the ending. It became harder and harder to follow the action and I found myself a bit confused when certain things happened to who and how and what? Visually this game is a treat, but not for the same reasons I mentioned other games were visually stunning. Where some games it's a matter of style, aesthetic, and atmosphere, S&J is on a new level of technical merit. There's a lot of neat things here for the eye to feast on. Speeding cut ins to break apart scenes, flickering busts, etc It's all very neat!
    Recommended - for anyone looking for a solid laugh and fun character dialogue.
    Not Recommended - for anyone who doesn't like laughing more than gameplay/story.

A fun text-driven game where the only gameplay seems to be dialogue choices (that I'm pretty sure don't change anything?) and a terrible music section that was funny at first but wore thin by the third time. The game itself is a riot and if this is the humor that will be used in the designer's other game "Wheels and the Leg Girl" then hell yeah I'm looking forward to that. I came across a few odd transitions and scene glitches which is surprising from such a short game but what was here was great. This game is enjoyable for those looking for a fourth-wall breaking little bit of humor. It's not going to win any awards I think but overall, people should get a kick out of it.
    Memories
    [by McTricky]NOT RECOMMENDED
    Chaos Avian and I also did an LP on this, but ended up not managing to finish it, due to the game not being very clear about where to go so we couldn't actually progress. Never mind the game's usage of the RTP, it's just the game is just...RTP. No changes were made to the classes or even the skillset of the main character. In one of the videos you'll find us actually predicting that since we haven't obtained a single skill having been at Level 3 we predicted we would get our first skill at Level 5 (based on the RTP setup). Music was fine, it fit with stuff, but the writing and tone went from 100 to 0 real quick. Very cliched opening (barring the actual intro) which the author actually states as being sarcastic. Also the game gives you game overs for STUPID THINGS. We review the game at the end of the 3rd episode of our LP.
     [by bgllisp]NOT RECOMMENDED
    I agree with Mctricky, that game is...maybe you should still play it just to rip it? But honestly I'd say not recommended, unless you just want to see a bad game with the RTP maps.

Moonbound
    [by Indrah] MIXED
    Overall, the game was disappointing, precisely because it could have been SO good. But it wasn't.
    First off, there's a lot of very cool and neat design choices and attention to detail. However, where this game failed entirely is to remember to GRAB my attention and engage me. We know absolutely nothing about the characters in the game, which is a real pity because you had a LITTLE GIRL and DOG, which by itself could have been an adorable and very likeable combo, but they never interact past a “come on boy, let's go”. There was so much potential FOR MORE that never came to be.
    We have no real reason to care about the character's goal, we know nothing of the world, the backstory, and the characters have no real personality. Even when (SPOILER!) some of them die, I could not really give much of a dayum, because I never go to really KNOW or CARE for them.
    Another big problem is that the game quickly lost its charm and became tedious. Sure, the puzzles change slightly, but they were still not that engaging and the controls' dodgy nature got in the way sometimes. Overall the game (in its current state where it has no character engagement) could have been better served being much shorter and relying on it's cute start when we're still not sick of the same things.
    I know some people liked this game. I'm not going to say it's not enjoyable, but personally I found it lacking and would not say it's a recommended play (but neither will I say you should avoid it). 
     Never Fallen

[by watermark] RECOMMENDEDThis is a science fiction game with light romance where you play a prince battling maverick robots using an Iron Man like suit. The game has a deep and engaging battle system that is well balanced. Plus this game has some cool visual "special effects" that will make you rethink how RPG Maker games can be designed. Also as someone who downloaded an earlier beta of this game, I was impressed by how much was changed in I think 1 week's time. I like this!

You can read the full review here.

Nido Force
    [by TerminusEst13] RECOMMENDED
    Bloody hell this game is cute. Adorable artwork, adorable artstyle, adorable character and enemy design, hhhnnnnggggghhh. A third-person platformer, story is mostly minimal--Nido is just jumping from island to island, throwing fireballs and shooting ice bolts at enemies just because. The wildlife, in turn, takes offense to all of this and starts feebly trying to nibble on her shins, which if done enough times will cause Nido to expire. Works for me. Let's go.
    Gameplay is definitely extremely interesting, even if it's composed with familiar elements. Run and jump through levels, check. Collect tchotchkes to unlock further levels, check. Fight recurring boss multiple times, check. Maneuver character with keyboard and control camera to position jumps, check. Collect powerups to shoot enemies, check. And yet, all of them are blended together in a way that's both unique and compelling. While both of the starting items can only be charitably described as conditionally-useful (less charitably as "utter sheep"), thankfully it's pretty easy to maneuver around the world without being forced into combat. Plus, it won't take long to grab an extra fireball or ice spell, and then it's actually kind of fun to maneuver around attacks and line up a critical shot.
    Though there's some extremely critical game-breaking bugs (dying to the final boss forces you to console and requires you to load up an earlier game) and some extremely questionable design decisions (what use is the shield? Why would you ever swap from the ice powerup? Why doesn't Nido have a shadow to make platforming more precise?), thankfully the rest of the game more than makes up for it and, in my eyes, is does not stop me from slapping a Recommend onto this game.

Oh! I'm Getting Taller!

[by Lucy Fox] RECOMMENDED
    The game has nice visuals and a nice idea. There isn't much to do, but though it's fun to see how everything is changing
    and what happens next. Also the technical part is well made. I noticed just a few bugs with the animation states but that
    doesn't affect the game itself.
    The only thing I didn't like was that you have to walk veeeeery much. To here. to there and back again and there again.....
    But beside this it is a good game.

Pandora's Box
    Good atmosphere and initial mystery that is soured later by a terrible battle system and average writing and twists. The game starts good enough, setting up the mystery of the box and its mysterious arrival in your possession and the first dream battle isn't too complex and actually a little interesting. But in the third chapter things start to fall apart and the battles become chores thanks to the reliance on random card draws to deal damage. I was stuck on the final battle for over half an hour just meditating and draw 1's and 2's over and over. It wasn't difficult, I just couldn't DO any damage and lost all interest in the game. The revelations on the nature of the mystery prior to the battle didn't help matters either. Overall, I can't recommend it to people unless they want to see some interesting tricks that can be done with RPG Maker.
    Planterra

[by TerminusEst13] RECOMMENDEDThe idea behind this game is the coolest. You play as a plantman that traverses platforms by magicking plants out of nowhere. You get to play a fricking Power Rangers villain. Except he's not a villain. This is easily one of the more original concepts and ideas I've seen in a long time, and it executes it...kind of well?

The story is simplistic and, honestly, it doesn't really need to be more than that. You are a plantdude and you have a friend. A storm happens, and using your magic you lock your friend down. Storm blows you away. Now you have to get back to your friend (ostensibly) because you like him. At least, I assume. Maybe he owes you twenty plantbux. Or maybe you wanna do him. Whatever motivation you choose to subscribe to, now you gotta run and jump through levels.

And honestly, the game works despite (or perhaps because of) its simple set-up. It's pretty solid; the running runs and the jumping jumps, and you run and jump through a variety of worlds. The trick comes primarily in creating platforms, either via magicking out vines or by planting seeds and then magicking out blocks. It doesn't aim to be anything more than a fun and silly little endeavor and it doesn't need to be, it's got a clever gimmick and it uses it for some fun run-and-jump times.

If I had to pick nits (and I do, that's the name of the game when it comes to criticism), it would be that there's no way to access a continue from the main screen. In my playthrough, I ended up accidentally falling through the floor into oblivion, and shutting off the game forced me to restart. dayum. Despite this, I would heartily Recommend.

Resonate ~ call out my angel.
    [by dinkledaberry]  NOT RECOMMENDED
    The game itself is very beautiful with great music to accompany the visuals. But...the game is flawed. The story takes place in a girl's dream/coma which is standard fantasy fare but doesn't really seem to go anywhere. The characters become the "best" of friends upon first meeting each other faster than I think I've seen in any JRPG before. Though two out of three of the "best" friends have meltdowns for apparently no reason during their storylines. Monche is easily the best character in this regard since he shoulders the final boss fight all by himself instead of doing any whining (although it's an odd design choice to have this final boss as a gimmicky one-on-one instead of three-on-one but oh well). The dialogue is...not good and feels both cliche and confusing at the same time. The enemies and bosses encountered are hand-drawn and pretty but the battles themselves are either too easy or frustrating to recommend. The customization of equipment was enjoyable although it was mostly rendered useless by the end. I also ran into a few cases of collision detection with ladders and enemies. So, positives: art, music and customization. Cons: Everything else I'm afraid.

[by Lucy Fox] RECOMMENDED
    The visual part of this game is very nice. As far as I know everything is handmade, what deserves my respect. (especially in this short time)
    The battle system is fun and also nice to look at. The story is nothing special, but well told and staged.
    Though... the last bossfight is quite chewy... and the BS itself could be a bit faster. The shortness of the story makes it a bit strange and hard
    to believe that they become friends this far. But considering the short development time I think it came out very well.
    It's not the best game, but I had fun with it.
    Red Syndrome
    [by Vox Novus] RECOMMENDED
    There is nothing overtly wrong with the game, no glitches and only miniscule grammer and spelling mistakes; mapping and music selection are solid. Battlers used look great and fit in with the setting and Neok's art is well done with its own unique look to it. The true reason for an rpg fan to check out this game is for the way battles are handled. You can't heal in battle and there are no resources like mp or tp, instead you must carefully manage cooldowns and use your skills at the appropriate time in relation to when the enemies turn may come up. Outside of battle you have to explore while trying to push back the invasion of the red syndrome but doing so comes at the cost of expending one of your levels. There aren't really any puzzles just key cards to collect and hidden skills to find.
    Rootbound.
    [by Vox Novus] RECOMMENDED
    I really enjoyed this game! Took some getting used to since I also used the music pack from RPG Maker DS but this game had a lot of charm. The story was lighthearted and the characters were pretty funny. I'm glad it ended the way it did as well. It was hilarious and a welcome change of pace from the usual. The battles and skills worked really well together. The unique way you use gemstones to buy equipment was nice, though could have probably been expanded upon, and I liked how you had a set item amount you could restock at the inn. The maps were very well put together and a great use of the Time Fantasy pack. Ultimately I think this game was better than your entry last year Indrah! Very nicely done.

[by Lucy Fox] NOT RECOMMENDED
    First, the visual part of this games is great. I really like the style and everything is very well put together.
    The battles are a bit beyond easy (You never really have to take care about your health ).
    But, what really turned me off, was the huuuuuge amount of text in this game. I like reading and do it a lot.
    But especially dialogues shouldn't be cluttered with unnecessary and unimportant stuff.
    There seems to be not a single dialogue that doesn't let you think: "Come on! Let me continue playing!"
    The first 20~ minutes of this game are dialogue. Then you play 5 minutes to get to another few minutes of dialogue.
    That's just too much of it. And therefore to less gameplay :/

Run! Run Black!
    [by McTricky]  NOT RECOMMENDED
    It uh...it doesn't play very well. Controls are confusing, movement is rusty and there is absolutely no audio which is essential for a game like this for it lacks any aural cues. (see video below)
    Shards of Eryia
    [by Tornado Samurai] RECOMMENDED
    One of the most unique and iconic games I have ever played.
    Eyria, a popular real-time fantasy, tactical-strategy card game, played by all ages, that has taken the Earth and it's citizens by storm. You play as a custom character of your choice who will be introduced to the world of Eyria, but is it really just a card game...? Learn tips and tricks about Eyria and become a card-game master. Battle many opponents in three different visually-stunning locations. Collect a variety of Eryia cards from foes or purchase them from stores and summon allied monsters to aid you in battle against the enemy. Engage in fights with an iconic, captivating and challenging battle system. Explore the vast areas and battle foes and find hidden treasures. Encounter friends who will help you learn more about Eyria and continue with you on your journey. Meet fascinating characters and find out more about the interesting story: a terrible cataclysm that plans to destroy all of existence and four heroes who rise to right the wrongs. Sent on a journey, with blessings from a goddess, you and your friends must find the four Shards throughout the world before the apocalypse approaches. Can these individuals save the future?
    • This game has quite the challenging combat. Depending on win or lose conditions, you will most likely lose cards. It is wise to save often to not lose a specific card you favor.
    • At the beginning of the game, you will be required to buy a set of cards for a deck. Due to given funds, it is notadvised to buy the most expensive cards first. At the moment it is wise to buy the cheapest cards, but do not worry, as you excel in battles, you will receive significantly better cards.)
    • After your friend, Reg, leaves the party for the first time and you're free to wander the city, go to your home. The screen will fade to black and fade to normal. What actually happened is that now it's a new day, and a new event has unlocked.
    • The "X" button on the keyboard is used to save. You'll unlock it after you purchase your first deck of cards.
    • IMPORTANT: The link to download the latest version is in the description. Bugs have been fixed in this ver. Clicking "Download Now" will only get you to the outdated version with bugs.
    Slime Heart

I loved this to death!! Great characters, great writing, cute premise. The gameplay is entertaining. Maps aren't the best and to that I say - whatever! The custom art was fantastic. I just. I really loved this. This is the most incomprehensible review on this thread now!!!

Symbiote 
    [by dinkladaberry] RECOMMENDED
    Take metroid but make it with punches and kicks. I liked this fun platformer! The story was told mostly through crew logs and that's fine by me. The exploration was well done and the player really became a badass by the end of it. The gameplay was fun and the controls were spot-on. I kind of wish there were more bosses since it seemed there was just the one but this game is legit. I got three out of the 5 ancient artifacts or whatever they are but I might go back to find them. I recommend this game for anyone looking for a good platformer in the contest.

[by Indrah] MIXED
    Let me start by saying I'm neither good nor a fan of platformers, so that colors my opinion a lot.
    +Neat visuals, presentation is not the shiniest, more bling thing ever, but does its job very well.
    +Sound design was solid and I found no issues with it.
    -Controls felt kind of floaty and slippery, especially the jumping. I plain quit when I could not manage to climb up a tunnel by walljumping. I tried. No way.
    -The intro had a very weird huge amoutn of (admittedly optional) exposition. I'm no expect, but I don't think people who play platformers want 15 recordings before the first enemy.
    -Improtant upgrade textboxes disappear even when brushing slighly against the movement buttons, meaning you skip most of the useful text by accident.
    If you like plataformers, maybe give this a chance. If you don't, this game won't change your opinion.
    The King in Yellow
    [by dinkladaberry] RECOMMENDED
    (RECOMMEND) - It's a "Can't Miss" only if you love creepy atmospheric music in a game.
    (IT'S JUST OKAY) - For those who don't really care much for game music.
    The story and graphics were just okay. The music, on the other hand, is the biggest star of the game. Absolutely loved it. It's creepy, haunting and really sets the mood. This game is worth playing for the atmospheric music alone. Thumbs up for the composing work.

The Arena
    [by Watermark] RECOMMENDED
    This is a story about a Roman gladiator slave and his sister and how he got out Spartacus style (and Spartacus the man himself makes an appearance). The biggest advertisement of this game is that it's fully voice acted. This is always a HUGE risk, even for professional games as you are never sure how the VAs will do. However, I must say that personally I enjoyed the voice acting. I mean when I first turned it on I was all ready to shut off voice acting in case it got really bad, but it worked. Now, the gameplay is fairly straightforward basic front view battles, but you get to pick which weapon before starting each fight. It's fun but like I told the dev it might've been more interesting if there were situations where one must use a certain type of weapon. Also, really prepare yourself for the final sequence of the game as it is a bit unforgiving. Still, overall I enjoyed this game.

The Notebook - To the Underworld and Back Again
    [by Dimi] RECOMMENDED
    This is a very strong submission.
    You are a resurrected hero that enters the underworld to find the recently dead son of the goddess. The story might sound simple but is very well written. Throughout the game I thought that writing like that I usually see in professional games. Thumbs up for that.
    The maps are well made and there are many locations, even though you don't need to visit and explore all of them. I feel like the maps can support a game that lasts for 8+ hours if the creator wants to do that.
    The music and the graphic assets serve their purpose, nothing more, nothing less.
    What really takes the cake and deserves praise, is the mechanic of the game. In short, you collect info (notes) from the people you meet, you make corellations between them and try to take the best decision based on what you have learned. The whole mechanic can work great with an adventure game (and I see The Notebook... as an adventure game, not rpg, even though you fight the last boss). It's better if you play the game, you will understand better how deep this system is.
    Definitely worth playing.

[by nana7] RECOMMENDED
    I really enjoyed this game. The avatars (representing notes) in notebook world (a special section visited twice in the game) are nice but perhaps having an option to select notes from a text list would help the clunky factor? I had all the notes and revelations up until the Advocate portion and after gaining a few points there I tired of trying to find the right avatars and took my chances with a fight (won it, woohoo). It is a solid entry and definitely worth playing.
    [by watermark] RECOMMENDED

Ok. At first glance this game looks like a beginner game (It is.) that makes one want to hit the pass button immediately. And honestly I probably wouldn't have played this till the author asked me to review it for him. I was pleasantly surprised. The game starts a bit slow but it has a fun "Phoenix Wright" like mystery deduction game midgame. This game won't blow your mind, but it is a good play for when you just want something casual to play for 40 minutes. I also can't help but think how much better this game could be if it was done up with custom graphics. It might've given it a much different feel. Also if the author spends more time improving the writing a bit (ok, the same can be said of writing in my own game so I prob shouldn't be criticizing anyone here...but let's not get off topic.) the game has a lot of potential.

You can read the full review here.
    Trascendence
    [by nana7] MIXED game has bugs to fix
    In the Ice Cavern I was the sea witch and exited a map at the top right and a new map loaded with a big tree next to a little tree on the right side of the screen but my character did not appear and none of the skills work. Enter key is only thing that does anything and I never saw a way to save.
    At first I did not think I was going to like the game because of the graphics but it did grow on me. I mostly played as the fairy when that was an option and then the sea witch and sat around boosting their skills to level three right away. The sound was pretty loud. The story really started getting interesting with the sea witch.

Verdant
    [by nana7] NOT RECOMMENDED (at least until game is more finished)
    The tutorial did not work so well for me but I was able to figure out most things in the game. I could not figure out what the 50 dollar boxes with the orange or brown things in it was for. Fertilizer? At first I thought I had to keep watering a square for the plant to grow but that is not the case. It would help tell players to place a well, place the basket, use the hoe on a few squares that will be planted, buy and place the seeds, and water the dry squares, then select the hand tool and just click on the first one planted until it can be harvested and placed in the basket. Then plant and repeat. And start with a small farm and then expand only as much as can be planted. A little hand holding is fine to get players started.
    The game would be better with some music and sound effects. It would especially help to have descriptions of the items in the shop and inventory. You mentioned plants affect soil quality, but in what way? That is a great mechanic but players need to know how that works in order to make plans. And if soil quality is affected, it would be nice to have a tool to examine the soil to see its current state.
    I see how the conveyor belt might be useful for a large farm if one sets up a major network. Even though the right mouse setting can easily move from the corner to a basket in the center of the screen, it is nice to have the belt option. Especially if it works well with other automations.
    I think the game could also benefit from a goal.or maybe awards along the way for certain milestones (x money made/spent, x seeds planted, etc). Awards could be of any type: bonus, kudos from mayor, a title (novice, adept, etc). Or perhaps farming is its own reward?

Wizards of the Pale!
    [by JosephSeraph] MIXED
    This game has a multiplayer option and would probably have gotten a Recommended if I had played it with friends.
    It's a very polished game, from the 30 minutes I did play, offering plenty of different mechanics that play nothing like an RPG maker game. I enjoyed the amount of effort put into the game, and I really like the atmosphere too, it really brings me to a retro, western, D&Dy vibe. (It also brings me to the PS2 Rpg Maker 3 lol which is a plus) I also really enjoyed all the flavour text, it was very amusing. However, it failed to hook me, and presented too much in too little time (which is ok for a long, inventive game (this game is quite inventive though I don't know if it's long) but bearing in mind that the judges will play only the 1st hour of the game, dumping so much information at once was for me an odd design choice. I got bored of its slow pace really early, especially because of all the wait time for the 3 other characters (this'd be more fun if you were playing with 3 friends. Also, plus for being one of the only rpg maker games to play multiplayer!) Overall despite the depth and polish it bored me faster than I could get into it. I"m sure if I had been more patient and gotten more of a hang of the system, I'd have had more fun but I can't really invest into that. In a way it reminds me of Unlimited Saga (ps2) for the very same reason. (it isn't alike except for being a board game too, rather it is too in depth and different raising the investment bar REALLY HIGH while itself playing really slowly)
    Anyway. Kudos for the huuuuuuge effort, and I'm eager to see more games by these guys!

Xintana Legends
    [by bgllisp] MIXED
    This one is going to be touchy. I'd call it mixed. It has good graphics, but no introduction to the controls or mechanics, so you have no idea you can double jump or jump off walls until you do it by accident. Sort of wonder if all the votes it's getting are from people who see the graphics and haven't played the game, as once you do play it, it is nice and shiny, and a really, really rough. I'd only recommend if it if you have experience with action platform games, else you are going to rage quit quickly.

[by Vox Novus] MIXED
    (in response to bgllisp's review) Yeah I agree, mind you I don't like platformers and similar games of that nature that much but this game had problems. Within the first 20 seconds (after walking out of the mist in the first stage) for no reason xintana locked up in her death animation (mind you I didn't actually take damage and die) and it was impossible to continue the game. This happened to me 3-times in a row before I could even move past this point and actually experience the actual gameplay parts. Animations have some problems, I took damage in the air one time and it locked up briefly and I was sort of floating around like that for a bit and wall jumping is terrible, it doesn't work properly instead of jumping between walls I had to weirdly jump up the side of the wall and take a crap load of damage from the vines with thorns on the wall along the way.
    This game is pretty, music is good and I liked the voice acting; If this game gets polished up I bet it could be a commercial hit but as it is now it isn't that great. I get making things from scratch in something like unity is a lot harder than rpg maker and kudos to them for doing that but that's not an excuse to have a game that is poorly playing. Maybe they would have been better off using their time making the game less large in scale for the contest and focusing more on polishing up the experience.
    [by TerminusEst13] NOT RECOMMENDED

The first thing you'll notice about Xintana Legends is that it's gorgeous. It's got incredible spritework, lush scenery, majestic music, and everything has been spit and polished to a sheer shine. It's magnificent in every single possible way. The artists on this game were at the top of their game and everything looks professional. Hell, beyond professional, even.

Unfortunately, the second thing you'll notice about Xintana Legends is when you pop in-game and notice that the aforementioned beautiful scenery is kind of a pain to navigate. It's all too easy to get caught on the edges, to collide with something that you never wanted to, and get stuck in a position because of it. You'll either get locked in an animation, or get locked in place in a single specific frame, or more. For as much thought and effort was put into the aesthetic, some of it probably should have been spent on the coding front--the beautiful artwork just simply goes down the tubes when you're trying to do a jump and end up stuck on a walls, or need to do a leap of faith down a chasm, or get stuck in another infinite loop.

For gamers, there's always a constant battle going on between graphics and gameplay, and which is more important. Is a game that looks pretty irrelevant when it handles like a tank lubed up in a bathtub? Or can a well thought out and designed aesthetic help polish up some of the flaws? This game is exemplary of this, as you either love the game because it looks gorgeous, or you hate it because it handles like a Chinese bootleg. Unfortunately, I'm in the latter category. Sorry, guys, I wanted to like it, but I Don't Recommend.
    Zombie Ablockalypse

[by nana7] MIXEDThe graphics and sounds are simple and remind me of early arcade games, in a nostalgic way. On my first play I wasted ammo trying to kill the green ones but it turns out green are ok, only purple ones need to be shot to turn them green. None of them ever die and green can be re-infected easily. One needs to drop mine/blocks to try to keep them quarantined while curing the purple ones and hopefully finding some of the big blocks with stars that can be shot to reveal power-ups. I was not very good and found it frustrating especially when having to find fresh ammo after running out of bullets and mines. But I can see how someone good at it could spend hours playing.

VIDEOS

External reviews (longer reviews and sources)
    Full reviews by shaynec1981

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
    BCj likes this.
  3. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Escalia, made in ace by BCj (RPG)

Beautiful visuals and a great music selection and has very solid rpg mechanics. Certainly worth a play.

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/126#.VcUxcLU_zkc

edit: Only played a couple so far so will come back to this, don't like to recommend games I haven't played first hand.

Xintana legends, blacksword chronicles, yggdrasil: mourning dew, red syndrome and rootbound are among my top to try next though.

BCj likes this.
  4. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I feel bad, cuz right now my list of games (past the two already mentioned) are either do not plays, or are just decent/cute attempts. I'm really hoping to find some more great games, especially since Rootbound set the bar so high.

EDIT: Kass' Inception is cute and not half bad, but it does seem to be a first project on RM. :L

Half-off hero looks interesting, so I'll see if it's any good. :)

MY LIST (so far):

Sounding Sea: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/639#.VcU1T_lViko

Good concept, though a little weak on delivery. Seems to be done with RTP alone.

Wizards of the Pale: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/662#.VcU8qPlViko

A boardgame RPG with local multiplayer, unique style/art, and all done in RPG Maker! Honestly amazing. DID I MENTION YOU HAVE A PET CHICKEN THAT YOU CAN GIVE STATS TO? PLAY THIS.

5. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Free Spirits: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/365

Exorcising ghosts in the big apple in an RPG kinda setting? Battles don't even have your hack and slash, it's all about talking them down! And maybe shooting. Doesn't get much cooler than that.

6. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're in the mood for Sci-Fi, check out Sector 12. It's made in RPGMaker. It is not really an RPG, more of an adventure game.

CyndaBytes likes this.
  7. tearsofthenight

tearsofthenight Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Finding Fantasy :http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/353#.VcU6M_lViko

It has 100% custom resource RPG and looks like a NES game.

The locations and music are nice, it gets sorta hard in the middle but if you use the leveling guide you should do fine.

its 100% finish-able full length RPG.

8. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel pretty bad for 'recommending' my own game, but here it is :p :

ikenie in Action

I'm having troubles getting it up on the forums and RMN due to it having 'no plot' T.T but it's the kind of game it is D:

I wonder if anyone will (and can) make it to the end... definitely let me know!

10. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    Well I suppose we should get the self-promotion out of the way huh? Still working on getting my gamepage up in the forums and around the internet but here's my submission:

Half-Off Hero: The World Needs Savings

I'm downloading other games to try right now to see what's good but right now I like the look of:

Stock Trader Hiyo!

Whether you want to include any of those in your list are up to you since I'm not sure how many of them are forum members.

Edit (I'll just put reviews here I guess?):

Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast.

I'll probably just be editing this post to make it easier to keep track of. I just finished Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast and it was SO good. From the title screen to the cute little credits I really enjoyed the simple nature of the game. You play as an aspiring writer who helps watch a closed bed and breakfast house for an older woman when she ends up ill in the hospital after her son passes. After a few days in the house you start to realize that you're not the only one in the house. The story covers your stay over the course of a week in game-time. You get to grow flowers in the meantime to sell to make money and stop by the grocery store to buy breakfast foods. Trust me, that sounds odd but it's awesome in this game. Everything from the hand-drawn graphics to the sweet narrative really did it for me. The first game I played for IGMC 2015 and I already feel like I have a favorite. You guy should check it out. Highly Recommend.

Baby-making time!

The human race is in danger. Their numbers are dwindling because love is losing its power. So it's up to cupid to save the day! Dang. I really wanted to like this one. The premise of the game had so much potential and the intro was hilarious. The humor was on-point from what I saw of the romantic conversations I was able to unlock. But the bulk of the game was too boring after awhile. Instead of letting us bring people together there's many minor fetch quests that must be performed to move people out of the way. Traveling around a map looking for tiny, new pixels so you can move an NPC out of the way to get to the main game wears thin real quick. It doesn't help matters that you have to manually pull each and every couple to each and every destination one step at a time. The music that plays during the game started to grate on me and I felt myself losing interest and just wanting the game to end. Others might be able to keep with it and complete the game but I had to tap out because the combination of flying aimlessly with a single, grating loop of music playing, all while looking for the next item to move the next NPC so I could finally get to the fun part of the game...was too much. Might try it later. Don't Recommend.

Hollow.

So I guess there's no download link for this one after all? Guess he didn't finish it in time. Oh well, safe to take off the list then. N/A

Resonate ~ call out my angel.

The game itself is very beautiful with great music to accompany the visuals. But...the game is flawed. The story takes place in a girl's dream/coma which is standard fantasy fare but doesn't really seem to go anywhere. The characters become the "best" of friends upon first meeting each other faster than I think I've seen in any JRPG before. Though two out of three of the "best" friends have meltdowns for apparently no reason during their storylines. Monche is easily the best character in this regard since he shoulders the final boss fight all by himself instead of doing any whining (although it's an odd design choice to have this final boss as a gimmicky one-on-one instead of three-on-one but oh well). The dialogue is...not good and feels both cliche and confusing at the same time. The enemies and bosses encountered are hand-drawn and pretty but the battles themselves are either too easy or frustrating to recommend. The customization of equipment was enjoyable although it was mostly rendered useless by the end. I also ran into a few cases of collision detection with ladders and enemies. So, positives: art, music and customization. Cons: Everything else I'm afraid. Don't Recommend.

Rootbound.

I really enjoyed this game! Took some getting used to since I also used the music pack from RPG Maker DS but this game had a lot of charm. The story was lighthearted and the characters were pretty funny. I'm glad it ended the way it did as well. It was hilarious and a welcome change of pace from the usual. The battles and skills worked really well together. The unique way you use gemstones to buy equipment was nice, though could have probably been expanded upon, and I liked how you had a set item amount you could restock at the inn. The maps were very well put together and a great use of the Time Fantasy pack. Ultimately I think this game was better than your entry last year Indrah! Very nicely done. Recommend.

A Stranger Comes To Shore.

I love the art and the exploration aspects of the game. The flashback scenes and (I think) player-created choices to the story were nice. The game is shorter than an hour since it took me about 30 minutes and that was with consistent wandering and wondering what to do next. The puzzles were relatively simple and more intuitive which I enjoyed. Ultimately, I wasn't the biggest fan of the story itself but there's enough here to recommend to anyone looking to play an adventure game with an interesting art style. I'm sure others will appreciate it more than I did. Recommend.

Symbiote.

Take metroid but make it with punches and kicks. I liked this fun platformer! The story was told mostly through crew logs and that's fine by me. The exploration was well done and the player really became a badass by the end of it. The gameplay was fun and the controls were spot-on. I kind of wish there were more bosses since it seemed there was just the one but this game is legit. I got three out of the 5 ancient artifacts or whatever they are but I might go back to find them. I recommend this game for anyone looking for a good platformer in the contest. Recommend.

Oh, and that "Credits" game is a total troll game. Kind of obvious since they didn't encrypt it. Pay the baiters no mind people.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
    Candacis and Geoff Moore like this.
  11. Noodle

Noodle Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Free Spirits has already been mentioned but I wanted to give it another recommendation as it's the first entry I've felt compelled to finish. The battle system (if it can be called that) is a nice change from the usual, the graphics and use of color are lovely, and the characters themselves and what you learn about them are great.

12. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will definitely play the games on this list, keep the good work.

13. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The games listed don't necessarily have to be from people from the forum. I meant that you could: 

A-plug YOUR OWN game 

B-point out a cool looking game that isn't yours

The list doesn't (yet) reflect any quality. If I get around to streaming them I may give them scores or similar but...well. For now use it simply as a spring board to dive into the IGMC entries among the sheer NUMBER there are, especially if you don't like spelunking XD

Actually, let's do this on the long run: if you want to do SMALL review of the game as a recommendation, I'll add them below in a spoiler. You don't have to give them a score or anything if you don't want to, just say why people would like ir or not.

Uh...don't review your own games, that goes without saying XD And please, not too large: 2-3 paragraphs at most? Anything longer doesn't belong here, it belongs on the game's FEEDBACK PAGE, where you should peep for appreciation if you liked it ANYWAY *nudge*

Artificer likes this.
  14. Goldstorm

Goldstorm ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Veteran

First Language:
    English
  15. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ok, removed hollow for now. 

17. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Moonbound here, it's one of the best entries to me (plus the developer is italian, hehehe). It's an adventure\exploration game with puzzles, I guess?

My only issue with it are the tints and the lighting effects (a bit painful sometimes), everything else is pretty good~

Susan and CyndaBytes like this.
  18. CyndaBytes

CyndaBytes Creator and Destroyer of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    I quote this ^ ;)

I would also add:

Oh! I'm gettin' taller! Really cute and funny platformer, with amazing graphics.

Bloody Repression - My own XD (RPG / Strategy)

Dalph likes this.
  19. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Psst, just a note: I'm not omnipotent and all seeing (YET! I'm working on it) so I may miss changes on edited posts. Poke me with a fresh post if there's big changes I don't notice.

EDIT: Added new stuff to the reviews: Make a note somewhere if the you'd RECOMMEND or NOT the game. I'll set it up with the main text to filter quickly through reviews. 

(If you don't I'll make a guess from the text. If I get it wrong do correct me)

20. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Indrah, CyndaBytes and Susan like this.