dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Played a few games. Here we go:

There's Beauty in the Bleeding: A promising art style and story marred by an unneeded battle system and strange dialogue choices. The game is about a mother making a deal with a mysterious entity to save her daughter. Not a common setting but I have to say sometimes the dialogue does not fit the characters. A character that has made nothing but funny, sarcastic comments gets scolded for being serious all the time and the daughter character's dialogue doesn't really fit. The battles are pointless and out of nowhere. Partly because they don't fit the tone of the game and partly because they are so easy. With more work and refinement this game could be something interesting but not in its current form. Don't Recommend.

Invitation to a Dream: A modern girl arrives in a new town and goes on a quest to save a fae from an oppressive forest queen. A standard fantasy type of story where someone works hard to save a mystical character they just met. Not really my scene. For battles it uses the actor duel mini game script made by Galv. I have to be honest, I've never really understood why this script is popular. The controls and collision detection of the system are rather lackluster. But to each their own I guess. Other than the battles and story you solve the occasional riddle using input name (although it doesn't recognize lower-case letters at the beginning of the word for some reason). Overall, kind of your average RPG Maker game. Some people might like it. Don't Recommend.

Growing Pains: This game is a first project and it kind of shows. You control Thumbelina (or at least I did) and go on a quest to wake your mom up from a sleep. The game itself is mainly a grind-fest. You level yourself up to unlock one skill and then go outside to level yourself up again and unlock another. Then that's it. The battles never become more complicated then simply exchanging blows after using Growing Pains to weaken enemies. It's a simple project people can check out if they want. Don't Recommend.

Salim: An interesting adventure game with a fun cardboard visual style. It's your standard adventure game (use everything on everything until solved) but with a setting all its own. It's interesting to see a Middle-Eastern developer's setting and experiences in a game. The humor isn't the best but is enough to give the experience its own feel. It gets rather preachy at points but it's an important topic to discuss so I didn't mind too much. Recommend.

Grist of Flies: Post-apocalyptic squad-based dungeon (room?) crawler. The game is short but excellent. Battles are interesting and full of different skills based on the squad's make-up. I really liked this as it opens up a lot of different options to keep battles fresh and all your own. The story isn't really fleshed out much but given the time-frame understandable. You get more characters for your squads as the game progresses and you find new survivors. There's a lot that could be expanded on but what's here is great. Recommend.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just tried Company of Vikings. Don't recommend.

While the game looks very polished, I feel like it hasn't been playtested properly. The game recommends you to play with a controller so I grabbed my Xbox controller and started the game. You start off as a warrior and soon recruit other classes (archers/bersekers etcetera). The archer's aim however, is horribly off and you'll likely miss more than you hit, enemies hit like a truck (I had 6 npcs at one point and my main character dropped like a fly to 2 enemies as did the rest), traps insta-kill you and there are no hp items, there's no hp recovery on level up, nothing. I was basically forced to put my points either in hp or in attack in a failed attempt to stay alive longer. Tried it for like 20 minutes and then quit, simply not do-able..

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:3

Notebook - To the Underworld and Back Again

Mixed

The idea itself is not bad, but it seems as if it were not very  well conceived.
The motives of the characters are very plain and you never grow a real relationship to any of them.

The optical quality is... okay. Very simple, but sometimes just illogical.
It would have done the game a favor, if the author spent more time considering which tiles would really match the situations.

Though the thing with the notebook world is a great idea.
The writing is okay too and the music fits most of the time.

So, I really don't know, if should recommend this or not.
It's not bad, but not very remarkable either....
Contin∞m

Recommended

Though you have to walk a lot, this game is quite intersting.
Short, but nice. The graphics is some sort of papercut fugures and is very nicely done.
Only the background sound got a bit annoying after some time.
But I liked the game.

jtrev23

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can see I'm extremely late to this, and thanks @Nana7 for adding my game Transcendence to the list. There is a bugs fixed version in description and I am still updating it and the next version will include volume control.

But enough about me....

SUBVIRTIGO- Shooter category,  I RECOMMEND it my review has more of a MIXED tone but i've played this game again and again just when I was bored and didn't feel like playing other games. This is my review below.

Subvirtigo is a really nice action packed shooter, I had some free time on my hand so I decided to play it. Normally I try to just do review for review but because you didn't ask for a review from me you don't need to review my game Transcendence in return although I would enjoy the gesture.
-INITIAL THOUGHTS-
WHERE AM I????? Seriously the graphics are nice but are you a virus in the human system, in an acid induced dream, or some sort of weird combination of both. I like how this shooter feels original VS how other shooters I've played in IGMC have been Galaga remakes. Although the controls are a bit weird, once you get used to them (A and D you never get used to) the game is thoroughly enjoyable. Also while I normally dislike fixed screen games, I like being able to change screen size although I hadn't realized that until after I had beaten casual mode. Also I'd like to add I loved the final boss and coding wise that had to have been a lot of work.
-PRESENTATION-
Visually speaking, all the graphics are really amazing and well used together. Atmospherically speaking, the music and the graphics put together makes me think this is straight from the developer's minds after taking some questionable substances at a rave. The music is actually really good but the EDM really gives it a club vibe. Not to mention the glowing background which took me a few levels to realize was 1 small room which wrapped the screen. The wrap is really fluid and a nice touch/adds the the mental complexity of the game. Also DID I JUST FIGHT A FREAKING ICE CREAM DRAGON AND NOT GET ANY ICE CREAM AFTERWARD?
Don't know if it was a bug, ir just casual but you talk about seizing the power and after the battle gets no new weapon. But back to presentation.....
Overall, the concept may be weird but it works and the graphical elements of the game are very polished.
-ENGAGEMENT/GAMEPLAY-
While this is primarily a shooter game, I love that there is an actual story behind it to help keep you engaged. Sure the action and the enemies will help engage you through direct confrontation and your will to survive but too many shooter games leave it at the action alone and leave out the story. As for gameplay, the controls may be weird but the different types of enemies, each with different attack patterns really adds to the gameplay and makes it a lot of fun. 
-TWIST-
Two types of growth used, the growth of yourself mentally and physically. Mental growth is through the story and physical growth is from gameplay, (in the for of weapon addition) while I implemented my growth system differently in my game i like the similarity of not just focusing on one type of growth thoughts the game.
-BUGS/GLITCHES-
Only not getting anything from Ice Cream Dragon, and I'm not sure you can fix this but sometimes on final boss when he strides left or right and he already shot a weapon, that weapon will stride with him.
-OVERALL-
An awesome action packed drug induced shooter game that get my vote and is now my personal favorite to win the shooter category.
TALES ACROSS TIME- RPG category,  MIXED, it has a few bugs but definitely worth trying out.

-INITIAL THOUGHTS-
I like the idea how everything is different than the "traditional" style of RPG Maker games and was one of the reasons I wanted to check this game out. The battle system is really thought out and each of the characters really do feel different although there are some similarities. My only real downside is that Claire's story is so short with and only with 1 battle it's nearly irrelevant except for the mask. All in all a nice game but I did find a few bugs that I'll note later.
-PRESENTATION-
The art style of the game is really different from most of the RPG Maker games and realm helps it stand out, especially with the custom font. The music and sound effects really work together and helps the player to really get into the game. Also the story is realm interesting, capturing these little moments in time and linking them with the evil is very intriguing and well written.
-ENGAGEMENT/GAMEPLAY-
The stories of the characters really do keep you engaged and wondering what's going to happen next. As for the gameplay, the different attack options forces the player to really think about their actions and while I personally like enemy health bars for some games I think the lack of them realm do force the player to not make any hasty decisions. Also I like the unique skills for the different characters but again Claire's battle was a little pointless in my opinion.
-BUGS/GLITCHES-
1)If swordsman health drops to 0 the turn you get 30 AP, you can unleash power and go through rest of the game with "defeated" at the top of the screen.
2)Similarly if Caitlyn's health drops to 0 while she has increased power I restarts battle but screen is frozen.
3)Also (don't know what caused this one) but once after I died with Caitlyn the battle continues on and my health and AP jumped to starting ones and I could proceed to battle as the words were being repeated between the masked man and Caitlyn. 
4)Not necessarily a bug but I'd fix the AI the be a little less random, I went through one battle when mask only used poison touch and other battles when he didn't use it at all.
-OVERALL-
Nice game and a lot achieved in one month. Needs a bit more polishing but it's coming along great. I'd add more fighting or someone vital to Claire' storyline but the rest is really nice, great job.
REBELS OF COSMOS RPG category, DON'T RECOMMEND, I would actually recommend this if the game was advertised as a Virtual Novel made in RPG Maker, since it isn't and the game was trying to be an rpg is what caused me to say I don't recommend it.

Ok before I start, I would just like to mention it took over an hour to download so I was excited to play it in the end I was left disappointed. This game had so much potential and I would be happy to play it again if it was made to be fully complete. Personally, I think I would have been way more excited with the finished product If it were a visual novel, and thats the feeling a got from this game. 

-INITIAL THOUGHTS-
The storyline is very intriguing and while many parts of the story is very convenient, it didn't really take me out of the game. What took me out of the game was these huge spaces with nothing to do in them and the very little battle elements. It seems like lots of time was spent building and polishing each and every area visually but had very little to do with player interaction. Each person's home is very spacious and have people in them but there is nothing valuable in the homes and only one person I talked to who wasn't part of the main storyline had something decent to say. (Girl who mentions the guard). If they had player tips, or interesting facts that contributed to the story I could understand their importance but it seemed like it was all a waste. As for gameplay, it seemed like the battle system was thrown in as an aftereffect. The difficulty of the enemies is fair, but SPOILER:
there are only two areas in which you actually fight enemies and only 1 "boss battle" which is the tutorial battle.

With all the cut scenes and times you are confronted with one of the armada's guards you could have thrown some more battles in.
Now please don't take this as an attack, but I like to reiterate that as I stands now, the game is basically a visual novel made in RPG maker. I really do like the story but it just seems like so much time went into design that could have went into the battle system of you were going for an RPG game.

-PRESENTATION-
The tiling and detail is phenomenal and everything is fully detailed. While I don't agree with the music in the beginning introduction, the rest of the music flows well with the game. As for the story, again phenomenal. It keeps the player engaged and guessing what's going to happen at every step. Although some things were rather a little too convenient for my taste, everything flows well and makes sense.
-ENGAGEMENT-
All I can say is that the story is the driving factor of engagement, but lack of depth actually starts to disengage the player from the game.
-GROWTH-
R.O.C chooses to go the emotional growth route which I personally like sense I've played so many games that revolved around growing plants. The growth is consistent and helps mature the player over time which is an added plus for me.
-BUGS/GLITCHES-
Didn't really find any bugs during my play though but in the armada stronghold 2 you can walk off the path and walk on space.
-OVERALL-
Brilliant presentation but lacks depth for the amount of visual detail put into it. Definitely would work better as a visual novel and any future players who play the game, play it as if you are playing a visual novel, the storyline if anything, will keep you engaged until the end.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So Seems like this has been slowing down a little so I present to you Vox's List of recommends! I was originally trying to bring up games that weren't mentioned yet but I give up on that, apparently I can't out pace everyone else on the forums playing IGMC games (not yet anyway... [ :mrsatan: ] ) A list of don't recommends will be supplied later (so stay tuned-folks!)

Recommends:

Blacksword Chronicles: RPG http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/258#.Vdz3PH0_zkc

Ah, what can I say about this game; there is a bunch of stuff I didn't like actually. Cluttered mapping, passability issues, story that leaves you hanging a little bit, not much use of the theme and a mostly silent protagonist that has little emotion and just seems to go wherever people drag him without any volition of his own. So Vox, Good buddy ol' pal why recommend this? This game is extremely fun to play, it does something I've never quite seen before in an rpg maker battle system and it makes you think constantly during the battles (assuming you don't cheat like Indrah [ :rwink: ] ). I should also mention the music and sound effects used are fantastic. Check this one out and you'll be surprised for sure.
Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast: Adventure http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/413#.Vdz6Bn0_zkc

This game is polished to a fine shine already, this game looks like it is ready to be sold as is for the most part. Artwork is wholly unique for the entire game and the sounds/music are great. Dialogue is also well written and each character has their own distinct personality. The game uses the theme decently enough, certainly more so than some entries. Exploration and finding your own way through the game is encouraged as there are recipes to find, new characters to meet and it is up to the player to shape their ending in the game through their actions. Anything left to fix or expand upon in this game is minor at best.
Crystal Garden: Puzzle http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/708#.Vdz-X30_zkc

I wonder if I'm the only whose played this because the page for it is almost dead but whats there is actually worth checking out. This is a unique puzzle game where you have to grow crystals in a garden and harvest them to reach a certain amount. Harvest too soon and you'll break them too late and they will eventually split to new crystal seeds. The game eventually expands on this by making you mix crystal colors to make new colors you couldn't get otherwise. Game played well and I didn't find any bugs in my time with it, use of the theme goes without saying here. Music could admittedly be more prevalent though. Definitely worth checking out if you like these types of games.
Escalia: RPG (Note this is my official reccomendation for this game, I did mention it earlier when the thread first started and the system wasn't in place. http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/126#.Vdz73X0_zkc

Over all this is a solid entry in my opinion and it goes without saying that the game looks good and sounds good. Portraits look nice and each of the characters have a unique look. Battle animations are lovely as well and there is even custom menus and a battle hud. Okay, yeah this game is a pretty game. It's not only a pretty game though for the most part battles offer a lot to see as well, no balance issues in normal encounters and there is a fair amount of strategy to use. The game does suffer from some mechanical design flaws in areas particularly with the final boss fight and its story and characters could be improved upon and use of the theme was a little weak but over all I had fun playing in the end and enjoyed it.
Rootbound: RPG http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/530#.Vd0ASH0_zkc

Whoever made this game must be sick, seriously what kind of person could come up with this stuff...Oh wait yeah this is Indrah's game! Joking aside (sorry, Indrah [ ;) ] ) this game is defintely an rpg worth checking out if you like games that don't take themselves too seriously. Game is signature Indrah, well written and funny, filled with charm but not just that the game is well balanced and there is plenty of loot to find or buy to equip your characters with. Since this is Indrah mapping is also incredibly solid and she makes use of the Time Fantasy pack well. Music and sounds are well selected and placed. Only complaint I really had about my experience with the game is a lack of visual cohesiveness between battler art style and the rest of the game.
Stock Trader-Hiyo: Strategy http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/130#.Vd0Co30_zkc

Long story short this game is out of the contest now for reasons I won't go into here because that's not what this thread is for, it is for games that are truly worth checking out that were made during a very slim deadline though. Right off the bat one of the best things about this game is its unique take on the theme in having to achieve the maximum amount of financial growth by buying and re-selling stocks. The player has to use gathered information to manipulate stock prices in their favor and take out loans when necessary to boost finances to buy in mass quantities. Artwork, dialogue and music lean to the cutesy side but all work well together if its something that doesn't initially turn the player away. Also multiple endings even! and found no bugs or glitches while playing. This game might not be winning anything anymore but that's no reason to rob yourself the experience of playing it.
Un-offiicial recommends for Demo's: So these are demo's essentially that aren't complete contest entries and so while I'm not recommending them for the main topic for that reason I'm still saying to give them a try for one reason or another.

Once upon a Beanstalk: RPG http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/646#.Vd0Fon0_zkc

The second best entry relating to Jack and the Beanstalk in the competition! (*coughs*) Joking aside again, this is a lovely little game from the team/maker behind last years Goats on a Bridge. The music is beautiful in this game especially the title song, the sound effects match it as well. Artwork is also especially lovely and deep thought was put into it to make the whole experience look like it takes place in a book whose pages are turning. Combat seems simple but is actually quite involved as the player can choose different skills that each have their own branching skills in turn, skills also can't be spammed otherwise they will miss eventually and skills even change with weapons. This game is great for loot collectors as there is plenty to search and find.
Melting Moon: Adventure http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/178#.Vd0HrX0_zkc

This game is beautiful, enough said really, artwork is extremely detailed and sprites and maps are all custom done. The story revealed so far is intriguing and makes you want to know more. Didn't encounter a single error and finished my experience left wanting more. Seriously the only complaint I had with this game is that it wasn't complete and was only a roughly 20 minute demo. Still worth checking out for something highly interesting to see.

tlst9999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sup. Here's a really underrated game with a mere 3 votes.

Time Buddy (Recommend) http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/383

A really fun time puzzle game. Worth playing if you have a few minutes to spare. You'll get hooked after the first 2-3 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

nana7

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Englilsh
Primarily Uses
RPG

Half-Off Hero

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/449

Recommend

I loved this game. The custom art and changing face expressions are a nice touch. The shop is pretty fun once I figured out the simplest strategy is sell only what a customer loves, rather than trying to sell similar items they like. Selling what they like makes it easier to sell to more customers but selling what they love means more money even with fewer customers. I only sold magic items to the 3 magic users and made a fortune. The Golden Touch relic doubles shop earnings if equipped but is very rare (I guess 2% or less chance of bauble becoming one).

Once you have enough money for the best gear and plenty of spells then the fights are fairly easy to win, especially after visiting Coasttown. The exception to that is the dragon and the God King, and I advise fighting the God King before the time runs out because he is much tougher after the time runs out. The story was entertaining and the music fit well.

Kaemalux

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I don't know if it is right to make such a post here... But in this community IGMC games have a bit more visibility. So, i simply would like to present my game, just to have some impressions/feedbacks.

My entry is "Peter and the Mysterious Mud", it is a simple 2D fantasy game with a short story and a basic graphic. It is made in Unity (i don't know if it is a problem but in that case i regret posting...), my RPGM knowledge is basic, and in one month i hadn't the possibility to improve it...

Here is my entry:

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/114#.VeOEYMRoarV

I am not asking for votes or shares, just some opinions: i had just some basic impressions but i would really appreciate a review (even if negative, it was my first completed project and i have only to learn from it!)

Thanks to everyone,

Kaem

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
And another one :3

Mirai

Mixed

Its's beautyful to look at and the music and sounds are great.
Also the writing has something interesting to it.

But you can hardly call it a game.... All you can do, is walk around and press e.
You aren't even allowed to jump by yourself. though there are jumping passages. o_O
That's not a completely bad thing, but theres isn't anything else to do. So it would have been nice.

Anyway. This isn't a bad game, if you like stuff like this :3
Copy

Mixed

Well.... I don't know exactly what this is.

You just walk around and talk to mirrors. Then you take your reflection and go to the next room.

Often you don't know, where to go or what to do...

It's really strange, but could be a good concept, if explained better....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paitshens