[IGMC 2015] Recommended games list

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Well, we're often tempted to do negative things, right? xD

At any rate, as soon as I catch up with my work I am, in fact, going to write some reviews. I'm not gonna score them though. xD

Anyway feel free to ignore me, expressing myself coherently is the last of my abilities. xD

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, we're often tempted to do negative things, right? xD

At any rate, as soon as I catch up with my work I am, in fact, going to write some reviews. I'm not gonna score them though. xD

Anyway feel free to ignore me, expressing myself coherently is the last of my abilities. xD
Nope, I think it's a valid point, but I also think that an important part of people's choice type awards is advertising your game. One 'not recommended' on one thread on one website hardly cuts out an entire audience - this month onward for the creators of that game should be them building up their own hype and reason to bring people to their game. If I came on here and say "not recommended" next to my own game that I truly felt was a good game, better darn well believe I'd be trying my hardest to overcome that stigma and try to bring in an audience from somewhere else.

Have fun with your own reviews :)

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Xintana Legends: This one is going to be touchy. I'd call it mixed. It has good graphics, but no introduction to the controls or mechanics, so you have no idea you can double jump or jump off walls until you do it by accident. Sort of wonder if all the votes it's getting are from people who see the graphics and haven't played the game, as once you do play it, it is nice and shiny, and a really, really rough. I'd only recommend if it if you have experience with action platform games, else you are going to rage quit quickly.
Yeah I agree, mind you I don't like platformers and similar games of that nature that much but this game had problems. Within the first 20 seconds (after walking out of the mist in the first stage) for no reason xintana locked up in her death animation (mind you I didn't actually take damage and die) and it was impossible to continue the game. This happened to me 3-times in a row before I could even move past this point and actually experience the actual gameplay parts. Animations have some problems, I took damage in the air one time and it locked up briefly and I was sort of floating around like that for a bit and wall jumping is terrible, it doesn't work properly instead of jumping between walls I had to weirdly jump up the side of the wall and take a crap load of damage from the vines with thorns on the wall along the way.

This game is pretty, music is good and I liked the voice acting; If this game gets polished up I bet it could be a commercial hit but as it is now it isn't that great. I get making things from scratch in something like unity is a lot harder than rpg maker and kudos to them for doing that but that's not an excuse to have a game that is poorly playing. Maybe they would have been better off using their time making the game less large in scale for the contest and focusing more on polishing up the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About the recommendation system:

You know what the rpoblem with that is? No one will browse through the intial list if its LOADED with a bazillion tags. As it is, it's already busy looking. ALso, it's already a lot of work to keep track and update without messing all of this up, and quite frankly I'm not ready to devote all my time to uploading a single silly list (exagerating, but you get the point).

Next update I'll go backto listing the games as is isntead of filtered through the initial YES/NO (tho I still feel an instant list helps players as a whole because lots of stuff to work through), and add the "MIXED" tag for those that dont want to stick to a recoment/avoid. I will still keep the Yes/mix/tag next to the first list, however, because I think it's the best way. If you don't agree with a recommend, simply submit your own so it becomes Mixed instead of Not recommended.

Will update later tonight since there's quite a bunch of updates and I want to get some livestreaming done first. 

@bgllisp: I certainly look forward to seeing the reaction to my video. Challenge! XD

GOnna start streaming in ten min or so if anyone's interested. Will try to tackle Escalia and A Stranger Comes to Shore (and prob one or two more, we'll see). http://www.twitch.tv/indrah

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Indrah: That is so true! Plus, it would turn into like running a review site, so I understand.

Might have to bop over to see your take on these, though I don't want Escalida spoiled for me so I may wait an hour or two. I've already played ASCTS so it would be interesting to get another take on it.

Ylzor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
GOnna start streaming in ten min or so if anyone's interested. Will try to tackle Escalia and A Stranger Comes to Shore (and prob one or two more, we'll see). http://www.twitch.tv/indrah
Let me know when the VOD's up please, I tried watching it live but my internet's terrible, it doesn't keep up... :stare:

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Review for Growing Pains:

Not recommended - but has potential to be better
The game play, unfortunately, is a bit lacking and could be better but it's actually not as horrible as it could have been. It has the usual downfall of many RPGs of being a bit too reliant on battle grinding and for the first few fights all you have is attack. It does get rather boring after awhile due to using Ace's default EXP scheme, but I think that's actually for balance reasons here rather than due to dev laziness. (Well, also due to the contest setup, but at least not just laziness)

My only other concern is one of the skills you get (which is named the same as the game title) is fairly overpowered, but since you don't really fight anything that strong in this it just really makes the game feel a bit more grindy due to spamming that before using attack (and I'm not going to say exactly what it does due to believing that games need to be experienced rather than simply talked about, though I do like how the main skills are tied into the story rather than just simply there when you level. It make them feel important and ties the mechanics and story together a bit better)

From an aesthetics perspective, the RTP actually works a lot in the game's favor; the light colors fit very well with the game's theme.There was a point where the battle music got a bit annoying, but that's no fault of the game dev (it happens even with the best RPGs, unfortunately) I will say that it might have looked better if the busts used for Tom Thumb and Thumbelina were cropped down to the proper faceset size first rather than simply resized down (they looked a bit awkward) though that might be just a personal thing (they are supposed to be “smaller” than everyone, after all)

(full review is in a comment on the game's page)

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Hey Indrah! If you get around to playing Half-Off Hero at any point I uploaded a new version. There was a rather nasty bug in the original build some players were experiencing that should be fixed with the newer download.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just played Afromeda! A short but solid shooter game by DISCOMAN: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/748#.Vcp8m_lVhBc

I recommend it. Doesn't take long to play, but it's an entertaining few minutes. (even if the bosses are a bit lackluster and easy.) It's got Scythuz music~~ So you know you want to spend a few minutes with it, right?

Video in spoiler:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I played Wolf40, I'm going to say not recommended, unless you want to play a game where the difficulty is in the waves coming from behind to one hit KO you.

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Some "reviews" :3

Resonate ~call out my angel~

Recommend
The visual part of this game is very nice. As far as I know everything is handmade, what deserves my respect. (especially in this short time)
The battle system is fun and also nice to look at. The story is nothing special, but well told and staged.
Though... the last bossfight is quite chewy... and the BS itself could be a bit faster. The shortness of the story makes it a bit strange and hard
to believe that they become friends this far. But considering the short development time I think it came out very well.
It's not the best game, but I had fun with it.

Rootbound
Not recommended
First, the visual part of this games is great. I really like the style and everything is very well put together.
The battles are a bit beyond easy (You never really have to take care about your health ).
But, what really turned me off, was the huuuuuge amount of text in this game. I like reading and do it a lot.
But especially dialogues shouldn't be cluttered with unnecessary and unimportant stuff.
There seems to be not a single dialogue that doesn't let you think: "Come on! Let me continue playing!"
The first 20~ minutes of this game are dialogue. Then you play 5 minutes to get to another few minutes of dialogue.
That's just too much of it. And therefore to less gameplay :/

Oh! I'm Getting Taller!
Recommend
The game has nice visuals and a nice idea. There isn't much to do, but though it's fun to see how everything is changing
and what happens next. Also the technical part is well made. I noticed just a few bugs with the animation states but that
doesn't affect the game itself.
The only thing I didn't like was that you have to walk veeeeery much. To here. to there and back again and there again.....
But beside this it is a good game.
ashugh - աշուղ
Not recommended

The idea behind this game is nice. It's also nice to look at and the music is great.

But the technique doesn't really seem to work. The tree just grow and grows and grows and then.. game over.

No matter what you do....

Maybe it is fun, if it works... but at the moment it doesn't :/

shaynec1981

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Will do. I've been keeping my eye on that one since it was put up.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Thanks for the review @LucyFox!

Now, I've noticed one thing people cited twice in Resonate reviews, and I want to address it on a very spoilery note~

about them becoming friends too fast... They're actually not people but manifestations of aspects of the person in the intro/outro, the real protagonist. That's why they become friends so fast, because they are one, as spoken by Bell at the end of the second dungeon. So they don't really "become friends", they've always been there in a way or another. But... My writing is not the best so I didn't managed to get that across LOL ;A;
But really, there's a lot in that game open to interpretation if you will. Like, a lot. And most of the things I made there have secondary and even tertiary meanings xD

I've let's played a game that's not on this list. (Rise of Ancalen, a strategy RPG) I'm gonna try to let's play some that are! Do you have any you wanna recommend recording first? I'm really looking forward to playing Jayce and Stacy Ruin the IGMC for EVERYONE! as that sounds like a reeeeeally cute game and the characters got me total hooked from the thread itself, I can't wait to play it. But if you want me to do yours tell me! ^-^

I think I might open up a let's play thread instead of saying this here, but I'm afraid I'm gonna drown in requests as everybody is always so eager for reviews and let's plays hahaha (including myself >_> )

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@tlst999 Sorry but I refuse to trasnscribe stuff from images myself, keeping up the list and doing my own streams and reviews is ENOUGH XD Please transcribe the text and pass it if you want to use it.

@Maki: I set ghost shard to "mixed" since I wasn't so sure if to set it as a yes/no. I also set Blacksword as mixed (tell if you want it different) 

@Vox Novus: I set your notes of Moonbound as "no". If you want me to change them to mixed or similar poke me.

@bgllisp: I set Wolf40 as Avoid, if you want me to put it somwhere else do tell.

@shaynec1981 JESUS. It's great that you have reviews done, but I don't think I can fit them all in here XD I'll link the entire site at the bottom, tell me if you can think of a different arrangeemtn (anythign longer than a brief 3 paragraph log is too long for a brief checklist like this, tho great work on the reviews! (check mine out while I'm here, it's Rootbound)

@josepth seraph unless you give me a link to the actual vids or a review I can't do much about your coment on the jayce/stacy and Rise of Anaclen XD (if that's what you wanted)

OKAY; SO! I've updated all the current list, tho I would not be surprised if I missed something.
There was a LOT of fiddling around, so check if I have your review in the correct place/score and all that.

I've also added the MIXED tag, which is basically a neutral score if you don't want to say a yes/no. If anyone wants to change a previous review to MIXED just send the word.

I've set the Main list tags of Rec/no to go into effect only when there are 2 reviews or more. If that is not enough for you guys, YOU come up with a system because SHEESH I DUNNO XD I'm open to suggestions but be realistic (I'm not gonna spend hours every day at this, It's already been too long...)

And guess what! I havent even had time to add my own vids and reviews! OTL

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Indrah I never said anything about moonbound; haven't played it. Also I recommended Red Syndrome.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah dern. You wrote an entire section breakdown so I assumed. Kk will remove it.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The only games I've recommended/ not recommended are Red Syndrome(recommend) and then crystal fate (not recommend) respectively. If someone mentioned moonbound it wasn't me at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:
I'm a bit late, but Happy New Year to everyone! And to all of those who have an Asian heritage that celebrates the New Year, I wish you all get many fat red envelopes hehehe~
Pretend you were telling, reading, or listening to a very serious, slightly scary story about witches. Would a witch doing the stereotypical flying on a broomstick thing ruin the mood?
Yeseylon wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
All Hail Storm Crow, the Blue Eyes White Dragon of MtG!
I love these real life Oblivion videos:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eriedev