[IGMC 2015] Recommended games list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Indrah, Aug 8, 2015.

1. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Oh! The rise of ancalen vid is here ;w;

Since it's not listed there i didn't know if i should put it up um uh but yeap here it is

It's a rather sloooooooooooow game with big, drawn out maps, but since the game crashed before I went too far I don't know if my suspection of the game getting better after the intro (which is often the case) holds true.

I'm going to play Pandora's Box and post up the vid too! Likely making my own thread. The premise seems interesting enough to catch my attention, too, looks fun~

But yeah idk i'm not very used to socially interacting. LOL

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd move wolf40 to mixed. I had a talk with the developer, and the keyboard issue is a bug in unity, and they only intended for it to be mouse controls. I don't like mouse controls myself, so hence the mixed.

3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First three of mine (this is taking so loong)

A Hole in the Martian Sky

Played 30 minutes, could not be assed to continue.-Visuals and general presentation are poor (personally I don't like the tile style at all, but even beyodn that the mapping is very bare and empty, with passability issues).

-Characters do not have any distinct persionalities, the story was told in passing like a hit and run, and overall I have no idea of what I'm doign or why I should care. Writing overall is mediocre with a lot of punctuation, grammar, and typo mistakes.

-Eventing and overall progression is very shaky and feels like the developer is a newbie or very inexperienced.

-It does not feel like the future AT.ALL. I understand it's partiaclly a resource/style choice but it's just awkward.

-Plot progression is very awkward and feels very incomplete (suddenly we're with a man! Suddenly we're in a tunnel! Suddenly fireworks! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

-Can't talk about the gameplay because I was simply not invested at all. It didn't crash, I guess?

-Did not see any "growth" theme, but I stopped early so who knows if it's there later.

Overall it feels like a mediocre, early shaky attempt game. I could not find any specific aspect to latch on to continue through the game (but I'm a jaded old woman who's very demanding of games, so there's that. )

Don't recommend the game. The overall impression is shoddy.
    Symbiote

Let me start by saying I'm neither good nor a fan of platformers, so that colors my opinion a lot.+Neat visuals, presentation is not the shiniest, more bling thing ever, but does its job very well.

+Sound design was solid and I found no issues with it.

-Controls felt kind of floaty and slippery, especially the jumping. I plain quit when I could not manage to climb up a tunnel by walljumping. I tried. No way.

-The intro had a very weird huge amoutn of (admittedly optional) exposition. I'm no expect, but I don't think people who play platformers want 15 recordings before the first enemy.

-Improtant upgrade textboxes disappear even when brushing slighly against the movement buttons, meaning you skip most of the useful text by accident.

If you like plataformers, maybe give this a chance. If you don't, this game won't change your opinion. Mixed
    Moonbound:

Overall, the game was disappointing, precisely because it could have been SO good. But it wasn't.First off, there's a lot of very cool and neat design choices and attention to detail. The sprite movement is well done and dynamic, the sound design for the voices is adorable. The mapping was decent with some neat layouts, even though it was overcluttered at times and too saturated with tints and filters.

However, where this game failed entirely is to remember to GRAB my attention and engage me. We know absolutely nothing about the characters in the game, which is a real pity because you had a LITTLE GIRL and DOG, which by itself could have been an adorable and very likeable combo, but they never interact past a “come on boy, let's go”. There was so much potential FOR MORE that never came to be.

We have no real reason to care about the character's goal, we know nothing of the world, the backstory, and the characters have no real personality. Even when (SPOILER!) some of them die, I could not really give much of a dayum, because I never go to really KNOW or CARE for them.

Another big problem is that the game quickly lost its charm and became tedious. Sure, the puzzles change slightly, but they were still not that engaging and the controls' dodgy nature got in the way sometimes. Overall the game (in its current state where it has no character engagement) could have been better served being much shorter and relying on it's cute start when we're still not sick of the same things.

The puzzles themselves were decent but nothing special. If they had been filler time BETWEEN strong scenes, they would have served well, but as it was it was just “go from this puzzle to this puzzle”, and they're certainly not good enough to hold the game on their own.

The ending “puzzle” also came out of nowhere and was a rather jarring switch. Gameplay-wise it was near broken (I don't think anything was damaging me at all) and quite tedious, but I appreciate the effort to try something different. It just didn't work very well and felt rushed.

The ending was honestly a bit of a slap on the face. It ends abruptly and felt extremely unfulfilling, but I assume completing the collection of the hidden items changes it somwhat (still not a good way to reward me for one and half hour of effort).

If I seem bitter it's because this had such a big and obvious effort and polish in it, yet faltered in critical areas. Adventure games rely both on the puzzles AND the story/characters, as they're the only engagement points. Polish on detail is not going to hold them up.

I know some people liked this game. I'm not going to say it's not enjoyable, but personally I found it lacking and would not say it's a recommended play (but neither will I say you should avoid it). MIXED

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
    JosephSeraph likes this.
  4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for adding my stuff! Mixed works well for both of those games. I'll probably use mixed a lot...

and sorry to anyone who watches my obviously inexperienced let's play videos xD

JosephSeraph likes this.
  5. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A stranger comes to shore

Let me get this out of the way:
    THE WORLD MAP SUCKS AND SHOULD BE RIPPED OR HEAVILY MODIFIED. It destroyed any mood the game could have by making me stop dead in my tracks after every scene. Bad game, bad.

With that out of the way, this game is...peculiar. And I'm pretty sure I “didn't get it”. As far as I can understand this is all about making of the game whatever you want and building your own version of the story, since it has little exposition and clarification of it's own.

But...I'm not a deep person. I have no shame in admitting that. I am not good at extracting my own meaning from vague stuff like this, so this game went largely over my head and I had no idea what was going on or what the game was trying to say or make me think.

Try this game by yourself and you may like it. BUT! If you're not the type who wants or likes to take your own view on a game, this is not for you. MIXED

Escalia

Overall disappointing. Has some nice presentation but no real core content. Plot is bland and aimless, has long intro cutscene that has nothing to do with the main game, ending is a joke that amounts to nothing. Gameplay fine but resource costs were very stingy, most sidequests were missable and had to be done before even gettigg the third party member, and overall there were shoddy design choices (sometimes items shine, sometimes they don't. Just pick one and stick to it!).The last boss is an exercise in patience and anger management unless you fight most combat and do the sidequests (which I did not). It took me THIRTY MINUTES (not joking) to defeat the last boss by spamming the exact same action (boss never changed its tactics) only to see a very disappointing ending.

Overall, it feels like more time was spent on minor polish in the menu and visuals than the core of a rpg (gameplay and story). And I'm sorry, but I'd rather play an game with an interesting story or gameplay with the default menus than a game with pimped out menus and very bland and pointless content. And the last battle was a disaster that made me angry.

Don't recommend this. 
    BABY MAKING TIME

It's meh. You have to pair up couples by making them meet in specific places and navigating a complicated map. You spend 10 minutes just TAKING IN the cluttered mess that is the map to try and bring two people together. There are also a lot of ways to mess up (especially with the foot items to feed the dogs, msot of which do absolutely nothing).Once you've had a couple fall I love, you've seen everything. Even between characters there is not much dialog and certainly nothing worth spending much time on. Characters are not compelling and there is absolutely no plot. The ending does not exist, it's just someone saying “good job, try again next time”.

I don't recommend this, but I won't tell people to stay AWAY either. It's just there, not particularly good. Mixed.
    Updated. Cross fingers real hard I didn't mess up or forget anything =_=

(glooom. My notes were way too long for here, I had to summarized. What do I do with this crap now...

*eyes game development topics*

6. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm sorry that you feel that way. There was a link between the intro and the rest of the game but I've left it implicit on purpose and it's hinted at in the ending. Ah well can't please everyone :)

7. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whether or not you agree with her opinion, I think there are two very important things to take away from the video.

1. Consistency for your player. (I'm referring to the some lootable items being sparkles and some not. That's unfair for a player - since you trained them earlier that lootable items will be marked.)

2. If you are giving the player the option to skip battles, then you need to account for those players in your difficulty. Again, this is unfair to a player.

Whether or not the story, characters , etc were good, bad, or bland is largely subjective, but these two points are something that there is little room for debate or opinion about. So I would pay attention to those two details even if the rest of her comments are written off as not being able to please everyone.

8. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the review, it is my first game, and it is a bit shoddy. My writing is bad, couldn't agree more, though most of the story is after the final boss, which would I think clear up some of your problems (On setting and plot), but I can't hold it against you if you didn't feel invested enough to continue. I didn't have time to finish the fireworks scene, so...yeah, I was hoping people would get the gist, but it's not done.

Edit: I actually posted this...ended up being a private message with a lot more...Oh well, no point in deleting.

Indrah likes this.
  9. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    I played two more games, Pandora's Box and Homeless, that I found interesting when I first saw them. Here are my thoughts:

Pandora's Box: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/4#.VdAEAPlVhBc

Good atmosphere and initial mystery that is soured later by a terrible battle system and average writing and twists. The game starts good enough, setting up the mystery of the box and its mysterious arrival in your possession and the first dream battle isn't too complex and actually a little interesting. But in the third chapter things start to fall apart and the battles become chores thanks to the reliance on random card draws to deal damage. I was stuck on the final battle for over half an hour just meditating and draw 1's and 2's over and over. It wasn't difficult, I just couldn't DO any damage and lost all interest in the game. The revelations on the nature of the mystery prior to the battle didn't help matters either. Overall, I can't recommend it to people unless they want to see some interesting tricks that can be done with RPG Maker. Don't Recommend.

Homeless: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/527#.VdAELflVhBc

An interesting premise for a game that is marred by average characters and story-telling, but the gameplay itself is short and put together well enough to keep one entertained throughout. I beat it twice in one sitting in less than an hour. The game consists of working hard to make money during the day before resting at night. The player can spend money on food and items to restore health and energy or a bed at the end of the day for either him, his sister or both. Sleeping on the street is bad for your health so it's interesting to manage all these factors at once. I feel the game could have benefited more from a modern day setting, as the medieval setting kind of detracts from the message the game was trying to deliver. Ultimately, the game is good enough to check out. Just don't expect to be blown away. Recommend.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
    shaynec1981 likes this.
  10. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I forgot to mention I'm happy with the new review system (needing 2 agreeing reviews to account for a recommended / not recommended) so I might start using it too!

Wizards of the Pale! - Mixed

This game has a multiplayer option and would probably have gotten a Recommended if I had played it with friends.

It's a very polished game, from the 30 minutes I did play, offering plenty of different mechanics that play nothing like an RPG maker game. I enjoyed the amount of effort put into the game, and I really like the atmosphere too, it really brings me to a retro, western, D&Dy vibe. (It also brings me to the PS2 Rpg Maker 3 lol which is a plus) I also really enjoyed all the flavour text, it was very amusing. However, it failed to hook me, and presented too much in too little time (which is ok for a long, inventive game (this game is quite inventive though I don't know if it's long) but bearing in mind that the judges will play only the 1st hour of the game, dumping so much information at once was for me an odd design choice. I got bored of its slow pace really early, especially because of all the wait time for the 3 other characters (this'd be more fun if you were playing with 3 friends. Also, plus for being one of the only rpg maker games to play multiplayer!) Overall despite the depth and polish it bored me faster than I could get into it. I"m sure if I had been more patient and gotten more of a hang of the system, I'd have had more fun but I can't really invest into that. In a way it reminds me of Unlimited Saga (ps2) for the very same reason. (it isn't alike except for being a board game too, rather it is too in depth and different raising the investment bar REALLY HIGH while itself playing really slowly)

Anyway. Kudos for the huuuuuuge effort, and I'm eager to see more games by these guys!

11. shaynec1981

shaynec1981 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ouch. I won't lie, having our first game ever finished and submitted to public eye getting the big, fat DR stings a little. But I appreciate your honesty and completely understand where you're coming from. I was responsible for the revamped battle system and a month just isn't enough time for all the work that required (which I found out a little late). I was finishing it up, literally, at the last possible hour. Didn't even have time to play test and balance it whatsoever. I already know what I am going to do to drastically improve the battle system and the way I had envisioned it to begin with looks nothing like the end result. There's actually a whole lot more that will go into the final result.

Also, could you elaborate here: "The revelations on the nature of the mystery prior to the battle"? And thank you so very much for your honest feedback! All it does is show us exactly where we need to improve and helps us to grow and for that I see it as a positive review! :)

12. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    If you don't like platformers, then you shouldn't be reviewing them. That'd be like me reviewing sports games. (Spoiler: I think they're boring.)

Also, I like how you cut out the splash screen that recommends using a controller with this game from your video. Would have likely improved your experience quite a bit, ie. Explaining the Xbox 360 prompts so you know what button to press.

But honestly your video didn't so much show the quality of the game, but more reaffirmed (almost intentionally so) that you are neither good nor a fan of platformers.

ALSO! I couldn't help but laugh when you walked back into the same room and then shouted surprise and indignation that it was the same room. Are you surprised when you walk out of your bedroom, forget something, and then walk back into it and go, "DA FECK WHAT IS MY BED DOING HERE."

BCj, Razelle and Ronove like this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @josephseraph: That about summarizes my experience with the game today too. I'll add in another to mark it as mixed. I didn't write up an official review for it as I felt like I needed to play it with 3 others before I could review it fairly.

@shaynec: Don't feel too bad, most people's first games are NR in the end. If I were to review my own entry from last year now I'd mark it NR. I still sometimes fire it up just to look at it and go "What in the WORLD was I thinking???". Just try focus on fixing one or two key things at a time, while keeping the core game intact.

@Reynard Frost: Maybe she wants to try them out still? I don't play them much but I still like to try them out, and if the game is GOOD I'll stay with it. That tends to be true with most, even if it is not the game they normally play.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  14. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Reynard I did not give it any score, so I don't see the harm. It's up to me what I play anyway. I could have perfectly enjoyed a good platform game even if I was not a fan, it just didn't happen here. 

I'm not going to be reviewing genres I absolutely don't like (sports, shooters), but it would not be impossible for me to like a strategy, puzzle or platforme, even if those are not my go-to genres. And it's not my dayum fault I don't have a controller, so that's moot point.

I'm neither a judge nor any kind of official reviewer, so yah, I'll do what I like, thanks  :p

On another topic, about first time games: in the same way we don't expect someone who just picked up a violin to excel (that's ridiculous), we don't expect someone new with the program to be perfect.

But! In this case we are (mostly) judging all the entries equally with the same standards, so it's only natural that games from people with less experience will look less than stellar when compared to games with people who simply have been at it longer.

There's no shame in it, you just have to understand that it's a contest and people are not obligated to be lenient. 

JosephSeraph likes this.
  15. shaynec1981

First Language:
    English
    I think you took my reply wrong. I wasn't being defensive or not understanding in the slightest. I have been using RM off and on since RM95 and I've been using VXA almost weekly (sometimes daily) for almost 2 years now so I'm not exactly new to the engine. I was just stating that this is my first public release and that it kind of stinks (anyone, including yourself, would feel exactly the same in that particular situation) that it was met with negative remarks BUT that I understood why and was grateful for the review because I took it as constructive criticism and I will learn from it instead of just being butt-hurt about. I understand people don't need to be lenient and I don't expect nor want them to be. I like brutally honest opinions as that's how I give mine in my reviews. Just wanted to clarify that.

dinkledaberry and JosephSeraph like this.
  16. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wasn't particularly aiming to correct any defensiveness. I was just talking to someone else who was also on their first game at the same time (different channel) and your post reminded me of it too, so I made the comment. At some point SOMEONE is going to be offended over a negative comment (it's going to happen, can't be avoided) so there's that. It's just a way to remind early devs of the perspective or some players such as myself (aka demanding hardasses XD)

17. shaynec1981

First Language:
    English
    Ah lol. Ok, I do take constructive criticism well I just don't know how I feel about recommending a game to the masses whether it's worth trying out or not based on a couple people's opinions. It seems rather toxic and counterintuitive.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  18. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...This a user-made list in a single forum. Calling it toxic is hilariously overblown (not even everyone at the forum is going to bother looking). 

Besides, we already set it so you'd need two negatives votes. I'd say that's enough.

This is to help people find neat games, not necessarily to cushion less than stellar games :x

19. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whether you like it or not, your list is influential and it's only fair to let people debate its usefulness. I do find it funny that "mixed" doesn't apply to games that have one positive and one negative review, because that to me would qualify as mixed reviews. Any reason why this is?

Because as soon as you start putting a big "recommended" or "not recommended" in capital red or green letters, you are using a rubric to define the people's view of a game, and it's like putting a big "success" or "fail" stamp on a game. This is because green is connoted with success, and red with failure. So it should come as no surprise that there is negative reaction.

That said, I do like the idea of positive reinforcement of great games, but in order to disincentivize bad games, one must do so with absolute fairness, or at least expect people to be unhappy with using a rubric to formulate whether a game is acceptable or not.

That said, I don't mind the list and the way that it has been compiled. I would change those where the positive reviews are equal to the negative to have "mixed" reviews, though.

eDeus and JosephSeraph like this.
  20. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe just set the average of the scores given by the players. Let's say "3/5 stars" if two people voted 1/5 and 5/5 in the same game, for example.

I agree about the stamp kinda thing xD! However, this is just a random thread out there so there is that too... nothing really 'official'.