[IGMC 2015] Recommended games list

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I'm not saying 'make the game pisspoor easy" I'm saying "Make it fair." and fair isn't a boss that takes 20minutes to kill in a repetitive loop of doing the same thing because you didn't get everything needed to out damage the healing. Now say, if this boss was outhealing your damage AND killing you quickly - the player would feel more compelled to go "Oh I should maybe grind out another level" or whatever. Anyway, agree to disagree might be the best idea here. Moving on - 

If people are really that upset about how this thread is being managed - make another one? Indrah's the one micromanaging that first post, keeping up with the thread for new reviews, editing them into the first post, etc, etc, etc - She made this thread and set the rules for it, the fact that a lot of people are using it isn't really her fault? Anyone can make another thread and do the same thing with their own set of rules on how the first post goes. Nothing is stopping anyone from making another IGMC2015 game review thread and setting their own personal rules.

Yeah, it's going to hurt to see someone not enjoying what you made, but as for fear that this thread will damage your image? Your image is what you make of it.  I've had things of mine that have been received poorly and it sure does hurt; but at the end of the day the important thing is that that is one opinion, and if you want to hear others, then you need to put effort into getting others to experience your creation. Put your game in your signature, go leave helpful comments in other threads - easiest way to gain attention and it will be fully removed from this thread's stigma. Don't let it discourage you, turn that disappointment into motivation.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*wakes up*

*browses topic from bed while emerging from sleep*

*...*

*goes get breakfast*

RIGHT! Let me see if I can answer this in a non-inflamatory way (but if some slips me, remember I have a hot flaming turd in my inbox from a valiant white knight cursing me from not liking a game). Sorry if this is a bit disjointed but replying to specific says does that.

Is it fair to "debate" how this topic is run? Sure, knock yourself out. Doesn't mean I have to cater to everyone, because honestly, what's the alternative? Only set the Recommended ones? And have people smack into the bad games without any warning? Why? The point of the list is to help people find nice games. And the tags are in capital bight colors to be easy to grasp at a glance, for pete's sake. They're not a flaming hot brand of witchcraft.

As for the tag system: you need two clean points in any direction to get a tag at all. This means having a +1 rec and a -1 not rec = 0, aka no tag.

Yes+No=nothing

Yes+Yes=Yes

No+No=No

Yes+Yes+No=Mixed

Yesx3+No=Yes

And so on. If a game has 3 or more reviews and tagging is a bit shaky we can discuss it, but it has not happened so far.

NO, I am not going to change the system anymore. This is more than enough, and if you really think each game is going to have 4+ reviews I'd like to know what you're smoking. There are ~40 items just in this list. Let's be realistic. 

NO, I will not sort them by a numerical score. a/because we don't demand people to give a score and most folks are iffy with it anyway, b/I am not a review site and I refuse to do arithmetic and policy small text blurbs for this stupid things.

Get over the tag color. It's small tag, it's meant to have vibrant color so the list is not a slab of confusing links. 

Give me a break with this "absolute fairness" stuff. I'm not even writing all the reviews myself, and I've allowed quite a few I do not personally agree with. Make your own blurbs if you want, I'm not stopping anybody.

Do you seriously think I don't know how it is to receive negative criticism? Do me a favour and go to my profile, and check out the game list. I can assure there is, at the VERY LEAST, one long comment/review I felt absolutely was unfair/malicious/insane. Deal with it. Welcome to the world of game development. And you know what? It's already set up that ONE comment of that type will not disable your game anymore. So yah. 

Also, two of the developers whose games I was myself quite hash with have responded perfectly well, agreeing with some points and disagreeing or explaining others, and that's absolutely fine. I am not going to pussyfoot around my opinions or anyone else's, in the same way I accept people don't have to enjoy my games and I must accept that.

(And I am fiercely curious of how some of you would fare under the RMN review system, because they DO give numerical scores, and that BRANDS your game even in the search engine).

This was A. MOTHER. F*CKING. CONTEST. YES, I know some people used it as a chance to get something, anything, out with the deadline as motivation. And that's AWESOME. But you CAN NOT demand people play at your own pace in a contest setting. It's a competition. If you really want your game to be viewed, for example, as a first time game, you should host it in the forum indifividually and make that clear. You CAN largely ignore the more demanding feedback with the justification of newbieshness while taking more objective feedback to heart, but you can't really blame people for not catering to your specific needs in a huge event with 500+ entries.

Want to know why I made this list? Let's time travel to one year before, what do you see? 400+entires in the IGMC 2014. I set out to play ALL the entries made from people of THIS forum, livestreaming them. No filtering. 

What did I get? A whole slew of bad and terrible games, a lot of boring and mediocre ones, and very, VERY few good ones. I missed out on almost all of the really good games. 

So, this year I wanted to not do it alone, but rather have us all make a list to sort out the really cool stuff and discard the bad stuff. This is why I will not remove the negative tags. Some people DO NOT want to play bad games. You can't demand they give you a chance, especially if they don't have the time. There is a lot of space within the system to prevent a bad tag (if you have a single good tag, you'd need THREE bad ones to tip you over). I don't think I'm being unfair, nor will I change the system further. We're already being really lucky with a lot of awesome people chipping in with their own small blurbs and videos, which is awesome and these people ROCK. 

What happens if you don't like how I manage the list? Nothing, really. You're welcome to ignore it. You're welcome to making your own. I am neither a judge, not any official position, reviewer, admin or mod. I'm a plain community member doing my own thing, and if you don't like it you don't have to,

Other stuff:

Updates later today, didn't get time to do it yet.

@about Escalia: I fiercely,vigorously, disagree with both disagreements (is that correct?). If you're thinking in terms of "punishing" players you're...doing it wrong, in this case. Players are not here to follow the dev's plan, they're here for ENJOYMENT. Sure, some times you must help shape their way of playing by reinforcing and discouraging behaviours, but saying "if you do this you don't get to play" is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY at the last boss (and especially considering I did just fine in the boss before that, which felt HARDER game-wise (jsut not stupidly long). The entire POINT of visual enemies is being able to choose if you want to evade them! Don't use that system or simply make it impossible to skip them if they are REQUIRED. 

Nearly ALL encounters (I can only remember the bandits being obligatory) were skippable. No encounters were fixed. If you want a minium level, try to have certain encounters not be skippable at all as a way to buff up player to a minimum with a visual enemy system.

Also, this punishment tactic does not work especially since there are TWO bosses in a row with no save. This is by default a bad idea, but throwing in such a punishment is just insulting the player and telling them they wasted their time and you don't care. 

You should never develop from the perspective that players must play your way or not at all. You're greatly overstimating player tolerance, and you will annoy them with this "My way or no way" attitude, especially since nothign else in the game merits such fervent loyalty. I may be able to tolerate some sassyness from games like Dark Souls, but this isn't it.

Want to keep the difficulty? Make a save before the last boss so they can backtrack and grind without losing progress. Want to keep the shiny bits? Use a visual thing (like an actual herb, etc) instead or make a character POINT OUT that both systems are in place (visual and not). You should never expect a player to operate on the same level as a tester under orders, and you should NEVER, EVER! Expect a player to fight ALL encounters. Because they won't. LESS if they're visible on the filed and skippable. That's the whole point of visual enemies :/

Disagree? Fine. I still think It's a very bad choice of design and I'm obviously not the only one. I'm only saying: this isn't exactly a stylisitcal choice where I could agree to simply not having the same tastes, this is something much more basic. 

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well in that case, let's agree to disagree.

1) The only thing that sparkled were the flowers/leaves and the one key I didn't want the player to miss, again, only in areas where there was grass. I am not going to put sparkles all over the place (forcrates with hidden stuff or items with flavortext) because I want the player to seach for himself too. I'm not going to hand everything to him.

2. In all due respect, I am not going to reward slacky-ness. If there are 6 slimes and you choose to run away from them, then it's _your_ choice for making it hard on yourself. If I am rewarding slacky-ness like that, what about people that kill 6 slimes? Boss would be too easy. What if I enable grinding, and people kill 12 slimes? Boss would be _pisseasy_. Unless I'd make like, 3+ difficulties. Which I am not going to do. This is my first game, and it was hard enough to balance as it is, never mind with several difficulties.
I do disagree with your first point here, the consistency of it is important; I initially didn't realize you could find items because I thought only sparkled stuff had items. Eventually found out you could examine other things. Rpgs do things differently so you can't assume that the player will expect to have to examine normal looking objects especially if you don't tell them that they can.

As for your second point I agree with you, I watched Indrah play and don't think she played all that well. I had a friend who played and bought rpgs, he'd run from almost every fight, get to the boss and then wonder why he couldn't win. Although I do say I agree with some of Indrah's points as well as I say in my own review of your game.

As for this whole review thing influencing people, I don't see it really. Indrah is a small fish in a big pond (sorry Indrah :p ), last I checked some of the games she has not recommended are some of the most popular in the contest so far (meaning they don't have anything to worry about anyway). Also If people are letting one persons opinion effect them that much you probably don't want them playing your game anyway. Reviews are helpful yes but people should have the where with all to see if the game would be something that would interest them firs-hand or not especially since all the games are free to download.

Perhaps most importantly to is that you can disagree with Indrah, this thread is her thing; if you don't like it do your own reviews/etc... on your own thread. This thread isn't law or anything or the only potential existing source of reviews allowed on the site. As a game developer people are going to disagree with what you put out, sometimes strongly so and even for little reason. You need to take that in stride and find a way to shed a positive light on your game and find the fans that like it.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
lol fair enough, how about a big goldfish in a small bowl?

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
emmmh... guys? What about the reviews >.<

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can it be a Piranha at least? ;A;

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well in that case, let's agree to disagree.

1) The only thing that sparkled were the flowers/leaves and the one key I didn't want the player to miss, again, only in areas where there was grass. I am not going to put sparkles all over the place (forcrates with hidden stuff or items with flavortext) because I want the player to seach for himself too. I'm not going to hand everything to him.

2. In all due respect, I am not going to reward slacky-ness. If there are 6 slimes and you choose to run away from them, then it's _your_ choice for making it hard on yourself. If I am rewarding slacky-ness like that, what about people that kill 6 slimes? Boss would be too easy. What if I enable grinding, and people kill 12 slimes? Boss would be _pisseasy_. Unless I'd make like, 3+ difficulties. Which I am not going to do. This is my first game, and it was hard enough to balance as it is, never mind with several difficulties.
At one point in my game design (I used visible encounters, though mine are much harder to dodge) I was planning on setting up points in the story which would level up your characters to a minimum level for the next fights. So if you skipped encounters you would miss out on items (And money, in most games) but you wouldn't necessarily be missing out on power. You wouldn't be as strong as you could be if you fought everything, but you would be strong enough that it would be possible to continue.

I'm not saying that is a perfect solution (My game isn't exactly receiving universal praise either (understatement)). But it was my solution to that obvious (but difficult) problem of visible encounters.

FYI, I did like your game, up until the final boss (which I think I thoroughly covered in your thread). I'm not going to label it for the purposes of this thread, I will save that for games I love or hate/are broken. When I actually get a chance to play more of them (Actually as it stands your game would be #2 on my list, from the games I have played. Probably sitting at like 14 now.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BCj

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Uh Indrah, I'm not "punishing" anyone and it's "not my way or the highway". All I pointed out is, if it's your choice to skip monsters, it's your choice to make it harder on yourself. That is your choice. I'm allowing anyone to feel free to play as they deem fit.

No need to go off like that. And definitely not a nice idea to put words into my mouth which I have never said.

At one point in my game design (I used visible encounters, though mine are much harder to dodge) I was planning on setting up points in the story which would level up your characters to a minimum level for the next fights. So if you skipped encounters you would miss out on items (And money, in most games) but you wouldn't necessarily be missing out on power. You wouldn't be as strong as you could be if you fought everything, but you would be strong enough that it would be possible to continue.

I'm not saying that is a perfect solution (My game isn't exactly receiving universal praise either (understatement)). But it was my solution to that obvious (but difficult) problem of visible encounters.

FYI, I did like your game, up until the final boss (which I think I thoroughly covered in your thread). I'm not going to label it for the purposes of this thread, I will save that for games I love or hate/are broken. When I actually get a chance to play more of them (Actually as it stands your game would be #2 on my list, from the games I have played. Probably sitting at like 14 now.).
No I agree, my last boss needs some tweaking. I've been tweaking it on and off the past days before the contest ended because I got loads of feedback from players due to the heal being too powerful, too random, too much blind, too much damage, not enough damage, too easy, etcetera etcetera. For the sake of getting it done I eventually tweaked it like this. Could it be improved? Sure. I do agree on that. And I will work on some solutions for (a) future version(s).

@ Ralpf, I put some leafs in the game so people could use those to feel a bit stronger.

Nathanial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for making the videos you've been making, Indrah. It's been fascinating watching them (particularly, your reactions), as I'm not judging this year (haven't watched them all yet though, crunched on time) and likely won't play many entries. Such colorful language LOL

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Perhaps most importantly to is that you can disagree with Indrah, this thread is her thing; if you don't like it do your own reviews/etc... on your own thread. This thread isn't law or anything or the only potential existing source of reviews allowed on the site. As a game developer people are going to disagree with what you put out, sometimes strongly so and even for little reason. You need to take that in stride and find a way to shed a positive light on your game and find the fans that like it.
this topic has a huge influence on this contest. while it might not dictate the winner, it will certainly dictate for some people if they should play the game(s) in question or not; which, to some people, is just as important as winning the prize money.

with that being said, you (or whoever decides to host a topic like this) must be able to approach EACH and EVERY game, regardless of genre, with absolutely no bias. is that hard? yes. does that take effort? extreme amounts of it.

however, it is nor fair for some games to be written off because you "aren't good at them" or "dislike the genre" because of the stakes riding on the topic. if that's too much stress for you or your only retort is "my thread my rules" or something similar then you should consider closing this thread

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't want to go off topic but I completely disagree, I think Indrah's topic has very little influence actually. For example take Escalia; she didn't like it at all but it doesn't change the fact that it is still and will be one of the most popular in the contest. Her opinion will effect this in almost no way what so ever. Also take my game for example almost nobody has played it and it has relatively few votes but so far the feedback in the thread is recommending it.

And yes it is impossible to go into a game without bias because bias is something that cannot fully be removed from the equation. The best you can do is limit the direction the bias will have in the viewpoint but it will always be there.

In no way is Indrah going on like her thread rules, but the thread is constructed under her opinions and is going to run the way she the poster wants it. That is why anyone else is free to do so as well, just the same way you have more than one major gaming site/magazine giving reviews.

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Played a couple more games. When it comes to my recommendations you should really take them with a grain of salt. I'm hard to please for the most part:

Everything is going to be OK: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/156#.VdADr_lVhBc

The music and graphics are great. Lends the game it's own feel. Keeping track of health and thirst while wandering the desert is a great mechanic though I had a few issues with it. There were a few times where my thirst seemed to change drastically for no reason. Near the beginning it didn't change at all from 55 and then suddenly BOOM 23. Yikes. The story didn't really work for me but I can see other people enjoying it. The battles were kind of disappointing. It seems most enemies only had one attack (except for item stealing kangaroo rats) and the character's skills all boiled down to "hit them until they die". This resulted in me skipping most of the battles later on which made the final boss fight annoying since I was under-leveled at that point. I had also spent all my stamps and there was no way to leave the final room to level up. The final boss was disappointing as well since it was just the same as the rest. Attack (or rather comfort) until dead and the boss did the same. This seems like the kind of game that would benefit greatly (to me at least) from either no battle system or a more unique, revamped one. I don't recommend this one personally, but I'm sure it has its audience out there. Don't Recommend.

Jayce and Stacy RUIN the IGMC for EVERYONE!: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/610#.VdADwflVhBf

fun text-driven game where the only gameplay seems to be dialogue choices (that I'm pretty sure don't change anything?) and a terrible music section that was funny at first but wore thin by the third time. The game itself is a riot and if this is the humor that will be used in the designer's other game "Wheels and the Leg Girl" then hell yeah I'm looking forward to that. I came across a few odd transitions and scene glitches which is surprising from such a short game but what was here was great. This game is enjoyable for those looking for a fourth-wall breaking little bit of humor. It's not going to win any awards I think but overall, people should get a kick out of it. Recommend.

shaynec1981

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After watching a couple of Indrah's video reviews, I can understand her stance. It's just her personality to be brutally honest with her opinion and I can appreciate that. I actually enjoyed watching her rip into the games she played not because I thought she had the right or fair opinion but she was entertaining. I will watch more of her stuff and she's gained a new fan in me! Please video review my game, Pandora's Box, Indrah! :)

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you're forgetting I'm not writing most of the reviews. sheep, I only have 6 so far. All I do is compile them and update the list following the same system.

I don't edit them or censor the texts in any way, so lay off me with this "must be unbiased thing" because jesus christ who do you think I am? I'm neither a judge not any official staff member. I'm here to do this as a hobby, not to compile the official ultimate list.

sheep, even if I DID dislike one game and thrash it horribly, it takes ONE person to offset my vote. If you guys are so concerned about fairness, submit your own blurbs :/

The only say I have over this is how the scoring system works, and it's SO EASY to prevent a bad tag (seriously, a single positive blurb will disable one bad one), I'm sick of hearing about it.

Also, no one has the right to tell me how I should or should not approach a game. I'm playing free games. Sure, my affinity may result in bias, but I WILL DO WHATEVER I WANT, like everyone else. And if someone doesn't agree that's fine, but they have no right to tell me I can't talk about whatever. And I've said this already, but I did NOT score the games I was not proficient in (In this case ONE SINGLE GAME, jesus christ).

I have already gotten negative crit for my own game, mostly along the lines of "it has too much text". Fine. I'm not going to blame them saying "oh if  you don't like games with a lotta text you have no say in this game, you should not give feedback at all". F*ck that. I may or may not agree with particular aspects of the criticism, but saying people should not give their input at all is ridiculous.

@Shaynec: Sure. Blacksword was also requested, so I will play these two games today in a bit. (Gimme half an hour or so), I stream over here: http://www.twitch.tv/indrah (will peep on the status feed/tweet when it's time to start) 

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
A couple quick ones before I go to work:

Dungeon Bachelor: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/668#.VdADXflVhBc

I almost swear this is a joke game like Credits. This game is like Pokemon...but with chicks. You pick a team of girls at the beginning, walk around winning battles and then choose one of the girls in your team to marry. It uses the Old School Modern resource pack but the dialogue is all over the place and events are very confusing. The game doesn't take itself seriously which makes me think this is a first project by a young teenager. The humor is weird and pretty bad. At one point a famous male celebrity is revealed to be a chick and so his fans...riot against him? Like what? Wasn't a fan myself. The battle system was the best part of the game but was also very out of balance. Don't Recommend.

Chroma Wheel: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/410#.VdADP_lVhBc

Control the google chrome logo and collect colors. Wait come back! This is actually fun. Like a four-sided Ikaruga (but without any shooting). I spent a little bit of time with it but it's a fun time-waster. It's web-based so you don't have to worry about downloading it at all. It's going to be ported to mobile it seems where it would be a perfect fit I think. Recommend.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Had no time to play Pandora's box in the end, but liked Blacksword chronicles quite a bit.

Blacksword Chronicles (Recommended)

Game has a strong core (engaging active gameplay with one-on-one (or two, or three!) combat). Biggest problema are the bad mapping conveyance and the high skill level required.

Imporant note! If you want to enjoy this game but do NOT possess the reaction time to play it, simply cheat our the wazoo like I did: to stop time (and thus have all the reaction time in the world) simply play in windowed mode and click outside the game screen. Click inside again to resume.

Whether or not you're capable of reacting at a good pace (naturally or by stopping time) will determine if you can like the game or not (otherwise it will frustrate you). The story and characters are decent, nothing spectacular but they serve the two hour runtime well and they don't give any fuss. I recommend this to anyone, but also recommend you cheat as I pointed above if you're not very skilled like myself.

Edit: update complete.

nana7

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Englilsh
Primarily Uses
New game for the list:

Mixed review

Zombie Ablockalypse  Action game by Gazzapper, Built using the GLBasic Coding Language

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/213#.Vc0e70arH2R

The graphics and sounds are simple and remind me of early arcade games, in a nostalgic way. On my first play I wasted ammo trying to kill the green ones but it turns out green are ok, only purple ones need to be shot to turn them green. None of them ever die and green can be re-infected easily. One needs to drop mine/blocks to try to keep them quarantined while curing the purple ones and hopefully finding some of the big blocks with stars that can be shot to reveal power-ups. I was not very good and found it frustrating especially when having to find fresh ammo after running out of bullets and mines. But I can see how someone good at it could spend hours playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So the overhaul on my project has been going great, I like this version of the project a lot more. It's more contained and less overly ambitious for what I can achieve given my constraints on time, money, and skills in advanced programming. I'm going to wait till my project is mostly finished to begin working UI polish again. I'm going to learn how to use LUNA MV to polish the project.
last time i used this site i was a different gender.. wow rlly makes u think... anyway transing ur gender is pretty cool and theres hair growing on my feet now 10/10
I should have listened to RPGMAKER Meme thread. I should have backed up my data. The Orphan of Time, my WIP, is completely gone, all those hours of work are completely gone :(
God what was my life before smartphones (I had a grandma's phone before wednesday)
Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordan_Q