[IGMC 2015] Recommended games list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Indrah, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TerminusEst13

TerminusEst13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Indrah! It's been a while, good to see you're still roaming about and doing cool stuff.

If you'd be interested, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my game for this year. http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/657

I took your advice to heart from last year's Peace of Mind and tried to polish up the gameplay quite a bit this time around, working in a more proper action format rather than the clunky mash-button-to-win. I think the story suffered because of it, though...but, well, I'll leave the final judgement to you and the rest of the squad here.

But, well, I don't want to just be a leech. I've been doing streams of my own, showing off different games and what they're like as well. So I figure I might as well contribute.

(Note that for the stream videos, Twitch is known for its crazy and sometimes extremely colorful userbase. I always try and keep my criticism fair and I want to give games a fair chance, but I don't always keep track of everything everyone says, so if someone says something particularly nasty/unfairly insulting...well. Sorry about that!)

Xintana Legends (Stream video)

The first thing you'll notice about Xintana Legends is that it's gorgeous. It's got incredible spritework, lush scenery, majestic music, and everything has been spit and polished to a sheer shine. It's magnificent in every single possible way. The artists on this game were at the top of their game and everything looks professional. Hell, beyond professional, even.

Unfortunately, the second thing you'll notice about Xintana Legends is when you pop in-game and notice that the aforementioned beautiful scenery is kind of a pain to navigate. It's all too easy to get caught on the edges, to collide with something that you never wanted to, and get stuck in a position because of it. You'll either get locked in an animation, or get locked in place in a single specific frame, or more. For as much thought and effort was put into the aesthetic, some of it probably should have been spent on the coding front--the beautiful artwork just simply goes down the tubes when you're trying to do a jump and end up stuck on a walls, or need to do a leap of faith down a chasm, or get stuck in another infinite loop.

For gamers, there's always a constant battle going on between graphics and gameplay, and which is more important. Is a game that looks pretty irrelevant when it handles like a tank lubed up in a bathtub? Or can a well thought out and designed aesthetic help polish up some of the flaws? This game is exemplary of this, as you either love the game because it looks gorgeous, or you hate it because it handles like a Chinese bootleg. Unfortunately, I'm in the latter category. Sorry, guys, I wanted to like it, but I Don't Recommend.

Planterra (Stream video)

The idea behind this game is the coolest. You play as a plantman that traverses platforms by magicking plants out of nowhere. You get to play a fricking Power Rangers villain. Except he's not a villain. This is easily one of the more original concepts and ideas I've seen in a long time, and it executes it...kind of well?

The story is simplistic and, honestly, it doesn't really need to be more than that. You are a plantdude and you have a friend. A storm happens, and using your magic you lock your friend down. Storm blows you away. Now you have to get back to your friend (ostensibly) because you like him. At least, I assume. Maybe he owes you twenty plantbux. Or maybe you wanna do him. Whatever motivation you choose to subscribe to, now you gotta run and jump through levels.

And honestly, the game works despite (or perhaps because of) its simple set-up. It's pretty solid; the running runs and the jumping jumps, and you run and jump through a variety of worlds. The trick comes primarily in creating platforms, either via magicking out vines or by planting seeds and then magicking out blocks. It doesn't aim to be anything more than a fun and silly little endeavor and it doesn't need to be, it's got a clever gimmick and it uses it for some fun run-and-jump times.

If I had to pick nits (and I do, that's the name of the game when it comes to criticism), it would be that there's no way to access a continue from the main screen. In my playthrough, I ended up accidentally falling through the floor into oblivion, and shutting off the game forced me to restart. dayum. Despite this, I would heartily Recommend.

A Fading Dream (Stream video NSFW)

If only one vice could be said about me, it's that...well, I'm immature as can be. I'm foul-mouthed, I'm not shy of low-brow humor, I'm flirty, I'm often quite contrary, and I tend to dance around subjects most people don't like dealing with. But if I had another vice, it would be that I'm a sucker for a good harlequin. It's perhaps not "appropriate" of me, but I can't help it! I love me a cheesy, feelgood, romantic X-meets-Y story. A Fading Dream is supposed to be a tragic twist on this, with a story of two madly-in-love young adults, their best friend, and a heartfelt beginning with a cruel twist at the end.

I'm not going to spoil it here, but you really should already be able to guess what the cruel twist is.

I went in hoping I'd be able to sate my palette with some LEWD AS sheep HAND-HOLDING but unfortunately was left hanging. The story tends to bounce back and forth from plot point to plot point, as we go from romance to police duty to low-stakes adventure to ancient ghost fantasy to heartbreak to one of the three endings, which each cover a different genre spectrum depending on how you play your cards. There's some neat ideas here and a few dangling plot points that seem like they could go somewhere (what's going on with the mysterious shadows? What about the crazy bandits?), but they're never really expanded on. I'm all for flirtin' back and forth with a pretty lady, but once we kissed we just kind of knocked our teeth together and that sheep ruins pretty much any mood. Don't Recommend.

Nido Force (Stream upload)

Bloody hell this game is cute. Adorable artwork, adorable artstyle, adorable character and enemy design, hhhnnnnggggghhh. A third-person platformer, story is mostly minimal--Nido is just jumping from island to island, throwing fireballs and shooting ice bolts at enemies just because. The wildlife, in turn, takes offense to all of this and starts feebly trying to nibble on her shins, which if done enough times will cause Nido to expire. Works for me. Let's go.

Gameplay is definitely extremely interesting, even if it's composed with familiar elements. Run and jump through levels, check. Collect tchotchkes to unlock further levels, check. Fight recurring boss multiple times, check. Maneuver character with keyboard and control camera to position jumps, check. Collect powerups to shoot enemies, check. And yet, all of them are blended together in a way that's both unique and compelling. While both of the starting items can only be charitably described as conditionally-useful (less charitably as "utter sheep"), thankfully it's pretty easy to maneuver around the world without being forced into combat. Plus, it won't take long to grab an extra fireball or ice spell, and then it's actually kind of fun to maneuver around attacks and line up a critical shot.

Though there's some extremely critical game-breaking bugs (dying to the final boss forces you to console and requires you to load up an earlier game) and some extremely questionable design decisions (what use is the shield? Why would you ever swap from the ice powerup? Why doesn't Nido have a shadow to make platforming more precise?), thankfully the rest of the game more than makes up for it and, in my eyes, is does not stop me from slapping a Recommend onto this game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  2. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's good, maybe I should try again. I liked it until like the 5th battle when it removed the guide, I proceeded to immediately lose...

With only maybe 15 minutes played it was hard to tell if it was going to stay good.

3. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Never Fallen - RECOMMEND

This is a science fiction game with light romance where you play a prince battling maverick robots using an Iron Man like suit. The game has a deep and engaging battle system that is well balanced. Plus this game has some cool visual "special effects" that will make you rethink how RPG Maker games can be designed. Also as someone who downloaded an earlier beta of this game, I was impressed by how much was changed in I think 1 week's time. I like this!

You can read the full review here: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/194#.Vc6b_Pmqqko

Notebook - To the Underworld and Back Again - RECOMMEND

Ok. At first glance this game looks like a beginner game (It is.) that makes one want to hit the pass button immediately. And honestly I probably wouldn't have played this till the author asked me to review it for him. I was pleasantly surprised. The game starts a bit slow but it has a fun "Phoenix Wright" like mystery deduction game midgame. This game won't blow your mind, but it is a good play for when you just want something casual to play for 40 minutes. I also can't help but think how much better this game could be if it was done up with custom graphics. It might've given it a much different feel. Also if the author spends more time improving the writing a bit (ok, the same can be said of writing in my own game so I prob shouldn't be criticizing anyone here...but let's not get off topic.) the game has a lot of potential.

You can read the full review here: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/292#.Vc6glPmqqko

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  4. Tornado Samurai

Tornado Samurai A Samurai of the Storms Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi, Indrah. Just noticed, under "User Reviews" and under my written review for Shards of Eryia, in the spoiler tag, there are nine game reviews hidden under my review's spoiler tag. xD (Alphabetically ranged: From Slime Heart to Xintana Legends.)

- Tornado Samurai

5. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh, I forgot to say, upon second thought, I came upon the realization that the current system isn't that flawed, and I also didn't think to say thank you for publishing and maintaining the list. What you do for the community is great. Cheers, Indrah.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  6. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Indrah You should play Reminisce. it's not an RPGmaker game, but It's so bad it's hilarious, and looks dumb too. Whoever made that one was a total dingus. 
    (Get some revenge for my review of Rootbound :p )

http://contest.gamed...07#.Vc1Y-flViko

7. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tornado Samurai GOSH DENGIT AGAIN, YOU STUPID COMPLEX TOPIC?! GAHHH *goes fix it

@Terminus heeey! I remmeber you! (your game in any case XD) Sure, I'll give it a shot, but I'm warning you I'm not a very shooter-ish person at all. (My realms is RPGS and Adventure games, anything outside that leaves me rather wobbly)

@Cashmere: You're welcome~

@thejesse I'm not sure where to place that (tho I will def chekc it out). Under avoid? I don't really want to put it on the list proper if its so bad XDD

Edit on further inspection: You ass, that's your own game XD Fine I'll play it. (dayum u I thought ti was going to be one of those horrible but funny trainwrecks, how dare you raise my expectations like this XD)

Updated. Don't ask me why but stuff keeps going BONKERS in the thread. Suddenly the lists have an extra blank slot, the spoilers get out of whack. This thread is possessed by an annoying poltergeist I tell you.

8. Lucy Fox

Lucy Fox Chosen Undead Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Another two.... :3

Reminisce

RecommendFrom what I've seen, it seems to be very well made. The graphics are very well done, the musics fits and the sounds do as well.
    The balancing is good, not too hard, but challenging. (I just suck at those kind of games -.-)

The only thing I think that needs an improvement is the assignment of keys. W for jump is bad. Especially together with the dash.....
    I think it would be way better to jump with space and to attack with the right ctrl button. :3

But besides this I think this game is very well made. The technique works as it should and I didn't noticed any bugs so far.
    Corrine Cross's Dead and Breakfast

RecommendWhen I see good looking games with custom graphics I always fear, that there is too less time spent into the game itself.
    But not here. This one is just great and I really enjoyed it. The graphics are very well made and the music fits perfectly.

The story is nothing new, but the pace and the characters are unique. I like how each of them deals different with their "condition".
    And I like the way you implemented some actual gameplay in this story driven game. The idea of growing plants to get money
    and to cook and to find the recipes..... this was all a lot of fun.
    I think the game has also a perfect length. I didn't got bored and it wasn't too short either.

The Mighty Palm likes this.
  9. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Guess I should review some too. 

Half-Off Hero: The world needs savings

Recommend!

Technicalities... 

Well the merchant game was kind of fun, if not totally confusing even with tutorials turned on. 

The combat was... well... as it always is with default Rpg maker. Bland. 

The graphics are lovely. I don't like to judge based on looks, but if I did this would win for sure.

The humor is fantastic. All of the characters have their own feel to them. I also like how not EVERYTHING is a joke. 

The money based system is really unique too. I loved the concept. 

The music is fitting, if not a bit generic and forgettable. 

I continued playing past the 1 hour timer for 25-30 minutes. 

Final Thoughts.

Hometown Story was a game developed by a real company, with experience in making fun sim games.

It sucked. It was terrible. Horribly executed and dull as rocks. They could learn something from this developer. 

Everything that it did wrong, this game did right. Even if you removed combat completely, it would still be superior.

That said it's not without flaws. It feels like leveling up takes forever, and that even after my hour of play I was still 

hiding from slimes and selling corn cobs. 

Jesse's "Convoluted Scoring System" gives this game a 7.5/10

dinkledaberry likes this.
  10. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yay Indrah for making this thread! I've been laying low while designing a new website / sig etc, but I wanted to post and say thank you to everyone who has played / reviewed A Stranger Comes To Shore so far. Awesome to be on the recommended list despite the opinion split!

@dinkledaberry: Many thanks for the review! I'm glad the visual aspect and the puzzle design worked for you, and the 'story' is certainly YMMV. :D

I responded to Indrah and Makio-Kuta on the contest page, and @Makio-Kuta, the community page is here, I've done a poor job of keeping it near the top. :D

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  11. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ohh I searched over there and couldn't find it, but I must have just missed it. I gotta say again, I really liked this game a lot. I'm curious if you went about this with a solid story in mind? Or if you just linked vague things together with no strong idea yourself. Always curious with these sorts of pieces which is true for the creator. This was my own personal take of the story at the end.

Childhood friends who did everything together when they were younger, but after becoming adults went their separate ways for a long while. Sam ended up in an abusive relationship and sought the protagonists help to get away. Protag didn't really know how best to approach the situation and ended up another bystander. Sam killed the abusive lover and talked protag into running away with them, hiding the evidence, and living in the forest for the rest of their lives together. The bus scene was them running to the forest. Sam ultimately died there somehow (malnutrition was my thought) and protag went back to their life, but the forest always call to them. To go be with Sam like they promised or not.
    I still haven't had time to do another run though, mostly I'm curious how the very last choice effects things, since watching Indrah make other choices didn't change the outcome of events much (just obviously your own personal understanding of the story)

Geoff Moore likes this.
  12. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you again! Gonna answer in a PM. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  13. nana7

nana7 Villager Member

First Language:
    Englilsh
    I started Half-Off Hero and it looks great so far. My only complaint is I had to google to see how to turn off Full Screen (alt-enter). Full screen does look great for it but it would be nice for the game to tell us since it starts out turned on. And it should probably tell the player that it auto saves at the start of each encounter and thus the player can simply close the window to quit at any point without losing anything. I will do a full review after more progress in the game, which looks awesome by the way.

14. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    @thejesse081: Thanks for the feedback and recommendation! I appreciate the kind words! I had hoped color-coding the shop would alleviate most of the memorization but alas... 

Yeah, I should probably include an option at the beginning for that. I just assumed everyone would want Full Screen, which was stupid of me. You can also save the game at anytime by pushing "cancel" from the navigation menu in towns. Hope you enjoy the game! 

Anyway, I played a few more games so here we go!

Free Spirits: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/365#.VdAC_PlVhBc

Adventure RPG where you convince ghosts to vacate their haunts via an engaging and unique battle system. This game is very impressive! The highlights are definitely the story, dialogue, combat and characters. So you know, pretty much the whole thing. The battle system involves talking with spirits and learning their story in order to bring them closure. Skills are all unique and useful and keep things constantly engaging. The characterization throughout the game is exceptional with the final chapter in particular, while short, featuring some tear-jerking moments. Out of all the games I've played I think I'd like to see this one expanded on the most. A few more cases and you have a very enjoyable and full experience. Highly Recommend.

Stock Trader Hiyo: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/130#.VdAC2_lVhBc

Comedy-driven game where you play as a young monster on his quest to avast a fortune as a stock trader. Travel to different companies and talk to NPC's to collect information on businesses so you can manipulate their stock prices for high profits.This game is interesting but ultimately not my kind of thing. I got a couple of the endings (marry a bunny and become a farmer) and they were fun but I didn't have the patience to go for the best ending. Started to feel like a chore for me much like the baby making game since a lot of the gameplay became a sort of fetch quest. I feel it should be easier to check and monitor stock prices as well. I certainly recommend it for those looking for something different though. It's at least worth checking out. Recommend. 

Memory is a Time Machine: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/688#.Vc_22PlVhBd

A story-driven game featuring a man that can rewind and control time. This one looks impressive but has a lot of technical bugs that hamper the experience. There are numerous times where NPC's will walk through walls and plenty of passable tiles. While the rewind effect is impressive (I mean wow, that must have taken a lot of effort to get right) it is also very costly on a computer's performance. Never had so much slow-down from an RPG maker game before. The puzzles are simple in nature and unfortunately don't take full effect of the slow-down mechanic as well. A few of the puzzles didn't even need it at all which makes it feel unneeded. I feel this game probably would have turned out better in a different engine. The story itself was odd and seemed loosely connected and I never got to see the end. The very last objective to do in the game got heavily glitched for me with a blond NPC getting trapped during her move method. Check it out if you want to see a rewind time effect that could be interesting in a different game. It's not a bad game, just there. Don't Recommend.

15. Darkalfador

Darkalfador New Member Member

First Language:
    English
    Good morning everyone,

My Name is Bob, I am the creator of "Never Fallen" for the IGMC.

I recommend you all check out The "Blacksword chronicles." 

Its fun in a challenging way - sort of like Megaman 2 or Contra.  It will test you - but its so well made you never feel cheated.

I always wanted to jump right back into the action after I died.  If you enjoy a balanced challenge with some pretty level design, I recommend you give this a try!

You can check it out here: http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/258#.VdAO-fknm1c

[​IMG]

Also, I recorded my play through of the game if you want to peak at it first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rolGK9sSqc

-Bob

16. tlst9999

tlst9999 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    We really need a "Meh" option. Some games aren't worth "recommending" but they're not bad enough to "not recommend" either.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  17. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    That's what the 'mixed' is for

18. tlst9999

tlst9999 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    From top to bottom, highest rating to lowest.

Blacksword Chronicles (Recommend) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/258

@watermark

At first, I was just neutral on the game story. The opening plot was pretty standard. The execution and writing felt familiar yet really quirky. But the more I played, it finally clicked. This is a really interesting take on the wuxia genre. I don't think anyone else has tried it yet in the IGMC. I grew up watching wuxia shows so all the originally weird-ish but familiar elements like Eastern sounding battle music, a lone nameless swordsman, the choice of words by the characters, a Black Sword named Black Sword and healing items with Chinese names started making sense. The rock paper scissors battle system is fast and intense, with plenty of variations to keep things interesting. It really keeps you on your toes. It reminds me of the personal duel section of Suikoden 5. Graphics were well done. It really adds to the bleak immersive feeling of the game. It takes a while to actually memorise the rock paper scissors element especially with time limits imposed, and you'll be dying a lot. But overall, it's a great tribute to the wuxia genre. Recommend especially to people who like wuxia. Oh yes. The author's puzzle design methods need working on. An analogy would be that you'll be spending a lot of time searching for very specific yellow needles in giant haystacks. Beautifully drawn giant haystacks, but giant haystacks nonetheless. Twice. Here's a walkthrough for the needle searching tasks :http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/43350-igmc-2015-blacksword-chronicles/?p=430345  

Never Fallen (Recommend) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/194#.VdHSQ_mqrbQ

@Darkalfador

Overall, the battle system was fantastic. It reminded me of the dresspheres from FFX-2 where you can switch modules according to the situation. The variety was great for a 1-2 hour game. I love it. The elemental rock-paper-scissors adds a layer of strategy to the battles. Barring a couple of minor gameplay inconveniences, the gameplay is great and worth playing. The battle system is the main star of the show. Honestly, this game has commercial potential based on it alone. All it needs is a bigger storyline and upgraded graphics to accompany it.  

A Fading Dream (Recommend) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/226

The gameplay action is just a standard battle system and some puzzles. This is a story-focused game, so a basic bare-bones gameplay is sufficient enough. Almost everything is in RTP. The visuals were nicely drawn and accentuate the mood nicely, giving a Visual Novel feel to it. I find the romance between Matt and Monica to be really sweet. It's a story about a recently engaged couple and a murder which happens the next day. The murderer has holed himself up in an abandoned mansion. The story begins. Overall, the game's strength is in the drawn visuals, the sweet "awws" generated by the couple, and in the short mystery of the abandoned mansion. However, the ending felt very rushed and left me somewhat less than satisfied.  

Galactic Star Tournament (Recommend) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/572

That was nice. This game can be finished in half an hour if you're looking to kill some time, I like how the simple plot escalated quickly in the end. The battle system was interesting enough for a short game, but it can get old even for a short 10+ hour RPG. That said. it has the potential to be a short minigame segment in a non-RPG adventure game, so long as it's not the core gameplay feature. Somewhat fun, but nothing particularly groundbreaking. Recommend only because it's short enough to not overstay its welcome. 

Growing Pains (Mixed) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/497#.VdHSlPmqrbQ

Once I learned about the Growing Pains and Growing Gains part, I was somewhat excited to see how this game would explore that. So, I ground from Level 1 to Level 2 and unlocked Growing Pains. Then, I spoke to quest giver. Next, I ground from Level 2 to Level 3. Then, I spoke to the quest giver. Next, I ground from 30MP to 50MP. Then, I converted the antidote and there was no need to grind any further. Halfway through grinding, I found myself wanting to adjust the xp gain parameters but the game file was encrypted. So, I sucked it up and continued grinding till the very end. I really wanted to like and recommend this game. But it felt too much like a grindfest. If I may add, it reminds me of life.

Detective Grayscale (Mixed) (Meh) : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/531

Can't say much about it. Overall, it's an okay and simple detective game which lasts less than one hour. Nothing less; nothing more. Quite meh actually. 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  19. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've just finished playing Zodiac - Keeper of the Tynes and was quite impressed by the general quality and polish of this game.

It has pretty maps, custom full size characters and beautiful musics.

The puzzles are on the easy side. And even if you fail, you can always try again.

The story is somewhat basic, but it works for what it wants to tell.

I'd say Recommend.

20. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eh, didn't update in the end. Going to be awol for a few days, be back on sunday. Keep going as usual, I just won't be able to update the thread (or stream).