[IGMC 2015] Slime Heart

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by PKLpikachu, Aug 8, 2015.

1. PKLpikachu

PKLpikachu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

PLOT:
    Aqua, a Slime from the Slime Forest, falls in love with Taylor, a young man from the neighboring village. Determined to win his heart, Aqua takes the form of a human and visits Taylor. While she's in the village, Aqua also meets Taylor's childhood friend Alex and falls for her as well.

Aqua has seven days to make Alex or Taylor hers. Will she win these Humans' hearts over, or will her slimey-ness work against her?

ABOUT THE GAME:
    Features:
    • An unconventional love story between a Human and a Slime!
    • Two aspects of gameplay: an action sequence with similar mechanics to agar.io and a dating sim sequence to romance Alex or Taylor
    • Upgrade your stats by earning Slime Points in the action sequences!
    • Exchange your Slime Points for Gold to raise affection during the dating sim sequences!
    • Ten endings to unlock!
    This is the second game I've ever completed and takes place in the same universe as my first game "Legend of Percivus", albeit hundreds of years earlier.

SCREENSHOTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CONTEST PAGE:
    http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/425

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    https://pklucky.itch.io/slime-heart

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    WHY DOESN'T THIS HAVE ANY COMMENTS YET??? Wow, I loved this. I admittedly picked this at completely random off the gamefort site because I saw "ulrika" and couldn't say no to my less-than-secret RPGmaker crush.

First off, the writing in this is great. It was really ... real. The characters were adorable and in a short time they were easy to fall in love with. I enjoyed their dialogue a lot. Aqua is so cute and she's really hard not to root for. The story concept is very simple, but the two characters carry it well enough just by being great characters. I'm really sad I couldn't seem to get the single good ending yet. Just two bad endings. :< I'll keep trying though, because I want to succeed! And that's a good feeling for a player to have. :)

The actual gameplay side of this game is pretty fun too in a simple sort of way. It's not groundbreaking, but it worked well enough that I was having fun and not put off by it. If I were to make any suggestion it would be that at least SOME points carry over between rounds. It's really hard to get that 15 points early on and it's setting you on a path for heartbreak. ;( or maybe I just suck xD Still, even carrying over 1/2 of your points would be better than nothing. Once you grow in size, it's easier to get the big upgrades - but getting that first one is a pain.

I liked the voice acting. Am I right that both characters were voiced by the same person? Either way, this wasn't an issue. I think you should have considered getting a voice for the little girl and the old lady. The opening cutscene feels odd since their lines (and one of Erik's) aren't voiced, but the rest of it is. Other than that, I have zero issues with the voice acting. I love the echo you did when Aqua was thinking to herself.

And my favourite part of the game - Those Cutscene images!!! Those were so cute!! So SO cute! I loved them a lot. Wonderful work! I only wish that you had drawn the characters' facesets as well, but for time reasons I can understand why you wouldn't. It's sad that the maps couldn't match them in visuals. The slime hunting map was fine, but the town and Aqua's corner of the forest could have used a bit more TLC. With only the 4 maps in the game, it would have nice if some more effort was put into making them.

I did catch an error in the bad ending that I got (both times :( ), you'll see it on the video.

Video:

You have my vote! :)

d_a_renoir likes this.
  3. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ahhhhh, I'm so glad you liked it! I'll be sure to take care of those bugs and such when I get the chance. To be honest, I was really worried about the writing and storyline since that's not really my strong point, but people seem to like it, so I'm happy :D

And yes, both Eric and Aqua were voiced by the same person: me. I would've voiced the old woman and the little girl as well, but I didn't have enough time to record their lines.

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  4. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Slime Heart has been updated to v1.01!

Thanks to Makio-Kuta for their input!

5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Also posted on your game page at the contest:

Gave this a try because of a couple of recommendations, here's my take:

I like the premise its different, uses the theme and even makes the rtp feel a little fresh again in its own strange way. The voice acting was a nice touch but you could tell the same person was doing both voices something that's a little odd in my opinion; especially since one character eric is a male and the other Aqua is supposedly female. I like your artwork in the game as well, always something that can instantly give a game its own identity and feel even when using the rtp.

Suggestions for improvement:

-While your artwork is a nice touch it is noticeably different from the rtp faces, you probably should have done the faces as well for the characters so it would all be cohesive; something that is important for a game.

-Something I noticed on ending two; Aqua doesn't seem to run into the door to leave, she actually appears to run onto a ceiling.

-I played this game twice and got the same ending; Idk I felt a little unfulfilled by this game. I'm not sure how much better I could have played in the slime forest mini-game which seems crucial to doing well in the ending. Maybe I could have done better with more practice or more time to get used to it, 6 days felt a little too short in this game. It feels just as short gameplay wise, Idk 20 minutes?

-For how small some of your maps were it seems like there could have been more detail in them.

-Maybe more ending variations could be had; like rather than 4 bad and 1 good there could be endings with more gray to them. Out of curiosity what does one have to do to get the other endings, because I only achieved ending 2 in my time.

-Cutting the users slime points in half for losing seems way to harsh especially with the limited number of days.

Over all I like the idea here but I didn't particularly enjoy my time with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  6. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the critique, Vox! I updated the game a few days ago to improve upon some of the maps, that bug in ending 2, and made it so the penalty for getting eaten in the forest isn't so severe. I hope you consider looking into the improved version.

As for getting the best ending, you need at least 200 Love Points. I may lower the amount needed in a future update.

7. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wasn't aware of this, don't remember when I actually downloaded the game file; maybe I'll check it out again in a bit. 

Also "pro-tip" as far as the art goes when short on time, you already made aqua and Eric's faces in your artwork all you had to do was copy and paste it into a new file, change some expressions slightly if you wanted and rotate it to fit (depending on which image you were using). You would have had the perfect faces in your style and just would have had to reduce the size. All that would have been left is the girl and the old woman, who you arguably could have left a face out for anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  8. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright, thanks for the tip!

9. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How did I not see this before!? The premise and your art looks wonderful!

I'll play soon. :p

PKLpikachu likes this.
  10. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am not through yet, but I really enjoyed it so far. The voice acting is really nice and also all the graphics you did. In my opinion this game deserves more votes but I understand that it is hard for the voters to play all the games and decide which deserves a vote and which doesn't... anyway, you got mine and I hope you keep up the good work.

11. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks, felsenstern!

12. JeffPAWA

JeffPAWA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hey there PKL!

So, i really liked what you did it's super original also here, a playthrough just for you!....and all the internet :p

BTW, when i was filming this I was super tired so yeah...«quality» stuff!

Just in case you don't have the time to watch this here's a written thing!

Well i got to say i'm impressed and, like all the others before me said, i'm suprised there not an ocean of people talking about this, because it's awesome!

The mechanic works super well in the end i wasn't able to eat the red slime, i don't know why and I don't care much because I already had all the upgrades.

The story setting is cute and Aqua is super adorable.

The ending is «wierd» at least mine is i don't know if it's the best one but hey! they're in love so that's all good right?

I don't have much more to say, great job there keep on the good work!

13. Laneykins

Laneykins Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    What is not to like?

14. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks so much for the video and review, Jeff! I'm really glad you enjoyed my game. So far, I think you're the only player who's gotten the best ending xDDD At least I know it isn't impossible to get lol But again, thank you so much!

15. JeffPAWA

JeffPAWA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    yeah! I'm special! and also you're welcome!

PKLpikachu likes this.
  16. mizu

mizu Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I was apprehensive of this game at first because of the 'lovey' concept but was ultimately drawn in to try it because it looked short and the custom art.  Games with custom art just lure me in like an unguarded basket of chicken tenders.  I started playing it and actually found myself enjoying it.  I liked the little mini-game that I had to play every day and I found myself enjoying the dialog between the two characters.  Until I reached the end.  I played through the game twice and found the second time far more frustrating.  Because this time I now guessed that this was a time limited game.  Realizing that I only had seven days to complete the game, I lost almost all my enjoyment and found myself just making a mad dash to gain as many points as possible.  Every second I wasted with a mistake in the mini-game was agony and I found myself too hesitant to experiment with my interactions with the boy.  Needless to say I'm not very fond of time limited games, but other than that, this was a surprisingly enjoyable game the first time around.

I'm also really wanting to create a game very similar to this as my own very first game because I did like this game so much.  I hope you won't mind if I do and give you credit for inspiring me.

17. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm glad you liked the game at least for a little while, mizu! And it would be awesome if you credited me for giving you inspiration. Good luck with making your first game! If you need any help with it, feel free to send me a message.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  18. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When i played your game was the first time i see that mechanic of eat others slims, was pretty funny  :)

PKLpikachu likes this.
  19. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Slime Heart has been upgraded to v2.0.0! A new romance route and some new features have been added!

Artificer and Frogboy like this.
  20. PKLpikachu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Slime Heart has been upgraded to v2.0.1! A few bugs were fixed!