RMMV [IGMC 2017] Carpentry Story

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by fizzly, Nov 11, 2017.

1. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This topic was created for #ICGM2017, but it's over.
    Please visit Carpentry Story topic >HERE<

[​IMG]
    STORY
    Make furniture and save town! Will your grandpa's dream come true?

CHARACTER
    [​IMG]

FEATURES
    • Fix houses
    • Meet new villagers
    • Chop trees
    • Make furniture
    • Save town!
    SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD

Please download always from my Dropbox account, this file is always up-to-date version of Carpentry Story.

>>>DOWNLOAD CARPENTRY STORY 1.3

CREDITS

*SPECIAL THANKS TO
    Masta

*GRAPHICS
    bis1994 (I love your charas!!)
    Celliana
    Avy
    PandaMaru

*PLUGINS
    Yanfly
    SumRndmDde
    Hudell
    Izyees Fariz
    Estriole
    Hime
    Moghunter
    Galv
    Modern Algebra
    TinyMine
    Iavra
    waynee95
    qweluke
    and more...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Selviam

Selviam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks really fun and i love the graphics

fizzly likes this.
  3. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Please re-download new version, fixed another minor bug and added music! And thanks for comment :kaoluv:

Selviam likes this.
  4. Selviam

Selviam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wanna ask how do you make the items show up in the world when you cut down trees and how did you make the train move and how do you make the tree move when you chop it.
    (I'm new so these may be dumb questions.)

5. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Selviam Wood that shows up after chopping trees are just "picture" commands. They show up random around tree and goes to player position, then dissappears. Train is just a character with movement. Falling trees are battle animations that shows up on event.

6. Selviam

Selviam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ooohhh thx!:kaojoy:

7. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First of all- this is the first time "Grandpa's dream" didn't involve farming that I know of. Thanks for your originality! And second- I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I can't make a bed. It's probably a good idea to show players what they're missing so they don't throw down their controllers in disgust.

Who knows, maybe your project will launch the "trade game" genre... time will tell.

fizzly likes this.
  8. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for your support!
    Did you tried recipe that you found? You can see recipe on workbench, then you need to recreate it on grid in your workshop and pull the lewer.

9. Tigersong

First Language:
    English
    Okay, how do I "recreate it on the grid"? I think I understand... though I'm not sure what the object in the middle is or where to get it.

It wouldn't hurt to have the old lady say, "I left some old bedding upstairs", or something.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It works like this. Treat recipe window as a grid pattern.
    Then recreate it on workshop grid (you need to gather materials first), then push lewer.

Thanks for suggestion! I'll implement this in new version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. Tigersong

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome, Fizzly! This seems like a promising title. Just one thing- I'd like the option to not rearrange the furniture in my house (even if I want to know how you did that).

12. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for that idea. Also will be implemented, then.

13. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bump: I did title artwork for Carpentry Story. Also check new version with loooot of bug fixes. Thanks.

14. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I'm playing through the IgmC titles, and Carpentry Story is my favourite so far. Awesome job! I would love a tutorial from you on how you made the gathering system to feel like the one in stardew valley!

Selviam and fizzly like this.
  15. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks you so much @mardin ! I'm working on huge update, so please check this topic soon if you liked Carpentry Story. Gathering system is made with event pages and "custom page codition" plugin by HimeWorks. In the latest version I'm working on was an optimized script for crafting grid (thanks to my friend), but most of game systems are just evented. Tell me what do you want (I mean this tutorial) and I'll try to help you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  16. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    It looks like every time I ask for advice, the answer is always "oh, it's just done with eventing", and I don't have a clue how it's done :D.

Your gathering system looks brilliant, and is something unique. I can imagine it's quite a lot of work but I don't have the slightest idea how it's done. I know a tutorial is very much to ask, but since you asked what I want: I want a tutorial thread where you explain step by step how you did this gathering system ;).

But you don't have to. I have to say even playing your game made me think how much one can still do with rpg maker mv!

fizzly likes this.
  17. Kyattchan

Kyattchan The Lurker Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I was a bit disappointed with the initial version of the game that you put in itch.io, but today I finally had some time so I decided to give version 1.3 a try! And no regrets here! I'm so in love with the mechanics of this game! There's a lot of room for improvements but I'm really liking what I've seen in the game so far.
    I look forward to finding out what else you have planned for us in future versions (like that building that isn't available yet!!)

The good stuff: It was beautiful to slowly see the people coming back to the village all due to the repairs we did in their buildings and our character being able to make more and more types of furniture! I also liked that even after the building owners came back we could still help them, now by making them furniture to make their stores more lively! I thought the scheme used for the plans were clever too (like the way we had to set the planks and the bedding in the platform to make the bed or the spinning wheel later on haha).

The not so good stuff: The story progression needs some improvement. I would like to see the story progressing in a more smooth way.. I felt the events happened a bit too randomly. Maybe give some hints to which shops we should start by. For example, I was able to repair all buildings but by the point I stopped playing (with over 1 hour in game) I still haven't seen the flower shop owner, whoever was to manage the bakery or the church. To add to this, I would have liked to see people outside walking in the village too.. everything looks so empty.. even with almost all the shops in the village open.. it's like a ghost town, you know? >_<

One question I have too is about our home. Is there a way to decorate it? I kept looking around to see if there was a way to replace the stool by the table or to put anything in the house but I couldn't find a way.. :p

Some more suggestions: I think you should set a limit to how many furniture we can make to the shops or state in their requests exactly how many they need in some cases. Like with the request of the bar, where the guy tells you exactly how many tables and stools he needs.
    My point for this being that, for example, I did a bunch of beds for the inn (like 8 I think) because I just wanted to see the room upstairs finished and apparently even after there's 8 beds she still needs more?! :o lol And then exactly the opposite with the spinning wheel. I had already done a bunch of beds and bookshelves so I went with the same thing and did 3 spinning wheels thinking it was a nice start to fill the tailor shop.. but nope. She only accepted 1 spinning wheel and now I got 2 more that I can't find a way to sell >_<
    I think the furniture workshop is pretty awesome, but it could also go with some improvements. Maybe for those that are already more advanced in the game. I would like to see an option in there to make more than one piece at the time eventually. Before I quit the game I was counting how many bookshelves and planks I would still need to finish the library.. 8 shelves and so 56 planks... omg.. this means way too many presses of the the space bar.. it's too repetitive and well it makes things a bit boring.
    I think you should just make this part of the gameplay more interesting. One random suggestion I can put out there would be, for example, if our character had reached a certain number of planks, when they used lumber next time they would have the option to use 2 lumber to make 6 planks instead of the usual 1 for 3. Same with furniture.
    Maybe add some achievements in the stats page so that the player had some sort of benefits depending on their way of playing the game. All this are just suggestions of course.

fizzly likes this.
  18. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kyattchan Thank you so much for giving another try to Carpentry Story!:kaoluv:
    And for contructive pros and cons. I would love to implement some of your suggestions in game. Also I'll do update log for another version and I'll point some things that would be implemented later, like that closed shop you mentioned. House decoration was implemented but yet, still so buggy so actually you can't do that. I'll definitely try to implement it later, it was one from main ideas to use your own furniture to decorate your house! Also, inn-lady is a greedy woman.... just kiddin', it is a bug then if she want's more than 8 ^^; Thanks for pointing that out. About making "more than one" plank/etc. I already have solution for that but let it be a surprise :kaopride:
    Thank you so much for playing the game!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Kyattchan likes this.
  19. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Can I close this topic? I've created new one in "Games in Development". Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018