RMMV [IGMC 2017] Eremiel - Source project now available!

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Frogboy, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    EremielCover.png
    Synopsis

According to Hebrew apocrypha, Eremiel is the angel who guards over the entrance to the Abyss where all souls travel after they leave this world. After a short time down there, they give penance for their sins and emerge through the gate where they are greeted by Eremiel who guides their way to Heaven. One day, the gate goes quiet. Many souls who should have come through are nowhere to be found. Eremiel enters the Abyss in search of the lost souls and finds a sinister plan in motion.

Eremiel is an action-adventure game made with RPG Maker MV. It plays better with a gamepad but can still be enjoyable with the standard keyboard controls. Get ready to blast your way through the Abyss, collect power ups and upgrade your weapon and armor. Fight wicked demon bosses in order to find out what they're scheming.

snap5.png

Feature Highlights

• Action combat, no battle screens.
    • Enemies drop power ups like fireballs that explode on impact and thunder that fires in all directions.
    • Different types of on-map enemies that have their own abilities and properties.
    • A more personal story ties in with main plot and is revealed to you in a series of flashbacks throughout the game.
    • Upgradable attack and defense. Your basic attack starts out weak but by the end of the game is about on part with the power ups.
    • Enemy bosses with their own movement and attack patterns.

Playtime is a little over an hour. This game was originally made for IGMC 2017. Thanks for playing!

snap1.png

Things I've updated due to feedback I've received thus far
    • The biggest problem my original version had was early pacing. I made the first area a lot smaller and give out more money now so that you can actually get more than just the one weakest upgrade from the shop now.
    • With the exception of slimes and ghosts, it was very hard to distinguish between the stronger and weaker enemies of the same types. Most of the enemies now follow the convention of blue being the weakest, green being in-between and red being the strongest. If you happened to play my IGMC version, I swapped the yellow eyed and blue eyed ghosts. I tried out green for the medium powered ghosts but it was just too hard to tell the difference between green and the blue.
    • All of the souls now have their own character graphics and the ones that talk to you have their own face graphics. Almost all of them say their own unique thing when you free them or they don't say anything at all. The ones that don't talk, mostly later in the game, are just immediately freed and drop money without interrupting gameplay.
    • New dash stamina mechanic added. Yay! I dumped the Speed power up and now let you use the standard dash controls except that you have a dash stamina bar that wears down as you run and builds back up when you are walking. This gives you a lot more control over your character's movement and makes combat much nicer as you can quickly sprint into position to line up your shots. It also allows you to get out of trouble when needed and cover more ground when no enemies are around.
    • I mixed up the money drops from freeing souls a bit. All of the maps have at least one soul that will drop a larger amount than is typical for that map to make it more rewarding to seek them out.
    • I lowered Eremiel's max HP to 15 and added a mini-quest in the first half of the game that bumps you back up to 20 if you take the time to explore and complete it.
    • Added a new surprise mini-boss.
    • Fixed the broken doors for the most part. I did encounter one occasion the game just glitched out and didn't auto-run correctly.
    • Along with the visible dash bar, there is also a Power Up bar that lets you know how much longer your Fire, Ice, Thunder or Star will last before running out.
    • I now let you shoot your holy blast and dash in the first [safe] area so you can get a feel for the controls before wandering into danger.
    • I got rid of the default MadeWithMV splash screen plug-in as it appears to be horribly broken at this time. There shouldn't be any performance issues any longer.
    • Lots of small tweaks and bits of polish that aren't worth mentioning individually.
    Version 1.2
    • New collision detection system. It makes the game a little more processor intensive but I'm still able to run it on a couple of very low-end machines without a lot of increase in lag. If you have a decent computer, I'm hoping it'll still run lag-free.
    Version 1.3
    • Added some more detail to the mapping. I can't make them smaller, though, because this is an action game. You need the room to run around in and dodge enemies and such. If there's anything else I can do to make these maps look better, let me know.
    • Adjusted some of the sound levels. Trying to balance the music with the weapon effects.
    • Changed a few music tracks.
    • Added a difficulty setting. Easy adds in extra save points so you can save and heal up before every boss encounter. Normal stayed the same and Insane mode takes away the healing at save points which means the only way to restore HP is through power up drops.
    • Fixed a couple of bugs.
    Version 1.4
    • Introduced a bug in 1.3 that made the mini-boss invincible. Fixed.
    Version 1.5
    • Added a sound effect and screen shake when you get hit.
    • New custom icon file.
    • Added more polish to both the game and the itch.io page where the updated game is now being hosted.
    • Fixed several bugs.
    snap2.png

Thank you so much for checking this out! I can't wait to get more advice on how to improve this title.

snap4.png

Download for Windows and Linux

See page two of this thread for the source project download.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Kuwabara Germinal

Kuwabara Germinal Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool game, i saw it on driftwood sometime ago, i dont know if you improved it or driftwood was having trouble playing, but he make the game looks complicated, but playing it now i liked it, moving and shooting is really smooth. The only problem i have was in understanding the slimes attacks, the water sound dont give an idea of impact and damage

Frogboy likes this.
  3. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good point! You're the first to bring this up. I'm working on improving the touch hit detection and will make sure that I make taking damage here more obvious.

Did you make it farther than Drifty did? I shortened the first area to try to help the early pacing problem I had but haven't gotten any feedback yet on whether it's good yet or if I need to play around with it more.

Thanks for checking this out! I'm glad you liked it.

Edit: I made quite a few improvements. I listed most of them near the bottom of the original post. Drifty only got to see maybe 15% of the game, though, so there's a lot there that most haven't seen or played.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  4. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My list of bugs and things that could use more polish has been cleared away for the time being. Version 1.5 is now complete and I don't have anything left to add or tighten up unless I get more feedback from the community. I want to take this moment to thank everyone who has assisted me in improving this game and provided a ton of very useful feedback and tips to help make Eremiel the fun and exciting game that it currently is. It has come a long way since IGMC 2017 and I have all of you to thank. I couldn't have done it without you.

Kyuukon likes this.
  5. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! I already tried it out for few minutes and it's looking good. :D
    I wonder if I can play it in windowed mode?
    Some part of my laptop screen is kinda broken, so I can't see fullscreen properly.

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @EpicFILE
    F4 will toggle Full Screen mode on and off. There's also a Full Screen setting in the options menu that does this as well. Just so you know, F4 works with any game made with MV. And hey, thanks for checking this out!

EpicFILE likes this.
  7. SinのAria

SinのAria The Chaotic One Veteran

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I suppose I could maybe stream it tomorrow/today if it is currently in my list.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Frogboy likes this.
  8. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That would be sweet. If not, no problem, as I have no idea if it's in your list or not. When you say stream it, I'm assuming you mean on Discord? Do your streams end up anywhere else like on a YouTube channel or anything? If it's only on Discord, can you let me know roughly when so I can create an account and jump on? Actually seeing someone else play your game can be very helpful in spotting things that may need addressed not to mention the advice I'd get if you provide your thoughts as you are playing.

Thanks!

9. SinのAria

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It will be on youtube and I'll announce on discord a few minutes before. Had to delay it due to health reasons.

Edit: Planning to stream some more later once health issues clear up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Frogboy likes this.
  10. SinのAria

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, I'm finally I think well enough to do a bit of streaming.

Frogboy likes this.
  11. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, cool. I hope you are well now.

12. SinのAria

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  13. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, you're playing the IGMC version? Bummer. I've made a good number of fixes and improvements since then. If I'd have known that, I would have told you not to bother as I've likely already corrected most the issues you'll find. I kind of assumed that you were playing the current version since you asked me about it here. Sorry to waste your time.

14. SinのAria

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, your new version still has a few issues, but I'll try it later.

Frogboy likes this.
  15. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And once I know what those issues are, I'll be able to fix them. :smile:

Thanks!

16. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Tried this out of curiosity. Because you used name Eremiel which also similar with the name I'm using, Eremidia lol

I'm not sure if I have some constructive feedback, I usually have one in a project I played, but this one is just feels right. I was about to comment the projectile speed being too slow, then I noticed you can upgrade it in shop. After grind money a bit, managed to buy the upgrade, and it feels okay now.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I managed to beat the first boss and proceed to the three direction dungeon(?). Entered the middle, and it feels so long that I see no save point at all. At the point I've amassed enough money, and thought next door most likely gonna be the next boss, I ended up back tracking for a sake of save point because I don't want all my money get wasted and load into previous save file.

Also, I found something funny. Idk what was causing it though
    [​IMG]

Frogboy likes this.
  17. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The second area is set up a but different from the others. The left and middle doors are both dead ends but there's a nice little side quest there that gives you one of the best rewards in the game when you complete it. It also let's you build up money and get some useful lore. The layout makes it so that you keep coming back out by the shop and can upgrade your gear, heal up and save.

The bug you found is the monsters attacking another event. I had to tag most if the events to make it so the attack animation doesn't go off but I must have missed one. It's probably the save point that is only there in Easy mode causing the issue. That a newer addition to the game which is probably how I missed it. I'll make sure I fix that in my next update. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's funny you mentioned your game Eremidia. I've had to do a double-take a couple of time while browsing through the new posts forum and seeing your thread. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for playing my game and giving me some feedback. I appreciate it.

18. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If so then you have designed it well. I just had a confusion from a tip that said "you may backtrack, but you would be better to keep moving forward". Like, am I doing the right thing?

For the record, I'm playing normal difficulty. Does it mean playing in easy difficulty give you more save point, eh?
    Good luck fixing it

19. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just meant that tip to mean that once you complete an area, you won't need to go back to it. I wanted to leave the option open in case you wanted to or you missed something and wanted to back for it. There's never a point where you have to travel backwards through areas you've completed in order to progress.

Yes, the only difference between easy, normal and insane is the save points. Easy provides extra save/heal points in front of boss rooms. Normal only gives you save/heal points inside of shops. And Insane is same as Normal except the save points no longer heal you. The random Heal power up drops are all you get. Insane mode is pretty much just there for me so that I can still be challenged. It's tough.

20. SinのAria

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Insane mode... challenge?

Frogboy likes this.