It is definitely challenging, especially if you don't know what lies ahead. Its not recommended for a first playthrough although it's not impossible, either. But if you think you're up for the challenge, go for it.
Several curious game developers have been inquiring about turning Galv's Map Projectiles into an action battle system which is how I made Eremiel. Also, no one has commented or made any suggestions for improvement for good while now so I think I'll call this one finished. So for anyone interested in how implemented anything, here is the entire project so you can open it up, nose around and see how created this game if you're curious or would like to learn anything from it. I did have to censor a small amount of commercial DLC but most of it was made with RTP. If you own Katakura Hibiki's Lords of Darkness, you can replace the censored files with your own.
Do not claim this project or anything mostly made from this project as your own.
Do not re-post this project anywhere.
If you learn a good amount from this and make something cool with this knowledge, let me know.
It's not required but I'd love to play your game if this inspired you
That's awesome you released this that way. I had another fellow dev from IGMC who had a groundbreaking system, gave me unfeathered access to his game for research puposes but it had to remain private due to custom assets. It's fantastic that people in this community keep "paying it forward" and helping each other for free. Kudos to you @Frogboy! Can't wait to see you again in competition in IGMC2018!
Hey, thanks! While my heavy use of RTP was probably this game's biggest criticism (once I was able to polish it up at least), at least that makes it easy to for me to share it and hopefully help others. I learned a lot from this project and might not have have been able get it working as well I did had it not been for my knowledge of programming and some of the techniques that come with that knowledge. The community helped a lot too. It wouldn't be as good a game without you guys. Even with all that, I never did figure out how to solve the stupid bug where some enemy's images fail to turn into crystals or power ups when they die. I hope the source for this can help some devs create the game they're wanting to make and save them some headaches. At this point in its life, I feel that sharing the source gives it some extra value as it doesn't really have much left in its purely game form.