RMXP [IGMC 2017] Once Upon A Spirit

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Lucy Fox, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Lucy Fox

Lucy Fox Chosen Undead Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    [​IMG]

“We were out in the fields, collecting some food for the winter, when a crow attacked us and spooked my child so much, its soul escaped its body and clung itself to the bird!”

Story

You play as a mouse, whose kid's soul was stolen by a crow. A strange ghostly voice gives you the ability to switch into the spirit realm.

Gameplay

Visit some creepy places no one but you can see and solve some Point n Click like puzzles to finally reach the crow's nest.

Features

• every of your interactions is at least slightly animated
    • hand painted environments
    • switch between two different dimensions

The current playtime is about 30 minutes and it has a very open ending. Depending on the overall feedback I may continue this project, after the contest.

Screenshots

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Download
    V. 1.3 IGMC Version
    In case you like the game, I would be super happy about a vote! >w<

2. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello Lucy, this is quite a charming game! I wish it were longer.

I echo what others said in that the graphics are absolutely stunning. The opening blew me away. How did you even do that?
    I quite liked the story and, without spoiling for other players, the protagonist's "Why me?" dilemma. It does make one think if one were called upon to save the world, how much would one be willing to sacrifice?

I think what could be improved in the future are mainly these controls:
    1. You must hit esc twice to save. It's simple once you figure it out, but I could not till you told me. :p
    2. You must "equip" an item again to turn your holding item to "empty". This took me the longest time to figure out. It's when I had boat shard and clover and could not find a way to progress. It was only when I accidentally turned the holding to empty did I read the book and continued.

Anyways, good game! I hope you continue with this story (unless I got a bad end? I don't think I did.). Regardless, you have my vote!

3. Lucy Fox

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it so far. :LZScat:
    I think I will seperate the item equip and the main menu in an future update. That should make it way better to controll.
    For the unequip... there is a tutorial when you pick up the first item, that tells you what to do. ;P
    I'm also not sure how this could be made better... an extra button for it would just complicate everything... (I'm open for suggestions :3 )

And it only has one ending so far... I'd see it as some kind of Chapter 1 or so? I don't know. xD
    Thanks for playing and voting. :LZSlol:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lucy Fox For unequip I don’t think you need to change the controls but I suggest you simply add a ‘Help’ reminder button somewhere. Players often read quite fast and forget what they read even if you spell it out for them, so it’s risky if you only teach them once. Believe me this happens to my games all the time (But I told you this before already! XD). Players (including ourselves) are often forgetful.

5. Lucy Fox

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hm, that's a good idea. I could just put a reminder somewhere into the menu itself...
    Thanks. :3