RMMV [IGMC 2017] Starfall

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by chaucer, Nov 7, 2017.

1. chaucer

chaucer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Story :
    Follow a young Star Seeker named Atlus to a distant planet to collect fallen stars.
    The world is treacherous and filled with Golems, statue-like creatures that are not fond of outsiders.
    With the half encouraging words of Maia in your ear, who sits million of light-years away, join Atlus as he seeks out these fallen stars.

Features :
    • Action Platformer
    • Challenging bosses
    • Character upgrades

Team Members :
    Chaucer
    Beenbaba

Credits :
    Yanfly - YEP_GabWindow, YEP_MessageCore & YEP_X_ExtMesPack1
    MOGHunter - MOG_CharParticles & MOG_Weather_EX
    Scythuz - Action and Battle Themes & Dungeon Music Pack
    Beenbada - Pixel Art
    Chaucer - Programming

Screenshots :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download :
    itch.io page

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Mister Kent and Ally like this.
  2. Ally

Ally Linked Rooms Games Founder - Fleshforward

First Language:
    Italy
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Amazing!
    This is a very first incredible platform created with RMMV!

beenbaba likes this.
  3. chaucer

chaucer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the reply brother, I've been a bit busy, so I didn't have time to respond till now ^^; But I appreciate the compliment, I hope others will enjoy our game as well. :D

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Had a chance to play it today, a few thoughts in the spoiler:

Pros:
    -Haven't seen a platformer in MV before, how did you do that?
    -Character dialogue is nice.

Cons/Suggestions for improvement:
    -As soon as I get a skill or ability I'm immediately expected to be a master at it to proceed. For example, getting dash and expecting the player to have dash jump already mastered (miss by a hair, fall to your death) on the very NEXT jump is not a good idea. Or get wall jump then expect the player to be able to immediately handle walls + spikes, and miss by one pixel, you're dead. I'd highly suggest easing the player into the skills, as right now what you have is set up for platforming masters only, the rest of the players are going to rage quit by level 2.

Overall: 3/5. Good ideas are present here, too difficult though for any but those who can play Contra in their sleep to have a chance to finish. With some balance fixes and better easing of players into their skills (and less pixel precision platforming) could be a great game.

beenbaba and chaucer like this.
  5. chaucer

chaucer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the feedback brother :D I apreciate you taking time to try out the game, and all feedback is definitely valuable.

I wrote the platformer plugin myself, it's actually something I'm intending on releasing publicly, as well as a more unique pixel movement script here once i get them both cleaned up and polished. :D

I really appreciate this kind of feedback, as I'm fairly new to level design, and this kind of criticism is definitely useful, I think this is partly due to two main factors.
    1) It's hard to judge how difficult something is when you're the one who built it and you know the in's and outs of it from the get go ^^;
    2) Some of these were just outright due to rushed development, I think we kinda rushed the entire development of the game, as around 80% of the time was spent writing code and doing the art/fixing bugs/tweaking artwork, and the last bit of our time was spent developing enemy, bosses, levels. We were originally intending on having longer stages, but it just wasn't going to happen with the little time we had left, so I tried to make the game as challenging as possible, without making it unfair. so I might have crammed too much into too small of a space. I'll be sure to learn from this though, and try to ease the player into their new abilities rather than forcing them to perform more challenging tasks right after getting them :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, it's hard to get balance down in a month. I entered the 2014 IGMC, and my players had a hard time hitting and killing bosses, even though I had no problem! So I had the same issue myself. I'm sure with 2 - 3 more months of testing/tweaking and getting more players to play it you'll find a nice middle ground.

chaucer likes this.
  7. motta

motta Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, i would love to take a look at the platform plugin! If you really happen to publish it, please tag me!
    Great game, dude!