RMMV [IGMC 2017] That Which Binds Us

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by MikomiKisomi, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MikomiKisomi

MikomiKisomi Actual Witch Miko Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Idris is a bonds man- a special bonds man. While most of his clients need to bail loved ones out of jail, a few are looking for a reprieve from someone they once knew. For Evalise, all she wanted was to get a bail bond for her boyfriend, when Idris surprised her with a simple but confusing question.

What if you could make him forget all about you?

Evalise's boyfriend has a bit of a wild side... and a bit of a knack for being caught. She arrives at a bail bonds place run by a man named Idris- however, while working out a bail bond, he springs a question about a different kind of bond- a memory bond. With his knife, he's able to sever any ties a person has with someone else, permanently, making the other person completely forget about his client. With one small cut, she'd be able to leave her not-so-great boyfriend behind and move on...

Evalise Adams
    [​IMG]

Our protagonist, Evalise. She's 26 and works a regular retail job with a not-so-regular boyfriend who's a repeat petty criminal. Eva isn't the bad girl type, so her friends don't see why she's with him- but to her, it's just a matter of convenience. She was in a car wreck over a year prior to the start of the game, and ever since then her memory has been blurred and she's slowly distanced herself from her friends. So, finding any kind of person who'd show her a bit of comfort- even at the price of having to bail him out of jail a few times- was worth it to her.

Idris Whitcher
    [​IMG]

Idris is a bonds dealer who also runs a lesser-known side business of severing the bonds people have with others. He's 28 and likes seeing movies the night they come out, playing with his shelter rescue labrador, and taking long walks on the beach- at least, that's what his dating profile reads. He takes an immediate interest in Evalise, but hasn't exactly tried the whole "dating" and "relationship" thing in a while.

...And many more characters in-game!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hello there, Miko speaking! This is my first IGMC, and due to IRL stuff and other things I could only start this project on around the 26th of October, so I only got the demo released despite having the dialogue written for the entire thing (around 8k words long). I plan on expanding and finishing this after the judging is over, though! All my progress and updates on the game can be found on the Itch.io page and my devlog for it, both linked below. I hope you guys enjoy this!

Art, Concept, Development, and Story: Me, Mikomi Kisomi
    Plugins: TDD and yanfly
    Music and Sound Effect: Degica

Links:

2. MikomiKisomi

MikomiKisomi Actual Witch Miko Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That Which Binds Us is almost at 50 downloads! Thank you to everyone who's played the download or the browser versions! I will be finishing this game after the judging period is over, so feel free to send any feedback you have my way.

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That Which Binds Us is, I believe, my first experience with a Visual Novel. As such, the focus is entirely on the characters and the story. This game has a lot of potential. It's only a short demo at the moment so unfortunately, you don't get to see the characters develop very far and the story remains shrouded in mystery.

From what is here, I can say that the main plot-line is very intriguing. The whole "forgetting someone" theme could lead to some really great, and most likely heartbreaking, story arcs. The custom artwork is nice and does a good job at conveying the attitudes and emotions of the characters. I felt like I was just starting to get to know them right before the demo ended.

While the demo is short and there is just not quite enough yet to really get you attached, it's certainly enough to get you interested in seeing where the story and the characters are going to develop from here. There's a lot of different directions that this could go and I'm definitely curious to see how it plays out when this game is finished.

Great work on what you've got so far! I will keep my eye on this one.

MikomiKisomi likes this.