RMVXA [IGMC 2017] The Last Boarding Call

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by schlitty, Dec 2, 2017.

1. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A bit late to the thread posting party...

Good, bad, happy, or sad; Feel free to leave me some critiques and thoughts here or on itch. It's a short one depending on your reading speed (15~30+ minutes) and a complete/finished story. But to be clear; Unfortunately that's about all it is. Reading. And second warning; First game ever! Run for your life! But while I enjoy selling it short, I'll toot my horn a little and say that it should be an interesting enough story. And everybody's playthrough should be at least slightly unique from one another (many characters vs limited choices to interact, most have branching convos with multiple outcomes, multiple endings, and maybe even an Easter egg or two).

The Last Boarding Call;

One in five people are getting tickets to leave Earth and survive her imminent destruction. You, and your small family, do not have a ticket(s). Yet. You've secured an invitation to fancy dinner with some of the movers, shakers, and ticket holders of the world. Use branching, non-linear conversations to try to win some favors with these people and secure some ticket(s). Good luck.

https://schlitty.itch.io/the-last-boarding-call-igmc2017

Game: Me
    Programs: RPG Maker VX Ace, Game Character Hub, Twine, Notepad, MSPaint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archeia likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I enjoyed this game especially the twist. I hope you can expand on it later. And make it somewhat like a full visual novel.

schlitty likes this.
  3. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My waifu and child died :kaodes:

I survived D:

schlitty likes this.
  4. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed yourself. I definitely had a bigger scope to it when it first danced around in my head but at the same time I was going for something short and sweet to assist myself in finishing. Facial/emotional reactions and a more visual novel style was one of my original goals but beyond MSPaint, my art abilities only went so far. So it ended up very entry level in that regard. Either way, it being basic and all, I developed a new hobby with only room to grow.

Oh man. That's pretty much the roughest outcome there is! But at the same time I'm 'excited' to hear somebody end up there. I didn't have any playtesters so every time I hear of a different outcome its interesting. That's a particularly brutal one because you did all sorts of "bad" favors to get the tickets. But you did it for "good" to save your family. Only to have that ending... Quite the conundrum!

Thanks for playing!

Kyuukon likes this.
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'd love to see the "Full" story sometime even in Twine form. Also...
    The ending I got is after I failed to get into the ship, I just went home and let the world protest against itself

schlitty likes this.
  6. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good to hear. That's the one I consider the "good ending" or "my ending" as its what path I'd like to think I'd take. But of course I had the benefit of knowing the outcome so we'll never know! Haha. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at people going that route. I guess it wasn't as easy to sneakily convince people to do immoral favors as I thought it would be!

As for the "full" story, its all just still dancing around in the ol' head for now. Tons of ideas but I got out what would make sense in a game setting. Well, a game setting I was capable of making any way, haha. I'm fairly content with what I managed though. Even though its short, its a begining-middle-end. It was a fun month.

7. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One last little thread bump before the Jam winds down and this all fades into the oblivion that is the internet forever.

Big thanks to anybody who has played already. And those who have left feedback here or on itch. Hoping for one or two more thoughts on it as "putting myself out there" was my only real goal in entering. Its a short one for anybody looking to try a couple more in the last few days. Thanks again.

8. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks to everybody who played my little story. And more thanks to people who left criticisms and feedback as that's all I was looking for being my first experience with RPGMaker/making something at all. Kind of hoped more than one judge would leave feedback. Though I understand the logistics are a bit much, that indeed was a little bit of a deflating experience after the wait. Was hoping for some more, well, judging. Heh. But anywho, no more losing sleep over knowing people are reading typos in the game at least! Glad its over and time for it to fade away.

Was an interesting experience all around for sure. Thanks to the hosts. Perhaps I will meet you again some day down the road RPG Maker.

Congrats to everybody who participated in earnest, you made something! And as it turns out, that's pretty neat to do.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017