IGMC and November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone! Since an IGMC has been announced which starts on October 29th, and that is close to the end of October and start of November, I figured I would post the progress thread a little early. Below is the official information on the IGMC if you are interested.

Official Youtube Video for the IGMC:

Official Itch.io page with rules and information:

https://itch.io/jam/igmc2018

Post here your goals/plans for the month, even if you are not doing the IGMC, as well as your progress. Though be advised if you are doing the IGMC you CANNOT start your project until October 29th, 2 am Pacific Standard Time, else your project can be disqualified.

2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    FIRST~! Uh I meant this is fantastic news! I will look at this and see what the theme is.

ADDENDUM;
    Oh my! November too? o_O I wanted the NaNoWriMo challenge but this contest even if I might not entry pulls me. *Grumbles something at the bug living under the SHIFT key of my keyboard*

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Artificer and Marsigne like this.
  3. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal for November is to crush the competition and cash in the prize money as pennies and dive into it like Scrooge Mcduck.

No for real, make the best game that I can make in a month. Good luck everybody.

4. hadecynn

hadecynn Abyss of Oblivion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here we go again! Time to start dusting off ideas and go play last year's winning entries to get back into the groove!

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Question though it mentioned hour long prototypes in my emails. Does it have to have super nice graphics or just an hour long game covering mechanics and the idea.

Marsigne likes this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Xenphir : All the winners in the past years had good graphics too. In theory with the scoring set up the way it is, you could win without it, but in reality I've never seen a game win on just mechanics and idea yet.

Marsigne likes this.
  7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just had to get that out.

Time again for the yearly torture exciting contest.

Just when I was musing about how maybe we shouldn't have one this year BAM! They start it. Am I psychic or what?
    Honestly this comes at a time when massive RL work will severely limit the amount of free time I'll have to put into it this year, but hey I'm joining anyway! Cause it's now a yearly tradition. It'll just feel wrong not to.

Well, absolutely nothing in my brain right now as to what kinda game to make. Will think of something.

Marsigne likes this.
  8. Xenphir

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It would just be hard to make a game in just a month when you can't start until the 29th, with beautiful graphics. Do you mean like really well-done handmake pixel graphics, or do you think it's possible with things like FSM DLC and stock assests found in the resource section of the forums?

Marsigne likes this.
  9. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've got an idea for a game I've been wanting to do for a while, and this is the perfect opportunity to start on it. What scares me though is this:

Art and music are my weaker areas. My art is better than it used to be, but I'm still worried because my process in making art feels painfully slow. So I'm wondering how much game I can make with "passable" art, because I need about an hour of content. I may need to cut a few corners in other areas to make this work. What kills me is that I wanted to include some custom programming elements, but I don't think I can do that in addition to the custom art in a month...

I guess the best plan is to focus on what I need to make the game work, then add the other elements later on after the jam.

Marsigne likes this.
  10. Xenphir

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah that's what I'm going to do methinks. I'm going to make the entire game in just the default maker still using stock assets I own though. Then go back and parallax and add lighting later I think. I figure if I make a good enough prototype and even if it doesn't win, I can make it better and then put it on kickstarter maybe.

Good luck to everyone! Lets all have fun finishing our games! I can't wait to start! Guess while I wait for the contest to start I can think about characters and story in my head.

Marsigne likes this.
  11. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've actually been toying with this idea for a more modern take of Sweet Home on the NES. It's an horror turn-based RPG that pretty much started inspired, and defined Japanese Horror games. It's an interesting concept that I haven't seen anyone tackle and I always wanted to see if I could translate and improve on some of the aspects of it. Now's the best excuse to do it. I'm gonna map out some ideas and do some resource hunting for the weekend and get started first thing on Monday.

12. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've just finished a title, so time to see what I can do with crunch time. Starting with an empty notebook. Not even an idea yet, jotting down every game idea I can come up with ;)

Edit: I'm not afraid to make The Slime Farmer!

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Everyone please note!!!

This thread is for posting your goals and your progress on them. It is NOT for discussing the rules of the IGMC, what resources are allowed, what actions will bump up your chances of winning etc. I think it highly probable that once 29th arrives, there will be a thread for that.

Xenphir likes this.
  14. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My plan is to make a game that'll have unique aesthetic and thematic feel.

Marquise* and Xenphir like this.
  15. Xenphir

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was working on making a difficult heavily evented mechanic and it was a total dud. My goal is to start from scratch and make it work!

16. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woah, wait what? I thought that we weren't allowed to begin making the game yet?

17. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here are my IGMC Goals. I have my idea, just have to wait to begin. Sigh.

Marquise* likes this.
  18. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's happening!!!!!!!!!
    At last I am gonna release a game to seriously participate in an event.
    Thanks Degica, thanks staff, I always wait for such events with great anticipation!!!! :D

19. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't think I'll be joining IGMC proper, but I am thinking I'll use it as an excuse to try and be somewhat productive, whether that's towards a new project entirely or towards the project I was originally working on.

Basically, the goal is to -arg-ing finish something. Hopefully I'll be able to break that goal into more manageable chunks soon.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The hype is real! It's nice to see people getting excited by IGMC (and getting inspirations for their other projects even if they weren't planning to participate in the contest). Hopefully everyone will have a productive November!

I'm personally still trying to decide whether to participate in the contest or not. I've been talking with someone about a joint project, but I also have another idea in my mind - and my older project has been on the backburner for a while, which makes me feel a bit guilty. I will probably try to decide after I'm done with other things which require my more immediate attention (e.g. an upcoming LARP).

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.