lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good to see a lot of people are hard at work with the contest. Was about to work on something myself, but had too much on my plate with my own game.

Speaking of which, here's a new trailer for it:

Good luck on everyone's game! May your quality be high, your content wide, and all your bugs die.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a quick update with no screenshots I'm afraid. Nearly done with the cave, mostly technical stuff left. Moved on to working on smaller area maps off of the cave and working on the main city so I can start working on the game intro's cut scenes. Lot of mapping, lot of graphics that need to be done! Managed to program in quests for the game, so there is that! Creeping forward in the progress department but I'm getting there.

@Faye Valentine, Yes! The bridge does rise up out of the water using an animation sprite I had to customize. Seeing it go off flawlessly in my cut scene was a beauty, let me tell you. I still have work to do on it, such as animate water falling off of it, but I'm leaving that for later so I can work on other things. I am running an antilag script, just not Theo's. I have Victor's Anti-Lag installed because I'm using more of his scripts and wanted to keep any potential script conflicts to a minimum.

@Dezue, Aah! Senpai noticed me!

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L: I like that map's lighting, it makes it feel eerie. Subtle and soft, just on point. However, don't you think that perhaps the windowskin is just a bit too thick for being displayed above characters? Also I'd say the light coming from the outside at the door clashes with the overall lighting of the map. Just throwing some feedback though - anyways I like your work so far :)

@Guardinthena: well, that is beyond dope tbh. It always is rewarding when one's ideas come up to life, even in "little" things like this. And little often envolves hard work behind, and I'm sure you've had that with this haha. If you animate water falling off of it, that would be the killer. I love details such as those! bit by bit, details can add up to make your game wonderful. Also, I do not think Theo's has any issue with Victor's, unless you're using his pixel movement script - in that case you'll surely run into incompatibility.

Aha! Well, I'm going to leave something here real quick. More than feedback on the actual screenie, I'm looking off to see if the text on this one, well, makes any sense. Not about grammar and stuff, but like, it's a description of the character. For me, in Spanish did make sense - when I wrote it in English, well... I just hope it's not confusing.

But of course if you want to drop any comments on the screenshot it's much appreciated.

Untitled2.png

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got back to working on the story!
This is what I got done:
  • Story rework
  • Some indoor tiles
  • Scene 2 complete
Still got a lot to do, but hopefully I'll catch up!

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For today I mostly worked on mechanics (so no screenshots to show for it) though I did decide to just drop the idea of using busts for any of the characters. It was starting to get more tedious than it was worth (plus for most of the scenes where I was worried about getting emotion across I think my basic sprite editing could actually hold up on its own) Though I may have to add making custom balloon images to my list of things to get around to since the base ones annoy me after awhile (plus they look just a bit too boring)
Next week, I still have a few maps that I haven't quite started on and one system that's still a bit optional that I may add (I'll especially implement it if I still don't feel like the battle system works all that well. Hopefully if I do feel like using it, it won't take too long to make) And, of course connecting up the story, which I have various points completed (I'm not sure how long it is right now since it's a little hard to time the segments at this point)

Zelgadis85

IGMC 17/18 Entrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Here's a mockup of my game's battle UI (made in Paint.NET). What do you think? Some stuff is still missing, such as actor classes. Also, I'll be adding textures for borders of the screen and the backgrounds, of course, but I'd like to gather opinions. Is it clear enough what's going on, or should I add some elements to the game window?

BattleInterface-OurAdventure.png

Or should I just scrap the idea and go with default frontview battle? (sideview in this kind of game is not really an option)

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's a mockup of my game's battle UI (made in Paint.NET). What do you think? Some stuff is still missing, such as actor classes. Also, I'll be adding textures for borders of the screen and the backgrounds, of course, but I'd like to gather opinions. Is it clear enough what's going on, or should I add some elements to the game window?

Or should I just scrap the idea and go with default frontview battle? (sideview in this kind of game is not really an option)

Ehh I think that HUD is good enough. It's easily readable - though maybe the commands be a little bigger? could work, try it out.

hkoz_pi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
worked through the epilogue so far but I am confident I can make it :3

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Minor progress report:

-Fixed up a few typos I'd noticed watching videos of my game as I play it.
-Tweaked the SP costs to learn skills again. I did math to see how the change I made last time worked, and now even if you grinded to level 99 you couldn't learn every skill, which was not my intent. So I lowered the numbers a little.
-Added more items to the database for the next game. I now got 4 weapon types and 3 armor types running. Thankfully I was able to use most of the same weapons and armor as The Book of Shadows, but I had to change some of the tier names as they no longer made sense in this game.

That's all I have. Unfortunately Saturday is the only day I got for game making right now, and next weekend is our family Thanksgiving so I probably won't be able to game make again until Wednesday before Thanksgiving or so.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I was so drained from work these last few days that I decided to work on graphics instead of eventing. I've made a few changes to my map (still not done, so no point in showing it) and worked on finding sprites for my customers. Turns out (unsurprisingly) that there's not a lot of actual sprites around. Generator parts enough, but actual sprites... :( So I made a couple of edits myself, which took a lot more time than I thought it would.

Anyway here's the cast (sprites by me, whtdragon, Avery and Pandamaru):
cUJKi6S.png

Top row are the MCs: Florian and Florinella. You can choose as which one you want to play as and you'll be able to rename them (but why would you with such cool names :D)
Middle row are the customers: the normal NPCs, the witches, the tourists and the royals.
Bottom row are the fairytale customers: the Candy Witch, Dorothy, the Queen of the Hearts and Little Red Riding Hood.

I still need to make a sprite for the tutorial fairy. Haven't decided yet whether to go with the normal base or with Avery's smaller base.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Update 12

While at my parent house last night they story ot the game finally clicked fully into place. I’m not sure if the completed game (ie the one I’ll finish up later after Corruption) will be able to still be called a Witches Heart, but we’ll see, because I’ve realised the story is so much bigger than just this one part, and knowing that is… staggering…

I think if I planned it right it could become something amazing!

A Witches Heart I think may have to be Chapter 2 of the overall story, Chapter 1 will be the gathering of the Party (which we don’t have for the IGMC), and Chapter 3 on will take the story into a slightly different direction, and round the whole story off. I hope!

I’ve spent today finishing up the Kings Castle and starting the dialogue for the big scene at the end of the game, can’t seem to get it quite right. Also need to figure out how to do a battle at the end… but a battle doesn’t really fit with the ending.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Would it be a disappointment to anyone if you played a game with battles and then the ending doesn’t have a big boss battle?

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@P_Kun Nice team!
76vHqMk.png

@Faye Valentine Excuse me? Pigglet is a fully grown, manly pig man!
lLpdZvU.png

Jk, thank you very much!
@Guardinthena Hahahaha
0LH9lAK.png

@bgillisp Ooh, nice idea! Recording your own gameplay seems like a good way to get a new perspective.

Our Hot-House is finished! I hope to finish the restaurant (kinda the main hub for our game) tomorrow, as well.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm starting to think my intro to this game is too "epic" for what I know how to do in MV. I've been working on the same two screens for weeks now. I have a field where workers are supposed to be moving around picking stuff, but either they move around weird or they don't move at all. I have a horse-drawn wagon that goes up the screen and a message comes up along the side saying the place and date. Then the next screen is the same vehicle walking along a dirt road - I tried to get the plants that are being harvested to stand along the side of the road but their tile looks like it's floating in the air. While this is going on, I have the two people inside the wagon talking about where they're headed and what they're going to be doing. AND I'm trying to put credits in the sky above this scene. If I can ever get it to work right, it'll be awesome. XD LOL

I've also been working on the town map, which is also not coming out too well. I really wanted to use some of the large building tiles that came in the humble bundle, but they aren't individual tiles and so they just don't work too well for what I'm trying to do. And there's some parts that I want to use that I have no idea where they're supposed to go. I'm getting to the point now where I just want to slap something together and work on the storyline and dialogue and puzzles and all the FUN stuff, and just say screw it. If it's ugly, it's ugly.

David Lister

Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@mobiusclimber - Don't get lost in the weeds! You can always fix the details later!! Besides, without that cool story and dialog it won't matter. Maybe it's time to move to the "fun stuff" as you suggested. :D
@bgillisp - I'm always amazed at the number of typos (and just terrible grammar) in finished games, so kudos for doing the work now. I, for one, really appreciate attention to detail in this area... ...not to mention that it's difficult for some of us grammar Nazi's to take the dialog seriously if it's butchered throughout the game. (A good editor comes in handy!)
@Dezue - I get more interested in your games every time you post a screen shot. Every time I visit your web site, I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting myself into... ...though shades of Leisure Suit Larry come to mind. Then again, I could simply be showing my age. :p
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - Hey, even George Lucas started at Episode IV. ;) You can always extrapolate later!

Last edited:

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@David Lister - that's really good advice. I decided to work on the town bc of how slowly the work on the opening was going, and I think once I have the basics for it, I can get to working on the rest of the stuff. Having a full time job doesn't leave me with much time for graphics or anything like that. I just hope I can implement some of the ideas I have for this game in time for the deadline. But if not... well, there's always next time. And when I finally finish making this game, maybe it'll be closer to my actual vision for it than whatever weird demo I cobble together for the contest will be.

It's just really weird for me trying to do stuff in MV from having worked on games in FES. Yeah, you're severely limited in what you can do, but it's so much easier to actually make a decent game. Every time I think about mapping in MV, I just get this pit in the bottom of my stomach. "Oh you want to use that sprite from that tilesheet and that sprite from that other tilesheet? Guess you'll have to fire up another program, copy and paste the sprites you want, save it as a new tilesheet, and then set the passability for all the sprites!" Which reminds me... for some reason, you can walk over all the houses in the town map that I made. The passability isn't set that way, so I'm not even sure how I messed that up. ... Mapping in MV really makes me feel like a failure. I keep thinking there must be some sort of trick to it that other people know but I don't. I keep watching Youtube videos hoping something will click, but it never does.

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2: an interesting cast there. Majority of females - I like that!

@Dezue: That just looks neat man. Also, can we please make this
76vHqMk.png
an actual emote already? I actually lol'd at it, so cool
76vHqMk.png

Well, sorry to break Dezue's light-hearted mood, as much as I dig it, but I'll show ya'll another screenie of Heartland. Remember "ambience interactions"? Well, it happens that Heartland is one single map, of course if we let apart the dungeons and the shops. So, basically, the hamlet, the forest, the mines and the monolith are within one map. Now, the interesting part is that each important area has an ambience interaction when the player is near a range from it. When close to the lake, which by the way has a shape that of a heart (and is called Heartlake
76vHqMk.png
), the screen gets a bit darker, rain begins to fall, music is changed on the go, and well... this is basically it:

Untitled.png

And of course there's rainy sounds to improve the experience, as opposed to the windy sound when you walk through normal areas.

Edit: oh, and the lake has rain splashes all over it, not much seen on the screenshot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

…I think I might need to switch from standard ATK/DEF up/down buffs to parameter altering states. I just had an actor whose usual attack against an enemy does ~25 do a buffed attack against a debuffed enemy for ~600…
just saw that titan quest is free on steam until the 23rd
Zombie status is now complete. I didn't have to do much in the way of changing how healing is applied to undead targets, was just a simple 3 line code. I thought I had to overhaul Game_Action lol. Everything else was doable by events. So.. Zombie: You turn undead. Your element changes to darkness. You're weak to light, you're strong to physical attacks and healing hurts you and revival items will kill you.
My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RiyuDayo