l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2 No worries. I think I might have to check that plugin out as that's a feature I like having myself. lol

Well my catch up weekend has turned into a lot of sleeping. But I've at least managed get my maps finished and started changing dialogue based on the character's gender choice and who's currently in the party.
Also not liking the quest plugin I'm using so not sure whether to do away with it altogether and use the old fashioned RPG quests without a log or to find a new plugin. Either way, work work.

Last edited:

JazzGotBlues

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tbh I just started doing RPG Mv active again, so Imma just work on a fun project to get the hang of RPG Mv again and submit it for the heck of it, (Or maybe just to this community, but the date still stands) Having only 18 days of wich 6 you will be gone :/ Doesn't help.

It's every year right? That means I will just develop my skills for 1 full year then kill it next year )_( #highexpectations

Let me be amased ya'll

Deletrius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yep, I have one
Primarily Uses
Other
Belated goals for the month: finish the maps and sprites for an in-game opera house. this includes stage lifts to change the scenery within the performance, like this one:

Sesame shortened 2.gif
Had to significantly lower quality and cut out about 85 frames of the animation to be able to upload this here. Once I turn the whole thing into sprite(s), it will be much smoother. I will check if I used anything I can't release, if not, I will upload it as a resource, as it makes a good secet base/ Aladin's cave.

Then hopefully I will move straight into doing the cut scenes for the performance.

Last edited:

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow, everyone on here is soooo talented!!!!

@Faye Valentine - that lakeside is so evocative and beautiful. I'm in awe!
@l8rose - very cool mechanic and your town is looking pretty sweet.
@Deletrius - that's seriously amazing! I can't wait to see how you use it in your game.

I decided to write an outline of the plot for my game just to make sure I put in all the foreshadowing and whatnot that I need to... I tend to write as I go along bc generally that causes me to think of things and make connections that would take several passes of just writing to get to. Now I think the two protagonists are gonna end up on opposite sides of a civil war. I'm thinking maybe I'll give the player the option of which person to follow? Not sure yet.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Deletrius that is amazing! I want that! it's soo cool. You could do so much stuff! lol
@David Lister thank you, but I've sat done and played with the plot and figured out how to drop the player in the Witchfinders Keep at the start and go from there. lol.

Update 13

Week 2 complete! And I think I’ve done really well. I have the plot done, I’ve reworked everything so that A Witches Heart works well as the start of the game, so the player can be dropped right in the action. Love it a lot I have to say.

All my main maps are done, all my main story dialogue is done. One more art scene and the main is done, then it’s all eventing. This week is going to be finishing off the main story, polishing all the database and fights, and once I’m happy with those I will be going back and populating the game with NPC’s and maybe the odd quest from them and stuff.

I’m glad I’ve finally properly figured out my dialogue and plot and I’m so happy with that.

Anyway, have another progress table!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Belated goals for the month: finish the maps and sprites for an in-game opera house. this includes stage lifts to change the scenery within the performance, like this one:

Had to significantly lower quality and cut out about 85 frames of the animation to be able to upload this here. Once I turn the whole thing into sprite(s), it will be much smoother. I will check if I used anything I can't release, if not, I will upload it as a resource, as it makes a good secet base/ Aladin's cave.

Then hopefully I will move straight into doing the cut scenes for the performance.

I wish @IguanaGuy was around to see your thing. He once did a drawbridge a wee bit that way. This makes RPGM loooks real great! ^^

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Plueschkatze: oh, wow, thanks!

@Deletrius: that animation in-game should be dope. Wondering how you made it - pictures, perhaps?

@mobiusclimber: thanks! in-game is much better *-* had a fun time making the lake.
I tend to write as I go along bc generally that causes me to think of things and make connections that would take several passes of just writing to get to
I do that too, serves me better. Ideas flow lighter and easier.
'm thinking maybe I'll give the player the option of which person to follow? Not sure yet.
Giving player choice always feel rewarding, of course if you make it have an impact. Maybe two different endings? that'd be cool. I like your idea.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome: congratulations dude :)

Quick update here: making a dungeon-crawler is not easy. I scrapped the roguelike part and went only with dungeon-crawler. Player has no intrinsec party, but there's a mechanic that allows you to hire mercenaries, that accomplish various roles. So far I've got rangers and spellers. Let's see what else I can come up with. Making a bunch of skills, balancing a bunch of stuff, lots of enemies... I'm somewhat overwhelmed, but I will

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I... Am finally... Done with the opening/first cutscene.
Finally.
Freedom.

xVeE05Y.png

I've spent days trying to get this to work properly. It uses 4 different maps, and it's so short considering the time I spent on it.
It, probably wasn't a great idea to add the most complicated cutscene I've ever done to a project that had a 30 day deadline. But I did, and it's done.
And there might be some weird stuff like you get more text if you're a fast reader or just skip, but it's done, and it works.
And now I know that having 2 events with different things happening at the same time is a pain.

Also I finished the map that leads to the camp map I posted in i think my first post in this thread.
cCjkSUW.png

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faye Valentine - Don't think I can do different endings in this one, but I might have two different "last third of the game"s - you either help shore up the defenses of one side or help the resistance. I have a fairly dramatic way of ending this conflict, and the game, regardless of what the player does. I love having player choice and branching the plot out in different ways, while at the same time pointing out the ultimate futility in the struggle. It's like people trying to live in a zombie apocalypse. All you can really accomplish is making life marginally better while you're here, but the end is right around the corner and it's usually senseless. It's also meant as a comment on how individuals can make a better or worse place, but so long as there's a central power, the individual has no real free will or ability to make real changes.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Been a bit since I made an update. I wanted to wait until I had some actual gameplay to work with, the rest of the work has been under-the-hood stuff.

I am pretty happy with how the character busts have come out, and it took longer than I wanted but got a lot of kinks worked out for combat. It is similar in appearance to the combat system for last year's entry Unsung Heroes, but instead of relying on a large roster of characters with unique abilities, you have a core group of characters and you can select from a three different classes each, with the capability to upgrade their skills. Synergy is still important, but each character is more "stand alone" as well.

j3KXpae.png

zU9x4xL.png

Edit: I noticed my spelling mistake D:

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mobiusclimber Thanks! I might be biting off more then I can chew with the whole thing but I like having diverging paths.

And the update for today, I have to redo some message width and rows (or adjust font sizes) but I managed to get the quests working the way I wanted with YEP's Quest Journal. Trying to do the main quest line with a few splitting side quests but not too many. Also updated all the sprites so that they're there at least. Still default MV sized but changed outfits and some hair colors.

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@David Lister Haha, oh yeaaah! Larry is one of our main inspirations for our Quidget/Pigglet games. Particularly Larry 7, I guess, but also the first game for it's compact world that was still full of life and funky sexy situations.
lLpdZvU.png

WHAT A PERVERT! XD
@Faye Valentine Thanks, mate! *Points finger guns at you* Pew pew!
MLsdFtW.png

Also, your forest looks awesome! Fantastic atmosphere, I love it. Show us a gif!
REAUCOL.png

@Deletrius Ha, what a fun effect! :)

@Jesse - PVGames Nice, man! That will be a treat to play, just like last year!

@l8rose Haha I think a lot of us are working with our mouths full, having bitten off more than we can possibly chew XD That's what you do in a gamejam, right?
OEREtNv.png

I managed to finish the insides of Mrs. Big Bad Werewolf, which are... a pretty cozy restaurant, apparently XD
Only two more rooms to go!

Keep up the great work, guys!
QCkLCwu.png

MrB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C#
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jesse - PVGames Oh wow. That looks absolutely fantastic!

Not just yours, everyone seems to talented.

I've decided to enter as well. I know I'm not going to win, presentation is by far my weakpoint.. I'm terrible when it comes to any artwork, composing music, even dialogues are not my strong point(mostly due to spelling... 'issues'). But I feel my idea is solid, the gameplay is going to be interesting.

It's going to be some sort of a dungeon crawler. You head in a hole, enter a dungeon, try to get as far as you can, probably die, and start at the beginning, with the items you've found, which allow you to upgrade your gear, allow you to level up, allow you to unlock new dungeons... Well you get the gist.

I've been only working on it for less than a week now, but I'm almost done with the basic framework. Once that is done, all I need to do is add dungeons :)

I won't bother you with screenshots, since those are going to be mostly RPGMV standard stuffs... but once I figured out how to do video's, I'll be sure to upload some battling.. even though it's mostly just yanfly's engine + additional plugins, there are some interesting idea's there I'd love to show you all!

Deletrius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yep, I have one
Primarily Uses
Other
@Deletrius: that animation in-game should be dope. Wondering how you made it - pictures, perhaps?

Made it with my trusty 15 year old Paint Shop Pro ;) To implement it into RPG Maker, I will turn it both into one big sprite and split it up into several (3 5*5 tile sprites, for example), just to see which will tax the system less. It has 61 single frames, so it can fit into one sprite sheet, but requires a bit of fiddling with events to make it work. After I managed to track down whether I have to replace the barrels with RTP ones to release it, I will put it up in my resource thread together with a little project that gives an example event so that it gets easier to use for others (for that and for my other behavior sprites).

I might also cut out a bit in the middle to make a less wide version, since it is 15 tiles wide and the standard RPG Maker frame only offers 13 tiles, that might make it more usable for others.

In my game, this will be the lower third of a stage. The game I make (definitely not for IGMC, though) has some elements of an open world, I try to fill it with lots of opportunities to explore and work and just generally roam around. In that spirit, I had the idea of having a theater house that you can actually go to and watch a play. And if it's going to be a play, why not a full opera ... in this case, Bizet's Carmen, since there is a relatively good recording of it in the public domain. That part of the stage moves from being the market place in the first act to the cellar of the Inn in the second act.

kaiijuu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if I'm the only crazy person starting halfway through the timeframe hee~hee.
I'm also switching to VN maker for my game versus using RPG maker MV because I wanted a more...story-based game over battles/common RPG tactics?

Actually I'm more familiar with RPG Maker than VN... >_> so I'm not sure if I'll switch....but I know it would be easier for me to make my own art for VN over RPG Maker since I am not a pixel artist at all haha

Last edited:

Zelgadis85

IGMC 17/18 Entrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Finally decided to make a real progress report in the spirit of this thread. I'm making a game as a joint project with @Punamaagi called 'Our Adventure'. It's a dungeon crawler adventure akin to Etrian Odyssey on the DS, Might and Magic on PC, or Swords and Serpents on NES, all of which are somewhat dear to me.

This is what is known so far about 'Our Adventure':

What is done:
-Introduction scene is completed. I decided to go fancy on that one and kept revising it for like... six hours?
-Town UI is done, but barebones. I'm aiming for that Etrian Odyssey feeling.
-First dungeon is mapped on paper, now I need to actually get it in the game.
-Second and third dungeons are planned, but not mapped. No more than three dungeons in this prototype, max.
-Character classes' parameters are in the database, skills are planned but not implemented yet.
-Questline is pretty much planned in detail. Next would be implementing Yanfly's Quest Journal and adding the entries to it and I might call it done.
-PCs are done, I might add custom busts for them though.
-Item randomization is implemented via @DreamX's Random Item Prefixes.
-Game page on itch.io (it is currently set to private due to not having a playable version out)
-Part of the dungeon UI is complete (I have a kinda working version of the dungeon view, minimap and party status window, but I'm still missing some 'pieces of the puzzle', to speak of)

What is planned:
-Improving the town UI. It is the first thing the player can act in, so better make it count.
-A multilayer dungeon UI. It should have the 3D dungeon view, minimap, clickable buttons and some gimmicks.
-More skills for more exciting combat. Some skills should also have a use outside combat as well. We'll have to see what time allows to implement.
-A custom battle system. Basically a frontview battle with custom command choosing, custom actor status window and Yanfly's Weak Enemy Poses plugin. (something similar to the previous mockup screenshot I posted). I have the basic icons ready, but if I have time I'll try to polish the look.

What would be nice:
-A dungeon view window that actually renders 3D graphics realtime, but I guess I'll have to use pre-rendered screens for this prototype as I've been banging my head to the wall trying to implement this feature and I'm quite honestly fed up with it for now. Having a real 3D engine would allow more freedom in movement, which creates another set of problems on its own, so I'm probably leaving this one out.
-More custom graphics, especially about the town and the NPCs. And a title screen.
-Character generation or creation like normal dungeon crawlers instead of recruitable adventurers.
-Time to polish the plugins I'll use to create the dungeon and battle scenes. I'll probably end up with a huge mess with my code in this timeframe, but I'll use the time during the judging to polish the code for a post-IGMC version.
-Some more content on the dungeons. They are pretty planned out, but somehow I still feel they're lacking something.

Next goal:
-Have a playable demo out sometime this week. I'm going off to the neighboring town tomorrow which cuts off some development time, but I'll try to manage.

And that's all for now. I'm keeping an eye on this thread, too, and I like what I see. We're having lots of variety this year too, which is always good. Good luck to all participants, may your code and events be true and bugs false.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now that I have tackled the LARP, some work and hopefully most of my computer issues as well, I can finally start working on the joint IGMC project with @Zelgadis85 a bit more seriously. I started by sketching the town view, which probably has a bit wonky perspective but is a good first try (for someone who hasn't drawn sceneries for ages):
gsbYqxN.jpg
Next step is to scan the picture and resize it to fit the UI so I can know how much details I can add or remove. Afterwards, I might move to the backgrounds for the various buildings - or character busts, as they are more up to my alley. :p I'm glad that I get to do a bit of creative writing for this project too, though, and I hope it will give me some spark to continue my own old project as well.

I'm impressed by the activity and the creativity in this thread. Keep up the good work, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol
Lil' sketch I drew of Nico di Angelo :)
The spooky boi himself ♥
Nico sketch by Artemis Yates.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikuhighness