bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Took my laptop with me to work today as I had a 4 hour break. Managed to get some work done as a result.

-All armors for my next game are done.
-The world map for my next game has been conceptually made. This fits the lists of quests and the overall plot for this game.
-I got my characters to level 8 in Wizardry 7...wait, this is just RPGMaker goals? :o

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've started getting a bit overwhelmed and falling behind on doing things, so I'm considering sidelining my project and doing just an extremely simple project for the IGMC no matter how other people feel about it. I'm thinking instead of an RPG (because my hangups are mostly with the database) some puzzle game (maybe in an adventure style so I can do some maps) with cutscenes in a VN style. I can probably throw something like that together pretty easily in the weeks left with minimal extra resources needed.
It's a little frustrating when an idea doesn't exactly work out, but the good thing about being a creative person is I have tons of other ideas to fall back on when it happens. I'll probably use the rest of tonight putting together a more stable concept and starting to put together a clean project.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dezue So true. It's not fun until there are a bunch of "potentially-maybe-possible" goals left over at the end.
@Gabrelik Nice lineart, very clean!
@Punamaagi I'd say Character Busts but then I'm biased and always go for those first myself. lol

It's awesome to see people jumping in even midway. Makes it more fun over all.

Ended up spending too much time on a forest map today but it was a win on the plugin side of things as I figured out how to get Orange Overlay's fog settings to work properly. Apparently, the way I was doing it first was not exactly the correct way to set a fog layer. Who knew?
Tomorrow, I think I'm going to start on the battle system. Maybe I might be able to get it how I envision it by the end of the month.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
We're sloooowly getting stuff done! Whooooo!
Here's an update on my part, I made progress with the sprites and the portraits for the game. :3
I'm looking forward to see all of that in action.

Busts.png

Everyoooone, keep up the great work and remember to make a backup every now and then... ;)

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everyone here seems to have so much work done! I'm just hoping to stand out. I plan to have no rtp in my game! From the graphics to the music to the windowskin I just completed today! I hope we can all support each other!
screenshot.png

Kim_Shyuen

DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I must write some goals to make sure I won't be lazy in this month_( :з」∠)_
*EDITED ON 28/11/18*
  • (done)modify the bust's anatomy.
  • (script hasn't done yet)add animated lighting and dropping leaves through Doodads (ace ver)
  • (done)make sure the main menu script is done
  • (done)redo the talking dialog (make it more simple)
  • stage clear animation Idea
  • epilogue map!
* I'm now redoing the prologue event and tuning some details.

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And a morning update of writing (as C Programming was just going over stuff I already know) of the Villager Profiles. These will be how they are in the game (well minus the roles I have listed). I may add quests to the children characters but those are just NPCs at the moment. All of them will have unique busts (in the process of lining and colouring those).
There are going to be other characters that people can interact with but these are the NPCs of the starting Village.

Koi
Koi is the main character of the story. An individual on the cusp of adulthood, they have lived most of their life in the quiet village of Kelos. Ten years prior to the beginning of River Lord, Koi was found clinging to life on the banks of the Accades River. Koi does remember the life before but the memories have become distorted with time.
Koi’s personality is determined by the actions of the player.
Koi begins the game as a warrior class with a simple knife as their main weapon. Throughout the gameplay, Koi will unlock new abilities and powers.
Changeable Name and Gender
Nial
Nial is the elder brother of a set of twins. He has lived his entire life in Kelos Village with the occasional trip to one of the larger villages with this Father. He has taken up apprenticeship to Hunter Irgaz and is often found either in the forest or working with the older Villager.
Nial, with his twin sister Sorcha, have been friends with Koi since they were children. Nial is the more dependable twin, often doing what is expected of him instead of what he’d want to do. That being said, he tends to go along with whatever Koi suggests but will always be the friend advocating common sense.
Nial begins the game as a warrior class with a sword as their main weapon.
Recruitable & Quest Giver
Sorcha
Sorcha is the younger sister of a set of twins. She has lived her entire life in Kelos Village but dreams of one day moving to somewhere more exciting. Sorcha prefers to be sitting out on the mountain paths or in hard to reach places.
Sorcha, with her twin brother Nial, have been friends with Koi since they were children. Sorcha is the friend instigating trouble for the trio. If it’s against the rules then even better. Somehow, she manages to get them all out of trouble once she gets them in.
Sorcha begins the game as a warrior class with a bow as her main weapon.
Recruitable & Quest Giver
The Elder
The Elder was the villager who took in Koi when they were found by the river. He is the one whom most of the village looks to in times of need and general decision making. The Elder is the oldest villager, having been old when most of the adults were children.
Considered Wise, the Elder is a man of secrets and stories. Most villagers assume he has forgotten more then the rest of them would ever know.
Quest Giver
Blacksmith Asa
The Blacksmith, Asa, actually moved to the village a few years ago with his daughter. He prefers the quiet life despite not having as much work in Kelos as he had before. Still, he keeps busy with creating items to be sold to wandering merchants and in other towns.
Asa is easy going but can be a bit stern if people ignore him. Asa’s life revolves around his daughter, the man is willing to drop everything if something happens to her.
Quest Giver, Vendor & Trainer
Merchant Isla
Isla, the merchant, inherited the merchant shop from her father within the last year. She did spend her childhood learning the ropes about how to run a shop and generally has a full shop thanks to the other villagers. She has also arranged for merchants to stop in occasionally.
Isla can be a bit flighty, and often forgets the unimportant things, but she is a friendly woman who enjoys working in her family’s shop.
Vendor & Quest Giver
Hunter Irgaz
Irgaz is a young man who has dedicated himself solely to the task of hunting for the village. He, and his brother, often stay outside the village in various camps or stay at the Town Hall during bad weather.
Adept in several weapons and snares, he is more at home tracking animals then he is with dealing with the villagers themselves. A no nonsense kind of man, he does not tolerate anyone tampering with his livelihood or the village proper.
Trainer & Quest Giver
Kaela
The mother of the twins and Faolan, she is a kind woman who lives in the northern part of the village. She often makes food for the other villagers, most particularly the Elder and Koi. Her husband is often away on trips to other islands so it is just her and her children.
Quest Giver
Faolan
The younger brother to the twins, Faolan is a cheerful and energetic young boy. It takes a lot to get him down. He almost hero worships Koi as an older “kid” who isn’t a sibling.
Asara
The daughter of the Blacksmith, Asara has lived in the village since she was a baby and has known no life other then the life in the village. While she is just as energetic as Faolan, she tends to keep to herself but is still well liked by the rest of the village.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Update 14

Sorry about no update yesterday (though I’m sure you were all glad for the rest. Lol. I’ve been coming down with a cold over the last few days, sore throat, mouth and feeling so tired and worn out. But I did manage some work yesterday, and today.

The big final cut scene is done, I would love if I was able do proper art or animation, because I think the final scene would have looked 100% better is it was done in pics or awesome animation. But ah well, I work within my limitations!

So. I now have the main part of the story nearly finished. Two more scenes and it’s done. Then I’m gonna play about with the database and add in NPC’s and some story information and stuff. It’s a long old job, but somebodies gotta do it. Lol.

I also played about with my world map (as I am slowly building the world of Thorntop, I feel that making maps really helps me come to grips with the world, it’s looks, customs and stories. Haven’t finished all of Istolia, but am making good progress at least!

My IGMC game takes place only in Istolia Valley, the Great Jungle and anything below the Kings City has not been fully added because I’m still figuring out where the rest of the game should go after the Jungle and Swamp area.

I’m still hoping to have everything done by the end of this week so I can spend the last week fixing the bugs and adding in little flourishes. I’m also hoping to have some videos of battles and some gameplay by the end of the week.

I would also love to make a trailer, but am not too sure how that would work. I mean, what do you add to a trailer? I really need to learn this stuff. Lol.

Hope you’re all having fun. So many of you are making amazing stuff! I literally don’t have time to list you all, but I am so impressed by everyone here so far, and am getting really nervous by how good all your work looks and sounds!

Until next time!

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Gabrelik Seems to be in better shape than my car XD

@lemongreen Obviously, we love little puzzle adventure games! :) Your plan sounds legit, good luck with your new project!

@l8rose Haha, exactly! If you plan to sleep during the last days of the jam, you're doing it wrong ;)
@Plueschkatze That looks freaking awesome! I love the characters!
REAUCOL.png

I'm almost done with all the rooms, completed this Monster Kitchen today.

Oni is currently adding particle effects to the finished rooms. Finally, we can have some cool fire, steam or smoke effects <3

Keep up the great work, everybody!
Stay funky,
Dez

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dezue Here I thought it was if we weren't crying from stress by the end, it's not a GameJam. =P

Didn't feel up to working on the database/battle system today so instead here is an art based update.

Generally for characters, I do an initial sketch which I then translate as close as I can into the standard MV style sprites before basing my color choices on what I get out of the MV generator. Depending on some choices in the MV Generator, I've changed the character design further.

My usual coloring style might not work with the size I'm using for bust coloring but should be a relatively easy fix.

Irgaz_Promo.png irgaz_mostly_colored.png

Last edited:

kaiijuu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have anything artsy to show, since I'm replacing all the art in the end, but I finally started? I made my first few events + quests! It's been about a year since I used RPG Maker MV but it's all coming back to me haha

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got a good start (restart?) going, now. Still don’t really have a full plot, but I’m leaning towards a mystery idea so it won’t matter too much if everything isn’t ready right away. I’ve so far decided to go with using a guy and his dog as the protags for the adventure (so far just named Guy and Doggo. This is under a bit of a time crunch so I’m not going to promise anything more amazing than that on the naming front)
I’m probably going to work on implementing the couple different hint system ideas I have for it. That and figure out an actual title over the next couple days so I cam work on the title screen (I may just leave it blank and use a splash screen script if/when I come up with one)

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Chez The sprite on the left? It's from the MV generator using additional parts from here on the boards. Scythian Bard's Barbershop for hair and HiddenOne's Generator parts for the clothing.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally back in the action. Fell out in terms of progress over the weekend but I managed to get some stuff done today:
  • Created extra indoor decoration tiles
  • Created design for Grandma
  • Created sprite and bust sprite for grandma
  • Added new bust expressions to MC
  • Create two new house maps
Hopefully I'll keep up the pace and finish on time! :kaoswt2:

watermark

Thinking of what to do next
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Plueschkatze Amazing art as always! Is this like a Pokemon + adventure game? It seems there's monsters you can collect from @hiddenone 's artwork.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome I really like how you did your world map. It gives the game an epic feel. I also would like to learn how to make trailers. It seems all games have them these days.

@Dezue I am so jealous of your funky, original art. It's so good!!! Will definitely play Big Bad when it's done.

@l8rose I usually do my database in an Excel sheet first. I find it easier to balance everything there as the program adds everything for you. It makes it easier to see what weapons you have overpowered or what classes are too weak statistically. Then I copy over the whole thing to the database. It takes a little extra time but I think in the long run it actually saves time.

@lemongreen Good luck with your restart! You lose some time changing mid contest but hey, we even have people who've just started now, so you should be fine. :kaojoy:

@bgillisp I've banned myself from touching any games of any sort, especially RPGs, before the contest is over. I know once I start playing it's all over. :kaosigh:

As time ticks down the pressure builds. Our team has most of the ingredients ready. Now it's time to start putting it all together. Time sure flies.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@watermark nah, sadly no monster collecting, those images have just been placeholders for our menu system ;3 It's just an adventure game. And thank you.

Senatris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
O.K so here are my goals for November.

• Improve my pixel art and tilesets.
  • Make good progress with my game.
  • Improve my voice overs.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Update 15

Somehow, and I truly have no idea how, I appear to have actually finished.

I’m not going to lie, I was terrified to play it through in case there were any game breaking bugs, but I made myself and I haven’t found any. The whole thing seems to work ok. Now all I have to do is get some play testers to run through it and tell me if they think it’s too hard/easy. And if they find anything I’ve missed! (If you would like to be a play tester please let me know)

So… Now what do I do? Aside from playtesting the hell out of it, and seeing what I can do to polish what I have so far of the game. But chapter one of A Witches Heart is complete, and hopefully anyone playing it will see it’s potential.

But seriously! What am I supposed to do now? I’ve never before finished my IGMC game with so much time to spare! I’m feeling a bit lost now.

Have a trailer (an awful trailer, but hey, I tried!)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome : I wouldn't worry about it. I finished mine in 13 days in 2014, so it can be done.

@watermark : True but I'm probably not entering. I only really have next week for game dev anyways out of the entire month, so it comes down to do I think I can make a game in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeadlightBC