Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@watermark Nooo we wanted to make a REALLY SCARY horror game :D
@l8rose :)
@Gabrelik Thanks, mate! Same goes for me ❤️ Train station looks nice!

I've finally finished the last planned gamejam room, the Queue of Horrors! Oni programmed some nice features for it, can't wait to show you a few gifs of it!

Only 2 weeks to go! It's time to go into funky sexy hardcore gamedev mode :D
Stay funky, you guys!

kaiijuu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro , Nice work! Loving the look.

@Dezue , masterful, as always. Looking forward to your release.

We are SOOO far behind. xD Working through it though, and hopefully we can do justice to the story we would like to tell you all. Working on a train station that has seen better days:

This looks so good! I have a question...is this side-scrolling? From some of the maps posted, it kind of looks that way but I could be wrong! :o

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Update 16

Ok, so I’m currently bug fixing. I’m pretty sure I’ve address all the bugs my first testers found for me. I’m hoping it’s all of it anyway. Of course I will be getting more playtests done.

I have made some changes to the game that I felt weren’t working quite how I wanted them too. So I’ve been working hard. I’m a tad stuck at one ending scene because there’s no real way for me to show a scene that’s important with the sprites. If I was good at art I would draw it, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Anyway, what I’ve done today was overhaul the skill learn system, fully evented, and I’m quite happy with it. I’ve also removed the ability to access the skill learn system anywhere, you must now access it through a crystal in the main entrance of the Witch finders Keep. Which will hopefully force players to really consider their skills and options. I have also removed the Save option and made that a crystal as well.

I think it makes the game more interesting, but that might just be me. Lol.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everybody's games are looking so nice!!! I'm gonna be heckin embarrassed when they play my game cuz man is it gonna be ugly as sin. Tho, I might have someone help me with the maps, in which case it won't look nearly as bad. I dunno if he's gonna have time to or want to tho. *crosses fingers*

I also found someone with a pillory graphic, so I can have a pillory in my game! It's gonna make a nice juxtaposition with how quaint the town looks.

I'm still struggling with the opening cutscene, but I got a lot of writing done for it at least. I think I need to cut down the speech tho, but at the same time, I plan to have credits playing during it, so I need to see how long those are going to take and plan on making the speech about the same length. Of course, this is assuming I actually figure it all out and get everything working right. I still need to get to some actual gameplay. There's still like... two weeks... ugh...

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Progressed my game a bit more today and also decided to release a screenshot!
Probably the highlight of the intro- the main character is just minding his business when all of a sudden a guy just sprints and face plants in front of him.

Today I:
  • Added small action indicators thanks to Galv's plugins
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Created title text
rhuneworld_screenshot_1_faceplant_fixed_by_haropetcreatorlt-dcs94a1.png

And yes the title of the game is "Rhuneworld" with an H, because I'm creative. :guffaw:

MrB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C#
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArtist : I think the h makes it cute!
Also love the expression of the ??? guy ;D

With the boss tested and well(It's actually a pretty fun fight if I can say it myself), I think I have my first little dungeon done! Playtimes is still only a couple of minutes, but everything from here onwards is hopefully smooth sailing! I just need to make more dungeons!
And probably add the second tier of weapons!
And add some progress to the lady of the story.
Aaaaand add more dialogue for the shopkeep(second visit and onwards)
Aaaaaaaaand properly introduce jewelry.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....

Hm.

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kaiijuu , we actually did start off that way, but opted to remain on the grid. We will maintain some of those style elements though. So much left to do!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well was out sick this week but got a couple little things done still:

-Finished the loot table lists. Now I shouldn't end up accidentally handing out 3 of the same sword in a dungeon.
-Fixed a few little Chapter 9 bugs I found.
-Pondered whether to turn that system into a full map system. Before I did that I decided to see if there was an automapping script made for ACE. Google and the forums came up nada, so it's either that or nothing.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Gabrelik I keep being amazed at your guys' stuff. Hope you finish in time :)
@watermark Thanks, though my game's less of a fairy tale game and more of a game with a fairy tale theme if that makes sense? And actually Alice was supposed to be in this one, but I thought it was silly to have two characters from Wonderland (also have the Queen of Hearts), when there are so many characters to choose from. So I changed it to the other fairytale "tourist"-like character Dorothy. It also makes more sense as this game is kind of a spin-off from my main game and Dorothy actually exists in that one, while Alice doesn't (yet). I enjoy reading your update on itch.io btw, though I'm sad "Work in Progress" isn't going to be the title anymore :p
@Dezue I've been wondering, but what's the game genre?

I'm hoping to finish eventing the cutscenes at the end of the week. :)
I wasn't sure if I was going to make this as I had an off-day yesterday, but I did :D All cutscenes done, though they're all pretty basic and the writing's not that great either. :aswt: I'll try to rectify some of that during testing.
I think the only "big" thing I still need to do is make the Shop Upgrade scene. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use the actual Shop Processing for that or to just event it.

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dezue Amazing! Do you use gimp to parallax and paint your maps like that?
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome I think it's a great addition! It makes it more like a classic rpg in my opinion!
@mobiusclimber maybe make the scrolling credits first? Then slowly message screen by screen add the words in to determine length. Have a friend read and playtest that bit so you get a general feel for how fast the average person would read it.
@SmashArtist I know that wasn't the intention, but that sprite vaguely looks like yugioh.

So I had to go to a fundraiser for a job that lasted 4 days, so work was a bit minimal. But I have the opening cutscene completely written out and I discovered a cute little workaround for my lack of face graphics!! This here is Tobi, the main character's 4 year old little brother. He wants to be a warrior one day.
newfaces.png

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Chez - I'm struggling just to figure out how to use Galv's plugin. I'm using his Timed Message Popups but can't figure out how to get the text commands to work - ie, changing the window to transparent, putting in the wait commands and all that. (I know how to do this with a regular text window, but the plugin just ignores all that.) Otherwise, I pretty much have that all figured out. Right now tho, it just shows a normal text window and displays all the text at once. I kinda thought about just doing each section of the credits as a different pop up window (so it will say "Graphics by:" and then a name will pop up, and then another name will pop up) but that wouldn't solve the problem of the window transparency, nor would it display the letters one at a time. As far as the dialogue boxes that also go in this scene, once I have the credits figured out, I'll have someone else read the dialogue to make sure the boxes stay up long enough for another person to read them. That's definitely a good idea.

Love your work around, btw! I had to do that for a few characters when I was working on a game in RPG Maker FES. No way to add graphics and some of the characters don't have face graphics. XD

moca

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
CtkvHWx.png

Another screenshot from my game, 「Momoka」. I also want to take this post and say since I'll be cutting it real close, I'm looking for a talented pixel artist to work with so I could focus on the story. Please DM if you're interested!!

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jesse - PVGames I was beginning to worry what had happened with you! Great to see that you're still in the contest. As always, love the maps! And the woman in the wide-brimmed hat. That is so nice of you to offer to test play other contestants games! I would consider taking you up on the offer if I had more of the story done.
@Plueschkatze I adore your art style and the vibrant color choice! You've done such a wonderful job! I'm looking forward to playing yours.
@moca, Enjoying the minimalist pixel style you have going there, and the main character. She's so cute!

To everyone else, keep up the great work! It is so great to read the forum and see how everyone is doing and all the wonderful talent and progress!

I am alive and still in the contest! I've been busy working on well, everything. Maps, intro cutscene, character graphics, face graphics, technical stuff, uuuugh. Evented my very first cut scene ever, and between all the testing and retesting that took three-four days. Afterwards had to spend time figuring out what combat style I wanted and went with GubiD's Tactical Battle system. Got that up and installed yesterday. Now I've run into a bit of a dilemma in the story telling department. I'm sure I'll figure something out, but at the moment it's giving me a hang up. Trying to avoid it by working on other aspects of the game will only last me so long. (sigh)

This game was originally planned to be a large open world, but I've had to sideline all of that for the contest time crunch. Also had to drop a custom evented character creation because that would have taken up too much time. The story has become more streamlined but, I'm not sure if the whole of the story can be completed before the contest is over. As this is a prototype (thank goodness!) is it alright to leave off at a major chapter cliffhanger?

Goals for the next week:
*Finish major map locations
*complete second half of intro story. (AKA-Getting off the dang ship!)
*Database (uuuugh)
*Need to create more character graphics

Characters: Below are some of the characters for the game. Just tried to scale Maedea(the woman) down to fit the faceset dimensions and lost resolution. So, I'm going to ditch the coloring for time's sake and went with a sketch-book vibe. That can be seen in screenshots for the game.
Maedea.PNG Wulfgar.PNG

Screenshots: You can see in the first screenshot how I lost image quality, so I got creative. That room below is the beginning map, followed by the ship.
Maedea pic.PNG Maedea pic2.PNG cabin.PNGShip02.PNG ship.PNG [\SPOILER]
[/SPOILER]

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MrB Thanks! :kaojoy:
@Chez Ah shoot. Looks different enough though, so it should be fine. :LZSrasp:

Here's a second screenshot, the first moments of gameplay:
rhuneworld_screenshot_2_explore_by_haropetcreatorlt-dcse47l.png

The house is pretty barren right now as I'm trying to focus on getting to a certain part in the game with the more necessary art and such before worrying about tile details.
I am worried I won't reach to the point that I planned to get to in time for submission, but even if the game doesn't do too well, I'm so proud of myself for getting this far! :kaopride:

Last edited:

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArtist One thing I had to tell myself too is that they aren't looking for something crazy polished, but good. It at least helps me when that one damn tile just. doesn't. look. right.
@mobiusclimber I unfortunately can't say I'm familiar with that plugin.. I moved from Vx Ace to MV for this contest. Thank you for complimenting my cheap workaround!! Being able to post my progress on here is really motivating me to try and have a big visible update each day!
@Guardinthena I don't know how you learn to make art so detailed, but I must admit I am jealous.

So I managed to have a semi-productive day! The opening cutscene is completely finished and I added a quest journal! The game revolves around apprenticing to different masters as a sort of coming of age tale. At the end you choose your profession! I figured a quest journal was a good way to guide the player without doing too many leading cutscenes. I'll be very crunched for time, but as long as I can finish the necessary cutscenes everything is in place for me to finish on time!
questjournal.png

MrB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C#
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena : That ship! I love that head up front :D

I made my itch.io account. It's super professional already!
You can download the 0.2 version in all it's glory, so... there's that!

This is a really busy week for me. I hope to get the in between dungeon stuff ready before the weekend starts, so I can spend the rest of the week pumping out as many dungeons as possible :D

For now:
- I want to rework the shop system, so I won't need to use a plugin for that(The one I'm using isn't compatible with my other plugins sadly)
- I want to add more rewards to the girl(maybe a big 'unlock'?)
- And perhaps try to make the world beautiful even though that's my biggest weakpoint like ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif
I just discovered this game exists; the premise itself is ****ing hilarious. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kill-it-with-fire
Can't wait for next update! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caraba19