Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well that is interesting. I'll report it up and make sure we are aware of it with entries. It's probably something up with a chrome update cause I was pretty sure it was working at one point. @bgillisp

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@slimmmeiske2

I played through your game (well, up until I was fired for the second time). I wrote down all of my thoughts as I played the game, so you have some "real-time" feedback on your game. Hopefully it helps! I put it all in the spoiler below just in case other people want to play the game and not have anything spoiled for them.

I like the tribute to the IGMC 2018 as the intro logo.

Enjoying that main menu music! I also like the colorful background.

Alright, put in my name and gender… let’s see where we go next.

“Starstream” is rather close to the Decepticon “Starscream” from Transformers which is fun. I am going to call him/her Starscream from now on.

I am also enjoying the whimsical music in the beginning scene.

The dialogue is short and fun.

Now, a deluge of information crashes into me lol. I hope I don’t have to remember all of this to actually play the game.

It’s cool that Starscream walks you through the first customer. Eases the player into it a bit. Still a lot of info though up front.

Oh my… I just got fired. I thought the customer was asking a question so I checked the book a few times (love the book animation btw) and then I was fired because that was not the right thing to do. So much for Starscream’s human intuition!

Ok, gonna restart this… might have been nice to auto-save or something before the first customer so the player doesn’t have to sit through all of it again.

I think auto-dash should be enabled by default. The walking is so slow otherwise.

Ok, now I am properly handling the customers. Why does the same customer come back numerous times though? Hasn’t this guy had enough?!

Oh, it’s the same girl again, too. I think there are only two customers who just keep coming in?

Now that I got the hang of the front-end, I kind of wished the customers would move faster, or there were fewer overall customers. Gets kind of repetitive.

Ok, got to the closing of the first day. You could definitely either speed up the customers or cut back on the number of customers to keep this more engaging and fun, otherwise it dips into the realm of repetitive.

I am enjoying the “The Next Day” interlude image.

I am finding the controls to be a bit temperamental. I accidentally lost a heart because I was trying to figure out what the customer wanted.

Hey, a witch! Not just the same two customers over and over!

Also, what is money for? And what was the purpose of all the other parts of the business being shown at the beginning? None of that has come into play.

Hah, the witch left, and then came right back in for something else.

Definitely need to speed up these customers. The double “…” balloons isn’t helping things either.

Accidentally lost another heart by talking to the customer before selecting anything. Maybe make it so that you don’t lose a heart before you interact with one of the items?

Hmm… The girl from the first day hasn’t shown up, but the same guy has popped back in like four times so far.

Holy hell there are too many customers. There isn’t really enough variety in the gameplay to warrant so much repetition.

It would be neat if there were other NPCs around in areas that the player can’t access (so out on the floor, etc) which would make the place look busier. They could walk in and out, maybe be helped by other NPCs – no dialogue or nothing, it would be purely background just to make the scene feel more alive and active. This constant streaming of one agonizingly slow NPC after another doesn’t make it feel active enough for a busy business.

So… many… customers. Like… 6 or 8 would have been fine. This is… too much… and it is only the 2nd day.

Another thing that would help break up the monotony a bit is by adding more “flavor text” to the character’s responses. Instead of “Here’s your package” over and over, maybe have it randomly pick between a few different phrases?

Finally… the shop closes.

Ah, here we go, adding some new game elements with the crystal ball.

Bought the speed upgrade – thank god! No more slow as molasses.

Alright, already screwed up on the phone crystal thing twice. What might be helpful to the player is some sort of icon or picture indicating what the last object interacted with was. So if you currently have a package from the gift pile, maybe a small picture of a package shows up in the corner of the screen to let the player know that is what is currently selected.

This is a bit more like it – getting the customer requests and phone requests right is a bit more of a challenge, and I wished it was introduced sooner. You might want to cut day 1 by a good few customers, and cut day 2 in like half. Those days were too dull in comparison which is too bad because those are going to be the parts where most players will probably stop playing before they get to the parts that are more fun.

Now it seems like there is a bit more variety to the customers.

I accidentally lost all of my hearts on the crystal because I pressed enter/space while interacting with it to see what the customer on the other end wanted. I will reiterate my recommendation that you do not remove hearts for interacting with a customer or the crystal before you have interacted with an object.

And game over again. I think that’s enough for now.

Final thoughts:
I like this game, and I think with more refinement and polish it could be a lot of fun. The atmosphere is light and whimsical, as is the general theme of the game which is supported by the game mechanics.

I definitely would have enjoyed the game more if there were far fewer customers in the first two days and if I didn't have to hold down shift to run (since you can't access the menu once inside the game). I also would have enjoyed the game more if the customers were a bit quicker in their moving up to the counter and away from the counter, and the game would be WAY more fun if the player wasn't penalized for accidentally interacting with the crystal ball or customer before an object had been selected.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks for playing @Jesse - PVGames. :) I've responded to some of your thoughts below.
Regarding autosave: the game used to have one. Unfortunately reloading that save got the game stuck several times. I'll add something (either a skip option or ability to save after tutorial) to avoid from having to go through the intro again.

Regarding customers that show up: They're set to random, so as you said sometimes one might not show up at all, while another keeps popping up. It's the same with their demands, they too are set to random too.

Regarding money: That's actual the goal to meet so to speak. It's not the amount of customers you serve, but the amount of money you earn that calls a level complete. So if you're extremely lucky you can finish level 1 by serving four customers. I'll add some text that actually says how much you're expected to make. I suppose I can make the amount needed to earn a bit less for the first two levels, so you're sooner done with those.

Regarding the locations that showed up in the intro: They're future locations to work at :)

Regarding speed customers/... bubbles: I'll make them leave/enter a bit faster. As for the bubbles, I'm torn. As you said they're not necessary for the first three levels, but starting from level 4, two customers show up at once (+ the crystall ball), so having some extra time between demands would make it easier I believe.

What might be helpful to the player is some sort of icon or picture indicating what the last object interacted with was. So if you currently have a package from the gift pile, maybe a small picture of a package shows up in the corner of the screen to let the player know that is what is currently selected.

...and the game would be WAY more fun if the player wasn't penalized for accidentally interacting with the crystal ball or customer before an object had been selected.
I'm a bit torn on these two points, so I'll wait and see what others say. Those do sound like good additions to the future Easy difficulty.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@slimmmeiske2 I'll put follow-ups in this spoiler:

Just letting the player have the option to save after the tutorial and before the first day would be enough I think.

I figured the customers and demands were randomized - maybe make a bigger pool to draw from for the base customers? It's not really a big deal either way, but is kind of funny to see the same guy walk in over and over again like he lost his mind :)

For the speech bubbles, if you increase the speed in which customers enter/exit, then probably no need to mess with the speech bubbles. I just found myself getting very impatient during the first couple of days waiting.

MrB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C#
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Slimmeiske2

It's so cute! I absolutely adore the style. I agree that the first levels take too long. Perhaps lower the gold costs, so you'll get further into the game, faster? I think everything becomes to much more interesting once you get more customers )
Also, I ended up talking to customers twice in a row, before they could make their second demand. I mean, I guess it's my own fualt for mashing the enter button? But if that'd happen when you are talking to a witch, that's an instant game over :x
I also agree that the game is a tad too repetitive early on. But overal, I like it!

Well, back to my game. Things have been a little slower then expected, I had a lot of work getting the upgrade system to work(even though you won't be leveling much during the demo... Ah, it's the thought that counts right?)
I am really happy with the 'level selector', it's almost done, and once it is, I have around 20 additional area's players can explore(small area's, don't expect anything huge).

My aim is to finish the second dungeon, which is huge compared to the first tutorial dungeon, and add two more maps with both at least 20 area's to explore.

The game isn't too much to look at sadly, but I hope at least the combat system keeps everything interesting.

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I don't think I'll be finishing much of anything. Didn't really have much time over the break to work, and on top of that I'm now sick again. I think I'll just work on a fun little personal project before turning back to one of my long term games, mostly because I'm also looking forward to playing some of the contest entries. (will be drinking lots of tea and getting some good rest so I can get over being sick)

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
M1BuVD5.png

With the main portion of the game all done, been focusing on polishing everything up and making the combat system more interesting and engaging without making it too complex or complicated. Came up with a neat way to put even further emphasis on buff/debuff manipulation - you receive a percentage less damage for each buff (stacking) on a character, and receive a percentage more damage per debuff. Same goes for enemies. Kind of a nifty extra effect of the buff/debuff system. Made sure to make the buffs and debuffs fairly easy to understand - you can simply hover your mouse over the icon and it tells you what it is/does. I also cut down on the number of them total so once you see the icons once or twice, it will be pretty easy to tell what is going on, combined with the visual effects of buffs and debuffs (auras, sparks, etc).

Been working on adding graphical bells and whistles as well. The attack animations are a lot cooler now with some added motion blur and weapon streak effects for both characters and enemies.

Deletrius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yep, I have one
Primarily Uses
Other
Finally worked out the kinks for my secret base animation/sprite (so that it functions as a walkable map in both states). It got a bit complicated:

some events.JPG

If anyone wants to use this puppy, I posted a sample project in my resource thread, so you can basically copy paste everything.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Started working on the last chapter of my game.. Now that I finished my 2nd story run of Diablo 3, I will focus more on working on my game first :)

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got a ton of stuff done, though most of it has just been cleaning up the intro and getting things working a little bit nicer. I did change the menu to an icon-based one. I also finished the town map (as finished as it's gonna get, I think). I need to make maps for the interior of the school, tho, so I can have random battles and a boss battle. I dunno how I'm gonna get everything done in the next four days, but... I gotta try.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
YAY finished that BDay card surprise in my icon project for the letterships! ^^

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well people kind of tied me up this weekend but that being said, still chugging away.
Finished my maps as well as "story locked" the places that can't be accessed until after certain points in the story. Just need to get rid of the place holders artwise and I'm good on maps and busts (just haven't updated those until the last minute).
Still so much to do in less then a week but it's kinda fun.
Instead of anything major, I'll just show an update that I thought was rather hilarious. It's supposed to be the character taking a step then falling but instead it looks like they do a baseball slide on their face. Probably going to leave it in.

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@P_Kun That looks so atmospheric! I'm looking forward to walking around in that town :)
@Jesse - PVGames Awesome, man! Congrats on the release, I'll be one of your players for sure!
@slimmmeiske2 Kudos for the release, those fairies are really cute :D
@l8rose :D The poor dude!
I'm looking forward to the upcoming gaming frenzy :D Hopefully, there'll be LPs again this year so we can see all the games.

As for our progress:
We're trying to implement a funky battle system before the deadline, it remains to be seen if we can do it in time O_O

Good luck for the last few days! Let's do this!
Stay funky,
Dez

Zelgadis85

IGMC 17/18 Entrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well... I managed to clear most of the bugs in the current version, and I can play it from the beginning to the end safely, but I'm severely behind my original planned schedule. I'll try to scram the second dungeon ingame this week and call it done, but I'm afraid the battle flow isn't as good as I hoped it to be. Several real life issues have been popping up lately and that has been distracting the game development.

I'll post again with the done features and what is planned for the future.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mapping out Chapter 3 maps and deciding how to go with the starting enemies on this part.. Like should I use some of the later enemies of chapter 2 as a bridge or go full new enemies..

Finally learned how to call move routes via script.. Now I managed to make my enemies who has their own move routes to suddenly change to player chase mode if the player goes into their "sight". It also takes into account sight blockers denoted via region ID. Once you are seen, the event that saw you will continue chasing you until it catches you or you go to other maps.

I probably wont use it on every enemy on the earlier chapters though, to give the players some adjustment period.

Last edited:

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Been doing a lot of testing and retesting of things while slowly working on adding maps... but I'm back to being faced with a problem that has plagued this project from the beginning: for some reason, I can walk over all the tiles. Even after specifically turning "through off" in a movement route, and checking and rechecking the passability of the tile sheets... it still happens. It happens even with events (I can walk through doors, tho I show up behind them, and I can walk over top of NPCs). I'm afraid this means I need to get a region plugin that will set passability... I mean, I hope that works. I dunno what else to do. When this contest is over, I'm not using MV for a few months.... I can't take it anymore.

P_Kun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(I've been very busy getting things done, sorry for the late reply)

@MrB @Plueschkatze @Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Thank you so much guys, that means a lot! We are working really hard! :)
@Chez With love, patience and coffee, LOTS OF COFFEE! XD
@Dezue Thanks man! Don't worry, you'll be walking in there soon enough! (at least we hope so *fingers crossed)

@Creative Ed will soon post a video of our work in progress, hope you guys like it!

Love to you all

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Mobius - check the upper left tile of your tile B, it should be a star passability, if you change it to O passability, then all tiles will be passable. If that doesn't work, maybe you have some plugin that alters movement?

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mobiusclimber we're in the same boat hoping we'll finish, but we can do it!
@Zelgadis85 Better to scrap a dungeon than have it so unfinished it hurts your score? I'm in no place to give advice, but you can do it!!
@Dezue As someone who can barely manage a simple jrpg battle system, I bow to your creativity lol
@l8rose Leave it in!! It looks awesome!
@Deletrius I have no idea how you kept that organized both on paper and mentally so kudos to you.
@Jesse - PVGames I'm in love with that art style and actually very excited to play your game!
@lemongreen I hope to see you compete next year! Feel better!

So because this weekend past was my birthday weekend, I was unable to do very much work on the game. However! I went full steam ahead today! Three of the 5 professions are not only implemented, but completely finished. As of right now: Cooking, Farming, and Soldiering are completed finished: cutscenes, plugins, and bonus mini features!! This now makes 3 of the 5 major professions completely finished and I'm mentally exhausted but so excited to work more on my game tomorrow! Not only is the crafting system much larger to accommodate the additional features but I completed fishing and mining systems!! Thank you so much to everyone here offering encouragement, it really helps me push myself when I know I can show off my progress here!
Fishing.png

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Chez - that looks amazing, and the different professions sound like a fun idea. I can't wait to play your game!
@Engr. Adiktuzmiko - thanks for the info! I actually had everything like that.

I dunno how I did it, but the passability issue is fixed. One thing I tried doing was changing the player's passibility in a move route event. It's weird because I tested it and it did nothing but then I playtested it again later and it worked. So I don't know what's going on. After getting that to work, I actually have had fairly smooth sailing with writing the next parts (tho I'm skipping a scene that I will event up later - by having scrolling text instead XD) to the point where I'm almost done with the intro cutscenes/story and can get to the dungeon and fighting and puzzles now. Heh. All I need to do now is figure out how to turn the player graphic on its side. He's going to float around the town (which is now purple and pink and blue) and then end up in the old abandoned school. Which is the first and only dungeon, for now. I have a ridiculous amount of work to do still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Firefox pointed me to a little inspiration: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/writers-maps

So, I shared. :D
To be released 2021/10/21
Now that I made this "What the MZ RTP is missing" spreadsheet it's itching me to fill some the gaps D:
Aaaaand I completely forgot about the RMMV Chicken Rave my brother decided to implement in a parody of my VERY FIRST UNFINISHED project. We could not escape the chicken rave... The chickens would block the ladder...
I love how I can look up a problem I'm having with my game, find a post from like six years ago that addresses the issue, and the solution provided still works in RPG Maker.
It's times like those that my life feels really easy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majinludde