IGMC and November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whether I win, fail spectacularly, or sleep over the deadline, entering this contest was worth it all the way! :kaothx:
    The momentous evolution forced upon myself has been healthy and absolutely necessary.
    In videogame terms...LEVEL UP! 1 MILLION EXP! :kaopride:

Everyone loves visual progress so I've included a couple facesets, though they're actually not in the game proper.
    Not yet, anyway. If I find a way to contextualize them, they'll have to wait until the official release in December.
    Art must be appreciated, however, so I may as well put them up here! If you're curious, the artist is Vinetsu.

In retrospect, I aimed for the sun and got the moon. I'm sure many others relate, but here's how I look at it:
    I got the freakin' MOON!

The moon is beautiful and affects the world's oceans. I'm happy with my moon and soon,
    I will be happy to go to bed in my own timezone on my side of the planet.:kaophew:

Attached Files:

2. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is anyone else wondering if they'll be able to get done by the deadline? :kaocry:I started this contest Nov 14th (so what, 2 weeks in?) and am working by myself and even if I don't wind up finishing, I'm still SUPER proud of what I've accomplished on my own. Maybe next year, I'll look into joining or looking for a team. I've still got two days and I sadly won't be able to do as much as I'd like (like a battle system and more maps) but hey. Everyone's entries so far look so good and I wish everyone the best of luck in finishing!!! :kaopride:

3. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This year I had almost forgotten to post here D: D:
    We're joining the competition as well!
    There's still so much to implement and polish, but not so much time left, argh! >.<

Here are some details about our game:

AUI is a platform puzzle adventure set on a tropical island amidst fire and water.

To return the favor of saving his life, a young lava slime is determined to aid in her escape a frail water spirit trapped in a pond that will be destroyed by the wake of the near volcano.

Here's a screen!

[​IMG]

Some random images/gif:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17/18 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ProGM Wow, that looks really nice. Platformers are about the second best genre for me, after RPGs of course :kaojoy:

As I promised earlier, I'm going to post the progress of my game and what will and what won't be in the IGMC version.

• The town menu is working finely. It is about the first thing the player sees (after the introduction of course) so I took some extra care in it.
    • Some town NPCs may have generic (or missing, this is noted in a temporary event) dialogue, I'll be tweaking it up to the last minute though.
    • The first two dungeons are done, but not in 3D as I originally envisioned. I had some problems doing it naturally in Pixi.JS projection plugin, so I'm leaving that for the future. @Punamaagi is helping me by adding some final decorations on those dungeons, too. At least I hope so :kaoswt:
    • The game comes in three difficulty settings. Casual mode is for newbies in the genre, basically what you'd call "Story Mode". There's Normal (that is still easier than dungeon crawlers usually are) and then there's Veteran which plays by the normal rules. More on those on the itch.io page (opening soon...ish)
    • The player can select from five different classes for the two main characters. They have their own skills, which should work as intended.
    • You can recruit more characters in the Adventurer's Guild after completing the first main quest. These adventurers are male and female variants of each class, and they have randomly generated (proper English, too) names! I copied my IGMC17 name generator events and modified them for this entry. I might upload the events for everybody else to use, too! (Not that they're fancy, but they do the job alright)
    • The game has 21 music tracks, most not so commonly used (except for two, they're all from paid DLC packs)
    • I'm going to revise the class selection screens. Right now they don't show classes innate abilities (the Thief class, for example, gets a bonus to critical hit chance and has a lower chance of being targeted). I'm also going to remove a few details that I find insignificant. They're in embedded pictures, so fixing them takes some time.
    • I had planned (and somewhat mapped, too) a third dungeon. It was the first multi-level dungeon in the game, too. Too bad it didn't fit in because of time constraints.
    • I'm going to write up the missing dialogue for the town NPCs during the judging period. After that I'm going to continue the main quest.
    • The skills use stock battle animations, I'm going to fix that sometime.
    • I'm not happy with the current battle flow, so I'm going to spend some time tweaking it further. One thing I want to do is to change the commands to use icons instead of text, and add help windows for them.
    • Once the game gets more content, it will eventually need more music as well. I still have loads of music from DLC packs, so I'm going to dig some good ones for the game.
    • A custom Title Screen would be nice.
    • Finally get rid of the default game font and use my own. This means, of course, that I have to go through all dialogue and descriptions... again. But it will be worth it, I hope.
    • More equipment will be added. I have two slots for accessories for each character, but no accessories to speak of! That will be fixed.
    • I'm going to re-organize the common events and database in general some day. Doing it now would only mean that the game would be broken right away, so I'm leaving that for the judging period (where we can't upload new versions of the game anyway)
    • More classes, maybe? I've set up the system for a total of 15 classes, maybe I won't be using them all but I'll probably create more than the current five.
    • Proper 3D dungeons. Whether it will be by implementing FPLE plugin or by my own coding, we will see.
    • Minimap for said dungeons. Because once the dungeons become bigger and more complex, getting lost might happen far easier than right now.
    • A system for upgrading weapons. I'm thinking of a system similar to a game I recently played where you randomly gain upgraded versions of gear you have equipped. I hope I can manage that with the plugins I'm currently using.
    • More dungeons, of course! What's a dungeon crawler without dungeons...
    • More main quests.
    • Side quests in form of Guildhouse quests which give onetime bonuses (in form of titles, which I will probably add as an unequippable item that is forced on the heroes) and then there's the common Tasks (think of them as repeatable quests, basically another way to grind XP and money).
    Well, that pretty much sums it up (or at least I can't think of anything else at the moment).

Good luck to all of you in the contest. :kaoluv:I'm itching to play some of the entries already. (Which reminds me, I'll probably whip up another master list like last year, just check my signature to see what I mean).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chez Unfortunately, I did have to fix it (due to that event messing up another) so he just flops now sadly.

And just over 2 days to go. Still feels like I have a lot to get done (as I haven't updated all the placeholders yet or solve a problem with my Wait events on a scene) but boy, this has been a fun if tiring month. Would probably be a lot more confident in how much I have done if I hadn't spent my time today fixing my dyslexic plugin calls.
    That being said, the story has progressed quite a bit, I've got two people to train skills (was going to use a Plugin for it but not comfortable with how it works so good old events for me) as well as the battle system mostly sorted out. Just have to tweak that stuff and make sure everything (minus side quests) equals out to the hour of play.
    So here's a scene/area that is mostly done, I just need to fix the fog and change at least one of the animations.

Good luck to everyone that has entered! It's definitely interesting to see all the different styles people are going with for the game.

6. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine The Mapgician Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Some of you here know I lost all my project on day 17. What some of you didn't know is that I actually decided to continue developing Heartland. And left only with 13 days, I today can say I did it. After eight years of not finishing anything, here it is, my very first game ever, now published!

Heartland IGMC 2018 Submission

(For a more detailed submission, see its itch.io page here clicking this link!)

If someone is up to give it a try, I would pretty much appreciate it!

@ProGM: man, that looks so original and beautiful. Really good looking. Btw, I've to say, I played Little Briar Rose back then in IGMC... what? 2015? Don't remember now haha, and I loved it.

7. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :kaothx:Wow, the games that are coming out near the end for IGMC looks good. I look forward to seeing them all finished, hard to say who is my top fave since I haven't played them all yet, but I have my eyes on a handful.

And I guess I should also report in since I did post on here LOL. It's very short but I am happy that I reached my goal of joining the jam and make myself a game by the end of the month deadline! https://dragoonwys.itch.io/specter-crypt-or-crime

8. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last minute pani--I mean creation spree ahoy!

I admit, this month turned out to be lot less productive for me than I anticipated. Still, I've managed to pull at least some of my weight by coming up with some dialogue and database stuff for the joint project with @Zelgadis85 plus decorating the maps. If I have time and energy left tonight, I might hone the town view a little... I feel tempted to try another colouring method: it's been too long since I last did digital art, so the current version doesn't really meet my own standards, haha. >.>'

Tomorrow will be the day for testing and final touches (in addition to work), and hopefully we'll have a decent, working version to submit by Friday.

Marquise* and Zelgadis85 like this.
  9. SeaPhoenix

SeaPhoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love the varied art styles and ideas in all the screenshots here! Now that we're down to the last 30+ hours, I'm sure a lot of people are frantically playtesting for bugs and putting on finishing touches, but I just wanted to say good luck to everyone and congratulations on finishing a game!

Marquise*, Zelgadis85, Dezue and 2 others like this.
  10. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    huubz, Marquise*, Roden124 and 2 others like this.
  11. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Zelgadis85 Thanks :o

@Faye Valentine happy you've enjoyed LBR! It was... IGMC 2014 °[]° SO MUCH TIME AGO.

Hooooowever, I'm happy to show you the... INTRO!

huubz, Gabrelik, Marquise* and 7 others like this.
  12. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool intro @ProGM !

Well, I'm finally at the beginning of the first and only dungeon. I'm playtesting the battles and trying to make sure the skill level up system and random drop mechanics are working. Then I'll be trying to make some puzzles. I still have a bunch of rooms to make. I... don't think I have time to finish all of this. XD

13. Chez

Chez TheLastYuriSamurai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ?So I'm very confused as to what to upload to Itch? I deployed the game and it is properly encrypted, but I don't know what to select when uploading it to itch? I don't see an .exe file?

14. Deletrius

Deletrius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Yep, I have one
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I assume you turn the thing into an archive, a zip or rar file, so that one file contains the whole game. I've seen some people turn the game into one big .exe, but whether that is a good idea :/

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Congratulation for all who finished IGMC and if I was mean I would try a tough love type of encouragement;

Please finish the game -just not like in Tron-. Just do not abandon. ^^

Zelgadis85 and Dezue like this.
  17. MrB

MrB Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I'm.. done?

Sure.
    I'm done. I'm not going to do more. I didn't do what I planned on doing, never finished the second dungeon, nor did I add the second extra world. But there's an hour playtime in there I think so. It's ok?
    I mean, I learned a lot from this project. I am not planning to continue with this exact project anyways. It's meant to be a demo. And if people like it? I'm starting over. Make it better, make the code more efficient. If I find people to help me, perhaps port it to another engine, and truly make my own battle system. So there is no use in tweaking this version any more right?
    Well.., maybe a bit more bug fixing?

Definitely not going to add more content.

Maybe tweak the boss fights?
    Hmm... or add more gear?
    A couple more skills and attacks?

No. I'm done.

This is it.

https://hiimb.itch.io/dcay

So uhm.. Please play and let me know what you think ._.

Marquise*, huubz, Roden124 and 4 others like this.
  18. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17/18 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aaaaand... It's out.

https://zelgadis85.itch.io/igmc18

I'm heading off to bed now (it's around 1 AM here in Finland) and when I wake up I'll start building that game master list I promised.

Marquise*, huubz, Roden124 and 4 others like this.
  19. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been a crazy month! @Plueschkatze , @hiddenone , @futrchamp and I are so looking forward to trying out some of these projects! We've just submitted Fading Remnants, so feel free to check it out and let us know what you think! Another year, another IGMC down. And now for the really fun part, the playtime! xD

Marquise*, eluukkanen, huubz and 6 others like this.
  20. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well... I have to admit that I didn't get as much done this month (either) as I had hoped. I feel a bit guilty about it because this time the lack of energy and/or motivation didn't effect just me but also my joint project partner, and I can only hope that it doesn't affect our feedback in IGMC too negatively. .__. We did manage to finish the project, though, so that's at least something.

I think I'll spend the final day of November resting (and doing some cleaning). Congratulations to everyone who met their goals this month and everyone who managed to get at least something done this month: hopefully you can feel satisfied with your project and keep working!

Dezue and Zelgadis85 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.