IGMC and November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    So I was finally able to decide on what idea to work and it turns out it was neither of the three that were still in the running yesterday.
    I'll be working on Fairy Cabs, a (time) management game, where you work at a cab/package service. If it sounds familiar, there's such a service in my LRRH game, so I guess this can be considered a spin-off. I'll be using a different engine than the main game though. I've never actually finished anything in MV, so I want to try and see if I can now. :)

As for progress tonight (because I was still undecided during the day), I've mapped the basic layouts of four different rooms the most important being the front desk. This is where the MC is going to be working, at least in the IGMC version.

I do fear I won't be able to event a proper system though :/ I just have little to no idea how to start on this, so it's going to be a learning lesson.

Marquise*, Dezue and Plueschkatze like this.
  2. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I worked all day and then made dinner. Do I have to IGMC today?:blink: Hopefully catch my third wind. Went through the second hours ago and get started... or just take a nap on the couch.

Dezue likes this.
  3. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For my entry I'm going with an adventure puzzle game. Title pending, but its this lighthearted spy game where you are two spies who are trying to break into a corrupt noble's mansion to steal something.

First day for me was mostly mapping the introduction map and first puzzle room. Editing tilesets as I go, so far, most of them are color swaps which was done unsurprisingly fast!

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  4. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Today I got the plugins done and I've starting working on the Menus and databasing. I hope to get all the mechanical stuff done in the first 2 weeks, so that the other 2 weeks I can save for art. Though since this year is a prototype contest, I am not too worried about the art.

Plueschkatze likes this.
  5. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Day one of IGMC2018 is over for me and I think I got quite a lot done.
    I did setup a new project, throw in the plugins I knew I'd need and start eventing an inventory system, dialogue system and one other system.

A lot of rough, sketchy placeholder art! And the font will be exchanges soon-ish.

evented backpack

dialogue system beginning

and here's a rough sketch of the first map :)
    [​IMG]

Storywise we still have to figure out a few open questions, but it will be an adventure game set in a overgrown post-apocalyptic world. I'm sure one of us will talk more indepth about these parts as everything gets finalized more.

I hope everyone has a great time!

Citali, Marquise*, Drifter92 and 11 others like this.
  6. hadecynn

hadecynn Abyss of Oblivion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Starting with what I know best. Animations:

[​IMG]

Story?
    Characters?
    What are they, are they tasty?

(It's gonna be a loooooooong month...)

7. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welp, I've never done this before, but since my project will be for IGMC, I think it's a good idea to get a bit more organized. XD

Here's what I've done on this first day:
    • Created character personalities/roles
    • Brainstormed story/events as a guideline
    • Made main character designs (Excluding colors)
    • Brainstormed Battle/Text Mechanics
    • Tested tileset and sprite looks with placeholders
    Not as much as I wanted to get done, but hey- it's a good start! :kaopride:

Marquise* likes this.
  8. lemongreen

lemongreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Managed to get a fair bit done. The characters are still a bit rough, but I've got plenty of time to work the edges out on that. I did manage to get the battle system mostly shaped the way I want it (now to get the database together so it functions properly enough)
    The only thing I'm not sue on is how to do the menu. I'm leaning a bit towards just eventing the whole thing since I'm not all that great with coding, but I'm not sure how well that might go over.
    Tomorrow I'm probably going to start on mapping since I'm not going to have that much time to work, so might as well focus on a part I like.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Progress: Fixing bugs in my game while my little brother playtests the game and finds bugs to fix and improvements to make..

Marquise* likes this.
  10. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Plueschkatze
    I hate you guys already! So depressed! And I was so proud of myself yesterday.

Lol

Ah well, I’ll judt have to plow on and hope I can make my game as engaging as I can!

But really all the stuff you guys have done is amazing. Not just talking about @Plueschkatze and team, but everyone so far! Keep going!!!!

Marquise* and Plueschkatze like this.
  11. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I may or may not be making a resident evil/sweet home inspired game

Marquise*, dragoonwys, Dezue and 4 others like this.
  12. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Please don't get discouraged. I think everyone who's sticking with it and finishing something in time does an AMAZING job, and will learn a lot... I bet a lot of us will come up with awesome concepts! And Games. And Art. Your start looks good! And it's only been a day, you got plently of time to polish and refine and get everything to work :)

Marquise*, l8rose and Gabrelik like this.
  13. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Plueschkatze
    don;t worry, I'm not discouraged, though I do wish I had the resources to do everything I want, but I'm happy with my start, and will continue to be happy with the game I'm making. lol.

I do wish everyone luck! Now that I finally am done with my chores for the day, I am now gonna curl up on my sofa, xfiles on tv, and sort out the rest of my first dungeon. I'm hoping I'll have it done by the end of the day!

Gabrelik and Plueschkatze like this.
  14. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Goal for this month is to complete the Hour long portion for IGMC along with continuing redoing the graphics on Starshard as well as get out the longer demo... SS might just be pushed to the side again this month.

So far, I've managed to come up with my basic plot and the main characters for IGMC.
    Still trying to decide whether to use default MV Sprites or to create/find other ones but I at least have an idea on how many sprites I'll need to make a "lived in" town.
    Otherwise haven't done much yet beyond the initial planning stage.

Good luck to everyone this month!

SmashArtist likes this.
  15. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh boy, looking at these progress images and videos makes me feel like my game will just end up feeling like another RPG Maker game. :kaocry: Too bad I can't code no matter how hard I try. XD

On another note, here is what I have planned today:
    • Decide on a pixel style to go with
    • Make floor, wall and roof tiles
    • Make all basic maps (rough drafts)
    • Design character colors
    • Maybe make character walk sprites (or just animate blank base character)
    Nevertheless, I wish good luck to everyone! Hopefully this will at least be a chance for more motivation to finish a game(or at least a demo) for those of us who struggle with it. :kaohi:

Gabrelik and l8rose like this.
  16. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok so my nap turned into sleeping from 730pm until 6am this morning and then from 830am-11am. Got a few hours in on my project before the night shift starts.

Got an idea and a few early character designs and a semi rough draft for the story. Started working on a map to get the feels for it. Need to actually start working on mechanics soon.

Dezue and l8rose like this.
  17. futrchamp

futrchamp Musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thrilled to say that I'll be joining together again with @Plueschkatze, @hiddenone and @Gabrelik, some of my favorite people on this planet, for this year's IGMC :kaopride:I love the dynamic we have as a team, and I know this year's project will be every bit as fun as the last! We've all grown in a lot of ways since then and I can't wait to share some of what we put together with everyone here - The surreal, post-apocalyptic landscape we're crafting in this project has a lot of room for me to stretch my composition skills, and I think you guys will really like the music.

Good luck to everyone entering this year, your progress posts are already looking fantastic and motivating me to strive for the best in my own work. Believe in your ideas and talents, and (as I've learned from experience) make sure to take care of your mental/physical health :kaoluv:

And, of course, thank you to Degica for putting on such an awesome opportunity for indie devs. Happy IGMC everyone!

18. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am mainly an art person so that is where I am starting. Have some story thought up, but it helps me so much to be able to see my characters.
    (The sketches are full body so I would know how I would do the sprites, but I will only do busts when I go to make finished versions)
    I am going to go for a light hearted horror game.
    Sprites are a work in progress, I don't do pixel art often.
    Image a lil big
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think my goals are really loose this first week. It's just get stuff done kind of thing :kaohi:

19. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    My goal of today was to event the first customer, which I finished pretty fast (yay!). Testing took so long, because for one reason or another the event I interacted didn't want to start. Apparantely that was due to me using a tile graphic, instead of a "character" graphic, which so weird because either works fine in RMXP. Ah well, I changed it and it works, so that's what matters :)

Extra stuff I did:
    • I also just finished adding a second customer, as soon as the first one leaves and it's looping rather nicely. I still have to add a reward/demerit system though.
    • I'm using "custom" balloon images to show what the customer needs. There's four options: either they want some information, a cab, send a package or receive a package. I'm not sure about the current one I'm using for receiving a package, namely a piece of paper. If anyone has a better idea I'd like to hear it. ^^
    • Replaced some of the placeholder tiles. In-universe crystals balls are used as phones, so you will find one glowing from time to time at the front desk. However, that one is only used for customers, so you'll also need something to contact the package center and the cab planners. I figured it would be boring to click the same crystal ball all the time and it would be confusing to have three of them, so instead you'll be using enchanted dolls to contact those departments.

Marquise*, dragoonwys, Dezue and 2 others like this.
  20. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    UPDATE

Day 2 of the IGMC.

Unfortunately my productivity suffered today, I had a dentist appointment this morning. Anyway, onto what I’ve actually done so far.

I did a lot of mapping last night, and got the shell of the Witchfinders Keep, my first dungeon done. I’ve spent today putting some aesthetics into the maps, columns and wall decoration and stuff.

I have also started making a list of what I need to database. I have my skills generally worked out, as well as items, armour etc. Data basing is my worst enemy, so I’m hoping to make it fairly simple this time around. I have also chosen my enemy battlers, tiles, and the like. The battlers aren’t what I want, but if I have time at the end, I may try to make some myself. No promises though.

It is entirely possible that I may not even have an hour worth of gameplay, which means I may have to add something on, but we’ll do that if needs be.

But because I can’t bear to leave you guys without something to look at, here is the outside of the Witchfinders Keep.

There may not be much progress tomorrow either, as I’m babysitting my wonderful little niece, and then myself and my husband are curling up to watch some scary films and eat lots of junk food tomorrow afternoon/evening. However I hope to get more done on Thursday and Friday during the day, and Saturday I’m pulling an all-nighter (the husband is away for the night! So lots of game making in bed I think lol).

I’m hoping to have as much done as possible before I go back to work after Halloween break on Monday so I have plenty of time to play with the game to make it good.

Sorry there’s not better news today!

Marquise* and Dezue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.