Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can hardly believe how fast the last few days have flown by! Thank you @Jesse - PVGames and @slimmmeiske2 for commenting about my art dilemma. Both of you are right to use my own to stand out and to use the RTP style right now as a stand in until I get more time. Thank you both! I fully intend to draw out the characters in my own style when I get the time. I shouldn't be so nervous about it as I am. Everyone here on the forums has their own unique style their doing and it is all just so wonderful. I already started on one of the characters, but progress has been a little slow. Let me explain...

I spent the last few days working on the first level of my dungeon. It is a large one, so designing it was slow. Then I had to create custom graphics for the dungeon. What took up a good portion of my time, other than making the dungeon, was an animated bridge that rises out of the lake in the cave. This bridge is loooooong, so I broke it into sections that lift out of the lake. Got that evented and working great and it looks awesome. Just need to do some final touches with it so that water splashes off the platform.

I also have the title designed for my game.

Astrafalla.png

Still have a lot left to do. I haven't really touched the database, I have areas for monsters and bosses planned but not implemented. The same goes for my story, I have an idea for a plot direction but I haven't worked on that yet either. Hopefully when I finish my large cave map this week, I can get to doing the other things.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome I love the style of art for your cut scene! And how do you do that progress table? I remember it from last year, very organized!
@lemongreen When was the Ancient Dungeons tileset was redone for MV! Or did you resize it?
@P_Kun I love your guys art style! Very well done! I can't wait to see more!
@l8rose I am enjoying your bust art style! I am eager to see what she looks like finished.

To everyone else that I haven't gotten a chance to shout out to, you are all doing such a wonderful job!

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena I'd second that using your own art is the best way to make your game unique, interesting and 'your own'. I don't mind the standard RPGM graphics at all, but it's just that more interesting to me to see different art styles and to try to see the person behind the art.
So, I vote for using your own art in the final game, as long as it's possible time wise :) Cool game logo btw!

@Jesse - PVGames Haha, a Quidget cameo is a cool idea, I'll try to make that happen somewhere (just not too obvious XD).
And yes, Quidget was always meant to be a (rather funny and silly) adult game. We've released two 'alpha' versions so far, if you fancy a play
76vHqMk.png

Now obviously I can't link to them, but you'll find the public releases on our ******* with one click on my banner below ;)

As for our project, we have the walkthrough down, all rooms planned and I've finally managed to finish the first screen :D

Bon appetit and stay funky,
Dez

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Guardinthena thanks! I’m enjoying my little cutscenes! Lol. As to my progress table, I make it in word and then copy and save it by itself using gimp. It’s a good way for me to know what I need to do! Lol

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congrats, @Avery , on your internship!!! That is awesome.

I haven't posted in a bit, so I thought it would be a good time.

Simple goals. Knock out all of the maps for the next 3 areas and decide on what area to do next!

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Omg I've been mapping this forest ALL DAY. There are a ton of mistakes, and I haven't added any details and clutter, just trees, grass, and water, but I'm way to tired to keep going. I kinda hate this tileset, but it looks so pretty... orz

xY15X7z.png

The whole map is 6 times the size of the screenshot, and I also included one of the new enemies in there. Because i was testing how they'd move on the map. This may or may not be a stealth section, I haven't decided yet..

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, @Elissiaro, love that map, looks very foresty!
I also like how you can walk under the tree leaves, gives a good feeling of how small you are compared to the trees.
Awesome job. :kaoluv:

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena I tend to reuse/resize a lot of tiles, especially since I have a pretty sizable backlog of both official resource packs and stuff from sites that aren't really around anymore. So yeah, it's just resized (some tiles look better than others)

To the update for today, I at least got the beginning scene done (finally) but I'm struggling with making the next area's map. I'm thinking of making it the only parallax map in the game, because it's mostly in engine restrictions that's making it hard. It's also due to the fact that I'm doing a lot of outdoor maps, and that really isn't my strength. Either that or I may just break them up into much smaller maps where each section is just one important thing, and then block off unused exits so that the areas seem bigger. I'll probably go with the second one since it makes slight more sense for a short game not to have huge maps for outdoor areas (unfortunately, I can't test to see how that will wok right now because I have to get up early tomorrow)

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena Thank you!
@Creative Ed and @P_Kun That’s an interesting style, can’t wait to see the finished product you two come up with.
@Elissiaro You’re doing far more with the FSM tiles then I am, that forest map is pretty good.

Well so far today it’s been... sorta productive? Had some time to spare so tried out the idea of doing hand drawn sprites but time vs quality made it pretty clear I won’t have the time to do all the characters without something else suffering so that was scrapped. I did refinish the village map, merchant’s home and got started on my river map. Also made quick "logo" for the title as I was getting tired of seeing the gameFont over and over again, plus I figured out how to use Bandicam to record things so maybe more productive then sort of.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Today I got feedback on my game which inspired me to get more ideas for it! :kaopride:

What I've accomplished today:
  • Character development
  • Clearer draft for storyline
  • Creation and addition of tree tiles
  • Dialogue and narration revamping
  • New story ideas
  • New gameplay mechanic planning
So basically mostly new ideas and polish. Tomorrow I hope to make more basic maps and work on gameplay addition.
Good luck to everyone on their projects! :kaojoy:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
We changed our approach to mapping, as this workflow is faster.
Here's what it looks like now! :)

tryOneMoreTime.png

Still a LOT of work left to be done.
Keep the great work up everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing all those lovely games come to life.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArtist @l8rose
Thanks! Glad to know all that time I spent wasn't wasted. :)

Forest map is now detailed and I think I fixed all the errors. Now I need to fix my previous forest map, because i made the trees 3 tiles tall instead of 2... orz At least that one is only 4 screens big instead of 6.
PfQL641.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Update 9

Ok, now that I’ve been back at work a few days I feel more energetic when I come home. It’s awesome. So I’ve done a few maps to connect the Witchfinders Keep with the Kings Castle. If I have time I will maybe add some other things for the player to do, we’ll see.

I don’t have time to write much, so have some mapshots!

These maps are the main road in Istolia Valley, with connects the various towns and locations of the Valley, hence why it looks so open, in my head it was all once jungle that was slowly cleared away for the roads, leaving only the larger jungle to south of the Valley, which is technically Istolia Jungle, which is dense and definitely way more jungly.

Anyway, you can clearly see I’m getting tired, so enjoy the pics, and goodnight!

Also! Yyou guys are all awesome, I’ve been looking through the thread at work today and have been ever so impressed by everyone’s work so far!

David Lister

Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't make games, but it's been fun following the progress of each of these projects!

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - Love the new maps, they're beautiful!
@Plueschkatze - The hand drawn maps look great! (I assume your new approach is still parallax?)
@Elissiaro - I like the character designs. The maps look nice too, especially that opening scene.
@l8rose - Your character designs are nice... ...interested in seeing all the finished images.

Every evening it's nice to stop by and see the creative energy here - very inspiring! Keep up the great work and I look forward to playing a couple of them.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Decided to take a change of pace and work on some gameplay eventing!

• Created base on map enemy
  • Created base debug rooms and items
I unfortunately encountered a plugin incompatability with some code I used for a feature. Hopefully someone will come help me out, else the feature will have to be scrapped. :kaoswt2:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@David Lister Yes, it's still parallax.

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone. <3

@Dezue Thanks. Love the pumpkin! Hehe.

Everyone, keep up the great work. I love seeing all the progress.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally finished the title screen. To be honest I wanted to make it more creepier just like my original title screen. (Sadly I can't use it :kaocry:). I think I needed more bolder lines. I would love to go back and add them, but knowing me I'll be stuck another night just working on the same image wondering what else I can add. Well, now I have to work on making sprites and then I can work on making multiple faces for my characters. I'll get to that later today or tomorrow. I haven't slept. I can probably squeeze in 1 hour of sleep and then get ready for work. Can only really ever work around 1 am. :kaoslp:

Enigma Dark copy.png
Before.png

WIP 3.png
Title Screen Scph copy.png
I'm getting there. Hopefully

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Keep up the good work everyone.
@Dezue Seems like your game takes inspiration from fairytales. I'll definitely play it :3
@Plueschkatze Looks very nice (as always). This new style does seem like it's easier to get done.

I forgot to post my progress yesterday, so here’s my progress from Tuesday and Wednesday:
  • Added a plugin with the shutdown option: One of those things that annoyed me so hard when MV came out was the removal of the shutdown button. As someone who’s used to playing in full-screen, not having that button forced me to change to windowed mode every time and close it that way. Very player-unfriendly.
  • Added a plugin that allows speech bubble/comic-style messages: I found Galv’s first, but then saw Yanfly had one too with a lot of extra options, so I picked theirs. I still have to actually use it in-game though.
  • Finished the first level: Wasn’t that much work to be honest, since I was mostly copy-paste of the events I made during the first week. Just had to change the parameters a little.
  • Added the heart bonus upgrade: The upgrades to the shop all give bonuses, one of them being an extra life/heart.
  • Made a sprite for the male tourist and found one for the female tourist: They were supposed to be the Level 2 customers, but I switched them over to Level 3. (I don’t remember the reason :kaoswt2:, but I think it had something to do with the added difficulty, while the Level 3 customers (the witches) aren’t that much different from the usual customers).
  • Started on and finished Level 2: Added the witches as new customers. They might curse you to lose an extra life if you make a mistake. There’s also the “special customer” (each level will have one, except the first), in this case the Gingerbread Witch who gives you some candy as an extra reward. The candy adds a life if you lost one already.
I was actually behind schedule at the start of this week, but I was able to make up a lot these two days. So I’m pretty optimistic (for now). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

…I think I might need to switch from standard ATK/DEF up/down buffs to parameter altering states. I just had an actor whose usual attack against an enemy does ~25 do a buffed attack against a debuffed enemy for ~600…
just saw that titan quest is free on steam until the 23rd
Zombie status is now complete. I didn't have to do much in the way of changing how healing is applied to undead targets, was just a simple 3 line code. I thought I had to overhaul Game_Action lol. Everything else was doable by events. So.. Zombie: You turn undead. Your element changes to darkness. You're weak to light, you're strong to physical attacks and healing hurts you and revival items will kill you.
My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JetWentworth