IGMC Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roden124, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Stories? Regrets? Triumphs? Post them in this thread! :kaohi:

Now that polling is closed, let's talk experiences! As for me, well...

I didn't win first place.:kaocry:
    Though, I didn't get disqualified for technical and miscellaneous reasons either,
    so I can still say I, in the most bare and desperate definition of the word, succeeded. :kaopride:

My entry wasn't even designed to compete, it just so happened that the 2018 IGMC
    aligned with my goals for the end of the year. I really needed to sort out how my future games are made;
    Entering was something I had to do.

There's nothing like a good crunch to divulge what you actually want to do with your life!

So yeah, c'mon and rap with us. Let us spin tales of fortune or the absence of such. :kaoluv:

2. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't worry, I didn't win either. ^_~ Though I am pretty happy with where my game placed as it just means I have improvements to be made but that there were some things that people did like about it.

My only regrets was the size (which I now realize is because photoshop kept saving my extra files for parallax mapping inside the game folder instead of the other folder like I set it to) and the two bugs people told me about. Otherwise, I kind of enjoyed the challenge and deadline of having to get something done in one month. Getting it in there, despite the few problems I had, was definitely a win in my book. =]

This was my first Game Jam and it made it clear I need to be better organized for these kinds of things. Which has kind of led to being more organized for my games going forward in general so this was a win win for me.

3. MiracleJester

MiracleJester Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I ended up higher than I expected (#43). It was a really good learning experience, particularly in regards to marketing

Also got super annoyed that I let a couple of bugs slide that definitely affected my ratings

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whhhat? I ranked 117? This result is not real! @.@

Roden124, l8rose and Frogboy like this.
  5. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I wish I'd wasted less time on some things and spent more time on other things, but at least coming 69th is a good conversation opener?

6. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It just goes to show that people are fickle and don't know what the he'll they like. And it helps if your popular.

l8rose and Frogboy like this.
  7. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    #136 I placed for Chaos Dream (2.4 average from 10 ratings), which to me, looking at many of the other entries, seems very low. Makes little sense, but... oh well.

l8rose and Frogboy like this.
  8. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still really disappointed in myself for not getting more done and not fixing the bugs in the last map. But I'm happy I got to participate and actually my game ranked higher than I would have thought. It's given me some insight into the way I work and what I need to do to keep from just struggling with a project and then abandoning it in favor of a new idea. I know next year I'll have something a lot better to submit, and I'll have a lot more done, whether the theme is "make a game in a month" again or something else. I have a better idea of how to manage my time and to plan on making a game using the tools I have rather than trying to do things I don't know how to do. XD

l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  9. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Public rank #65. I didn't expect that lol.
    But anyway, the popular rank doesn't really matter much >.> (unless you're 1st! lol)

Final thoughts: Emh... not much, really. I'm pretty happy with what I made save for a few technical stuff I wish I had the time/skill to implement for the battle system :E

l8rose, Roden124 and Frogboy like this.
  10. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My regret is that I didn't really have a chance to throw something together to even enter this year. I was looking forward to it all year but the timing and theme just didn't work out for me this time around. Hopefully, I'll be back in it next year.

Hyouryuu-Na, l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  11. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I got #113... I'm in the #100's. I'm actually shocked! Ii ws honestly expecting to be somewhere down in the late #200's at the highest. So roud f myself.

I've learnt a lot from this, and will be playing with the game in the future (once I finish Corruption I will be coming back to play with this game and tweak it into a proper game.)

So proud of my game!

l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  12. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Regret is me wanting to fix bugs from a working entry and by doing so transforming it into a broken entry. (I pulled out of the contest, when I realized what I'd done). I'm curious with what rank my game would have ended up though. :(

I don't know if I'll enter next time (if there is one of course). After last year I said I would try working in a team but I ended up going solo again anyway. I also have to admit I still feel drained from IGMC.

dragoonwys, mlogan, Dama and 2 others like this.
  13. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    During the creation part of the contest, I was really REALLY sick. Oh goodness, it was bad too. Coughing, night-sweats, the whole enchilada was down on me like a biblical plague. To be quite honest, I was surprised that I was able to actually submit an entry. Still, it was a great learning experience, and the placement of my entry wasn't too bad (all things considered).

The real takeaway is to be better prepared :)

mobiusclimber, l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  14. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm thinking about trying to put together a team now and maybe work on a short game so we have some experience working together. That way, next contest will go a lot smoother, hopefully. There's gonna be no excuse next year.

l8rose likes this.
  15. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Often, it's down to luck. Our own playerbase is like a passive lottery.
    Will the first comment on your page be a positive or negative one?
    That alone can affect your downloads and ratings.
    It's like this study I heard where the reputation of a videogame preceded its actual quality.
    Subjects were paid to play a game they inferred to be mediocre and, as a result,
    their own reaction to it was lukewarm. I believe the game in question was Plants vs Zombies.

First impressions are everything, but it's first come, first serve for players.
    For better and worse. :kaoswt:

I wouldn't take it too personally. Consider the following:

-Total Ratings (10 vs 100+)
    -Social Connections (People embedded in communities vs lone wolves)
    -Local Flavor (Safe gameplay vs Risks)
    -Dumb Luck (Haters vs Relaters)

The apparent discrepancy in ratings and raw quality is out of our control. :kaocry:
    The 10 people who played your game are not the same 10 people who played Kid McGee's game!

IGMC leads to fun projects but it can easily lead to illness for the ambitious.
    Then we have stress after the game is uploaded because we have to deal with its reception as well,
    not to mention sleep-busting concerns over potentially gamebreaking bugs. :kaoswt2:

Teams are double-edged swords.
    Even a well-oiled machine can be dismantled with a loose screw.
    All you really need is a good plan, teams are ultimately tools like any other.

If it's too stressful to compete, then enter something for fun!
    Regardless of results, IGMC and other game jams are great for exposure.
    Boost them analytics! d(^^)

Mrs_Allykat and l8rose like this.
  16. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or just release something and be damned the consequences.

Mrs_Allykat, l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  17. Dama

Dama Veteran Veteran

182th. This is a huge progress in comparison to my last year igmc that it became some kind of disqualified where no one could make sense out of it. Of course my this year igmc game was also hard to understand. =D
    So for next projects I should really find someone to help me specially in writing the dialogues. Yet I don't know exactly how to find.

18. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I didn't "compete" and entered something for fun. My only goal was to have an entry that would not get DQ-ed, but then it did. Which hit me hard at that time, as last year I got DQ-ed too. (Will I ever be able to enter something that's not broken? Who knows :aswt:)

Honestly this is why I'd like to work in a team. I think the chance of DQ is significantly lower in team than when you go solo. Of course I'd have to find like-minded folks who also just want to enter something and not compete for a prize and I'm not sure how many there are like that :aswt:

l8rose likes this.
  19. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    #96...well, it was my 1st atempt ever so i think it's better than what i was expecting and my project's plot was messy and many people complained about the camera sling effect when the character walks.

Roden124, mobiusclimber and l8rose like this.
  20. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Same here, first attempt too. I forgot to mention that earlier. Oh, and it looks like I finished up at #106.

Roden124, mobiusclimber and l8rose like this.