IGMC Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roden124, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, sorry for the assumption!

In any case, I think a good rule in general is to save the last week of development for last-minute polishing.
    I think we've all learned a lesson on how much time that actually eats up.

When it comes to teams, definitely be ready for anything. Communication is critical.
    Be prepared to carry the load, because shenanigans may assuredly happen.

slimmmeiske2 and l8rose like this.
  2. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I already wrote up my Postmortem. Glad I entered. Wish I had focused on the important stuff earlier. Don't try to write an rpg engine in a month.

l8rose and Roden124 like this.
  3. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    No worries :)

And yes, making sure you have enough time for polishing is definitely necessary, but the most important lesson for me is this:
    Ask someone (whether it's someone online or your sibling or your friend or your dog) to play your game before the deadline. This includes any update you do as well. Just let them check if everything works on their system and if they can play up to 10 minutes.

4. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To be honest this was my first time entering IGMC. I was really excited at first, but I don't know if I like IGMC, because I got a low rank, and out of all honesty it made me feel like I have no potential. I want to improve, but I feel that this IGMC gave me bad feelings about my potential I never want to feel again.

5. MiracleJester

MiracleJester Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    You will keep feeling like this any time you publish a game anywhere. The idea is to keep improving and learning. Keep making games. The next one might still be received badly, but with each game you will see improvement, until you finally make that gem everybody likes

Kyuukon and Roden124 like this.
  6. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got 80th? That's pretty cool, didn't expect that! This was my first time entering a game jam and its exactly like I pictured it to be, fun and got the thrill of the rush for a month. I'm glad I jumped into the pool this year, I finished my only goal of making a game, it was really nice to read the comments I got and I learnt quite some stuff on the way in regards to streamlining events via scripting. Don't think I can ever join something like this competitively due to various reasons, but def something I can imagine joining again for fun. Its like a little something to spice up my day after work, healthy 1 month dose of cram. If I don't feel burnt out whenever the next one comes around, maybe I can try building a team game for a different dev experience, will have to see lol

@slimmmeiske2
    Yeah I read that on your thread, it's a bummer on what happened to your game. :rswt I liked it tho, gave it 4 stars when I voted since it only needed technical tweaking and polish which can be given with more time in my opinion.

slimmmeiske2 and Roden124 like this.
  7. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  8. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're not alone. Honestly, I think everyone feels this way.

There were games I felt were destined for top prize that didn't even place.
    Not even close.

It is kind of nice to know that good aesthetics don't persuade the public
    as much as one thinks, though.

Only you can decide your own potential.
    The sample size of this contest is too small to despair over,
    and nothing's stopping us from pretending a bad launch never happened!

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. :kaopride:

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I managed to get 107th. And I'm super proud of that. I mean, that's out of 330 entries.
    And considering I worked so slowly that I didn't even have time to add all the busts I made, and missed a (fixable by replacing an image)bug right at the very start of the game... That's pretty amazing.
    Plus last year I didn't even manage to get a game into the contest cause I got confused about the submission process. So I got super happy just looking at the analytics as the views and downloads went up.
    I'm gonna keep working of my gamemaking (and time managing skills...). Maybe next year I'll do even better! :)

slimmmeiske2, Roden124 and mlogan like this.
  10. Lord Kuro

Lord Kuro Villager Member

I kind of have mixed feelings about how I did this time around. I let a bunch of RL stuff get in the way of making my entry this year, and I almost didn't submit it because of how poorly it turned out. On the other hand, it not only didn't get DQed, but it even made it up to 157th in the rankings (which is higher than it deserves, honestly). So I'm glad that I'm getting better at RPGMaker, but also kind of bummed because I didn't really pour my heart into this entry like I did with last year's entry.

Roden124 likes this.
  11. MiracleJester

MiracleJester Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
  12. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's so awesome seeing not just one but two of my friends games place in top 10!

13. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I saw that and came to say the good word! Then I got ninja'd. :ninja:

So it seems a few of the candidates I suspected to be top ten material made it after all.
    I'm actually surprised by one of the finalists, but in a good way!
    It's great to know a gamebreaking bug won't kill your chances as long as it appears late enough.
    Also, you don't have to "score well" to win; you just have to prove yourself to the right people.
    I quite liked their entry so I'm glad it got the chance it deserved.

I played half of the top ten. Considering that most of those appeared in a single thread (19 games out of 333),
    this is darn impressive.:kaopride:

14. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    list.png
    It looks like the judges liked our game so much it made the list twice! :guffaw: But seriously, congrats to everyone who got a game entered, there were so many great games that I'm sure the judges had trouble making a decision. Even if you don't think your game was as good as it could have been, that just means you've grown as a dev and can bring that knowledge into your next project. :)

Looking back, there's a lot I wish we could've done, since our original plans were actually way different than the final results, but I'm happy that we were able to finish something (and that people seemed to like it!). It turned out way different than our last game we made together, and I think challenging ourselves to make something a bit out of our comfort zone really paid off. So don't be afraid to try something new, though doing if for a contest may not be the smartest move.

15. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hiddenone Congratulations to you and your team! Funnily enough, I liked more your Dear Edwin last year than Fading Remnants :3 but probably it's just a matter of taste :p Well done!

16. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Grats!

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Congratulation everyone. ^^ You are all my champions to had jumped in to participate,

Roden124 likes this.