Ignoring Actors when accessing Skills list

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey folks. I am making a game on RPG Maker VX Ace which isn't too RPG-heavy, and as a result, most of the information and menus are useless. I only have one playable actor for the entire game. I was wondering if there is a way to bypass the actor selection when selecting 'Skills' from the pause menu? I want it so as soon as you press 'Skills' for it to load my skills list. On a side note, I have removed the 'Status' window because that's another window that I don't need. I have also removed the 'Equip' option.

Any help is appreciated.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Go to scene menu, find the handler for the skill option, then re-route it to directly open the scene skill instead of activating the menu status window

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My scripting abilities are quite poor. Bit more in-depth help please?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, you only originally asked if it's possible... XD...

I'm gonna patch up something, just wait

EDIT: try this one, put it above any script that might be aliasing command_personal,

Code:
  class Scene_Menu  def command_personal    if @command_window.current_symbol == :skill      $game_party.menu_actor=$game_actors[id_of_your_actor]      SceneManager.call(Scene_Skill)      return    end    @status_window.select_last    @status_window.activate    @status_window.set_handler(:ok,     method(:on_personal_ok))    @status_window.set_handler(:cancel, method(:on_personal_cancel))  endend

Last edited by a moderator:

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I put the script under Materials and set the actor ID as 001. Is that the correct ID? Anyway, this is what I get. (Please see screenshot.)

Screenshot 2014-03-15 12.30.53.png

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it should just be 1, never ever put the starting 0s to something that asks for the ID...

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I changed it to just 1, same error message.  ;_;

Gambit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hmm... Try this:

Code:
class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase  alias gam_req_razey_command_personal command_personal  def command_personal    if @command_window.current_symbol == :skill      $game_party.menu_actor = $game_party.members[0]      SceneManager.call(Scene_Skill)    else      gam_req_razey_command_personal    end  endend

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm... Try this:

class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase alias gam_req_razey_command_personal command_personal def command_personal if @command_window.current_symbol == :skill $game_party.menu_actor = $game_party.members[0] SceneManager.call(Scene_Skill) else gam_req_razey_command_personal end endend
That isn't working either. I get the exact same error message as before. I have attached a screenshot of what my pause menu looks like so you have an idea of the things I removed from it. Thanks for the help so far though, dudes.

Screenshot 2014-03-15 17.38.02.png

Gambit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you're just using the default Scene_Menu with your modifications then I would recommend posting it so we can see what you did. The scripts work in a new project so it is likely a side effect of your changes. When you click Skills now what happens? Do you get the same issue?

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here are three screenshots.

The first one shows exactly where I pasted your script. Also, as you can see, I am using other 3rd party scripts too which I failed to mention before, but really should've lol.

Screenshot 2014-03-15 17.50.17.png

The second two show where I have made edits in the main script.

Screenshot 2014-03-15 17.50.58.png

Screenshot 2014-03-15 17.53.29.png

Gambit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So as expected I'm assuming you wanted to remove the status window since you only have one actor as mentioned above. Remove the '#' in front of create_status_window since this is causing the issue.

Then replace the other script I provided with this one which will hide the status window without breaking things:

Code:
class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase  alias gam_req_razey_command_personal command_personal  def command_personal    if @command_window.current_symbol == :skill      $game_party.menu_actor = $game_party.members[0]      SceneManager.call(Scene_Skill)    else      gam_req_razey_command_personal    end  end    alias gam_req_razey_create_status_window create_status_window  def create_status_window    gam_req_razey_create_status_window    @status_window.hide  endend

RazeyMclovin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the late reply. I was out. Anyway, it's working now. Thanks for the help!  :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got the menu problem sorted out, now most of the systems are in place and I can focus on the plot and the maps!
Im really Happy that the MZ Hero looks like a Boy than a Man.
What the community thinks hackers do:
"Ok, now let's just type in the /win command, and... done!"

What hackers actually do:
"Alright, so I have a high jump mod installed, now I can just jump over everyone and be sneaky until I'm the last one standing."
When you gotta make a new tileset for each building because of a few differences.

20/24 done. Still no clue waht to put in 24, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reyneke