Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Iliza

SYNOPSIS

• Iliza is a game that will follow the story of a young girl, through her life and onwards. The basics: she discovers that she is a witch, and is set to attend a school that exists between worlds. The long of it: Her aunt wants to use her to get to a gem that would allow her to take over all of creation.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

upload_2019-1-30_22-29-7.png
This is Young Iliza- the one that you start the game as. This is just one of two face sheets.

upload_2019-1-27_19-8-6.png

This is a screenshot of her room at the beginning. You can see a couple of the events I planned.

upload_2019-1-27_19-22-52.png

This is one of the buildings that will be in front of the school- or, at least, the inside of it.

CHARACTERS
  • Iliza Bennings: A young girl/woman with dark hair and purple eyes. Her magic covers a wide range of abilities and will grow throughout the game
  • Nina: Iliza's familiar, a flamepoint siamese cat. Clever and occasionally sarcastic
  • Meridith Langely: Iliza's Aunt, and the main antagonist of the game. She controls Iliza's parents from the moment of Iliza's birth, in the hopes that Iliza will grow up to trust her completely.
  • Cassianna Bennings: Iliza's mother, who will dote on her immensely once freed from the control of her sister. As a child, she was prevented from bonding with her familiar by her elder sister, Meridith. This resulted in her magic petering out to nothing, and her mind hazing as her sister slowly took control.
  • Nathaniel Bennings: Iliza's father. He himself was never of any kind of magic, and did not know that Magic ever existed
  • Lacey Rain: Iliza's teacher and the one to rescue her, and unite her with Nina. She will be a majorly recurring character
  • Lady Librarian: her name is really all I have at this point, other than her face. (I made her in the extended generator and decided she wasa cute enough to be an addition.
  • Mrs. Zenwurth: The gardener, caretaker and main alchemist of the Realis staff.
  • They are joined by a list of several dozen NPCs from connecting pieces of the game, which have not been designed yet.

The character list may be subject to change over time, as I work on the game.Please let me know if you would like the face sheets for the characters above added to the thread.

STORYLINE/PLOT

You will begin as 6 year old Iliza, who spent her beginning years of life ignored by her family, while being taken care of by a stream of uninterested nurses and maids.
It IS set in the modern era, but there will be aspects of other times throughout the game.
One night, upon going to bed, Iliza finds herself walking through a vast world that seems to hold a school of sorts... A kind old woman greets her in her home, and explains that she is in danger, and must find something... Her familiar, to be exact. Her whole life, Iliza has been a witch, but not known about it.
At the point that she wakes up, she discovers that her parents have hired yet another maid to take care of her. This maid is in fact a woman who was sent by the school she saw, to help her.
I haven't got much game-play beyond this point. But here are the plans:

Upon finding her familiar (a kitten she will name Nina), the woman, Lacey Rain, will take her to the school, Realis.

Here, she will spend a few "weeks" (in-game time) alone with Nina, so that the two can form a proper bond. She is told that without that necessary bonding time between the two, she will never have full access to her powers, and would be in danger because of this.

From there, the player will (hopefully) have several options for leveling up.
-Training on the school grounds, against other students, and THEIR familiars
-Battling against wild monsters on the school grounds
-Taking classes around the school
-Reading booksThere will also be books that can be carried in order to create certain effects, such as turning your familiar into a human for a while. Some may be usable at intervals to gain small amounts of EXP.

I am currently trying to decide whether to allow the player to level up to a certain level, and THEN have a timeskip, or whether to just allow the player to timeskip, and then let them explore and level up.

But at a certain point in the gameplay, the player will transition to 13 year old Iliza, who will be given the ability to explore other worlds- these will be worlds that I am working on for my books and such.

The game will continue with 13-14 year old Iliza for a while, with her being able to explore with free reign throughout the entire "Megaverse", as I am calling it.

This willl include several worlds, some of which will have sub-worlds, or even alternate worlds to themselves.

Eventually, Iliza will discover a pocket dimension- a sort of void that will contain a small plane of existence, an object, and two girls. The two girls are perfect monochrome negatives of each other, and they were assigned at birth to guard the object. The sleep an eternal sleep, wrapped around the object

The object is a small crystal that is referred to as the Heart of Worlds, or simply the Origin Stone. Within it is the magic that controls all of creation, and allows magic to flow freely throughout the universes.

Iliza' Aunt, Meridith is actually after this stone. She means to smash it and take control of the magic inside.

SETTING
  • Worlds:
    • Realis: The hub world, or Center, where the school is. Realis is a sort of slurry of all the magic that flows through the many universes. The students of the school are from every single universe, and many are not entirely human.
    • Psydelia: A universe best referred to as an amalgamation of all imagination and creative possibility. All ideas, benign and malignant, have passed through here and either become a reality, or fizzled out.There are hundreds of planets, and thousands of species in this amazing spread of reality.
    • Xarkten: One world of many that is to be rescued from the destruction of its universe. For that spot of history, though, it will be an entirely separate game of its own in the future. This world was created by the conscious mind of its universe, and then the planet itself created the races that populate it, as a means to have company.

There will be other worlds, and sub-worlds, but they have yet to be created or even designed.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6eekzl7w87361dx/AACFDrruEpShiUySUlqxN8lga?dl=0
Iliza Demo- Version2

-changed Realis Map
-Added NPCs who will explain about themselves a bit.
-Can explore the first floor of the school.
-To get to the credits, go through one of the two black doorways near registration offices A and B

The main advice that I would like at the moment is pacing...
How am I doing with it? How should I go about it with the classes at the school, and characters that the player will meet in the game?
Is there anything in the already-available playable parts that should be changed?

demo-related edit: I am currently working on a map to switch out with the Realis Map that can be encountered when Iliza goes to bed.

The main genres that I can think of with this are RPG and Adventure... As for flavors, I intend for there to be a bit of everything, but at the moment, I've got Modern, Sci-fi, and Fantasy

I don't know what to put for tags.

Last edited:

BlueComet

Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @JaeJaeCee, I had a lot of fun playing your demo and can't wait to see more of the game. I did encounter a bug after adding Nina to the party and going to the familiar bonding space, where the game placed me in the wall and I couldn't progress any farther. I think you have a great grasp of what makes text dialogue interesting to read and pay attention to.

The pacing of what I could play through felt fine to me. I'm really looking forward to seeing the classes and hope that they'll come up soon. I agree that the Realis map should be changed out, it feels pretty bare to me. The key (I've learned) to good map design is to saturate the entire area with stuff but not completely fill it. Sprinkle in some flowers or bushes on the grass to give the player's eye something nice to look at. You did a great job of that in the house.

At least a few good tags would be: magic school, witch, female protagonist.

Hope that's helpful!

JaeJaeCee

Emerald Phoenix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @JaeJaeCee, I had a lot of fun playing your demo and can't wait to see more of the game. I did encounter a bug after adding Nina to the party and going to the familiar bonding space, where the game placed me in the wall and I couldn't progress any farther. I think you have a great grasp of what makes text dialogue interesting to read and pay attention to.

The pacing of what I could play through felt fine to me. I'm really looking forward to seeing the classes and hope that they'll come up soon. I agree that the Realis map should be changed out, it feels pretty bare to me. The key (I've learned) to good map design is to saturate the entire area with stuff but not completely fill it. Sprinkle in some flowers or bushes on the grass to give the player's eye something nice to look at. You did a great job of that in the house.

At least a few good tags would be: magic school, witch, female protagonist.

Hope that's helpful!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
And I am sorry for the bug. I actually hadn't created the gameplay up to that point. I'm actually working on an entirely NEW map for Realis at the moment, as I didn't fully like the one that is available.
Thank you so much for the comment- I was actually starting to get worried that no one would play the demo at all.
I am really glad that you did! This helps a lot...

Alright, my questions...
-How was talking to Mrs. Zenwurth (the old woman in the cottage at Realis)? Anything that you would change about that conversation? Did you take the route that leads to Meridith, or did you get one of the routes that does not?
-Did the Nina encounters previous to the addition of her to the party go well? Or did you skip them? If you skip them there will end up being a Nina clone that will run around until you talk with her.
-Is there anything else that you would like to see added to the currently playable section of game, or does it flow well?
-What do you think of the introduction? Too long, does any of it not make sense, or not seemed to be spaced correctly?
-Should the initial conversation with Lacey be tweaked in any way to make it longer, or shorter?
-Is there TOO much information packed into Mrs. Zenwurth's conversation?

I've been more of an author my whole life, so if any of the words are off or the spacing in ANY of the game seems off, LET ME KNOW and give me a screenshot so I can find it a bit more easily.

Sorry if this is too much, I'm just so excited that someone actually played the demo.

Fireworker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds interesting! Coming right off of watching Mary and the Witch's Flower I'm getting a very similar vibe! Hope to see more!

JaeJaeCee

Emerald Phoenix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds interesting! Coming right off of watching Mary and the Witch's Flower I'm getting a very similar vibe! Hope to see more!
Thank you. Have you played the demo? If so, is there anything I should tweak or change?

BlueComet

Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-How was talking to Mrs. Zenwurth (the old woman in the cottage at Realis)? Anything that you would change about that conversation? Did you take the route that leads to Meridith, or did you get one of the routes that does not?
I didn't even realize there was a route that led to Meridith! So probably one of the other routes. If there's route/narrative-changing choices in the conversation, I think you should let the player know. It's probably a style thing, but I think most people are going to assume that, unless stated otherwise, most conversation choices are going to lead to the same place. Just a simple message stating that this choice will have consequences would be a good solution.
-Did the Nina encounters previous to the addition of her to the party go well? Or did you skip them? If you skip them there will end up being a Nina clone that will run around until you talk with her.
They worked well in that I got each of them before adding Nina to the party. I thought it was kind of funny when Lacey was telling me that Nina could be anywhere and to check the cracks of the house, while this cat was sprinting in circles around me. :) Maybe pause that event until after the conversation?
-Is there anything else that you would like to see added to the currently playable section of game, or does it flow well?
The beginning flows pretty well. It's necessary set-up to what seems to be the main part of the game.
-What do you think of the introduction? Too long, does any of it not make sense, or not seemed to be spaced correctly?
I think Iliza's suffering from conflicting styles in the beginning. You start off with a direct appeal to the audience from you, the creator, and then transition into a narrator telling the story. It's a little jarring for me, but it may work for others.
-Should the initial conversation with Lacey be tweaked in any way to make it longer, or shorter?
I love the conversation with Lacey! The way you work in her accent is perfect. The only thing I wish I had was updates on what I'm supposed to be doing after I get Nina. It took me a while to figure out where I was going after that.
-Is there TOO much information packed into Mrs. Zenwurth's conversation?
Not for me, and I usually err on the side of less info dump than more. Seems fine to me right now.
I've been more of an author my whole life, so if any of the words are off or the spacing in ANY of the game seems off, LET ME KNOW and give me a screenshot so I can find it a bit more easily.
I only noticed a couple of spots in the introductory narration where the spacing was off.
screenshot 1.JPG
screenshot 2.JPG

Totally understand that feel trying to get people to play your demo. I'd love it if you could check out mine, too! It's linked below. :)

JaeJaeCee

Emerald Phoenix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the help!
A newer version of the demo will replace the link above in a couple of days- this will include the ability to reach the Familiar Bonding space, a new Realis map, and several other things that I need to work on.
I am still trying to decide whether to allow the player to exit the room during the Bonding stage, or just keep them there until they can be moved to the Dorms- which will not be in the update, as I have to decide how to do the map.

JaeJaeCee

Emerald Phoenix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
noticed a problem in the current demo, where some sign events did not activate. Fixed it and updated the demo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you post the wrong download link to your game and wonder why it got so few downloads... :mad:
Trying to make it so my map is cleared of "random" events after the player leaves the map... to little success >.<
Had my first interaction with a legit homophobe concerning one of my games today. Tempting to engage, but pointless.
The BIGGEST immersion breaker for Sword Art Online is that Kirito keeps finding overpowered playstyles using "bad things nobody uses cuz its bad". Players WILL use bad gear BECAUSE it's bad.
When I said I'd make 20 games in 2020, I scared myself. Now it's mid-February, and I've made 6 games. So I got this. But, then again...do I got this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ally_dwight