RMMV I'll Give You A Gift [In-Progress Prototype]

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Kitsunekko, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Kitsunekko

Kitsunekko N00b Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Introduction
    This is the first RPG Maker game I'm committing to actually trying to complete. I'm currently making the prototype in RPG Maker MV but I might switch it over to ACE depending on if certain mechanics are more readily available for ACE rather than MV.

[​IMG]

The Premise
    Set in a fantasy world that's been ravaged by evil rulers and the like for thousands of years, I'll Give You A Gift is a story largely based around the idea that some people just get sick of being treated badly and aspire to completely destroy whoever is hurting them. Take Ravio, for instance--ever since his mother was killed and his little sister kidnapped by the Royal Guard, he's been training as a warrior, dreaming of the day that he'll be able to take down this wicked king for good and bring peace and hope to his homeland. One day, he discovers a book that'll give him the power he needs to do what he needs to do.
    upload_2018-11-29_14-14-19.png

The Main Character

Since this is a prototype, there really isn't much in the way of designing him. However, I have started on some of his proto-pixel sprites.
    [​IMG]
    Ravio has grown up on a farm his whole life. When he was a child, his happy family was ripped away from him, his mother murdered before his and his father's very eyes and his sister stolen away. Falling into depression and grief, his father became a raging alcoholic, and Ravio became emboldened to train himself to be the hero that the country needs. The only reason why he hasn't already set out to take the king head-on is because he feels responsible for taking care of his father and the family farm. Now, however, at the age of 28, he may be able to begin his quest and do what he has to do.

Mechanics
    For this game, I'm hoping to utilize various different mechanics that I feel would add more flavor to the game and help it stand out and be unique.
    1. Above-world combat system: A combat system reminiscent of the top-down Legend of Zelda, but fluent and dynamic. Ravio isn't a magician, he's a physical, hand-to-hand fighter--although this might be a limitation, as he progresses throughout his adventure, he'll grow stronger. Enemies that he once had difficulty defeating can be destroyed with fluent and elegant animations and combos, and you'll feel satisfied and challenged as you continue through the adventure to achieve Ravio's quest. However, I have never used plugins before, and when I did try to use a plugin for above-world combat, I couldn't get it to function whatsoever. I'm unsure why this is, and this may be one of the main reasons that I'll probably consider switching this project over to ACE instead.
    2. Proficiency: Depending on the weapons Ravio uses and the style of battle he prefers throughout the game, you'll gain proficiency in each skill and weapon. Rather than only Ravio leveling up, you level up his ability to use weapons, and by doing so, you learn to use more combos and abilities. This means that overtime Ravio will be able to diss out an insane amount of damage, enough to keep him in the game against incredibly powerful foes like dragons and giants. Some weapon proficiencies are harder to use than others, but all of them are going to be awesome. However, I am considering that maybe weapons... break. I also don't know how to do this, either. I can make maps pretty easily and I'm good at making events and scripts but plugins and coding is my Achilles heel.
    3. Sneaking: There will be certain parts of the game in which you'll have to sneak around to achieve a goal. By 'sneaking', I mean crawling around on the ground, on the ceiling, behind local taverns and in treacherous caves you have no business being in. Again, I have no idea how to actually put this in.
    I was originally going to wait until I had everything else for the game already planned out before I try to start on the above-world combat/sneaking mechanics, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to just build a prototype based solely around that. I'd really appreciate it if someone could lead me to a working plugin or at least inform my dumb brain of how to install and update plugins.

Feel free to ask questions about the world, characters, etc.--it'll help me plot out aspects of the story and come up with ideas to implement into the future project. Thank you!

The Stranger likes this.
  2. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did you create the sprite of Ravio? It looks great!

If you need help with anything, feel free to either ask the forum or send me a PM. I really hope this project goes well for you.

3. Kitsunekko

Kitsunekko N00b Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely keep contacting you in mind!

I did create Ravio's sprite! I had a hard time figuring out how to change the dimensions of the sprite sheet base so that he's actually standing on the map rather than just being a floating head, but I managed to get him settled in somewhat. Now all I need to do is figure out how to animate him, and how to do pixel work on the rest of the game so I can have customized tiles.

upload_2018-11-30_5-48-28.png
    This is sort of the proto version right now--just kind of an RPG character made from the maker for the time being. Is it bad I'm getting a bit attached to it? Mainly the profile picture--I'm not a good enough artist to draw it very well, haha.
    upload_2018-11-30_5-50-59.png
    This, though, is basically the template for Ravio at the moment. All of his movement sprites are just him facing forward, so he's just kind of levitating right now. I'll probably try spending the next couple of days working on pixel art and such alone.

I also found an interesting above-map battle plugin, but it... my computer still won't let me open .js files for some reason. Every time I do, this appears:
    upload_2018-11-30_5-54-36.png

If I can't figure out how to fix it, I'll see if I can find anything to help on one of the forum pages here.

4. sweet_bakery

sweet_bakery Villager Member

First Language:
    pt
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I appreciate your ideia! I would like to join your team If you allow me to. I am mapper, I think I can bring a lot of improvement to your game.

Kitsunekko likes this.
  5. Kitsunekko

Kitsunekko N00b Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think that I'm currently interested in joining or making a team right now, but I'll certainly keep your offer in mind! Thank you for the interest!