Illusion of CHAEL (DEMO)

Rogue_Ninja86

Writer/Game Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
An old school RPG adventure with new age elements that provides a unique upgrade system and rich story.

In the in-game menu the player can customize up to four characters each with their own skills and weapons. Choose from six roles to unlock new skills and perks for that character. Learn new TP modes to choose how TP is gained in battle. Decide between which stat to boost at anytime to fit your needs as equipment provide extra customization.

Equipment is divided into three categories: armor, material, and accessories. Pick one of three types of armor: standard, where defense and magic defense are balanced; heavy, where defense is high and magic defense is low and agility is slowed; and mystic, where magic defense is high but defense is low and agility is also slowed. Material adds a unique flavor by changing stats by a percentage to fit the roles or class of that character. Equip up to three accessories at once to further fit your play style.

Each character gets three weapons exclusive to them. Every weapon has a different passive state, their own weapon unleash, and stat growth. This game uses a special weapon upgrade system that powers up that weapon by visiting blacksmiths instead of finding new weapons like traditional RPG's. Mods are also used for both weapons and armor to provide more tactics that the player may choose from.

Start a new journey now with Jet Maynard, a young mercenary, who finds himself in the unraveling of a major war between rebels and the five kingdoms. After his fort is invaded and a mystic artifact is stolen, Jet decides to team up with other vigilantes to save people from the chaos of war.  During his adventure, he learns of CHAEL and its great influence on everyone.

The Illusion of CHAEL was created as a means to test out my upgrade system and universe I have been working on. I have tried to add emphasis on the meaning behind CHAEL and general philosophy that I think makes a deeper story and understanding of life in general. I also want to create a game that focuses on gameplay rather than fancy features and art.

So far, I only have a small part of the world mapped out but have many of the features already completed. I want to know how it's all coming together before I delve down too far. Let me know what you think. I have about 1.5 to 3 hours of game time. Thanks in advance.

Download Link: Illusion of CHAEL 1.1 (Demo)

shot3.pngshot4.pngshot5.pngshot1.pngshot2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue_Ninja86

Writer/Game Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bump: Since the lack of success with this game, I'll be working on a game using IG Maker instead. 

Schrad

Random Villager A
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello there! Just played your game, it's quite good, stopped at the forest village.

Your game is really good on it's beginning stage.

Here is a list of things you might want to know(it's just my opinion)

First, the good aspects:

• The Level system, really interesting, it's fun to choose how your characters grow.
  • The enemy levels, useful to know which monster is the weakest...
  • Battle musics, quite entertaining.
  • Mapping, it's interesting to have wide maps.
  • The Story, it has taken a good start.

Now, for the things you need to work on.

• The texts, I didn't see any grammar problem but you need to work on them. I think that it lacks normality,when reading them, I may sound a bit hard but it's like seeing robots talk to each other, you need to make it smoother so that people won't remark anything out of the ordinary.
  • Events, you need to work a bit better with transition, it can be seen that you're transporting the character from a map to another. Also,it might be an error from me but after the battle where you steal back the bloodstone,the boss battle music is still working in normal battle,
  • Mapping, Just a little thing, in the forest village, you can actually use the flower tile to go back without taking the stairs.
  • The enemy levels, I just think that some enemies are just a bit too powerful(the Lv8 Mantis decimating my party).

If I find any other problems, I'll tell you. Also, KEEP WORKING ON THIS GAME, you're doing a good job!

Rogue_Ninja86

Writer/Game Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey. Thanks for replying. As long as people are interested, I'll definitely keep working on this game. It was a lot of fun working on it. Glad someone's at least tried it. 

I always liked choosing how characters grow rather than just linear leveling up. I think it adds more replay value and better suits the players play style. 

You're right. I do need to work on the texts. I wrote the story originally for an anime series I am writing. So, I quickly realized the differences and tried to figure it out as I went. I'll try to add more personality and make it more immersive. Any specific npc's or parts that stick out the most?

I got the same error with the battle music and flower tile. Nice catch. I'll work on the transitions this weekend. I felt like I was rushing when I did them. As for the mantis, I'll play around with the attack formula and see if I can balance it out. I can't have that so early in the game.

Thanks again. I won't give it up just yet.

Schrad

Random Villager A
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
As a fellow game developer, it's always a pleasure to help, I'll try to finish it this weekend to give a more in-depth analysis.

Schrad

Random Villager A
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I AM BACK! Prepare for the worst!

Seriously, I'm now at the end of the forest with the guy who tell me "you can't go ahead!"(end of the demo?)

Here are other things I have to say.

• There are also flowers and bushes tiles in the forest that you can go through.
  • The money system is strange, most of the potions are too expensive, the only way to earn enough money is through the mods found on mantis ans snakes.
  • there is a bug in the event with the lunatic, you can actually walk away before the auto-walk event and make the game crash(can't move but you can open menu.)
  • The bleeding status has a few problems, you can't heal from it with potions, it halved the HP from Jet at some point, the state stay even after death(Yes, you still take damage after ressurecting making an endless death-life loop until the 20-ish turns where it wears off.)
  • I take back what I said, you don't have to reduce enemies difficulty, but you should set a limit to maximum level in a zone.(cause going from Lv 5-6 mantis to level 14-15 is a bit too much.)Or it can be an endless loop.(Going Lv 99 doesn't seem too impossible that way.)

I probably forgot a lot of things but if you work on this, the survivability will increase a lot.

Rogue_Ninja86

Writer/Game Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Welcome back. The end of the demo isn't until you reach the next town with a bridge sign saying that the bridge is closed due to maintenance. There's also a quest to do there. I believe the guy you met was saying you can't go North because I haven't built that place yet but you can go west. 

I'll work on the money system. The idea is to either obtain loot or finish miscellaneous quests for money. In the beginning, food is cheaper and better suited for healing as healing potions are based off percentages. 

Not sure about the bug with the lunatic; I'll try to recreate that and see from there. The enemy levels can be up to three levels higher. Also not sure how to set levels based in region. Everything else seems like a easy fix. Bleeding can be healed with bandage but I'll make it go away after death. Thanks for your input. 

Rogue_Ninja86

Writer/Game Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Update: 1.1 

Fixed: 

• Scripted events that allowed player to move 
  • Changed plant tiles to non-passable
  • Reset Battle BGM after certain event back to normal
  • Lowered enemy difficulty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was doing forge runs on D2 with my wife last night, and singing like a leprechaun to annoy her XD. I was calling it 'The Farge'
Is i possible too make a weapon have a chance of using a skill?
Can the Eternal Dreamers finish off the final boss? We'll see!
Fekken kill me. I unknowingly swapped out two important events's codes and saved the game to test it. I'm just doing this for fun and the fun has now been replaced with excruciating torture.
Is this how game developers feel all the time?

EDIT:
WAIT HOLY S***
MY LAST POST ASKING FOR HELP ON AN EVENT ACTUALLY SAVED IT
OH MY GOD
Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lymeish