I'm 22 and still live with parents

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Nemo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Too sad to say this.

I'm working on both my game development and earning money in academy, but until I finish my game work, can't leave this home.

Shameful myself.

I know whole world in recession todays, how do you do?

2. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I think a lot of places are like this. My brother is a little younger than you, and lives at home because he can't find work. I can afford to live on my own because the cost of rent for the place I live in is low, but most places here are pretty high. A lof of people are experiencing a lack of employment, or even worse, despite having a job, not being able to afford to move out. You're not alone in that.

Euphony likes this.
  3. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I still live with my parents and i'm 26.
    In my case i simply had to take care of my ill mother since i was 12 till she deceased 2 years ago and was not possible to work wile doing this. My father was doing more than i'd do if we switched places. My grandma lives here as well...so i have to take care of them and of this apartment by myself.

Working at home is easier, but here the recession is not allowing me to get a job and i haven't gone to college for reasons those reasons as well. I took a shitty game course cuz i had to go there twice a week only, in the end most of sheep i've learned besides using photoshop and a few sheep about GD i got by myself and here i'm.

For some reason my dad let me use my mom's card yet since our expenses decreased, but then there's the recession...

4. Skunk

Skunk Melody Master Veteran

First Language:
    English/Slavic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is nothing wrong with having a homebase and as long as it is mutually beneficial to you and your parents.. there is no shame in it.

I moved out quite a few times before I was able to make it work full time forever.

I moved out when I was 23 for the last time, Now Im almost 30.

Keep doing your schooling, keep doing your games and it will all fall into place :)

5. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Living at your parents at 22 isnt shameful at all, I never understood why other countries think so....

If you dont have a job yet you cant pay rent and while in university or while being in training you dont earn that much money either....

So instead of taking huge debts, isnt it wiser to stay at your parents house ( if its close enough) and pay them a bit of money you earn and help in the house?

I myself live alone but will move back to my parents soon because I finished university and am searching for a job... 

6. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow, so many people go to University.

In South Korea, once 80% of age 18~19 people went to University.

I was too, but I didn't matched in University at all, so I leave.

Thanks to my decision, I have no debt at all, and my brother enabled to study in better environment.

Without degree, will be there harder future in front of me, but I'm not regret.

But most of the case, go to University is a better decision.

Cheer up, everyone.

7. RoooodWorks

RoooodWorks Devil King Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just because u live with your parents it doesn't mean its a bad situation, i didn't stop living with my parents till 2 years ago, i am almost 30 and I am proud of this. Not everyone can afford or have a need to live alone. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed you live with your parents. Just be happy that you are happy and are at least working and even have time to work on your game. :)

Euphony likes this.
  8. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I left my parents place at 21 for Uni yet they gave me an allowance. I really became independent at 23 when I dropped Uni for working in a bar. I left my country (France) at 26 for Ireland, was supposed to stay a year for improving my english. Stayed 10 years. now I'm 37, back in France with a wife and 2 kids, and while I not really live with MY parents, I live at my in-laws with my little family, until we can both me wife and I get a job that will allow us to rent a house. (we have the savings mind you, but landlords won't rent to unemployed people).

kaukusaki likes this.
  9. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There's really no shame in the fact you're still at home with parents. Especially now a days, when the job market can be horrible, and housing and living can be astronomical depending where you live. I know many people in this situation, including myself, younger and older. Long as it works out for you, and those around you, all that matters. Granted, I'd still say aim for better, but that goes for anything in life. 

None the less, don't worry about it. You're fine.

Euphony, astracat111 and Skunk like this.
  10. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Shame? Why? You are only 22 ffs.

Also quite frankly, it's certainly not easy to become independent and get a house on your own, take care of it, work, pay the bills, it's one of the hardest things ever to create a family on your own and become stable. I can tell you that I know a lot of people here that are well over 30 and still live with their parents, mainly because they can't gain enough from their jobs to afford a rent and they are also single, there's nothing shameful about it, life is not easy.

I'll be honest here, I'm almost 29 but have been blessed by luck to have wonderful parents that left me their old house years ago (it's our propriety so no rent) while them and my siblings moved somewhere else nearby, so now I live there alone (without paying a rent ofc) and although I don't work everyday (I was a waiter but was forced to drop that job so now I'm a computer technician), I can afford to be independent and live decently.

I can understand not everyone is in the same situation as me, I consider myself lucky tbh but the time will come for everyone, sooner or later we will all leave and be able to create our own families and reach stability.

Never give up and Good luck.

11. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Stay at home as long as you can, until you have a stable job/no debt/can support yourself.

astracat111 likes this.
  12. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It is actually financially better to live with parents till 25+ according to many financial experts (not joking).

Free rent, electricity, food, etc will allow someone to save alot more money for the future (emergency funds, long term savings etc).

I mean it is harder to save up money the older you get (increased costs, etc), so this is the best opportunity to get your savings up and get yourself on your feet to stand on your own.

ex: If someone wants to get a million dollars by 65...

• at the age of 35 they would have to save $735 every month till 65
    • at the age of 40 they would need $1,135 every month till 65.
    • at the age of 25 they would need only about $150ish* every month till 65 (only 5ish dollars a day).

You might think 150 is alot, but you have your parents covering the vast majority of your bills and even if you make the lowest minimum wage (7.25) and only work 20 to 25 hours per week (standard part-time job hours), you will hit that mark and have some left over to spend on entertainment.

note: The point of this example isn't about trying to be a millionaire, it is to show the power of starting to save money at a young age (and what is a better time then when most of your expenses are being covered?) and how it could be incredibly useful to help yourself either pull ahead (or prevent a tragic fall in the worst case) in the future.

*the first two are more spot on in accuracy the third is more of an estimate I calculated out on one of the many "how long til I become a millionaire calculators," mostly to try and get a closer estimate of what you would have to save at your age.

13. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Everyone has their own unique situation. I'm 27 and I'm living with my disabled mother because we had to escape from a situation of drug abuse, from my father who won't be on this earth very much longer due to his drug usage. He became downright dangerous towards the end and we were helped to escape his house with the help of my grandmother. 

I'm currently driving at a part-time job while trying to create a game that I can then sell, although it definitely feels like time is running out for me, so I'm giving it one last shot this year, and then I'll have to move on. I love the job that I've gotten out of it though and I'm looking at now going into truck driving and traveling around the country, so that's pretty cool.

Do I feel shame in living with my mom? No way, in fact, about 95% of my income in the last 2 years has all gone towards my family, including helping my brother and sister out with financial issues. 

Also I love my mother, brother and sister. You tend to love your family more when all of you have been in real legitimate danger together. Now I'm trying to help my mother get disability so she can move into her own place, and for the first time ever I will be on my own with hopefully a career and only 2 semesters worth of college debt (I'm a dropout ; p).

As per my situation, I've spent a loooot of time in isolation, alone, honing my programming skills, my writing, composition, art skills. That's honestly why I'm lurking around communities of artists like this in the first place. Less people should care what others think if you ask me. Your friends will judge you to no end if they're not mature yet, but they will mature enough to know what suffering, sadness, loss and death is, and when that happens they should shut up real quick. Some of them will lose their minds or do drugs to cope. As for me, I'm going to try my best to do as much good for this society through my stories, as well as much good for my family and myself as I possibly can in my life. I really think that's the point of life anyway, doing what you love and helping those you love, as long as you are good to yourself first. 

Don't have shame, all the resources are there for you to use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
    kaukusaki and Euphony like this.
  14. DimShades

DimShades Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm 26, and currently I'm at my folks house. It helps that they don't charge me rent, but some people operate differently. Sometimes its good to be at the house to save money. Other times you really just wanna get the heck out. Sometimes those who seem to have it better don't always. 

I had an apartment for a year, and I couldn't afford it. I worked 2 dead end jobs constantly to make ends meet just so I could pay rent. and I struggled with electric and digital services bills (cable and internet). Water and gas was paid for by the apartment management so I didn't have to worry about it. But I had to do a lot of "yard sale" equivalent stuff every month to make sure I had enough cash. It was exhausting. So now I'm basically being frugal, while kind of being lazy on the side as well. 

15. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I haven't been able to move out, because it's pretty hard to find apartments in my area and i don't want to move too far away, because of the increasing travel time to my job. I'm paying rent to my parents and i'm completely independent, so it's not like i'm sitting on their money or anything like that.

16. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I guess it depends on the local culture.

Around here we have the foreign concept that in the US the parents kick out their kids once they are 18. Here i can't think too many examples of that, even going to the university is a matter of taking a bus to the local university and returning home at the afternoon, moving out when they get married... sometimes :stare:

It's bad only if you don't do anything for your family, or if you feel bad about it.

17. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm done with my today's work, so I'm home now.

Most of my friends are live with parents too, and have a hard time.

But everyone will get over it, right?

So good luck!

astracat111 and taarna23 like this.
  18. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Living alone, normally, would cost you like 20 hours slave-working a week (if not more). I ask then: Who has "life" and who doesn't :popcorn: ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  19. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Me and my sister are 25 and 27 and still live at home; her boyfriend is 26 and lives with his parents. The girl across the road is 25 and lives at home. I think it's pretty normal here though.

kaukusaki and astracat111 like this.
  20. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm 25 and I live at home, I used to be really self-conscious about this until my mother's health deteriorated and I realised just how bad the last recession hit my country (you UKers all ready for round 2+ now that we're leaving the EU?).  Nowadays I'm more comfortable with it since I know I make a positive change by being here.  Rent is optional for me, I just choose to pay it because I want to.  People often do judge those who live at home at my age but those people usually don't have an understanding of what it's like to not have everything go their way.  Maybe when my brother moves back in from University and has a reasonable amount of income, I'll start seriously aiming towards moving out again, until then though, I love my family and if I have to sacrifice some of my independence and pride to help them in these tough times, so be it :)