Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello Everyone,

Since I'm new I figured I should post something to introduce myself. I'm 29 years old, I'm a Gemini, and I live in NJ. For online purposes most of my friends call me "Dragon" or "Dragonkiss" but for some reason it wouldn't let me use my standard "Dragonkiss" so I used my Alternate of "Dragonkissed". Anyway, I'm new to all of this, but I've wanted to do this since I was 5 years old. I saw a Trial Version Download of RPG Maker MV, and figured what the hell why not at least try it. I've had so many game ideas, concepts, story lines, characters, class types/builds, and more that I always wished could be made into video games. So I'm gonna give it a try, and see what happens. The hardest part of all this for me so far is that I have no clue how to do most things yet, not sure where to begin working on a project, what areas to focus on/order of importance, and most importantly I have no Programing/Java/Script/Code experience at all. (I've never really even understood the formulas used to calculate damage/modifiers in other games most of the time) So this is gonna be very interesting to say the least. That said I have nothing else to do with my time, so I'm going to be doing a lot of reading/learning over the next few weeks. I'm sorry in advance for any noob/stupid questions I may ask, and I look forward to getting input/feedback about some of my game designs/ideas/concepts and if some of them are even possible to create. I know I'm new and just starting, but I already have some very elaborate/complex game ideas I've had for years that I've always wanted to make. Hopefully most of them are in the realm of possibility, but only time will tell. Anyway if you have any questions or anything, please feel free to ask. I'm looking forward to making new friends on here, and working together to create the best video games of our time.

Dragonkissed

Raijinn

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wanna be friends?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome! A good place to start is here.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-beginner-tutorial-series.63526/

There are other tutorials out there that you've probably already discovered but this is the one that was most helpful to me. It covers things that many leave out like how all of the traits work and such.

A piece of advice that just about everyone here will tell you, don't go for any complex or even large-scale games at first. Best thing to do is take a small idea, maybe even a single aspect of one of your larger ideas, and make a short game out of it. You'll learn so much making those first couple small games that your larger projects will not only turn out better, you'll be much more likely to finish. I only half listened on my first project. I decided to keep the mechanics and play very simple to learn the engine but it was a very big game in scope. I didn't finish it. I'm most likely just going to take some of the ideas and re-purpose them in other projects.

So yeah, good to have you here and best of luck to ya. Let us know if you need help with anything

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Raijinn Sounds good, I'll be friends with anyone who wants to be friends.

@Frogboy Thank you very much for that link. I didn't find that one yet so it should help a lot. I've only messed around a little bet with the tile sets and a lot of the options in the Database. Figuring out how to add/delete/change existing Actors/Magic/Items and so on. I was trying to figure out what everything is and where it is, but that's not working out the way I was expecting lol. I end up with more questions then answers, so I decided tutorials would be my best bet. I didn't realize how much time and effort would be going into this at first. Now I have a little better understanding of why it takes so long for games to come out. I think as a whole this is going to help me appreciate the video games I love even more! Thanks again for the link and the advice. I'm gonna try doing that now.

CaptainRadish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Welcome to the boards. The community here is great. You can count me a friend as well. :hhappy:

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CaptainRadish Thank you very much.

So far everyone seems very friendly and helpful on here. I've been reading a lot of the older posts trying to answer my own questions. Almost every post/reply is very helpful, and supportive. I've yet to read anyone putting new users down for asking question, or asking for help. Instead everyone seems to really care and want to help each other. I'm really not sure how to react after being on so many other Forums/Boards with trolls/rude people in general. I was actually really hesitant about signing up and using the Forums here at first, because I was expecting people to Toll me/Laugh at me for being a Noob to RPG Maker/Programing in general like on most of the Forums I've ever used before. Thankfully this one is totally different from any of the others I've ever used. I'm really glad I decided to sign up now. I was so afraid of getting Trolled making me so frustrated that I would quit working on my project due to not knowing how to do things. I really, really want to learn everything I can about RPG Maker and Making Games. So far this Forum has been more helpful then I could've ever hoped for! It's nice to know not everyone on the internet is a miserable/nasty/hateful person, and that some people really are nice/helpful just because that's who they are. :D:thumbsup-left::thumbsup-left: I look forward to working with and getting to know everyone here.

Apollyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I'm also new to RPG Maker and programming as well. I was also surprised by not only how thorough and helpful people were, but how supportive they are. This forum is very cool in that way. Good luck!

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Apollyon Good luck to you as well. I'm glad to know I'm not alone being new to all of this. I don't know much, but I've been watching a lot of tutorial videos. So far, I feel the best tutorial videos in terms of the most usefulness/informative videos (Especially for people like me with no prior experience or knowledge using RPG Maker/Programming) are the YouTube tutorials by users TitanHex, SRDude, and Driftwood Gaming.

Also Titanhex, SumRndmDde, and GBJackson have threads here that have their videos/links to the videos on YouTube.

SumRndmDde is already linked at the top of this page by Frogboy.

GBJackson tutorial thread is
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-series-lets-make-a-game-using-rpg-maker-mv.85015/

Titanhex tutorial thread is
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/thex-tutorial-series-from-beginner-to-advanced.72794/

I hope they help you as much as they are helping me. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm still learning myself, but there is always the chance I might know, or can link you to where to find the answer. If not someone else will probably know.

Apollyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dragonkissed Yeah, I've been checking out Driftwood Gaming myself; looking at neat event setups and sprite design. I honestly want to learn it all lol. I want to make a custom experience with my own tilesets and sprites eventually. Thank you for that, good luck to you as well. Every day is a learning experience. Same goes for you, if you need help, feel free.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Apollyon I'm the same way. I want to learn everything there is to know about this program, and hopefully down the road be able to write my own Java Scripts/Create my own Plugins. Also I'm not sure how much experience you have with video games and all that, but another thing that I've been doing the last few days when I need to take a break from watching tutorials after x hours straight is I've been playing a few of the Free Games they offer. I downloaded both Free Game Bundles, and I've been playing them a little bit here and there to see some of the different things people have done, and to also see what is/isn't possible to do with this program. Please note that none of them that I found were made using MV, but it helps to give me an idea of whats in the realm of possibilities to create. It also helped me to see what kind of things I Do/Don't like, and what I want to avoid doing/Wanna do with my games as well. I feel that by playing as many games as possible, that I'll be able to create better games by learning from others mistakes. Even a bad game can be a good learning Experience, and a great resource to see what other players liked/didn't like that made the game fail so you can avoid doing that. Anyway I'm off to YouTube Land to get lost in Tutorial videos for the next few hours. Have a great night!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr