RMMV I'm having difficulties with Description box being too small, can someone help me?

HiroDev-kinda-

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm a new user here, I know nothing about this program, and am currently learning bit by bit. So please bear with me.

I wanted to tell a story and I wanted to deliver some small parts of that story using the description of skills and items. The thing is, the description box is just too small for that. The text always gets cut off. So I tried searching online on how to enlarge the capacity of the description box to no avail. I also tried searching for ways to make the description texts smaller, also to no avail.

Can you help me? I truly think that this program is one of my last chances to convey the story I wanted to write (because writing it in a novel form failed. I can't properly convey the sceneries and the actions of the characters perfectly because of my ****ty english). I do not want to stop. If there's a way to enlarge the description box capacity or something along those lines, please help me.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since this is an interface change, I think you'll need a plugin, so

I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Requests. Thank you.

Maybe give an example of the amount of text you're trying to fit in the description, e.g. a full screen of text, or just 3 lines instead of 2? :kaohi:

HiroDev-kinda-

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since this is an interface change, I think you'll need a plugin, so[move]JS Plugin Requests[/move]How many lines are you trying to fit in the description? That might help people suggest an appropriate plugin. :kaohi:
Hm... It depends actually. Some have, like, 2 lines at most. While others that I wrote have around 4 or 5 lines. I guess this complicates things even more?

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I have been doing is to extend the box to 3-line height via a plugin, and make use of Yanfly's Message Core to reduce the size of the texts.
If you want to use a 3-line height box like mine, put the below codes in some text editor and save it as .js, and import it to your project. It is plug & play.
Code:
Window_Help.prototype.initialize = function(numLines) {
    var width = Graphics.boxWidth;
    //var height = this.fittingHeight(numLines || 4);
    var height = this.fittingHeight(3);//3 lines. Change 3 to whatever number you want
    Window_Base.prototype.initialize.call(this, 0, 0, width, height);
    this._text = '';
};
Window_Help.prototype.setText = function(text) {
    if (this._text !== text) {
        this._text = text.replace(/\\n/g,"\n");
        this.refresh();
    }
};

HiroDev-kinda-

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I have been doing is to extend the box to 3-line height via a plugin, and make use of Yanfly's Message Core to reduce the size of the texts.
If you want to use a 3-line height box like mine, put the below codes in some text editor and save it as .js, and import it to your project. It is plug & play.
Code:
    var height = this.fittingHeight(3);//3 lines. Change 3 to whatever number you want
    this._text = '';
};
        this.refresh();
    }
};
Oh, thank you! I'll try it as soon as I can!

HiroDev-kinda-

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Code:
    this._text = '';
};
        this.refresh();
    }
};
I tried your codes. It was fantastic! I can read several more of the stuff I wrote now! Thank you very much! And I can change it too? THAT'S EVEN MORE FANTASTIC! THANK YOU! VERY MUCH!

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just change it to whatever you like. It is not a plugin that is bound to some terms, just a piece of code.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Even more things I made.
Equipping Abilities is very important.
fLhHhZjh.gif
demonow.jpg

Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace Alpha Demo is Officially LIVE on Steam!

>> DOWNLOAD AND PLAY THE DEMO ON STEAM NOW!
Firefly130984 wrote on WallCat's profile.
Hello, I would try to beta test your game.
Parallel I would write a guide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choppicat