I'm having trouble with a bridge issue with VX Ace. Being above to walk under it and over it.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My mapper used two different tilesets but I can't copy it correctly. I want the characters to be able to walk under it when approaching it from above or below. But walk over it when approaching it from the left or the right. bridge events.PNGbridge without events.PNG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you need to make the bridge event two pages, with switches on the approach sides changing if it is above or below the player.
additionaly, you need to use a walkable tile and NOT a sprite for the event picture (those are below the sprites in the listing).

if that doesn't help, we need to see screenshots of the events to tell you what you did wrong.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok. so I made two different tilesets for walking under and walking over tracks. But when I switch tilesets on the steps I get this error. No idea why.

Attachments

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you actually swapped tilesets then you're doing it wrong.
Here is a thread that talks about bridges. Try the way I explained and see if it helps.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Try this tutorial

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is a conflicting script stopping it from working right.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a conflicting script stopping it from working right.
you don't need any script for this, and your map has to stay on a single tileset.

based on your map, you'll need FIVE events. The bridge event and four switch events in the four directions (your map screenshot only shows three switch events, the bottom one is missing).

1) bridge event.
give the first page a tile of the railroad as the sprite - you have to scroll down to the bottom of the spritelist to get the tiles.
set priority to "below characters"
make a second page
on the second page, set the image to the same tile as the first page
set priority to "above characters"
set condition to a switch "going below bridge"

that's all, no content needed at all.

2) create the two events above and below the bridge
both are set to priority below character
both are triggered by player touch
both have only a single command: control switch "going below bridge"= ON
no image, nothing else

3) create the two events to the left and right of the bridge
both are set to priority below character
both are triggered by player touch
both have only a single command: Control switch "going below bridge" = OFF

Finished. If the railroad is passable in the tileset (and has directional passability going only along the rails) this will work as you want.

if you want this on other maps where the structure is different:
just copy the bridge tile as often as you need to bridge the gap
move the switch controls to all approaches to the bridge (might have to copy them for larger zones)

And if the tile used for the bridge is multi-directional and you can't use directional passability, simply block the unwanted ways off the bridge with invisible events on priority "same as player"

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
set the scenery as follows:

-gap.
-TILESET bridge, drawn, with a tile set to "below".
-bridge heads drawn with tiles.
-events above the structure, as shown, type 1, 2 and 3.

nuevo-3.jpg

structure of type 1:

nuevo-5.jpg

structure of type 2:
nuevo-6.jpg

structure of type 3:

nuevo-4.jpg

when you step on a type 1 event, the bridge is reset to being visible.
when you step on a type 2 event, the bridge is set to invisible, AND, it pushes you forward to the first bridge event.
when you step on a type 3 event (which is the bridge itself) the event pushes you forward.

on execution, it works like this:
-set bridge visible.
-set bridge invisible.
-push player
-push player
-push player
-set bridge invisible.
-set bridge visible.

whatever side you come at it from, it always finishes it's routine with a "set bridge visible", making it visible for passing under it, and whatever side you come at it from, it always leads the "push player" with a "make bridge invisible", making the player walk over an actual tileset bridge that's always been there.

no through, no switches, no condition, no nothing.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar I know the bottom one is missing. I was just trying to get the top one working first. Followed your instructions but the characters can still walk off the side of the bridge. I also only wanted to make it so only one of the characters can cross the bridge but slides when he does.
Figured out the error. Had nothing to do with switching tilesets or scripts.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then you would have to move the top and bottom switch events one tile away and place blocking events on the side of the bridge. Those blocking events would be "same as character" if the switch is off and above character if the switch is on.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nope. Still not working right. Guess I'll try gstv87 idea.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Still not working right
What part is not working right?

I see from your image that you need to have the events on the side of the bridge as blocking events when on the ground level, but below characters when on the track. Can you show screen shots of the events?

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, I watched a 3-minute video and got it to work. Now I just need to know how I can get it to only slide over it by the third character and not the other 3. Still need help, please. Too dumb to figure it out myself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

I finished playing Shadows of Adam. With just the increased stat monsters and keeping gear from completing game, I didn't feel much motivation to play new game plus. I feel that there should be new content to discover if new game plus is part of a game, like Chrono Trigger's multiple endings, or the Diablo series' vast collection of loot and lore items.
A part of me wants to return back to the beginning and first two chapters and remake them with parallax map. But I have decided not to. Every chapter is just another step in the journey. No need to walk back unless I have to revise dialouge.
Hey guys! Good news!
I just released the Games from Brazil - Part 2 on my Youtube Channel! I am really happy that part 1 had 100 views and I hope more people will be interested to see the potencial of Brazilian Game Devs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS