I'm keep getting a 'failed' response in combat when I tried to use a new skill.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have one character that has the formation ability. He can use it to buff the entire party's defense by 25%. But I also have a follow-up skill that lowers his defense in return by 25%. And have both the buff and debuff last the same amount of time. I tried using Param under effects. But that will affect all of them with the Debuff. So I tried to make them into a common event but I get a failed response. I also wanted the correct icon for the skill to pop up when it is used. Right now it shows a spear. So I would like to know how to change that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we can't help you without more info of what you have already done.
please show screenshots of the database pages of the skill(s) and common events.

Most likely you should target the main skill with the effect on the party, and use damage coding to apply a state (not a buff, a state) to the skill user at the same time. This only works with states because states don't stack.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I haven't done anything really. I removed all the changes. So we can start from scratch. I don't know how to do damage coding.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I haven't done anything really.
If you haven't done anything, then you should not even discover the issue and make this thread.
this is not helpful information to help you, you must have done something and we must know.

Now to answer your question.
So I tried to make them into a common event but I get a failed response.
Failed response as in failed to apply buff?

I also wanted the correct icon for the skill to pop up when it is used. Right now it shows a spear. So I would like to know how to change that.
Buff/Debuff has a fixed icon position.
Buff started from index 64 to right and debuff from index 80 to right
You can see it in the default icon set. You are likely using custom icons that override those indexes.
The easiest way to solve this is to rearrange the icon set. However, if you want to change the index, you can go to script editor -> Game_BattlerBase -> Change lines 46,47 to determine the buff/debuff index.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I haven't done anything that can't be undone by me. The buff and debuff apply but it says Failed when I cast it over each character it gives the buff to. The last screenshot I changed so that each party member gets their own buff. Instead of choosing the entire party and then add a second line to remove the bonus from Jedd. Ok, I fixed the icon problem by changing lines 46 and 47. Now they both show the right icon. So thank you for that.

Attachments

• luk up.PNG
    luk up.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 5
  • luk down.PNG
    luk down.PNG
    69 KB · Views: 5
  • rabbit formation.PNG
    rabbit formation.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
  • skill.PNG
    skill.PNG
    68.1 KB · Views: 4
  • new tactic.PNG
    new tactic.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 5

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reason it says failed is there is no effect in the skill (besides the common event). So by default that will return a fail. You would have to find a script to let you change that, or put your effects in the skill and not in a common event.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How would I put the effects in a skill?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How would I put the effects in a skill?
Have the skill itself add the Luk+ state because it applies to the whole party and you've set it affect all allies anyway. Then the common event just needs to apply Luk Down to Jed.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it me or does his setup not do anything?
Luk up raises state rate, this is to make it easier for that state to be applied. It's not increasing luk stat.
It also is multiplied by 25, so that would probably lower it to 25% chance to have it be applied.
Luk down sets debuff rate to 25%, making it a low chance to remove the luk bonuses. Again not lowering the stat.
To affect the actual stat you need to use the parameter feature. raise luck 25% = 125%, lower luck 25% = 75%
You can also you yanfly target manager to have skills affect everyone but the user. If it's Jed that does this skill.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Huh, good catch. I never noticed that Luk Up was just decreasing its own application chance.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok got it working. Thank you.

Have the skill itself add the Luk+ state because it applies to the whole party and you've set it affect all allies anyway. Then the common event just needs to apply Luk Down to Jed.

The problem with that is that Jedd will still get the bonus. Increasing his luck from 20 to 25. Then it applies the debuff reducing it from 25 to 18. I tried switching it around so the common event gives everyone a 25% luck increase except Jedd. Had the skill itself affect the user only and give him the debuff of 25% luck. It all works now except now it misses some of the characters sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The problem with that is that Jedd will still get the bonus. Increasing his luck from 20 to 25. Then it applies the debuff reducing it from 25 to 18. I tried switching it around so the common event gives everyone a 25% luck increase except Jedd. Had the skill itself affect the user only and give him the debuff of 25% luck. It all works now except now it misses some of the characters sometimes.
Did you fix the issue highlighted above where your Luk+ state isn't doing what you wanted it to?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Increasing his luck from 20 to 25. Then it applies the debuff reducing it from 25 to 18.
Did you want to try Yanfly's target manager? you can specify all but user for the luk+
Optionally you can setup multiple skills and have one for luk down only applied to the user which you would set up the skill link for.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Did you fix the issue highlighted above where your Luk+ state isn't doing what you wanted it to?
Yes. But now it misses a small percent of the time. There is a chance it could miss on any one of them. Including Jedd. I want it to work on all of them. I'm adding screenshots to see if you can see what I'm doing wrong.
Did you want to try Yanfly's target manager? you can specify all but user for the luk+
Optionally you can setup multiple skills and have one for luk down only applied to the user which you would set up the skill link for.
I really don't want to add more scripts. I don't want it to conflict with other scripts I already have. Some of the scripts I have don't even work anymore and I'm afraid to remove them because they might mess up my game. I should say mess it up more. And I don't know if that would even fix the missing the buff issue.

Attachments

• class thief.PNG
    class thief.PNG
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • common even rabbit formation.PNG
    common even rabbit formation.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 2
  • Skill Rabbit Formation.PNG
    Skill Rabbit Formation.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2
  • State luck down.PNG
    State luck down.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2
  • State luck Up.PNG
    State luck Up.PNG
    60 KB · Views: 2

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't want it to conflict with other scripts I already have.
The target manager is not going to conflict. Every method that exists in the program is aliased, every other method in the script is new. It would be very hard to conflict.

How many scripts do you have. I currently have over 550 script slot entries.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The target manager is not going to conflict. Every method that exists in the program is aliased, every other method in the script is new. It would be very hard to conflict.

How many scripts do you have. I currently have over 550 script slot entries.
33 scripts and snippets. Some were added by my mapper. But she is long gone. I barely under most of them. I've had problems in the past with conflicting scripts. VE Moving platform stopped Theo Allen's Pathfinding from working was the most recent. So I removed the moving platform completely.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's understandable. Most of VE scripts will have conflicts with some other script by somebody.
Even some of yanfly's scripts will have conflicts with some other script, but the target manager does not cause any issues.
In my experience with making over 300 scripts work together VE, Dekita, Luna engine, fenixfyre, fomar mithran, Tsukihime, MOG, Sixth, DoubleX, Killozapit, Meowface, Napoleon and more - has been a long journey to making my game feature rich. This is why I ended up taking a ruby course. (I do have a programming background, from college years ago).
In all honesty whatever the problem was you had may be solvable, although moving platform is a difficult one as it requires pixel movement as well. I can see the conflict issues with pathfinding. That said, there are other pathfinding scripts so maybe one would have been compatible.
Regardless, best of luck and don't give up.
As for you worried about things breaking, just make a backup of your data folder before doing big changes.
1622424435399.png

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, I installed Yanfly Engine Ace - Target Manager v1.03 and looked at it. It just affects skill note tags and item note tags. If it working on states as well then that might solve the issue. What I'm trying to do is have one skill affect everyone but the user with the buff. Then give the user a debuff. I've done that with an 'add state' and 'common event' under effects. But it doesn't always work. It just doesn't apply the buff or debuff
I removed the moving platform thing altogether. Too much of a headache. Even though I paid a scripter to set it up for me. Turned out to be an extra skill I didn't need anyway. So now the pathfinding script works fine.
I tried taking a ruby tutorial. Got stuck pretty early on.
I usually give up for months at a time. That's the main reason I've been working on this since 2016. Probably the main reason I'll never finish this game. But it's nice to dream.
I do use backups. But sometimes the problem is still unfixable.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If it working on states as well then that might solve the issue
But your skills apply states.
I would use yanfly's follow up skills script and target manager.
When using the skill that raises luk for all but Jed, specify a follow up skill that affects only the user for luk down.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But your skills apply states.
I would use yanfly's follow up skills script and target manager.
When using the skill that raises luk for all but Jed, specify a follow up skill that affects only the user for luk down.
I have the buffs/debuffs working the way I want it to. The problem is that the buffs/debuffs don't always apply the buffs/debuff every single time. The success rate of the skill is at 100%. Is it because I have ex-parameter EVA+5 under classes? Ex-parameter hit 95%?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink