I'm keep getting a 'failed' response in combat when I tried to use a new skill.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not sure. You mean it doesn't apply after the buff is gone or the first time using it.
I figured out the script usage as well for the way I was trying to explain.
Yanfly Core, Yanfly Battle, Yanfly Lunatic Targets, Yanfly Target Manager, Yanfly Follow Up.
And it only worked in battle not in the menu. but it worked flawlessly.

Are you only doing this from battle? Your common event shoed the three getting luk up, but luk down can be put there as well.
do any of the states apply to anyone, or no one?

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A few times it doesn't apply the buff at all to a few of the characters (Usually one) on the 1st usage during battle. I only have it usable in battle. I can see it simultaneously trigger over everyone's head but the buff doesn't show up sometimes. It doesn't say failed or anything. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it's from a state or a common event. I have seen them both not activate.
Yeah, I put luck down in the common event as well but it still has a chance to miss. I did 6 different test battles. Using the ability once then started a new battle. Added screenshots. The First 2 battles it worked fine. Pics include 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th battle.

Attachments

• 1st time buff works.PNG
    1st time buff works.PNG
    613.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3rd time doesnt work on Jedd.PNG
    3rd time doesnt work on Jedd.PNG
    612.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4th time doesnt work on Brent.PNG
    4th time doesnt work on Brent.PNG
    610.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5th time doesnt work on Vincent.PNG
    5th time doesnt work on Vincent.PNG
    608.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 6th try doesnt work on Vincent or Jedd..PNG
    6th try doesnt work on Vincent or Jedd..PNG
    610 KB · Views: 1

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you taking those pictures part way through the battle turn. In my testing (trying to replicate your setup) I only noticed that while the battle was processing. When it finished all the actions the status was updated correctly.
This may help, but would be a change to how your doing it (slightly)
Ruby:
#Processes a common event before damage

# Use this in the skill/item notetag:  <ce_before_damage: x>
#
#   Where x is the common event id you want to run
#
# Ex.  <ce_before_damage: 5>  - Runs common event 5 before damage.

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base
  alias nel_common_event_previous_apply use_item
  def use_item
    item = @subject.current_action.item
    if item.note =~ /<ce_before_damage:[ ](\d+)>/
      $game_temp.reserve_common_event($1.to_i)
      process_event
      @status_window.refresh
    end
    nel_common_event_previous_apply
  end
end
Code by Nelderson - I added the status window refresh.
Put the notetag on the skill for the common event that you are running and remove it from the feature list. then the CE will run right away when the skill is used and the status will be refreshed to show the status.

*edit
Oh and I was getting a failed message as well. I set the skill to hp damage. formula 0, variance 0

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
btw, hit chance and eva won't make a difference since the skill is set to certain hit; those are only used for "physical attack".

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you taking those pictures part way through the battle turn. In my testing (trying to replicate your setup) I only noticed that while the battle was processing. When it finished all the actions the status was updated correctly.
This may help, but would be a change to how your doing it (slightly)
Ruby:
#Processes a common event before damage

# Use this in the skill/item notetag:  <ce_before_damage: x>
#
#   Where x is the common event id you want to run
#
# Ex.  <ce_before_damage: 5>  - Runs common event 5 before damage.

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base
  alias nel_common_event_previous_apply use_item
  def use_item
    item = @subject.current_action.item
    if item.note =~ /<ce_before_damage:[ ](\d+)>/
      $game_temp.reserve_common_event($1.to_i)
      process_event
      @status_window.refresh
    end
    nel_common_event_previous_apply
  end
end
Code by Nelderson - I added the status window refresh.
Put the notetag on the skill for the common event that you are running and remove it from the feature list. then the CE will run right away when the skill is used and the status will be refreshed to show the status.

*edit
Oh and I was getting a failed message as well. I set the skill to hp damage. formula 0, variance 0
It's the first turn of combat with Jedd going last. I checked after the battle. The bonuses without the icon weren't there. You already lost me with the coding stuff. I tried setting the skill to hp damage formula 0, variance 0. No change. It's not that the icon isn't showing up. I have it set so the buff lasts after the battle. Everyone that didn't show an icon had the same amount of luck before the battle. While those that did had the luck bonus or in Jedd's case the debuff.
@Trihan Good to know.
Guess I'm giving up again. Since I can't fix this problem.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I work late on the game so I sleep in then I wake up late so I have to work hard to make up for sleeping in meaning I work late again and sleep in again... what a nasty cycle.
I just had my first real fire. Dad made burgers for lunch and the grill caught fire. He tried to get water but I told him you should never put water on a grease fire. So I got him the fire extinguisher under the sink and we managed to put it out. I can still smell a little of the smoke coming from the patio, but at least it's clearing. It sure was scary though.
was rendering a video and window decided to bsod on me :D fun
Could not for the life of me figure out how to implement the dual/triple techs in Touch the Stars in a player-friendly way. Was describing all the problems to my wife and just rubber-ducked a solution that should work brilliantly.
I think I'm going to make each equippable item in my fantasy RPG grant a skill while its worn (in addition to the character's learned skills). Equipped gear that might be weaker in stats can still be useful in certain situations if the skill they grant exploits a weakness or resists a strength in the monsters being fought. This could potentially open up lots of build strategies to play with for fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urektra