I'm looking for Different Runes/Runic Writing for MV Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've spent the last few days looking for Runes/Runic Writing Tiles and Icons. I've found a total of 1 set of Icons that are runes, but I haven't been able to use them with the Sakan Tileset Builder. I'm looking for a few things that revolve around Runes/Runic Language for use in RMMV. This is going to be a Major part of the plot in a few of my games.

Right now the things I'm really looking for are

1. Any types of Runes/Runic Writing on, or can be placed on Floor/Wall Tiles and Possibly some Autotiles with Runes/Runic Writing.

2. If possible I would also like some matching/similar Runes as Icons for Attack Skills/Magic.

Also it doesn't have to be real Runes, but still looks like a type of Runes/Runic Writings. Something similar to this stuff

Zelda Series
https://assets.rockpapershotgun.com/images//2017/11/zelda-writing-system-620x320.jpg
The Unown rooms/floor in Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal
http://www.mobygames.com/images/promo/l/7392-pokemon-crystal-version-screenshot.jpg
The Map in The Hobbit
http://www.indyprops.com/pp-hobmap.htm

Like I said it doesn't have to be Actual Runes if that will make this easier. If you have any questions please let me know. Also if you can link me to some existing Rune/Runic Writing Tiles/Icons the can be used with MV that would be epic! Also I can do the Coloring/Color Edits of the Tiles/Icons if that makes things easier as well. I would just need them to be sized correctly to use MV since I don't really understand how the sizes actually work.

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this,
Dragonkissed

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of games/movies, etc, utilize the Elder Futhark, which are a runes of Norse and Germanic origins from around the second century. Your Hobbit example includes some of these. If you are able to handle color edits, etc, it may be quite a simple thing to edit these in as you need them? There is no commercial licensing required, as they have been around for just slightly longer than artistic license requires. ;)

Here is a link to an Elder Futhark Font, which might work perfectly for what you need. You will, of course, need to abide by the terms and conditions of whoever the designer of this particular style may be, but again, these runes are often used for a purpose similar to your own.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! I didn't realize that was actually a font with a name. As for the color edits, I just use a program to apply color filters where I want them and over lap them with different colors. Thats about all I know how to do, and is very basic to me. I'm not sure how to actually create anything to be used in game. I'm still having some issues just using GIMP 2 to add/remove Tiles to the basic Tileset Sheets lol. Anyway thank you for that link and I'll try messing around with some of the stuff. who knows maybe I'll make something somewhat usable lol.

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let us know if you still have trouble. If you find something you have the rights to use, such as a font, etc, we can probably put something together for you.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Icons are 32x32 pixels and mv's tiles are 48x48. Since you are using Gimp, open up your icon sheet from your games folder and take a look at how it's set up. The entire image is divisible by 32x32. Go to the image drop down tab in gimp and click configure grid. Set the grid to 32x32. Then on the view tab, set snap to grid on and show grid to on. No you'll see black lines forming a grid. They aren't on the actual image but are markers to align everything up. With snap to grid on, gimp will auto align your images. You can make your icon sheet longer if you want to add more icons, but not wider. Everything must be divisible by 32x32. On the tilesets, set configure grid to 48x48 and show grid and snap to grid. Full Tilesets are one size only and autotiles (a tiles) have their own unique format. But b - e tiles are easier to work with. Hope this helps.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let us know if you still have trouble. If you find something you have the rights to use, such as a font, etc, we can probably put something together for you.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind and see what I can do. That was why I said I don't mind if it's not a "Real" set of Runes, with the hopes that maybe it would inspire someone to make some. I don't know how well it would work, but if I was to hand Draw and Scan some of my own created runes, would that be usable to create tiles?

Icons are 32x32 pixels and mv's tiles are 48x48. Since you are using Gimp, open up your icon sheet from your games folder and take a look at how it's set up. The entire image is divisible by 32x32. Go to the image drop down tab in gimp and click configure grid. Set the grid to 32x32. Then on the view tab, set snap to grid on and show grid to on. No you'll see black lines forming a grid. They aren't on the actual image but are markers to align everything up. With snap to grid on, gimp will auto align your images. You can make your icon sheet longer if you want to add more icons, but not wider. Everything must be divisible by 32x32. On the tilesets, set configure grid to 48x48 and show grid and snap to grid. Full Tilesets are one size only and autotiles (a tiles) have their own unique format. But b - e tiles are easier to work with. Hope this helps.
Thank you for that info. I should probably start off by saying I'm a dumb as the day is long, and just as much of a noob when it comes to Programing, RPG Maker, Graphics, Editing, and basically anything that isn't playing an actual game. I'm a licensed Cosmetologist and Cosmetology Instructor. I have some basic (VERY MINOR/VERY BASIC) understanding/knowledge working with Computers in general.

As far as the sizes you are talking about 32x32 and 48x48 how does that relate to the actual full size image? I'm referring to if I click File, New, It pops us with Create a new Image and I have to manually enter the Image Size as a whole. I don't know what sizes to create for the Icons, Tiles, Animations (Not including the A Tiles cuz they make my brain hurt just thinking about working with them) and I don't know what to set the Resolution to/What the ppi should be/what that changes when trying to create/edit tiles/icons.

My main issues with GIMP is getting things to copy, paste where/how I want. I'm used to basic paint just using the box tool to select my area, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, then drag to where I want. When I'm ready to select I just click outside somewhere and do it again... GIMP doesn't seem to work like that. I'm also having issues with getting things to be transparent when trying to overlap images. I've been watching a few tutorials on how to remove backgrounds, trying to edit images, create tilesets, and that kind of stuff. It's still not working too well, but I've always learned better by doing, so I guess it's gonna be trial and error for a while.

I have the Sakan Tileset Builder, but none of the images I want to use/edit are usable. I have them all saved as .PNG files, but when I try to open stuff it says its not a .JSON file so I can't load it to use. I bought Sakan thinking I would be able to quickly make the Rune Icons and Tiles I wanted, as well as other things, but so far I'm not having any luck.

On a side note I realized I was trying to use Icons as Tiles, and that was one of my issues, which I have since realized is impossible to do...

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dragonkissed You can scan your own drawings and use them, as long as you format them properly. It'd probably be easiest to take one of the B tilesets and use that as a guide so that you place things in the right spots. But if you're looking for assistance with making your own tiles (and getting them working in mv), then it would be better to ask in the Resource Support section.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Its best to open one of the sheets in GIMP and see how it is structured. That's how I learned. Also layers are your friend.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dragonkissed You can scan your own drawings and use them, as long as you format them properly. It'd probably be easiest to take one of the B tilesets and use that as a guide so that you place things in the right spots. But if you're looking for assistance with making your own tiles (and getting them working in mv), then it would be better to ask in the Resource Support section.
Sorry for the late reply. I was dealing with some health issues, so I have been away from my computer. @hiddenone Thanks for the advice. I'm not actually trying to make my own resources. I'm just trying to make whatever I can that would be a usable reference for someone to make me Tiles/Icons. I'm sorry I didn't explain what I meant by drawing and scan it correctly. What I should have asked was "if I was to draw some runes/images of what I'm looking for, and scan/upload them, if they would be usable for someone to make me the resources based on my drawings?" I'm not sure how detailed the drawings would have to be for someone to actually use them.

Next - I recently started replaying Final Fantasy 4 The Complete Collections. While playing I realized it has the kind of thing I was looking for. On the Final Fantasy Wiki Page for Devil's Road they have a picture of the exact type of thing I'm looking for when I was referring to "Runic Writing" on "Wall/Floor Tiles". This Picture is under the Gallery for the Mysidia Side of Devil's Road in PSP Release, but it's not in the GBA remake of the game. If you go to the Wiki Page it's halfway down, and its the first picture in the second row of pictures. I was going crazy looking for images of something to show here as a reference what I'm looking for when I say "Runic Writing". I'm trying to get something like the back wall in that picture that I can use/layer on top of different wall/floor types. It's not really writing at all. Just something so show there is some form of writing there to be read when the play inspects it. I'm want to use that as the "Runic Writings" that will be used with some kind of book to translate in a text box/chat box, or make it so that only specific Characters will be able to read if they are in the party.

Just getting something like that for on the walls/floors alone is the most important thing for me. So if anyone can or wants to make something like that for me to use it would be epic!

The only example I could think of before was something I couldn't find any pictures to show. It was from Breath of Fire 3, the wall that also looks like this to get to (I forget her name) the Naga like Half Snake Half Women Master that teaching you some high level Magic.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dragonkissed Ah, in that case yes, you can definitely draw some runes to show people what you'd like (having a clear idea of what's needed can really help people find/make things for you). :) There are some tiles on the Dungeon_C sheet (near the beds) that are meant to be laid on walls, would something similar to those work?

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's close to what I'm looking for, but they also don't look right on most of the walls/floors, and don't repeat without leaving space/lines/edges/gaps. If you look at the Picture from FF4 the wall is more like an autotile that repeats. I'm not asking for anyone to make me an autotile because that is too much work, and I plan to use it on several different tile designs. I'm thinking maybe something like a transparent backed "Writing like Designs" that I can place on any of the walls/floors I'll end up using it with, if that makes sense. I'm hoping for a 1x1 tile, a 1x2 and maybe a 2x2 tile that can be repeated as much as I need that I can connect when I need. I'm trying to figure out whatever is the easiest for if someone wants to help me. I don't want to make them crazy, and I'm trying really hard not to be picky/fussy. I hope I'm not coming off like that, and if I am please tell me, because I won't know unless someone says something. The Spoiler Tag has some pictures to help see what I'm talking about.

FF4 Wall with "Writing like Design" effect that I'm looking for.

My RPG Maker MV Mess when I tried using the Dungeon TRP Tiles. (They also don't show any cracks/Damage like that either)

If you can't see it clearly enough let me know and I'll go back into RMMV and Resave the picture, or something to make it larger. Hopefully this kinda shows you better what I'm talking about/looking for. I'm not asking for anything as detailed as the FF4 wall, and I'm honestly not even sure if what I want is even possible. I'm crossing my fingers someone will be able to make something that a cross between the 2, or that will be similar effect when used. Thanks for being so patient with me in this post. I'm not very good at explaining what I want. As for the runes themselves that's not anywhere close to as important as the walls are. I hope this helped, and thank you again for everything!

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Another thing to consider is checking out cool fonts =]

these are by FBU

These are rather egyptian, by me

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think we can close this thread now, because I kinda have exactly what I need. I just need to do some more work with editing and placement to make them work right. Thank you again @GrandmaDeb for the help. You're at the highest level of Awesomeness now!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...
MY GAME IS NOW OFFICIALLY RELEASED!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinkExe