I'm pulling my hair out, what am I doing wrong!?

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello

I'm having so many issues with A2 tilesets. I literally traced the outline for one of them, and no matter what I do or alter, it always ends up looking like this. Also if someone can give me a template for A2 tiles I'd appreciate it. I can't find any

this is what I have in photoshop

artoni

Writer, Editor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dumb thought; try removing the black lines and seeing what happens?

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dumb thought; try removing the black lines and seeing what happens?
That just makes it a solid color (because I'd rather not spend an hour to make it detailed only to not work.) So yeah, it's the lines fault. But they're obviously in the wrong spot.

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bit of the image of stone path in the top right. The lines should outline the corner stones, not the entire square, and there should be no line inbetween them.

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The bit of the image of stone path in the top right. The lines should outline the corner stones, not the entire square, and there should be no line inbetween them.
Do you have an example? Because what I'm doing is just making it worse.

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try something like this. The black is where there should be lines to match up However that is only for the INSIDE of the little ledge on these tiles. If you are not planning on having that, remove the entire outside edge, marked with red, and instead place the black dot on the pixel in the very corners only.

50b74ea49a7de963e9c9d25cc3056aed.png

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try something like this. The black is where there should be lines to match up However that is only for the INSIDE of the little ledge on these tiles. If you are not planning on having that, remove the entire outside edge, marked with red, and instead place the black dot on the pixel in the very corners only.
No matter what I do, it's still not working, and now it looks like this.

artoni

Writer, Editor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you upload the sheet it's currently on so we can try it in our games?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
you're meeting autotiles of the same type together.
try layering the same path over a blank map, it should display correctly.
if that's the case, then your "floor" is on the same level as your "path" (same type of autotiles: they share a border)

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just place the black pixel where I marked the bright green. Only 1 pixel in the very corner. Do not mark where I put red or black

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
you're meeting autotiles of the same type together.
try layering the same path over a blank map, it should display correctly.
if that's the case, then your "floor" is on the same level as your "path" (same type of autotiles: they share a border)
Just tried a blank map, still having the same issue.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
you can't have the same issue on a blank map, because the autotile wouldn't be interacting with any thing other than itself.
and this
nuevo-1.jpg
is a tiling problem.

which wouldn't exist when layering the tile over and empty background.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have 6 tiles:

A B
C D
E F

A, which has lines along the top and bottom and down the left side, is not used for drawing at all. It's what shows in the palette in the editor, but it's not drawn on your map.

C has a line down the left side, D a line down the right, E a line down the left and along the bottom, and F a line down the right and along the bottom.

C and D don't have lines along the top.

What you're seeing is pretty much exactly what I'd expect you to see what that setup.

Here are some things to look at:

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/tutorial-how-autotiles-work/
http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/tutorial-making-an-autotile/
http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/easy-tile-making-3-autotiles/
http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

ozubon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If we go back to your original photoshop overlay, you've put down lines that doesn't match with the 48*48 pixel tiles and I don't think that is making you see things any clearer. You've boxed in every section as if the whole three-piece was one graphic, but that leads to the large bottom section to not have a top line, or the top right section to not have a left line and so on. If you want to draw consequential lines on a tilemap you first have to separate it into 48*48 pixel tiles and work from there. Like, make a semi transparent layer with a 48*48 checkered grid and you'll see where the individual sections begin and end. I'd say the simplest way to get an understanding of the tilemap is to fill in detail by detail of the original tilemap, working with it as separate tiles. But it's a little more complicated than just 48*48 still, so reading through the tutorials Shaz linked is a pretty good idea :D

octopaca

Not trash
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks. I've been using rpg maker for 3 years and could never understand autotiles. I'm probably just going to hire someone to make these for me. Def saving your post for future ref!

ozubon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No shame in hiring someone for the work you won't do but if you want to save some bucks it's not rocket surgery once you look into it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.
Either I just had one of those dreams where you think you're awake, or I have time traveled. I woke up at 6:58am this morning, heard my father leaving for work, laid back down, now its 1:16am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayato7729