I'm stuck on making progress for my game because of story

lil1I

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've spent 2 months creating my game's mechanics and such but now I'm stuck on one thing and I'm unable to complete it because of it. It's the freaking story. It's been already weeks that I'm trying to make a good story but freaking hell I still don't have a good one today. So I realized that this is my weakness and that I can't complete my game because of it. I then concluded to completely scrap the story so I can complete my game. Is there any game out there that you can suggest where story is not so important at all? I would like to try it just to get some new ideas.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A game needs either a story or a very good game mechanic to be interesting.

If you don't have a story, then your game mechanics need to carry the entire interest of the game - and that is only possible if that game mechanic is extremely interesting.

For example there are puzzle games or match-3-games where the entire interest is solving the puzzle and the story itself is mostly ignored.
Or there are battlegames where only a minimum of story connects the battles in the game - but that only works if the battles are very interesting and tricky.

Unfortunately you didn't even give a hint of what your game mechanics are. If they are nothing more than the usual RPG-staple then you'll need a story to interest someone. If that is something more and of interest you'll have a chance to get away without a story, but that will not be easy.

Qeo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Andar made good points.

I usually make a story that I would like to see in a game, and change things around in the story while I'm making it if I get ideas I like more. Ask yourself what kind of stories you want to see in a game, what you would find interesting.

If you really don't enjoy making stories than just work on game mechanics and design alone.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm, there are those silent game. It's especially good when you don't have way with words. They tell simple story by showing and heavily rely on creating atmosphere.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They tell simple story by showing and heavily rely on creating atmosphere.
That still requires a story - and it is much more difficult to tell a story without words than to tell a story with words.

Qeo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
That still requires a story - and it is much more difficult to tell a story without words than to tell a story with words.
Actually, mysterious atmosphere and having no idea what's going on while trying to figure out what's going on yourself can make for an interesting experience for some, me included. Would have to come from an artistic mind, though.

Yawgmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only game with very little or no story that still has rpg elements that I can think of is Pokemon. That game series gives you the same sort of goals each game and never changes it's core game mechanics from one game to the next. They basically just market new characters as the only real selling point in each game. So there are some rpg games with little to no story, but a game is far more entertaining with a good story than without.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Mmmm, there are those silent game. It's especially good when you don't have way with words. They tell simple story by showing and heavily rely on creating atmosphere.
But you'd still need to tell a story, even if it isn't with words. There has to be a plot, a narrative, a beginning and an ending.

I can't really imagine a RPG without a story.

The only game with very little or no story that still has rpg elements that I can think of is Pokemon. That game series gives you the same sort of goals each game and never changes it's core game mechanics from one game to the next. They basically just market new characters as the only real selling point in each game. So there are some rpg games with little to no story, but a game is far more entertaining with a good story than without.
Hmm but even Pokémon had a story, albeit maybe more brief than most RPGs. You had a goal (becoming Pokémon Master) but still met several people trying to twart you for multiple reasons.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, mysterious atmosphere and having no idea what's going on while trying to figure out what's going on yourself can make for an interesting experience for some
And what is that what "You're trying to figure out"? That is exactly the story that is needed in those kind of games. The developer needs to have this story even if the player never figures it out, because randomly placed things will destroy that atmosphere you want.
And that is what we have been trying to tell you: such games need to have a story, and telling those stories with atmosphere only instead of text and speach is even more difficult than trying to tell a regular story.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game is a full dungeon crawler that the entire game is just about exploring the dungeon and battles. Because I suffer the same weakness as you. Guess what, people liked the game. Maybe, you can do the same thing. Link on my signature.

lil1I

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game is a full dungeon crawler that the entire game is just about exploring the dungeon and battles. Because I suffer the same weakness as you. Guess what, people liked the game. Maybe, you can do the same thing. Link on my signature.
what game is it? I see 4 in your signature

There's terraria where you start from nothing and just explore the world the way you like.
But that is like minecraft where you can place items and I definitely can't do that.

I'm pretty sure there are games out there that doesn't have story. As I've said, I already give-up trying to make one so I decided to completely go "no story" rather than try. But I already read guides but still can't make one so I still tried. I just accept it as my weakness that I can't do.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even if you cannot create a great story, maybe just go with the 'means to an end' approach. There should be at least some goal for the player right? Maybe create a list of goals the player needs to accomplish in order to complete the game, then add a few lines of dialogue within the game to first present the goal to the player, and then to note the player has achieved success. After that just rinse and repeat. Think Mario. Very clear story, of sorts, with specific goals, not a lot of dialogue needed for the player to understand what they need to accomplish in order to succeed.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But you'd still need to tell a story, even if it isn't with words. There has to be a plot, a narrative, a beginning and an ending.

Uhhh, yeah? That's what I'm saying. They tell a SIMPLE story. It's especially good IF you have hard time telling your story using words. It still tell a story, but by showing instead.

---

Mmmm, how's this?
Even if you are not trying to tell anything at all, player will make assumption and a story will be created by itself. It just have to follow the flow. Is this viable?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Uhhh, yeah? That's what I'm saying. They tell a SIMPLE story. It's especially good IF you have hard time telling your story using words. It still tell a story, but by showing instead.

---

Mmmm, how's this?
Even if you are not trying to tell anything at all, player will make assumption and a story will be created by itself. It just have to follow the flow. Is this viable?
Yeah, but he said he decided to scrap the story all together. No story at all, isn't the same as a simple story.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Dungeon crawlers and rogue-likes can be built on rpg-like elements without necessitating a story. As Andar pointed out, you'd still need good mechanics because that is all the game is.

However, you don't have to work alone on this. You can find someone who has a harder time with mechanics work out a story you both like and discussions between you two can be about the overlap. If story is your one weakness, collaboration is very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just spent FOREVER troubleshooting an issue with my keyboard... turns out the cord was just loose OTL
I count on someone one time, I let them promise something to me, and one week later it's complete silence as I'm completely let down. I hate everything.
Everytime I need to write dialogues I find myself writing new music pieces... what kind of trick is this?!
Me Being Dumb spending hrs trying to figure out Irenas Visual Novel busts plugin..lol. I'm probably missing something stupid and obvious xDD

let the journey begin >w>
X.X ok... I guess I'll just have to think about 48x48 a little differently. Its not "room for more work"..."its room for more detail!...yay"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotADev